• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your view on Internet Romantic Relationships?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I saw the internet friendships one and I wanted to get people's opinion on this topic:

Does it do more harm than good? Is it really possible to love? Can it really last? Is it something to be weary of? Etc etc..

Basically.. What's your opinion on the matter?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    You mean internet dating, or actually having a relationship over the web? If it's the former, I have no problem with that. In fact my uncle met his wife through internet dating. If it's the latter, I'd be dubious. I mean I'm not condemning them, but I'd think it was a little... I don't know.

Bay

Years
    I have a few internet friends that are boyfriend/girlfriend with one another and some of them would tell me how frustrating it is sometimes when having a romantic relationship online. There's the "when we'll be together/meet each other," complaining and also sometimes communication (as the internet and sometimes phone are their only ways of talking to one another).

I think internet romantic relationships are fine, but the two people that are doing that will have to work harder on dealing with some barriers.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think it's okay if you met in real life but one person had to move away like say they had to go to university or something and the only way you can keep in touch is through the internet. But I dunno if it would work if you met through the internet.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Does it do more harm than good?
    It can, but it depends on how it's carried out. I can't think of any examples.

Is it really possible to love?
    It is possible to love from far away, but I think actually falling in love would take place better in person. Love knows no distance.

Can it really last?
    If you make it...and if you really, really wanna be with that person, I think it can work. I'm not one to talk on this though, I often get discouraged.

Is it something to be weary of?
    What? lol Weary means tired, or mentally fatigued. I'm not tired of it. lol

To sum up how I feel about it, I think only one thing can be said:

Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough to keep me from getting to you, baby.

Last edited:
    Years
    I was just talking about this with someone last night ^-^;

I don't like online relationships at all. They only end up in ~heartache~ for the presence of the online girlfriend/boyfriend.
    I also think that a lot of times, they start off in high school/younger by people who aren't confident enough to approach people for dating IRL, or have no people they deem suitable for dating. It's a way to 'not feel alone'.

In my case, I did it because I didn't think there were that many gay people where I lived; therefore, I dated a guy online for about two years. But, as I matured, I realized: we probably would never get to be together. We're just from two different worlds, and either of us moving far away would put a strain on our family.

However, I'm not completely cynical: I know two guys who met on a Pokemon forum who lived in the US and the UK respectively and they made it work. They took trips to see each other. I don't know how it's going to end up..but yeah.

I think they're good to build up your confidence in that you realize you CAN be loved, and..yeah.

And, I think it's hard to fall in love online. Sure, you talk to a person nonstop, you skype, cam, etc., but..it's not the same as being in the same room as the person. It's not the same as ~being with the person~. Just..seeing them in person, going out, etc. I find you don't know a person that well until you do.

That's how my current relationship started, actually. We met on facebook, and I was going to college where he lived..and we talked a lot, and we met at a Lady Gaga concert and it was great. However, we both learned that we're not the same facade that we put up online/etc. And, now we're pretty much together all the time. XD

Overall, if you want to pursue an online relationship, go for it. I don't agree with them if it's not healthy/you don't ever get to meet.
    I mean, our lives are becoming more and more intertwined with the internet and whatnot with facebook, dating websites, and even forums. People who would never have met before now can easily meet each other. It's truly fascinating, really.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Well, it does work sometimes of course, but I can't help but feel that it's pretty stupid. I would probably feel kind of pathetic if I actually was in an online relationship.

Although, people always say that you don't actually know the person if you've only met online, and I think that's completely wrong. There are so many things that we're comfortable sharing online, that we would never be able to talk about in real life. I think we know each other much better if we meet online actually. (Depending on how strong the friendship is I suppose.)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It's not my thing at all, and it's never been my thing, and likely never will be my thing. But to anyone who can make it work, then more power to them.

Last edited:

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    I'm not against it at all, but I feel that anyone going into it really need to understand the difficulty that comes with it. Just be mature in general, I s'pose. There's the lack of physical contact, the costs of flying/driving to see each other, misunderstandings that can happen through text or even phone calls (lack of body language), etc. Both parties need to be extremely honest and trustworthy, as well.

I do feel like a relationship truly blossoms through direct contact, but it can still start over the internet, so I think it's all good.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm not deep into romantic Internet relationships, but being involved in one is risky because you may not know the other person in RL and they might turn out to be a stalker.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    An internet relationship can be just as healthy and fulfilling as one in reality can be. It just takes a different approach. Oftentimes I will be the first to admit that they are not for everyone. It takes trust, honesty, tolerance and a lot of other virtues I could list out...and the list will vary when you take the type of person you're trying to hold an internet relationship down with anyways. It is sometimes hit or miss. Trial and Error. But in my opinion that's half the fun of it. When it's all said and done, you end up taking much less damage emotionally overall...unless you've traveled to see the person and have bonded with them on the physical level completely. (Not implying any sexual acts here...merely seeing and being able to embrace the person can easily cement things on that level.)

Now that doesn't mean that internet relationships are painless when they fail. In fact they hurt just as much, especially if you have to put much effort into it to make it work...you can easily bond with someone so deeply that it does just as much damage as it would if you dated in reality...but that varies from person to person. For some, the pain is twofold, for others the pain is exactly one half of what it would have been had it been real. For the very unfortunate few, the pain can be quadruple or more.

I can't call myself an expert on the subject...but I've observed enough between friends and theirs to know what is up, what can come to pass, what inevitably will come to pass, and what doesn't happen without certain circumstances present. Even with all of that bystander experience, I still can't say for sure if I'm right, but I've never seen the harm in a relationship starting online. If it gets serious enough, it can transcend the online world and you can meet in reality, make it work there and be happy. If it doesn't work out...It's just not as awkward. You don't have that chance of running into them when you're shopping some years later. You don't have to see them again, you don't have to pretend to know them. You can just sink into the background noise of the internet and assimilate a new identity which may suit you better for the time being. You just can't do that in reality as easily. Much more is on the line, so I feel that people who criticize online relationships fail to understand how complicated things can get if a relationship fails in reality. Some people are not equipped to handle that scenario in reality just yet. They may come into the maturity they need to handle that later, but that's not relevant.

BLK

Trainer From The Holon Region
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2021
    good for some not for all

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It depends on why you want a relationship and what you expect from a relationship. There are more obstacles, but nothing can stand in the way of love.

I told myself I would never, ever get into an internet relationship, because I believed that it would do more harm than good and that it couldn't ever work out. I certainly didn't go looking for a relationship, I was actually trying to avoid it, online or offline. It just developed naturally, and then I learnt that denying true feelings is far more harmful.

Anything can work if love is involved.

I don't think there is really any risk involved as long as you use common sense. Someone you first meet in reality is just as likely to be a serial killer, why does being on the internet suddenly mean there's a higher chance of them being a psychopath?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I believe they can work. In my opinion, a relationship needs two people who care and love each other. If you have that online, then it's still a relationship.

You have to be extra careful and honest, and have the ability to trust.

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Gee, it sure depends. They could be an old man for all you know, unless you have seen a picture of them or something... And anyone can act anyway they want on the Internet, really. It could last... But I'd rather have a romantic relationship with someone I know in real life. Although fun stuff like Pairing on websites like here are okay, in my opinion. Not too serious, but just fun. :)

Years
    An internet relationship is extremely hard to maintain and only a niche population can actually sustain it wholeheartedly.

So far all of my relationships have been Internet / Long Distance or very close to it and from it i've realised I need to be able to see my lover and show them affection to actually feel like I'm in a relationship. I need to know what they're like in real life and not how they express it to me. I make my own opinions and decisions and for ME, it is just impossible to maintain.

Ofc theres always people who are completely unlike me and can make such relationships work. If you ever want to see a brilliant, working online relationship look at Maly / Went. Brilliant stuff right there.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I only do it to get n00dz
    No but really, it's not that great. I'd rather be in a relationship where I can hold someone. Not *holds you*.

Back