• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What your preferred depth of story in a ROM hack?

Years
  • Hello everyone, I would like to check upon people's feelings on this and maybe start somewhat of a discussion.

I'm working out the story for my ROM hack, and I'm struggling to keep it simple enough without becoming standard and boring, and deep enough without becoming headache-inducing and cringeworthy.

I've seen different opinions on this forum and others. Good storylines are obviously good, but what makes a good storyline? Some people appreciate a simple and straightforward storyline. Others ask for depth. What is your view, and can you illustrate it with examples (without trashing anyone's hack too much)? Do you prefer a story with the level of depth similar to a Game Freak game (that is, little depth, very predictable and flat characters - but classic and easy to follow)? Or do you prefer something a bit more complex? When does a story become annoying and hard to follow? What are common pitfalls and things that turn you off when you play a game?

Personally, I absolutely loved Pokémon Gaia and thought the story was faithful to the original Pokémon games. But I also thought the mid section of the game lost a bit of momentum, as it repeated the evil team catching the Regi's several times in a row without much else changing or happening. That didn't make it a bad story or game per se (at all), but it would be something I would like to take into account. I personally don't like very fantastical and complicated stories, with legendaries destroying the earth and all that. But of course, tastes differ, hence me checking out the vibes.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I like a story with multiple antagonists, where you dont know who is going to be your main antagonist and what is going to happen.
    Example: rare Pokemon and very strong Pokemon is seen. There is the classical evil team that wants to catch the Pokemon for evil stuff.
    But then there is also a group of scientists who wants to catch it for science stuff. And your rival also wants to catch it to become a stronger trainer.
    Your decisions could maybe even influence who is going to get that Mon.

Pokemon Rocket Edition did this in a good way were i wasnt sure
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/His
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    Hello everyone, I would like to check upon people's feelings on this and maybe start somewhat of a discussion.

I'm working out the story for my ROM hack, and I'm struggling to keep it simple enough without becoming standard and boring, and deep enough without becoming headache-inducing and cringeworthy.

I've seen different opinions on this forum and others. Good storylines are obviously good, but what makes a good storyline? Some people appreciate a simple and straightforward storyline. Others ask for depth. What is your view, and can you illustrate it with examples (without trashing anyone's hack too much)? Do you prefer a story with the level of depth similar to a Game Freak game (that is, little depth, very predictable and flat characters - but classic and easy to follow)? Or do you prefer something a bit more complex? When does a story become annoying and hard to follow? What are common pitfalls and things that turn you off when you play a game?

Personally, I absolutely loved Pokémon Gaia and thought the story was faithful to the original Pokémon games. But I also thought the mid section of the game lost a bit of momentum, as it repeated the evil team catching the Regi's several times in a row without much else changing or happening. That didn't make it a bad story or game per se (at all), but it would be something I would like to take into account. I personally don't like very fantastical and complicated stories, with legendaries destroying the earth and all that. But of course, tastes differ, hence me checking out the vibes.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

A simple story with depth would be great in my opinion.
    Having more than one rival is quite entertaining and making decisions that can affect the ending of the story is a great concept because the player feels that he/she has "control" over his/her fate

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2021
    I like a story that doesn't treat you like a child. is well written (natch) actual interesting puzzles would be cool. has characters that are Likable, with a Gary or two thrown into the mix. and if the rival character is a bit of a prick, thats fine, just makes it feel great when you send his Pokémon into orbit. but PLEASE do not go overboard on the prickishness okay. it just ruins the game when theres a character you yourself GENUINELY despise!! with a passion!. >:( ...eh Hem, any ways..

I would like to see, not a team of bad guys ie Team rocket, Team Flair, Team Galactic, what's with all the teams? like an actual criminal/evil/secret organization thats a group of criminals/corporates, cult leaders etc. whatever. you know actual bad guys that want to do actually pretty bad things. not edgy bad but you know. like if you can actually make the VILLAINs of the game make you actually hate them and want to destroy them all, that, THAT is a good thing, a rival on the other hand, someone you will run into often, not so much.

You can safely ignore this part just a suggestion is all, whatever. hm, "Moral choice system"... of some fashion

Make the game an ACTUAL RPG. you can play the game where you're a goody clown shoes like your typical Pokémon game, or just a guy that could care less and just wants to make his Pokémon stronger and to hell with everything/one else ..until he/she's forced to deal with the evil organization because fuck all that being under the boot of some weak Margot. Or you yourself could be a prick and eventually usurp the evil Organization and take over you know instead of the Pokémon league you could take over the land and the world and the GALAXY! O_O. LOL whatever. would be neat is all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Online now
    Anything original. My only dislike is a carbon copy of a maingame story. I think my only exception is gaia...because the entire point seemed to be a replica of a mainline game.

Even something super edgy is more entertaining to me than a carbon coby.

Back