• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When are you too old?

Years
  • Lol, people all over my college campus are playing Black and White. There's actually going to be a campus-wide tournament soon. (My campus has over 36,000+ people) I'm getting White this weekend, so this is gonna be awesome. I talked to a guy sitting across the bus from me who was playing Black and started off with Oshawott and he said he battled some people in one of his classes and I heard of random people walking by each other, stopping and battling.

So hell no, you're NEVER too old to play.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    In my opinion, you're too old to play Pokemon when you're dead. But I'll be buried with my DS and Pokemon Games and play in another life.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • You forgot that it was implicit we were considering an age range of [not being a kid, human life expectancy] ;P.
    Never was that mentioned. Plus, "human life expectancy" is definitely a wrong bound. Would it be wrong to play a Pokemon game at 90 (above human life expectancy)? No.

I propose we set the range to [0, Death], there is no reason to use a constant as the upper bound.
    Assuming that range, then I will agree that any age in the (0, Death) range will be perfectly okay.

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • So far, I have learned that you should never put an arbitrary age on anything. This includes entertainment. I'm sixteen, and I still love the Pokemon series as much as I did when I was a five year-old, if not more. In addition to being a Pokemon fan, there are other things I like that could be considered "kiddy" or "childish;" I like to listen to teen pop music, and my favorite television show is an anime aimed at preschoolers. But frankly, I don't care.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I honestly dont think ill ever grow out of pokemon im 17 and being recruited to play football at verious collages and no matter what ill still be playing pokemon

sneaksiefeet

Aspiring Breeder
    Years
    • Age 34
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    Never was that mentioned. Plus, "human life expectancy" is definitely a wrong bound. Would it be wrong to play a Pokemon game at 90 (above human life expectancy)? No.

I propose we set the range to [0, Death], there is no reason to use a constant as the upper bound.
    Assuming that range, then I will agree that any age in the (0, Death) range will be perfectly okay.

If mathematics in secondary school had been based on practical Pokémon-based situations I dare say I would have been better at it! :p

I have been playing since I was nine (when Red/ Blue came out in the UK) and am still playing at twenty-one, as is my other half who is twenty-five this year. Since we've been together we buy opposing versions of the game and help each other complete the Pokédex.
    While the fervour of playing through the main storyline is fresh we tend to also watch the anime. We started from the very beginning while we played HG/SS last year, and still have about three quarters of it saved up to get through - my goodness there are a lot of episodes!
    We also have a big, cuddly Pikachu who wears a scarf and beret and sits on one of our chairs in the drawing room.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: nerdy love is the best kind :)

Also, when my other half was in school, his best friend's mum used to play his Red version while he was at school, and apparently she still plays now.

So, no, you can never be too old to enjoy such a far-reaching franchise!

xkcd did a comic (which involved playpen balls - hurrah!) which said that once you become an adult, you get to decide what being an adult means, and I think that's very apt. And why is it acceptable for older people to play card games, or board games, but not video games? One day conventional video games will be as "old school" as card games, after all. The times they are a-changin' ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    You are neeeeever too old :D! This actually reminds me of when I went to go buy Pokémon White two weekends ago. I was at Walmart and you had to go ask the cashier for a copy of the game (they had them behind the counter, not on display). I was... kind of scared to at first, considering I'm gonna be nineteen this year and I'm asking for a Pokémon game for myself. XD; But honestly, after a while I realized that it really doesn't matter. You're never too old to play and I stopped caring what other people thought if they know. It doesn't bother me one bit. Nothing wrong with still liking Pokémon into your teens (and into adulthood).

ingcoliptis

Best Pokémon Breeder NA 2015
    Years
  • correct, people say that because it's a bunch of funny looking monsters., but to help everyone, ask them what is so appealing to them running around like rambo killing everybody in their call of duty?

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • As long as I still enjoy it, I'll be playing it.

Surprisingly, a lot of my relatives that stopped playing after the 2nd generation, have picked up the game again after years of not playing it and all of them are now in their low to mid 20's and are beginning to start families (or close to it).

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2011
    When your on the road to Viridian City, your never to old.
    I'm 18 and I play, and I also doesn't matter to me when someone criticizes me.
    Your never to old to have fun at what you want to do.

All depends if your comfortable with yourself or not. :P

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    Too old? Your never too old! I'm 16 and in my high school during my freshman year everybody made fun of me for playing the newer pokemon games (at the time it was HG). This year I played through Crystal again and people stopped saying things. Heck four people started bringing their GBAs and playing pokemon. So in short your never too old to play pokemon you just need an inspiration if you think you are!

Years
  • I don't believe in such things :D

I was out with my friend last Monday, she's a year older than me and she was like "guess what? I'm going to a Nintendo party!" And I was like "awesome!!!! Who are you going as?" And she was like "me and my friend are going as Team Rocket!!!!!" :D I was in shock for about 5 minutes, cause I had no idea she was into it. And I was like "well you'll need a Meowth," and she said she had one along with a Pokédex in her garage :D Good times haha :)

Hoohking

Warrior-Poet
    Years
  • Well, Highschools in southern florida may be a little bit odd compared to those in the more northern states, but the final day before spring break, My DS picked up 21 other Black & White games in the surrounding classes :P

PokéTravellerNumber13

A Multi-Diamensional Traveller
    Years
  • There's a saying I like and fits here perfectly:
    AGE IS A CONCEPT
    I was there from Yellow, even though I stopped after Gen II but just recently returned because of B/W (my younger brother has even given me Platinum but my DSlite had a short life beacuse I lost it)

I'm 19 an just about to finish my first year at University (im in the UK if you think my age doesnt match up) and still *back again* play.

Heck I see on avearge 4-5 people with laptops/DS's playing Pokémon in Uni lectures, and Pokémon has been brought up IN the lectures on a number of times. This *might* be because its a gaming course.

Quoting myself, Age is a Concept, therfore you can be 40, say you're 10 and still play Pokémon, or like me, be 19, say i'm 913 and play Pokémon.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
  • I'm gonna be 22 this year and I have no plans to stop playing. I remember when Pokemon was released and I've grown up with it - so I actually find it funnier when younger people play it as they weren't around, to when older people do ;P
    But yeah I don't think it really matters to be honest. I know people older who play, though the girls I'm at university with just lol at me, but I couldn't care less - I'm old enough to know better to be honest.

Years
  • You are never too old to play Pokemon. Pokemon is a game that can be for all ages.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Pokémon is not "Too old" for me and probally, will never be I love it and I've grown up with it and it's been a part of my life for 11/12/13 years now :).

Years
  • I've played Pokemon since I was a kid. Christmas 1998: I got Pokemon Blue and played it all day. Lol, I was so engaged that I didn't care about my other presents. One of the best gifts I ever received <3

But anyway, I'm 19 now and I still play. Some people think I'm weird for that--too old, you know--but I think they're the weird ones. How can anyone be too old for something they grew up with? I think it's perfectly acceptable.

I'll be too old for Pokemon when I'm dead :P

Back