• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What's the all the hating on 3rd Gen

manhattan

missing in action
Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    RSE saga pwns :D

The contests, the Torchic, the animations, the graphics, Brendan and May totally love each other, the running shoes, the secret bases, and the fact that the routes' and the cities' design were completely awesome, when in other games they didn't, is why I love the RSE saga the best.

Although I did quite miss the DayNight system. :(

I'd love if they made a remake, (with somewhat of a better plot, less legendaries, and more shippy moments, hellz yeah) but for now I think it's waay too soon.

And although that while diving it took ages to move, I loved it so-very much.
    <3

extramaster

Pokemon Diamond master
    Years
  • Just too hard

Pokemon ruby is too hard compared to pokemon diamond or firered. Why ??? Because I spent nearly 5 hrs trying to catch that Groudon (translated to kyogre in sapphire) and only 30mins catching dialaga (in diamond).
    P.s. You're not a n00b playing r/s/e because it is the hardest pokemon game there is

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Reasons RSE sucked:

→ TOO MANY LEGENDARIES

Wait, wait, wait. What? Too many? Are you sure you're not confusing this with fourth-gen? There were only ten Hoenn legends, and the most you could get in any one game was seven, only a couple more than the last two gens.

Bah, I loved the third-gen games as much as first and second. Sure, the surfing area could have been shrunken some, but other than that, there's really nothing that severely detracted from the game. I think the reason people bash on Hoenn so much is because it was just so different from the previous two regions (I've noticed there's next to no FRLG bashing, and I'm guessing that's 'cause it's Kanto). Basically a classic case of the unpleasable fanbase's "they changed it now it sucks."

If it had been too much like Kanto and Johto people would probably still be complaining.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2009
    The third gen was wonderful, despite a few flaws (mainly, the excessive amount of water and surfing) but I also didn't like the third gen because of it's low leveled wild pokemon. Like, after you beat the game Pokemon in the wild never go pass 50, even in Victory Road. Training Pokemon to high levels is tedious in the third gen because of this, and the only places to really fight high-level pokemon are the Elite Four and legendaries. Unlike FRLG, where there are the islands to explore that have more pokemon, as well as the Elite Four's difficulty increasing when rematching them, as well and D/P/Pt's new places to explore and high leveled wild pokemon that exceed the 50s.

Also, the third gen doesn't really open up any new places to explore once you beat the game, making it dull. This is unlike FRLG, which introduced the islands, and D/P/Pt has Survival Area, Battle Area, and Stark Mountain, as well as Battle Tower/Battle Frontier. Once you beat R/S/E, there's no new area to go to. Just the same old places...(except Battle Frontier in Emerald, but that doesn't make up for a lack of new things to do after beating the Elite Four)

キラキラ

KiraKira
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    The 3rd generation just doesn't hold my attention anymore...
    Maybe it's the weak beginning.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Hoenn is my favorite region. Sinnoh is too advanced, Johto is okay, and Kanto is too generic. Hoenn's perfect. Emerald is my favorite game too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    I didn't really like 3rd Gen because it was around the time that everyone who grew up on the original RBY games completely lost interest. I loved 1st and 2nd gen because I was around 9-12 years old at the time, and all of my friends were into Pokemon. By the time 3rd Gen came out, I was in high school and I didn't know anyone who played.

Then with 4th Gen, suddenly Pokemon became popular again (in my senior year of high school XD) and it was loads of fun playing with everyone.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Hoenn games were not that great in my opinion. FRLG were better but I really liked some of Hoenn's features: Some Pokemon like Blaziken, Swampert, Dusklops etc, A very cool champ*coughstevencough*, a legend oriented storyline etc. At the end of the day, I really don't hate them but I don't like them like FRLG or DPPt and RBY or GSC.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Wait, wait, wait. What? Too many? Are you sure you're not confusing this with fourth-gen? There were only ten Hoenn legends, and the most you could get in any one game was seven, only a couple more than the last two gens.

Bah, I loved the third-gen games as much as first and second. Sure, the surfing area could have been shrunken some, but other than that, there's really nothing that severely detracted from the game. I think the reason people bash on Hoenn so much is because it was just so different from the previous two regions (I've noticed there's next to no FRLG bashing, and I'm guessing that's 'cause it's Kanto). Basically a classic case of the unpleasable fanbase's "they changed it now it sucks."

If it had been too much like Kanto and Johto people would probably still be complaining.
    Gen I: Trio + Mewtwo + Mew = 5 (Unobtainable: Mew)
    Gen II: Trio + 2 Version-specific + Celebi = 7 (Unobtainable: Celebi)
    Gen III: Trio + 2 version-specific + 1 Rayquaza + 2 roaming + Jirachi + Deoxys = 10 (Unobtainable: The one out of your version, Deoxys, Jirachi, Lati@s)

(By "unobtainable", I mean without attending an event, trading with someone, or using other questionable means, you couldn't get the Pokemon on your own cartridge.)

It's not so much the fact that there are a bunch of legendaries (and I guess you could take out Deoxys if you aren't counting FRLG as gen 3) but moreso that it's impossible to obtain some of them. DPP took this idea and ran with it, making it worse, but at least by Gen 4 we had Wi-Fi so it was possible to trade for Pokemon you didn't have no matter where you were. With Gen 3 though? If I didn't know anyone with another gameboy + opposite version, I wouldn't be able to get Kyogre or Latias in my Ruby. I happened to have a friend who could get me a Jirachi from a preorder bonus (which iirc wasn't even advertised here? @_@) but... otherwise, I'd be right out of luck. If you do count Deoxys, then there's one I really *couldn't* get if it weren't for Wi-Fi because events weren't (and still aren't) widely distributed.

:| It may not be as big an offender as Gen 4 for adding lots of legendaries but it started the literal "version specific" legendary (and imo, really didn't help with the event legendary thing) so that's why I list legendaries as one of the things that really ticked me off about the games. I guess maybe "too many" legendaries was the wrong way to put it but I do still feel it had too many all the same, haha.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Gen I: Trio + Mewtwo + Mew = 5 (Unobtainable: Mew)
    Gen II: Trio + 2 Version-specific + Celebi = 7 (Unobtainable: Celebi)
    Gen III: Trio + 2 version-specific + 1 Rayquaza + 2 roaming + Jirachi + Deoxys = 10 (Unobtainable: The one out of your version, Deoxys, Jirachi, Lati@s)

(By "unobtainable", I mean without attending an event, trading with someone, or using other questionable means, you couldn't get the Pokemon on your own cartridge.)

It's not so much the fact that there are a bunch of legendaries (and I guess you could take out Deoxys if you aren't counting FRLG as gen 3) but moreso that it's impossible to obtain some of them. DPP took this idea and ran with it, making it worse, but at least by Gen 4 we had Wi-Fi so it was possible to trade for Pokemon you didn't have no matter where you were. With Gen 3 though? If I didn't know anyone with another gameboy + opposite version, I wouldn't be able to get Kyogre or Latias in my Ruby. I happened to have a friend who could get me a Jirachi from a preorder bonus (which iirc wasn't even advertised here? @_@) but... otherwise, I'd be right out of luck. If you do count Deoxys, then there's one I really *couldn't* get if it weren't for Wi-Fi because events weren't (and still aren't) widely distributed.

:| It may not be as big an offender as Gen 4 for adding lots of legendaries but it started the literal "version specific" legendary (and imo, really didn't help with the event legendary thing) so that's why I list legendaries as one of the things that really ticked me off about the games. I guess maybe "too many" legendaries was the wrong way to put it but I do still feel it had too many all the same, haha.

Eh, no harm meant. I suppose it depends really based on each individual's experience playing the game, since unlike you, I never had the opportunity to trade with others until fourth-gen, and even now that's only in person, not Wi-Fi. What I meant though was the ones you could obtain on your own with one cartridge. So I was using your definition of unobtainable, I guess. Ah, well, it's not a serious matter to me, but I see your point.

But wow, I forgot third-gen started version-specific legends. My memory's starting to slip...

manhattan

missing in action
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    I love third-gen.
    Most people complain about all the water and stuff.
    (I don't, since I can buy repels and I really, really loved to dive.)

But the graphics were awesome, and so were the shipping hints. (Which is one of the main reasons for me to like these games.)
    Emerald is my favorite too.
    <3

CrystalFlow

Fun Trainer
    Years
  • I loved the third gen, because I love water and it brought me back into the world of Pokemon after a hiatus. I personally really enjoyed the storyline, the Pokemon and secret bases. It was a good game which is why i just started playing through it again!

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2010
    RSE were great. But they could've been excellent if they contained most pokémon like GSC did when compared to RBY.

Yeah, that was it for me too! After all of the excitement of having two worlds to play in in GSC, it was just a bit disappointing to suddenly come back down to just one world :( Plus, I wasn't as keen on the new pokemon from this generation - I found it harder to remember them all :S XD

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • When all of my friends were playing Sapphire, I was still replaying Gold, Crystal, and Yellow.
    I never got a Gameboy Advance, and I jumped to the DS when it came out, so I've never really played much of the 3rd Gen, but I've been meaning to. It might be because it had a horrible plot, though, from what I've heard.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • There were 3 things about R/S/E that I greatly disliked.

1. Nothing to do postgame: There was just the Battle Tower and Sky Pillar. That's nothing compared to D/P/Pt, FR/LG, and G/S/C. Sure, Emerald added the Battle Frontier, but that still wasn't as much compared to the other games. G/S/C was on the GBC and it had a lot more in it than R/S/E, games for the GBA.

2. Hoenn: The areas on land were pretty cool. That's the problem, though. About a third of the routes, 2 towns, 2 cities, and the Pokemon league were over water. I've always found water routes to be incredibly boring. Same visuals, nothing that stands out, and a ton of trainers with the same Pokemon.

3. The overworld graphics: I found the graphics for the overworld in R/S/E to be incredibly unappealing. They felt very rough compared to the graphics in FR/LG. Granted, those games came out later, but that doesn't explain why I like the overworld look of G/S/C more. If I prefer the graphics of a game from a previous generation, then I think something isn't right.

All of this isn't to say I hate the games. I do like them, but they're just not up there with all of the others for me.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • There were 3 things about R/S/E that I greatly disliked.

1. Nothing to do postgame: There was just the Battle Tower and Sky Pillar. That's nothing compared to D/P/Pt, FR/LG, and G/S/C. Sure, Emerald added the Battle Frontier, but that still wasn't as much compared to the other games. G/S/C was on the GBC and it had a lot more in it than R/S/E, games for the GBA.

2. Hoenn: The areas on land were pretty cool. That's the problem, though. About a third of the routes, 2 towns, 2 cities, and the Pokemon league were over water. I've always found water routes to be incredibly boring. Same visuals, nothing that stands out, and a ton of trainers with the same Pokemon.

3. The overworld graphics: I found the graphics for the overworld in R/S/E to be incredibly unappealing. They felt very rough compared to the graphics in FR/LG. Granted, those games came out later, but that doesn't explain why I like the overworld look of G/S/C more. If I prefer the graphics of a game from a previous generation, then I think something isn't right.

All of this isn't to say I hate the games. I do like them, but they're just not up there with all of the others for me.

Maybe those reasons also holds true for me......
    As I have already said these games were not bad but were a little worse compared to other games.

Back