• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What's the point of Zygarde?

The_Show

Banned
Years
  • Honestly, what's the point of Zygarde? I get that its supposed to "balance" Xerneas and Yveltal. I mean, even Rayquaza could be considered a "balance" for kyogre and Groudon, but at least its ability was useful when fighting against other pokemon... AND it had great stats and its an overall great pokemon.

Zygarde, on the other hand, seems to have nothing great about it. Its stats are worse than Xerneas and Yveltal, and its just an overall "average" pokemon that definitely doesn't fit in with the strength, coolness, or cuteness factor that other legendaries bring to the table.

So I ask this: what could be the point of Zygarde?

Maybe it could've been specially designed for Pokemon Z. Maybe there are future events to make it a worthwhile Pokemon. Discuss.

Years
  • It may be due to it's typing. Ground Types don't tend to have the highest stats but Dragons do have good stats, usally. But i think it's because of it's typing. It could also be because GF couldn't decide what they wanted to do with it, I don't knoww. I asked myself a similar question when i seen his stats.

Years
  • Zygarde does seem like a weird "trio member" with Xerneas and Yveltal, with weaker stats and all. Perhaps it will be expanded upon and given more relevance to the story when/if Pokemon Z comes out. Kinda like D/P/Pt, maybe? I mean, Giratina wasn't too involved in the plot for D/P, (in fact, I don't even think it was even necessary to catch it at all to beat the game) but in Platinum it becomes a "major" storyline Pokemon.

As it stands now, Zygarde is the weakest of the trio. Its design is certainly rather intriguing, and its classification (Order Pokemon) draws some questions, but it's not exactly a powerful Pokemon. Also, it stole Vibrava/Flygon's unique typing D:

4O4

Error 4O4
    Years
  • I was wondering the same thing but it sucks in my opinion. Like everyone above me has already stated, its stats are terrible. I dont like the look or how it literally has no connection what so ever to the other 2 legendaries. I dont even consider it a Legendary because I know I wouldnt want it with me in battle most of the time.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Zygarde does seem like a weird "trio member" with Xerneas and Yveltal, with weaker stats and all. Perhaps it will be expanded upon and given more relevance to the story when/if Pokemon Z comes out. Kinda like D/P/Pt, maybe? I mean, Giratina wasn't too involved in the plot for D/P, (in fact, I don't even think it was even necessary to catch it at all to beat the game) but in Platinum it becomes a "major" storyline Pokemon.

As it stands now, Zygarde is the weakest of the trio. Its design is certainly rather intriguing, and its classification (Order Pokemon) draws some questions, but it's not exactly a powerful Pokemon. Also, it stole Vibrava/Flygon's unique typing D:

None of the third legendaries have been involved in the story line of the paired versions.

I was hoping Zygarde would be another Giratina or even Rayquaza in terms of bst. It ended up being a weaker 'Kyurem' to the trio :(. I hope it get's a mega evolution. If they do sequels I imagine them giving it two Megas, a MegaZygarde X and MegaZygarde Y.

Years
  • On Zygarde, I wish it was Dragon/Bug, which sounds like an awesome combination. I was hoping that Yanmega was retconned to Bug/Dragon but it wasn't to be.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Zygarde essentially functions as this generation's Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem. While it only appears post-game, it has links to Xerneas and Yveltal, showing up when the balance between life and destruction is disrupted. It may play a more prominent role in the third version.

Years

What about garchomp?
    Most likely he will get a new form. Seems to be a reoccurring thing since gen 4.
    I think he looks cool. I'm just wondering if he will get wings or legs haha

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    According to one of its PokéDex entries, Zygarde is the protector of the ecosystem; when it falls into danger, Zygarde reveals its true power. This makes me believe that Zygarde's got some sort of an alternate form hidden somewhere. d: If they decide to make sequels to X and Y, maybe they could have Xerneas and Yveltal get into a feud with each other, which causes the ecosystem to be threatened, somehow. This could ultimately lead Zygrade to getting itself onto the scene, and since it's weaker than the two, perhaps it could change into its new form and have its stats upgraded. With its help, it would eventually be able to stop Yveltal and Xerneas from wreaking havoc. I'm not quite sure how the form would look, though… maybe it could have a larger head and a longer, bulkier body, kind of like Chinese dragons?

TreeKangaroo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • Uh nobody ever said zygarde had crappy stats, and I think he's pretty cool(and I can listen to this legendary theme longer!). Zygarde is basically like kyurem except it won't be fused because it looks nothing like xerneas and yveltal. :P

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
  • It's the Gen VI counter-part to Girantina and Kyurem. Pointless in the first game and then the freaking mascot in the next. :)

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2013
    zygarde is a troll legendary i tell yah! look at its appearance, its an abomination.. i couldn't distinguish it between a snake or a snail...

anyway i think there might be a connection to it if there will be an X2 or Y2 or even Z

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
  • As stated before Zygarde is the Girantina/Kyurem of this generation, just with worse stats, but like the former two he'll probably another forme in the third game.

And a quick question: People are stating he has no connections to Xerneas and Yveltal...but what is the connection between the two? Y never mentions Xerneas and X never mentions Yveltal.

Years
  • As stated before Zygarde is the Girantina/Kyurem of this generation, just with worse stats, but like the former two he'll probably another forme in the third game.

And a quick question: People are stating he has no connections to Xerneas and Yveltal...but what is the connection between the two? Y never mentions Xerneas and X never mentions Yveltal.

For anyone who's saying that there is no connection between zygarde and xerneas/yveltal I only ask one question: do you even pokemon bro?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It probably will have a new form in Z or sequels. That is probably why he doesn't have great stats. And how can you say there is no connection? You could have said the same thing about Kyurem and look what happened.

Y = Death/Destruction
    X = Life/ Possibly Immortality
    Z = Balance of the two. It even negates the abilities of X and Y and even hurts them. Later on it will probably also be confirmed to be growth. It has slightly already been confirmed that it is a little.

X Dex Entry for Zygarde: When the Kalos region's ecosystem falls into disarray, it appears and reveals its secret power.

Also according to what I have read, Zygarde has the highest Defense of all dragon types.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Yep, there are all hints pointing out to a new forme. Just think of Giratina itself, Palkia and Dialga could be considered better than Giratina in the Altered Forme. I feel Zygarde will present a new message in Pokémon Z about saving the ecosystem and the planet from this pollution factor. That's a nice way to start. Perhaps Team Flare will be ruining the planet with their evil plans...? I know not. He is also a balancer between Xerneas and Yveltal, so that means his ability simply stands to remove the Dark and Fairy auras, two potentially very dangerous abilities. It's a real grasp on the concept of Zygarde's 'true forme' that's been hinted by the Pokédex overall. If I remember correctly, it also had a signature move (Land's Wrath) but I'm not sure whether Zygarde alone can learn it.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Sure the design could have been different, it may not be (ofcourse) what you'd expect, but I don't think it is that bad though... Although a friend of mine said it was just another "lame-fly-design" xD I just caught it to have the data on it, but I may train him for a while, I don't know :)

We will have to wait and see in the future I guess, the Giratina concept with another form would be cool though (even Xerneas has a Neutral and Active form, so I think Yveltal and Zygarde should have some sort of form too) ^_^

Years
  • I'm just going to assume it's the Giratina of Gen VI, and that it'll have a larger role in the next games (whether that's Z or X2 and Y2... who knows).

Back