• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What's the point of Zygarde?

§1

Rocket grunt
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    Uh nobody ever said zygarde had crappy stats, and I think he's pretty cool(and I can listen to this legendary theme longer!). Zygarde is basically like kyurem except it won't be fused because it looks nothing like xerneas and yveltal. :P

looks more like a ben 10 rip off...wouldn't be surprised if it does something similar

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I remember, when most of the leaks came out in the days before the official release, that a lot of commenters on other forums were mentioning parallels between Xerneas, Yvetal and Norse mythology, in particular the Yggdrasill myth. I couldn't remember the names of their Norse equivalents, but the Bulbapedia page on Zygarde seems to sum it up:

Bulbapedia said:
    Zygarde's appearance is based on a serpent in the shape of the letter Z. It may also draw inspiration from both the Níðhöggr and the Jörmungandr. Jörmungandr, often written Jormungand, or Jörmungand and also known as the Midgard Serpent (Old Norse: Midgarðsormr), or World Serpent, is a sea serpent, the middle child of the giantess Angrboða and Loki. According to the Prose Edda, Jörmungandr is punished by Odin by tossing it into the great ocean that encircles Midgard. The serpent grew so large that he was able to surround the earth and grasp his own tail. Níðhöggr is the the serpent from the Poetic Edda which resided at the bottom of the world tree Yggdrasill and gnawed at its roots. The patterns spread upon Zygarde's body are very similar to and may be based upon ribose and deoxyribose molecules. Its tail is possibly based in shape on base pair codons, the essential building blocks of the DNA double helix.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm sure Zygarde was there to act as a "counter" to Xerneas and Yveltal because of its ability, but yes, I'm not sure why its 600 BST doesn't match up with either of them. Still, 600 is a classic BST for a legendary so I'll accept that.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I do wonder what it's story is...sounds like a Pokemon that would've fit better with RSE's story than XY's based on it's dex entry on the ecosystem...
    That's something that I picked up on too. I don't think it's out of the question that if a remake of Ruby and Sapphire is made that it will have a direct tie to the next installment in X and Y. Although, X indicates that Zygarde is only interested in the ecosystem of Kalos. This throws a little bit of wrench into the theory that it will have a connection to Ruby and Sapphire. But not entirely. While X puts a damper on the potential for a more integrated storyline between Ruby and Sapphire; Y makes things get interesting. Y mentions that it monitors people who cause trouble to the ecosystem. Another thing to note would be the out reaching impact that Groudon/Kyogre would have on the world's ecosystem. Maybe if there are pair of sequels one would follow the aftermath of Ruby and the other Sapphire. I'd actually love to see that because it could allow for version differences in the world itself, like Black and White City.

Also. I have to wonder if there is the potential for Zygarde to become some sort of 'i' Pokemon. A lot of people have theorized a W and Z game, but what if there were an 'i' game. Like the imaginary plane? If there isn't they should at least make a new dreamworld based around that idea.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    I can only think that there will probably be a game (or games) that will feature and expand the storyline where team flare get both legendary and try to use their powers and zygarde appears in it's awakened form or vice versa, or create a continuation to the story like in BW2 with probably a new team flare and also a few surprises, who knows; but if they add new features, they would at least have to release a patch where the new changes can also be applied to the actual XY games, like an update, so that if there is a new form for zygarde that fix its stats, every game can also have it.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • …Also. I have to wonder if there is the potential for Zygarde to become some sort of 'i' Pokemon. A lot of people have theorized a W and Z game, but what if there were an 'i' game. Like the imaginary plane? If there isn't they should at least make a new dreamworld based around that idea.

I guess that's another possibility…if it happens, I want the Distortion/Reverse World/Realm (I always called it the Distortion Realm because it sounds pretty cool and because that's what I thought it was called after I first heard of it, but I think that it's actually called the Distortion Wordl in English and the Reverse World in other languages, or at least in Japanese) to return with tons of improvements! It was a great idea, and I want to know whether any other Pokémon besides Giratina's Altered Forme resides there even though I never really got a chance to explore the place (I have Diamond, not Platinum.)

Last edited:

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • Well I just keep zygarde because there are some people now that seem to think zygarde is useless (I agree to be honest about that) so they dump him onto GTS. I'm going to keep him because they will want him back after something happened with him so maybe he can make me a nice trade :3

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • I can only think that there will probably be a game (or games) that will feature and expand the storyline where team flare get both legendary and try to use their powers and zygarde appears in it's awakened form or vice versa, or create a continuation to the story like in BW2 with probably a new team flare and also a few surprises, who knows; but if they add new features, they would at least have to release a patch where the new changes can also be applied to the actual XY games, like an update, so that if there is a new form for zygarde that fix its stats, every game can also have it.

That would be awesome! I wish that this could have happened to Diamond and Pearl when Platinum was released. The only problem that could result from downloading updates to X and Y to your 3DS is that GameFreak would have to make it so players could pick between starting a new game with or without the updated story that these updates would provide them.

Typhon

'sup
    Years
  • It's probably for Z. But Gamefreak can be sneaky sometimes. (Just like B2/W2) Who knows what we'll get. :P

I'm gonna bet that it's gonna have a Mega Evolution, or maybe even 2. Something like the Zygarnite X and Zygarnite Y. There's also a ton of hints that the Z game will take place in a new region. So Zygarde may not even feature as a main legendary... :<

Years
  • I know he gets a lot of hate but I actually think he is kind of awesome, I like him.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    He will most likely appear in the next games which I myself am actually quite hyped for because all of the subtle hints left by gamefreak seem to point to an awesome next game. Hopefully, Zygarde gets a big role in the next games as well. Like people have said, the next games may have another region in them, so here's hoping that the next games have you going from the new region to Kalos and having an amazing encounte with Zygarde at the end. :D

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The whole point of Zygrade is so GameFreak has a reasonable excuse to make a third game or sequels. Hey, or maybe even a prequel. You never know! As for its less than thrilling stats, I'm almost willing to bet it gets a mega evolution like some have already guessed.

Southueki

Writer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    If you look at it, Xerneas' body looks like an X, Yveltal's looks like a Y and Zygardes like a Z. Not to mention the first letter in each of their names..

Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. It will becomes badass when pokémon Z comes around

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Zygarde I believe is going to be another Kyurem-scenario. It has low-stats in this generation but will get an improvement in the third game(s). I heard someone else say that it could get a mega evolution for the third game(s), which is a really good idea imo. Plus, it'd be the first Gen VI Pokemon to get one! :D

Aesthetically, I like it. But I think Reptiles are pretty cool in general. c: I also like the colour green and I think it works really well with black so that's always a plus. xD

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Gamefreak is most likely gonna do the same thing they did with Kyurem and give it another form or forms. They starter doing this since Platinum if I'm not mistake, but Kyurem was the first one to partake in a big stat boost. I'm sure the same will happen to Zygarde, so this form is most likely temporary.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2014
    I love Zygarde's design but they haven't really said a lot in his story. His base stat total is 600, WAY lower than the totals of other main trio members (usually 680), of course Kyurem was 660 and then they gave him a fusion in the next game, while I doubt they'll go down that road again and give Zygarde a fusion, I figure they'll do something to boost him up to the main trio standards in pokemon Z, most likely a mega evolution, considering this gen's focus on that and the huge gap between his stats and Xerneas/Yveltal's. A mega would bump likely him up to a total of 700, making him a worthy trio master just like Rayquaza and Black/white kyurem before him.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I asked the same question when I caught it and viewed its stats.

Like many others here, I believe he's put in the Giratina/Kyurem situation. He's just there in the initial paired games, but will become very integral to the story of the inevitable Z Version. I like the idea of him getting X and Y form Mega Evolutions, especially with cruddy stats like that. Zygarde is classified as the "Order Pokemon", which I assume means he's like Rayquaza: the balance between Xerneas and Yveltal, especially with his ability, which, like Rayquaza's, negate their abilities. Giving him Mega Evolutions would further prove his power to stop either one.

Xerneas represents Life, and Yveltal represents Death. Too much of either creates Chaos, the opposite of Order. I think in Z, the story could be changed so that Team Flare would utilize both Xerneas and Yveltal to power the weapon, but Zygarde would somehow stop them to restore order to the world, and would be available to capture before beating the game, sort of like in Emerald, with Xerneas and Yveltal available post-game. Or who knows, maybe Z will be a sequel/prequel.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    The idea of a mega evolution for him looks nice, but also a Little weird, making him the only of the trio having a mega evolution..., making him a fusion, that would be very unlikely, giving him a form transformation would make sense, fixing the stats with a patch (don't pay attention to this since there is no way that this will happen, but i would like it to happen so that it can have 680
    base stats and in the form transformation may have a Little increase or an
    arrangement in the stats like the eeveelutions),
    having something completely new and unexpecetd would also be possible.

That would be awesome! I wish that this could have happened to Diamond and Pearl when Platinum was released. The only problem that could result from downloading updates to X and Y to your 3DS is that GameFreak would have to make it so players could pick between starting a new game with or without the updated story that these updates would provide them.

maybe, or maybe if they could have added a movie selection to see some events in the game or a memory battle or something like that like in the pokemon ranger games where you can rebattle the legendary beasts, allowing you to rebattle important events of the storyline with new party pokemon with a difficulty of a lvl cap like in the battle tower/subway with the effect that you won't catch the legendary mascot (but that would lead to hackers to make this and actual battle and have more than one legendary mascot).

Last edited:
    Back