• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the most frustrated you've been playing Pokémon?

Years
  • Two things come to mind :) Firstly: the ICE PATH in Pokémon Silver; my brain cannot compute anything puzzle-related in the slightest at the best of times, so for my younger self back in the day I always resorted to my brother for that bit lol. I remember one day handing my Game Boy Pocket to my brother wordlessly and him just going: "Ice Path?" and me nodding resolutely haha xD I'm pretty sure to this day the Ice Path would still give me grief lol :)

Number two... TATE AND LIZA!!!! Words cannot describe the frustration I felt facing this pair in Emerald, to this day I don't think any other Gym Leader's given me that much trouble. It seemed like all my team was weak to them an eventually I resorted to catching a Sharpedo and Crunch-ing them for dear life lol :)

Years
  • Losing a Shiny Basculin to a suicide attack >.>

Final Gambit? I know of some people that have suffered the same fate. D:

For that matter, in one of my Monotypes, I ran into a shiny Geodude in a horde. I thought, "no, what if this thing dies to Magnitudes?!" I was desperately trying to kill the others before that could happen...but alas, there were two left and the other used Magnitude. Bam.

Not a massive deal though, because I found another shiny Geodude in a horde in my first Mono-Color challenge, which I did catch, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Final Gambit? I know of some people that have suffered the same fate. D:

For that matter, in one of my Monotypes, I ran into a shiny Geodude in a horde. I thought, "no, what if this thing dies to Magnitudes?!" I was desperately trying to kill the others before that could happen...but alas, there were two left and the other used Magnitude. Bam.

Not a massive deal though, because I found another shiny Geodude in a horde in my first Mono-Color challenge, which I did catch, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Yup. I was fishing for hours too.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • In the Friend Safari in Pokémon X&Y, I was searching for a female Snorunt with it's hidden ability. I was doing it for a reeaaally loooong time, when suddenly I bump into a Shiny Snorunt! My heart started beating, and I felt my adrenaline rush, when I accidentally clicked the "Run Away" button. And fled. . .
    I was so angry, I called my boyfriend and told him to comfort me, and he just couldn't. I was really pi**** at myself.

So from that day on, Shiny Snorunt became my least favorite Shiny Pokémon.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Important NPC's Haxorus(es?). I hate those things so much. Things sweep my party before I even get to deal a single scratch on them.

Also, back when I was playing PMD Blue, and I got Totodile as my starter... the thing doesn't learn a single Water-type move 'til idk what level, and by that time I kept on dying on the third dungeon of the game. Nevertheless, I ragequitted and hated Totodile ever since.

One time I was playing PMD as a Skitty and I was really confused as to why none of my attacks would do supereffective damange, then I learned that apparently Skitty's ability in PMD is locked as Normalizer and suddenly I realized my life had been a lie.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In the Friend Safari in Pokémon X&Y, I was searching for a female Snorunt with it's hidden ability. I was doing it for a reeaaally loooong time, when suddenly I bump into a Shiny Snorunt! My heart started beating, and I felt my adrenaline rush, when I accidentally clicked the "Run Away" button. And fled. . .
    I was so angry, I called my boyfriend and told him to comfort me, and he just couldn't. I was really pi**** at myself.

So from that day on, Shiny Snorunt became my least favorite Shiny Pokémon.

I remember doing the same, exact thing at one time in Pokémon FireRed; found myself running into a Pidgey, and when I was trying to choose bag option so that I could look for some Poké Balls (at the same time, wasn't exactly paying much attention, as I were also watching TV), I accidentally picked run, and off it went.

I wasn't exactly frustrated or anything, but was indeed feeling regretful, haha.

Years
  • Time for a moment of mine that i've just been through that has been seriously headache inducing:

So i've finished training for Red in my Heart Gold Wedlocke, and all I have left to do is adjust my movesets and get the items I want for him, but I don't have enough Heart Scales. I found two in a rather short time period (one around 10-20 minutes after I got super lucky at Voltorb Flip and got two TM44s for Rest without as much complication as I was ready for), but you wanna know long it took me to get the third and last one I needed? I got it as I was typing this, but almost an hour and a half. THAT is how long it took. I should have taken on Red way before then, but NO. I saved the second I got that Heart Scale, dear sweet jesus. I have a massive massive headache from that right now, I mean there have been tough fights but THIS was absolutely arduous as all heck.

Thank goodness Heart Scales are so much easier to get in Unova and XY.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Being frozen for over 10 turns in a wifi battle was no fun. x.x
    Neither was battling a toxic heal Gliscor with my toxic heal Gliscor.

Years
  • My latest frustration, how difficult it is to get certain evolution stones in X & Y.

I have a poor unevolved Murkrow left sitting in the PC all because I can't get a Dusk Stone when I want to. I already used two I obtained throughout the game to get Aegislash and Chandelure registered in the Pokedex but still no Honchkrow, which is sad because it's a really nice Pokemon to use but it's just always annoying that you have to either deal with the roughness of the inverse battle guy (and hope you can land 7 super-effective hits on his competitive-strength randomized team) or go through Super Training which is pretty much something I am not good at.

At least Unova gave you these stones occasionally in the dust clouds. Kalos essentially took a huge step backwards when it comes to easily obtaining the rarer evolution stones.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • My latest frustration, how difficult it is to get certain evolution stones in X & Y.

I have a poor unevolved Murkrow left sitting in the PC all because I can't get a Dusk Stone when I want to. I already used two I obtained throughout the game to get Aegislash and Chandelure registered in the Pokedex but still no Honchkrow, which is sad because it's a really nice Pokemon to use but it's just always annoying that you have to either deal with the roughness of the inverse battle guy (and hope you can land 7 super-effective hits on his competitive-strength randomized team) or go through Super Training which is pretty much something I am not good at.

At least Unova gave you these stones occasionally in the dust clouds. Kalos essentially took a huge step backwards when it comes to easily obtaining the rarer evolution stones.

I totally agree with you Hikari! Super Training was pretty hard/time-consuming for me. I wanted to complete the Pokedex all on my own, but I really just ended up with a box full of unevolved Pokemon that need evolutionary stones I won't get. I will literally never understand why Gamefreak isn't letting us just buy all the stones in a store and is instead almost hiding them from us. Are those Pokemon supposed to be rare? Why do they only give us one stone of each before making us play games to get more? I will never get it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Dawn Defect said:
    Being frozen for over 10 turns in a wifi battle was no fun. x.x
    Neither was battling a toxic heal Gliscor with my toxic heal Gliscor.
    Oh boy, I remember back in a 5th gen online competition I was using a rain team for fun, with a hidden ability Cradily. In one battle I had that left against another Cradily, so it took a good deal of time for us to wear each other down. In the end I gained the upper hand, so they had enough and forfeited.

Years
  • I totally agree with you Hikari! Super Training was pretty hard/time-consuming for me. I wanted to complete the Pokedex all on my own, but I really just ended up with a box full of unevolved Pokemon that need evolutionary stones I won't get. I will literally never understand why Gamefreak isn't letting us just buy all the stones in a store and is instead almost hiding them from us. Are those Pokemon supposed to be rare? Why do they only give us one stone of each before making us play games to get more? I will never get it.

Totally agreed gurl! I really hope that OR/AS can make the "rare" evolution stones easier to obtain without having to go through such extreme or time-consuming procedures. Like, have every stone able to be bought in Lilycove City's Department Store like how that one shop in Lumiose City had Leaf/Fire/Water Stones easily buyable.

I remember when I was playing the original R/S and I could only get one of each stone (at the time) in the whole game. I used a Moon Stone on a Jigglypuff meaning I had a still-unevolved Skitty left in the PC. Please Game Freak, you should be making players not go through so much pain to get certain items.

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • My most frustrating time was when playing pokemon dark rising, I had to battle both kyurems, both level 70 with no healing in between, with a hyper offense style team all at level 47-57, with my best ones being weak to the kyurems, and I'm still trying to beat that part now heh

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    there was one hack, that frustrated me to no end.
    the creator made a cave with like 20 rooms, each has 6 doors, and you have to somehow find the exit. I screenshoted every room, numbered the doors, tried entering each to see where it leads.. still couldn't get out. did I mentioned all 20 rooms looked identical? I guesses they're 20 rooms, cause I know a bit about game-making. other players may not be aware of that, and just assume the doors randomly take you somewhere else every time.
    I think the guy just made it all a giant loop, to troll people. so I had to use a walk-through-walls cheat.
    in another part, there's a room just like Morty's gym, where you must walk on certain tiles, or you go back to the begining. except, this time the route was insanely long- for no reason. it made you go in a circles around the room, then turn around and go back. looks like the only reason was to annoy people who play the hack. that's some awkward sense of humor :/
    besides, there are also some fakemon in that hack. all with stupidly low states - one is a 3-stage pokemon that's weaker than a caterpie in its final form. all this while trainers have fakemon with decent stats, but you can't get them in the wild. again, trolling for the sake of trolling.
    I'm still upset about that game. I wish I remebered the name. it was a r/s/e hack with zombies in it. I think it was called Snakewood.

Years
  • This is too embarrassing to even talk about, I battle usually and you start to see people use common pokemon with similar tactics and you prepare for those pokemon. The first time I faced a drifloon in my mind I was like this is an easy win. Meanwhile in real life after a couple of evasions my entire team was rendered useless and I sat their through the entire thing as one by one they went down( I hate you drifloon ). I guess that's what I get for underestimating pokemon.

Years
  • Here's one that happened to me, not as gigantic a deal as the other three I shared but still worth mention.

I was at the end of my Medieval Era Time Warp Challenge on Black 2 the other day, after having to battle Grimsley and Caitlin again because my Espeon had died against Marshal's first Pokémon and I was about to lose. Shauntal I got lucky against, but then Iris happened. I only had Espeon and Escavalier left and she had Haxorus and Archeops. The former came out, I used Reflect and survived her X-Scissor which would've killed had I not used it. Then I did well over half with Psychic before she killed me. My Escavalier comes out, I use Iron Defense after taking an Earthquake rather well, then same thing next turn. As i'm about to attack...she kills me with a critical hit Earthquake. Mold Breaker negated my Shell Armor, which normally would prevent critical hits, but against the ONE foe that can pierce that, of course it had to happen. )x

While not as aggravating as the other examples i've had, it was still a bit annoying considering how stupid I was to try to waste time - I could have most likely killed her from the health she had and then taken Stone Edge or even Flying Gem boosted Acrobatics from Archeops with +2 Defense (especially with Reflect up). Second try my Scolipede missed with Megahorn against Hydreigon and was OHKO'ed with Fire Blast, so I reset. Third try I won with Escavalier and Azumarill remaining, both at full health - my Lucario OHKO'ed Druddigon with a critical hit Aura Sphere, which was some nice payback. And Escavalier got the Quick Claw on Archeops just to rub it in.

Additionally, since someone mentioned PMD, I remember the first time I played through Blue Rescue Team, I failed against Groudon so many times, whereas I know others had beaten him easily. Ironically, the time I finally beat him, I accidentally ate a Sleep Seed when I meant to throw it at him. And every other time since i've beaten him first try. Zapdos and Moltres got me a few times too, but interestingly Articuno only took me one try (but barely).

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2020
    When I first got HGSS (I was 10) I started watching competitive pokemon battling. I thought I understood everything about it and was the best. I decided to go into a serbii chatroom and challenge somebody to a battle. I found someone who I thought I recognized their username so I challenged them. They said no Ubers, but I said yes Ubers. Eventually they complied and I used my "ultimate team" which turned out to be a nooby little kid with non-ev trained legendaries. I believe my team was Rayquaza, Kyogre, Latios, Darkrai, Mewtwo and Lugia. I battled them and their first pokemon was Umbreon. It toxic/wish stalled my team and ever since then umbreon my favorite pokemon. At the time was frustrating

Back