• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the most frustrated you've been playing Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Ran into a mr mime in platinum. That prick kept using substitution and I wasted all my pokeballs trying to capture him.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • Probably either just attempting to catch legendaries, or battling gym leaders/elite four/champion. The basic things. Like how, when I was battling Lance in HG/SS, his Dragonites kept critical hitting me and I could NEVER get a crit in...

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Attempting to catch Rayquaza in Emerald and Sapphire was an absolute nightmare, I had 99+ Ultra Balls and I would have to restart because I ran out of them. Also, recruiting Rayquaza in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red. I battled him probably over 100 times, and he still wouldn't join me, even though I had his friend area and the Friend Bow and everything :( I still don't have him on my team! I guess that bugger just doesn't like me.

Guest123_x1

Oftentimes, I've gotten so frustrated with a Pokémon game, that I wanted to throw my Game Boy Color around and smash it up (of course I never actually carried out that attack.) This would usually happen when I was battling certain Gym Leaders or even powerful regular Trainers (including my rival.) Another moment of frustration was trying to catch certain Pokémon, especially legendaries in G/S/C - the change in the catch formula made just about every Pokémon more difficult to catch than in R/G/B/Y.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Two moments stick out for me - I don't remember them too clearly, but during my first playthrough of Sapphire, catching Kyogre took me suuch a long time. Its health bar was practically non-existent, you couldn't even see the red anymore, but I just could not catch the damn thing. I was probably more impatient at the time, seeing as I was 9 or so then, and I ended up being so frustrated I just knocked out the creator of the seas without catching it (oops).

And another time more recently, when I was playing X, I was having a really hard time catching this Onix, which was really frustrating seeing as it wasn't even a legendary or anything special. Used up all my balls. I think I did get it in the end though, but still, it was ridiculous; even Xerneas only took a few Pokeballs. That Onix was probably the most expensive Pokemon I caught in X, in terms of the number of different Pokeballs I had to use.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Finding the Card Key in Yellow when I was five. How was I supposed to know that I had to stand on the warp point facing down? It's not like you have to do that at any other point in the game.

More recently, beating Siebold in X. Specifically, his Gyarados. I'll lead with Gogoat and just not change Pokemon. Ice Fang. Okay, maybe Aurorus would help. Earthquake. Switch to Lucario and use a Revive on Aurorus. Dragon Dance. Switch in Aurorus. Dragon Dance. Now try Freeze Dry. Earthquake. Do I have anything that can outspeed this thing? Earthquake, Earthquake, Earthquake, Earthquake. I lost. I lost hard. I was so frustrated with that stupid Gyarados because I didn't want to change my Pokemon's movesets. After a while, I ended up teaching Aurorus Thunderbolt, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I have a number of frustrating memories from my years playing Pokemon, but I'm not sure what the worst one is. In Red, I recall saving in some part of the Seafoam Islands without the Strength user I needed to alter the current. I didn't have any escape ropes, and I didn't recall how to get out, so I wandered aimlessly hoping to use up all of my PP on my overpowered Blastoise (the only Pokemon I used at the time) so I could Struggle myself to death. Somehow, I eventually found the exit (I'm sure it wasn't as hard as it seemed, but at the time, it seemed incredibly difficult, and having saved inside the area the day before, I didn't remember the layout of the place at all). Since that time, I've made sure to always carry multiple escape ropes (one to escape, and one as a back-up in case I forget to replenish my stock after escaping).

As for hax-style irritation, I have a lot of painful memories of trying to beat the Stadium games with rentals. Every time I'd come close, I would proceed to miss repeatedly (the joys of having to use rentals with poor-accuracy moves) or hit myself in my confusion, be attracted, be paralyzed, etc., turn after turn until all of my Pokemon got KO'd. Gym leaders were especially bad, as there were no continues; face bad luck, and I'd have to re-challenge the previous three trainers just to get another shot at the badge. The experience got much better once I started using my own Pokemon (trying to train stadium teams with very limited resources after the internal batteries on my main games died was more fun than I expected), but I still have a lot of bad memories.

I found the Pokeradar in gen 4 very frustrating. I always had bad luck with the thing, even when I followed guides to the letter. Needless to say, I haven't taken up that charge again in gen 6.

And then, the obligatory shiny story: shiny Skorupi in one of those double battles with a supporting cast member in White2. I had no way of taking my partner's Pokemon (Musharna) out with the Espeon I had been training, and of course, which Pokemon does my partner decide to take out first? That poor Skorupi never had a chance. I had a Master Ball ready to go and everything, but of course, there's apparently no way to aim at one Pokemon in a double battle without a snag machine, so I was out of luck. Moral of the story: Always have an overpowered Pokemon at the front of your party in any area where you have to double battle with a partner, and take out your partner as soon as the battle starts. Oh, and hope the wild Pokemon don't knock each other out. Sadly, I've never found another shiny Skorupi.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I was not quite fond of battling with Game Freak staff in Black 2, which uses Alomomola as the last resort. Not to mention this Pokémon's movesets, like Toxic, Wish and Protect which makes the match a bit longer.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I'll talk about my recent experience with X.

Getting back into Pokemon by getting a new game and restricting it to Nuzlocke rules was a good idea. I've been floored left and right.

However, it is so frustrating to turn off that EXP share only for several different areas to have wild pokemon that either trap you or pursuit you to death. Half of my "dead" box is due to those dugtrio and tauros. Left and right, I lose the buddies I want to last. ;_;

Years
  • Pokemon Emerald, when I was a kid. I haven't picked up the part where Norman said to come and battle him after the 4th badge. Long story short, I spent a loooot of time trying to figure out what to do next. I mean it, a lot. :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2014
    I had a crazy experience when i was trying to catch groudon in Ruby. I sat for 2+ hours using ultra balls without success, even though he was down to such a small amount of health. I almost gave up, causing me to just try every type of pokeball i had. I ended up catching him in a regular pokeball. (????)
    On the other hand i got Xerneas with a great ball when he had 1/4 of health left, which evens it out i guess :p

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • For me, battling Cynthia in Pokemon Pearl was both a shocking and frustrating experience. It took me three times before I managed to beat her (that Garchomp...). As I was younger at the time, finally beating Cynthia felt like a huge accomplishment.

As for recent frustrations, trying to pickup Leftovers in Pokemon X is a nightmare. I've only found Prism Scales, no Leftovers (yet). I've been searching for about a week and still no luck. -_-

Years
  • Additionally, while not THE most frustrating time i've had, my Red Mono-Color in White threw some rather infuriating fights at me. Most notably this morning when I took on the Elite Four, I did Marshal first. That made me want to flip tables, let me tell you. To start, I was refusing to use healing items. His Sawk OHKO'ed my Scolipede with a critical hit Stone Edge after I used Iron Defense. After I had gotten a chunk of his team down, he had Mienshao left. I bring in my Crustle, thinking, all I have to do is get in a Shell Smash, use Dig and he'll miss with Jump Kick and then i'll kill him.

He uses Rock Slide, and I see myself with 7 HP. Critical hit.

And I FLINCH.

Then he kills me, and my last two Pokémon (Krookodile and Scrafty), even after Intimidate. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, but I couldn't because I had family home.

Second try went smoother, thankfully my +2 Throh who was weakened against his mirror-match survived his Conkeldurr with 2 HP and was able to beat him to the punch. But then, when his last one was Mienshao, I had Scolipede (who at least finished off his Sawk) and I used Iron Defense, and AGAIN THE VERY FIRST HIT WAS A CRITICAL HIT. I did get the Intimidate off, and he did less than half to my Emboar after that, allowing me to 2HKO him with Brick Break followed by Flamethrower, and just to taunt me even more, I got the critical hit on the last turn. I had two Pokémon left. To say the least, that was horrible and not fun in the slightest. I thought it would be, but not when you get spammed critical hits every time you try to boost. It's been 11 hours and i'm still mad about it. I shouldn't be, since I beat the game, but still...

Seriously, he was worse than Ghetsis. Thankfully, the other members weren't overly tough, especially Caitlin who was a breath of fresh air as I swept her with Sturdy + Shell Smash Crustle. And the game threw me a bone against N - after my Krookodile just barely 2HKO'ed his Reshiram with Soft Sand boosted Bulldoze (I didn't use Dig because I didn't want to risk him using Reflect), I OHKO'ed his Vanilluxe with a critical hit Brick Break (not Moxie boosted). That was yummy. :D

Years
  • So many instances where I've gotten incredibly unlucky, especially in nuzlocke runs, but the Vermillion gym puzzle is seriously one of the most aggravating activities that I recall doing in life in general, haha. Crazy, but as a kid it took me like days just to get to Lt. Surge, my god. And then, because I'm stubborn and only caught pokemon I liked, I didn't have any ground types and got wrecked continuously.

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • When I first played Emerald back when I was in middle school, it took me DAYS to get to Rayquayza in the Sky Pillar. The falling floor tile puzzle was the problem. Even after I realized that I had to use my bike, I would always be just a little off on my timing, and fall down to the last floor.

Recently, my sister was playing Ruby on an emulator, and was trying to catch Regirock. However, she didn't bring enough ultra balls, and had to keep reloading the savestate to reuse them. After hours of trying, I offered to help her, and ended up catching him in a poke ball. She was furious, and I was laughing so hard.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    The whole Safari zone was extremely frustrating for me as a kid, always ran out of time before finding the surf hm guy and then also finding the gold teeth for the warden.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I bet there are dozen things that have frustrated me about pokemon. XD I'll just name a few of them though.

When I first started playing pokemon, my first game was Pokemon Yellow. Well, as you know, Pikachu is automatically your starter for this game. Anyway, beating Brock was the most frustrating and tedious moment ever for me as a kid because I didn't have the advantage to beat him. DX

Another thing the frustrates me is from the most recent games. I get frustrated with the last gym leader in Pokemon Black 2/White 2. I've always struggled with his puzzle all of the time. Since I use cheats, I've always been able to use the walk through walls cheat just to bypass his stupid complicated puzzle. The only issue now is, I don't have that cheat anymore. Now, I'm going to be faced with this challenge again when it comes. ><

That's all I can remember right now. I'm sure there's more experiences, but I just can't think of them. My memory usually sucks lol.

The whole Safari zone was extremely frustrating for me as a kid, always ran out of time before finding the surf hm guy and then also finding the gold teeth for the warden.

This is also frustrating for me. Though, I was able to keep at it until FINALLY getting what I needed and taking my time with it only after about a gazillion tries though. XD

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
    Years
  • I remember playing Blue version on the game and after beating the elite 4 and Lance I had to fight Gary and I lost. I had won every other battle I ever got into. I think I was 8 or 9 at the time and I was a bit of a sour loser when I was a kid so I started bawling my eyes out. I was on the way home in the car playing my game boy when this happened and my dad was like what's wrong?

The second most frustrating thing was when I was playng Gold and Silver and got stuck after beating Goldenrod gym. I didn't know how to get rid of sudowoodo. I was very frustrated and upset. It took me forever to finaly walk in the flower shop to get the squirtbottle.

Catching the legendary trio in Gold and Silver was incredibly frustrating. I spent hours chasing them.

Last edited:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Important NPC's Haxorus(es?). I hate those things so much. Things sweep my party before I even get to deal a single scratch on them.

Also, back when I was playing PMD Blue, and I got Totodile as my starter... the thing doesn't learn a single Water-type move 'til idk what level, and by that time I kept on dying on the third dungeon of the game. Nevertheless, I ragequitted and hated Totodile ever since.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    It's maybe not as bad as some of the other stories here, but I was quite young at the time so it bothered me so much more. Basically, I'd just beaten the Pokemon League in Emerald, and was all very happy and excited to receive the National Dex and go onto the post-game.. but it didn't happen. I had never realised that you needed to have caught at least 60 Pokemon to get the National Dex so I couldn't understand why I hadn't got it, (I'm pretty sure I actually started crying) so I rage quit for about a week, until I read up about it and found out and felt very silly...

Back