• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What's taking them so long to reveal the starter evolutions?

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
If memory serves, it wasn't too long after they revealed the Generation V starters that the evolutions were also leaked. I'm pretty sure that the Gen V starter evolutions were leaked well before this point. So, the question I wanna ask is, why do you think they're taking so long to reveal the evolutions for the Gen VI starters? I wanna see them so I can at least make up my mind on which one to choose. I choose starters on the basis of their evolutions, usually.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Starter evolutions weren't revealed until near release last time...and they weren't supposed to be revealed then. Gamefreak may not reveal the starters at all this time to allow us to be able to discover them ourselves.

We get one more Major update which is said to have new Pokemon, New Mega Evolutions, and the Type Chart. I don't think we'll get the Starter Evolutions until we play the games.

Either way people have an equal chance not to like the outcome.

Years
I personally agree with Xander there, there's a reason why the starter evolutions tend to not be revealed until after game release. While the 5th Gen starters' evolutions were leaked not long before the game release, which is a bit of an oddity, I do admit that for reasons like Xander stated, they probably want the players to discover the starter evolutions themselves.

And like he also said, next CoroCoro will be showing off more new Mega Evolutions, more of the new Kalos region Pokemon and the new type chart accommodating the Fairy-type. We probably won't see starter evolutions until after the games come out, because I remember going through similar experiences when I first saw the 3rd and 4th Gen starters, but that was before I started following Pokemon news via Bulbapedia and Serebii.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When it comes to revealing starter evolutions, they like to take their time and do it slowly. According to Serebii.net, they'll be revealing new Pokémon and Mega Evolutions in next month's issue of CoroCoro, as well as some information regarding fairy-type Pokémon. If we're lucky enough, maybe we'll be able to see them then?

This will probably be the last issue of CoroCoro before X and Y are released in October. If they don't reveal the evolutions, then we'll have to play the game and see for ourselves. Haha.

blue

gucci
Years
They're keeping us in suspense until they reveal last minute that Fennekin is Fire/Fighting obviously! No but iirc they held of the Starter Evolutions for Black and White until the month before the release, so I'd expect them to be revealed in September which is next month which will probably be via The Official Website or CoroCoro.

Although, I would like for them not to be revealed and in order to find them out you would have to play the game and evolve them yourself but I don't think that's likely really to happen

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I do not think the starter evolutions will be released before the games' release, but I wish they would be. I remember I completely change my mind with starter choice based on evolutions in the past. This will be the first time I'll get a pokemon game on it's release day, yet I'll probably wait for this information to come online before I start my game.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I'd rather find out how they looked myself, which everyone will probably find out at gamescom as I think everyone's gonna try and level the starters up at the gamescom demo =P

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
I'd rather find out how they looked myself, which everyone will probably find out at gamescom as I think everyone's gonna try and level the starters up at the gamescom demo =P

Yeah, I was thinking this myself. I'm sure a few people would take that advantage to train up their starter as much as possible to evolve it in the demo. However, this is implied that the starters will be available within the demo. If I remember correctly it's mainly focused around mega evolution.

If not, then this just shows that they really want to keep their evolutions hidden until later, preferably until the release date. I'm not too sure if I will either look online for the evolutions when the games come out, or find out for myself.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
I think that they are purposely Building suspense They have already given Clues to how the new starters types and Its either they will not at all leak them or They will leak them Just before the release...Most probably I think All of them will look badass..
Fennekin Is a fox So Im guessing It will look a lot like Zoroark
Chespin I dont know how that will look like
Froakie Now This Is Waiting for It will be badass Sort of like A good looking Toxicroak :3

Besides The Designs of nintendo Are getting Worse by the Minute So Im not really looking forward to gen 6

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I want to see how Litleo evolves, if it becomes boss then I may pass on Fennekin.

One thing I remember, though, is that, back when GSC was the new thing, I didn't know what Tyranitar was so I trained a Larvitar specifically to find out. I thought it would become Mothra, but I got Godzilla instead!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Well, I don't work at Game freak so I'll never know. Either way, the game's coming out in less than 2 months, so we can all wait.

Nailed it on the head.

On top of that, they've revealed so many large aspects of the game, there's not a whole lot they're keeping a secret anymore outside of the major things that pretty much every game wouldn't release ahead of time, so I'm pretty grateful we know how much we do. Of course, I'd love to know the starter evolutions ahead of time as well to help me make a decision, but I'm perfectly fine waiting until release and discovering it on my own akin to days where we didn't have internet to spoil the games for us =P

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
I guess you guys are right. I think I confused the experience from last generation with every generation, cuz now I remember playing Diamond and having no clue what my Chimchar was gonna look like until it became a Monferno.

However, I just really wanna know cuz I'm currently stuck between Fennekin and Chespin and knowing what their final stages look like and their typing would help me a lot in deciding between them. I'm not going with Fennekin if its either Fire/Fighting or or if its final stage looks too much like Ninetales, cuz then, what's the point really?

...Most probably I think All of them will look badass..
Fennekin Is a fox So Im guessing It will look a lot like Zoroark
Chespin I dont know how that will look like
Froakie Now This Is Waiting for It will be badass Sort of like A good looking Toxicroak :3

Besides The Designs of nintendo Are getting Worse by the Minute So Im not really looking forward to gen 6

Its a little weird that you say that you think they'll all look good and then say that the designs are getting worse by the minute. Anyway, I disagree with your second point. I think that these starters look just as good, if not better than, the first generation starters. But, then again, I've always liked the starter designs in every generation. There's always been at least one starter in each generation that really appealed to me, and the other one(s) I could at least tolerate.

I mean, look at Samurott and tell me it doesn't look just as cool as Blastoise. Its a freakin' samurai/giant sea otter combo. How is that not cool? Also, Hydreigon's design, to me, was much cooler than Dragonite's. There I said it!

Also, look at Xerneas and Yveltal's designs. Compare them to Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos. IMO, they're not necessarily better, but they're much more "epic" looking. They're much more intricate, whereas the legendary birds' designs are a bit simplistic.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic, but I just wanted to make my case.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
:'( But I don't wanna wait to see if Fennekin is a Fire/Fighting. I be truely mad then

You'd be truely mad if it were Fire/Fighting now, so I don't see any difference between now or later.

Either way, they are giving us a Torchic for free. I think I said this here, but its like they are saying: You are going to absolutely hate the new Fire Starter so let us give you the best one ever made so you can start with something else and still have an epic Fire Starter on your team.

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
I have hopes for the starter evolutions. Unfortunately, the better they are the longer to take to be released.

Or maybe they'll keep it a secret until the game's offical release (and then Bulbapedia will get to it). But until then, suspennnssseeee.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
The starters they've shown aren't actually the starters. They're just ploys. It's a sham!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So... who else here thinks Chespin is definitly going to become half Rock type? His final evo is most likely going to be Grass/Rock.

That's the boat I'm on. Grass/Rock, Fire/Fighting OR Fire/Fairy, and Water/Dark OR Water/Flying

Froakie really doesn't show any support, but when it was said it may be a Ninja, I just wanted it to become a ninja~

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I see Froakie being pure water sadly...
Fennekin will proably gain the Psychic, Fairy, or Fighting type as a secondary type.
Chespin may gain Rock...

Maybe all three could have one of the non gen 1 types with Fennekin getting Fairy, Chespin Steel, and Froakie Dark :)

Back