• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What would you change?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • The only thing better than a perfect game is a game that is perfect except for a few tiny flaws that we get to pick at!

If you were in charge of creating Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, what would you have done differently? Would you have tried to remain more true to the originals? Would you have added in any features that the developers didn't think of? Perhaps you would have used the DS's capabilities differently? Anything you can think of.

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
  • 1) The leveling system.

2) I'd let you put decorations in your room again. I miss that :(

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I think I have nothing to change at all, they implemented majority of what I wanted for a Gold/Silver remake, so I'm pretty much okay with it. :) .. The only thing that bothered me is Lyra, wanted Kris instead. :x

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2011
    hmm, maybe getting the gb sounds right from the start since it was meant to give that nostalgic feeling to older players. obtaining it in kanto almost defeats the purpose.

don't get me wrong though, i'm still thankful the developers even bothered to add that feature.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, the first thing I would change would be the disappointing final "boss" battle (and I hesitate to even call Red a "boss" as he is pretty pathetic as far as trainers go). I'm not gonna go as far to say that Red completely ruined my Soul Silver experience, but he certainly did bring my level of enjoyment down a few notches. The issue with Red I have is twofold: First, he doesn't have his Pokemon all fully evolved (and the one he doesn't just happens to be among the weakest and stupidest-looking of all Pokemon known to man) which is a big no-no; it left a huge opening in his defenses and made him absurdly simple to annihilate. Second is that he kept my favorite trainer (who should have been given her shot at appearing in the game) a complete no-show. There was absolutely no excuse for Leaf's absence aside from the developers either being lazy or playing favorites.

My preferred solution would be to simply replace Red with Leaf and give her a team of diverse (read, no overlapping types) Pokemon all in their final evolutionary stages. Unlike Red, she wouldn't be a complete pushover. Barring that, the DS dual slot could have been used to determine who you face in Mount Silver and what team they'll have, depending your character and party in your GBA game (with a default boss in case you can't use the dual slot). At the very least, the final boss should have been someone who has the intelligence to fully evolve their Pokemon so they pose some semblance of a challenge. As he stands, Red embarrasses and brings shame upon the otherwise solid game called Pokemon HG/SS.

Well, with the worst part of HG/SS out of the way, let's move on to other niggling problems.

*Rock Climb was a stupid addition. Did it really need to be included?

*The Safari Zone. No matter how much you try to sugarcoat it, the basic Rock/Bait formula for Pokemon capturing simply doesn't work. I preferred not having a Safari Zone in the originals.

*Please, let us delete Pokegear phone numbers. If you accidentially get Joey's number there's no way to rid yourself of it and you'll be regretting it for life.

*You should be able to select one Pokemon in your party to follow you around regardless of whether it's first on your list. With me changing the order of my Pokemon constantly, that feature lost a bit of its appeal as a different Pokemon would be there after every battle.

*Dear Mom: Stop embezzling my money to buy worthless berries and then pestering me over the phone whenever you do. That system worked a lot better in the originals because her purchases weren't nearly as frequent back then. Need I remind her that embezzlement is a felony?

*I want to acquire real estate and decorate it lavishly, like the Villa in Platinum. The beach west of Olivine would make for a nice setting.

*The Celebi event battle with Giovanni? Yeah, he should have been tougher.

*Did the female protaginist need to look like Mario with a balloon hat? In fact, why can't we have customized characters? And yes, I'm going to ask that of every Pokemon game from here on out.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Honestly, SoulSilver is probably my favourite Pokemon game to play. The only thing I can think of in terms of improvement is that it is very, very similar to the original Gen II games. For most people, that's exactly what they wanted... but I guess I imagined a slightly new 'twist' on the game? That being said, what Game Freak did was still very good. Huzzah to them and all that.

Years
  • The PC system is terrible! All the needless mode switching makes it take twice as long to get anything done as in Platinum. They also removed the multiselection introduced in FRLG for no apparent reason.
    Even B/W's box isn't as good as Platinum.

Agree @ using Kris for the female player and giving Leaf some sort of cameo.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • The only thing I would have changed was in some way having the user be able to choose Leaf being in the place of Red.

It still bothers me to this day. I don't understand why they didn't do that. HeartGold/SoulSilver should be considered more a sequel to FireRed/LeafGreen than they should be to Red/Blue/Yellow. Red was not the only trainer you could choose in FR/LG. I don't want to scream "Sexism!", but it is flat out wrong and inexcusable.

They were great remakes, but between replacing Kris and having Leaf be completely absent from the game they rubbed me in the wrong way.

*You should be able to select one Pokemon in your party to follow you around regardless of whether it's first on your list. With me changing the order of my Pokemon constantly, that feature lost a bit of its appeal as a different Pokemon would be there after every battle.

^This, too. I am really bothered by that, I always want to have Cubone behind me since Cubone is my favorite, but I don't because I want to use other Pokemon to battle. I don't understand why they set it up that way.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The levels, as fun as it was I still found the game incredibly easy! They could have improved from GSC by increasing the levels especially decreasing in some cases with Whitney's Level 19 Miltank. This was an issue with some people who played GSC so they could have made it slightly more difficult, apart from that I love HGSS.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • I too would change the levels. It seems like the all the trainers in the region have underleveled pokemon. And then the gym leaders and elite four have much higher leveled pokemon. Then when you get to the Elite Four you're team is around 40-43 and you have to fight level 50 Dragonites. I always have to grind alot before the Elite four in these games.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • A touch higher levels would be good, true, although I didn't mind it much (I don't find the E4 too hard with that level gap after doing a grass and bug-only run of it. =p And at least it is not too easy).

Let's see... I don't think the pseudo rival was necessary tbh (although I do like their theme music). Besides, the lack of mr no-face showing how to catch Pokemon was saddening.

Optional phone numbers would have been nice although I don't mind it too much. The amount of times mum would buy berries and tell me about it though I do mind... and I like her saving my money too. D= Lack of Odd Egg is something I missedand downsize of Mt Moon still feels a bit off to me. And the lack of decorations in my room I also agree was saddening. =(

Maybe there's some other small things that do not come to mind atm but all in all I liked the heck out of HGSS anyways. =)

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
    Years
  • I personally liked Lyra a lot, she is my favorite of the female protagonists. As a Sabrina fanboy, I preferred her old look in the previous games better. I wasn't a big fan of her new look. But SoulSilver is my ALL TIME favorite video game, Pokemon or not, I even like it better than Black and White.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    I honestly would have preferred your "childhood friend" to be more involved in the game. Like if they had made your friend your rival too. Instead of two different people. Thats my only issue with HG/SS otherwise it's a perfect game and an awsome re-make =D

Khall

Permafrost
    Years
  • I would have liked to receive the baby Pokemon egg from the Daycare Man like you get in Crystal Version. I was disappointed when I found out that you don't get one in HG/SS.

Also, I would have liked to have the decoration feature for your room. It would actually give me a reason to let my mom save my money :C

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • As mentioned before, I think the NPC Pokemon could have higher levels. I also would have liked it if some of the gym leaders gave the TMs of Gen IV, like Jasmine giving out Flash Cannon rather than Iron Tail and Pryce giving Avalanche rather than Hail.

flubbateios

lol, I would make the Indigo & the Kanto league MUCH MUCH stronger, when I played it through the league never challenged me, I always found it easy gym by gym and so on.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • lol, I would make the Indigo & the Kanto league MUCH MUCH stronger, when I played it through the league never challenged me, I always found it easy gym by gym and so on.
    To be honest they're always easy in any Pokemon game (which isn't surprising given Game Freak like going for the same formula that worked since rby, and the game is primarily aimed at kids!), but that depends on your team. If I want a challenging playthrough of a Pokemon game I go for a monotype run or the like. The league is far tougher with only grass types in your party, I can attest to that. =p

Years
  • The post-game wild Pokemon in Kanto just aren't strong enough meaning you'll have to battle Trainers for grinding.

But overall, a great game.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Lets start with the most annoying one, your mother calling you at least 60,000 times a day. I would also like to change the Pokemon Battle Frontier there, at least put new facilities instead of the same five from Pokemon Platinum.

:t354:TG

Back