• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

when did the anime pokemon jump the shark ?

when the pokemon anime jumped the shark?

• jhoto saga

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • advanced saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pearl and diamond saga

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • BW saga

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • when Ash leaved to charizard in charizific valley

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • when misty leaves the serie

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • when brock leaves the serie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • when tobias defeated ash

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • when cameron defeated ash

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I'm going to argue this. DP was the series where Jindai returned, you had Haruka's multi-episode cameo, the League featured cameos from some of Satoshi's older Pokémon, there was the Rumika reappearance, that Raichu episode, and other, minor callbacks to things that happened before. It had about as much of a connection to past sagas as AG did, in that it tells its own stories but the characters aren't completely unaware of things that happened before nor do they act inconsistently with the personas they'd established over the previous decade or so.

I get that you might not be a fan of the DP episodes, and that's fine. But even if you prefer AG or OS, DP is very much in line with what came before. It's no more 'shallow' than either of those series were (I don't get that complaint, honestly. Pocket Monsters has never been a deep anime, in any incarnation), and I honestly thought what it did add - Satoshi vs. Shinji, Hikozaru, and Team Galactic - were the kind of interesting and well-done plots that previous sagas either never tried or just botched completely. Even Hikari's arc and character development, even though they center around Contests again, differed from Haruka's in enough ways that it's not a rehash at all.

If there's any place that this series jumps the shark, I don't believe that it'd be with DP. It's certainly not a perfect saga, and there are things that OS/AG do better, but the same could be said for both of those as well. But for the most part, Jouto-Sinnoh are pretty consistent with each other, with AG and DP both adding something new to their respective series that they can also be looked at on their own merits. And really, shouldn't that be ideal? I don't want a series that feels stale - which, and I know you don't agree, is what I felt happened with the majority of Jouto - but I also don't want BW.

AG series also has considerable flaw !
At midpoint of AG series , It felt like Director/Writer forgot Pokemon is Kids anime about Ash goal to be a Pokemon master.
Instate , They started writing a Shoujo Love-story between May & Drew where Ash happen to be side-character.
Honestly , Pokemon probably jump the shark when the series started to follow 2 main goal of 2 main character during AG series ! Because Pokemon is Kids Anime So it never suppose to have 2 main Goal !

Focusing on 2 completely different goal of 2 character only made the series more confusing and unfunny .
That why , Original Series was so focus & simple because it was only focused on Ash's Goal !
Now , We don't know the main objective of Pokemon series ! Is it about Ash being a Pokemon Master or fighting evil Or some other objective.
Pokemon is not a Korean drama show that focus on Every Character lifes and their goal! Its just a simple Kids Anime.

Truth is , If Serena was like her mirror-world counterpart then she wouldn't need a goal to be great character !
Just like Misty & Mitsumi (Pokemon DPA).
Serena needed a goal so badly because he personality & interaction was blend & Boring.
If We had a Mirror Serena who just carries a Laptop and analyses pokemon then that Serena would have became more popular then current Serena.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
At midpoint of AG series , It felt like Director/Writer forgot Pokemon is Kids anime about Ash goal to be a Pokemon master.
Instate , They started writing a Shoujo Love-story between May & Drew where Ash happen to be side-character.
Honestly , Pokemon probably jump the shark when the series started to follow 2 main goal of 2 main character during AG series ! Because Pokemon is Kids Anime So it never suppose to have 2 main Goal !

Focusing on 2 completely different goal of 2 character only made the series more confusing and unfunny .
That why , Original Series was so focus & simple because it was only focused on Ash's Goal !
Now , We don't know the main objective of Pokemon series ! Is it about Ash being a Pokemon Master or fighting evil Or some other objective.
Pokemon is not a Korean drama show that focus on Every Character lifes and their goal! Its just a simple Kids Anime.

Truth is , If Serena was like her mirror-world counterpart then she wouldn't need a goal to be great character !
Just like Misty & Mitsumi (Pokemon DPA).
Serena needed a goal so badly because he personality & interaction was blend & Boring.
If We had a Mirror Serena who just carries a Laptop and analyses pokemon then that Serena would have became more popular then current Serena.

I agree with you about AG being overrated.
Regarding Serena, yes she's boring but don't forget that the previous girl companion ( Iris), had the same personality like the mirror Serena.. and she wasn't very popular ( Although I really liked her).

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I'll give you Pika and Goliath, maybe also Jessiebelle, but I'm not so sure about the others (plus, technically the only reason Ash's Johto team reappeared was because of HGSS. Had it not been for that series of remakes, we probably would never have gotten a reappearance from them). I'd probably have to say it IS inconsistent with older sagas though, considering Ash's Pikachu lost to several Pokémon it frankly should NOT have lost to after effectively manhandling a Regice (probably the worst of it was the second Paul battle where it lost to a Ursaring that wasn't even a veteran of one region yet. I could accept Pikachu's loss if it had been against Paul's Torterra, at least IT was closest to Pikachu's veteran level).
Well, let's get this out of the way first, just because I see you saying it all the time: Pikachu did not "manhandle" Regice. There was a moment where Pikachu came dangerously close to losing that battle and, ultimately, it only ended up winning in the cheapest way possible.

And if we're going to judge the consistency of any series on how many times Pikachu lost to something you wouldn't expect it to, then that's a criticism you'd have to apply to AG and the OS (remember Shigeru's Eievui?) as well, not just DP. Because, like it or not, Pikachu can't be unbeatable. And since it has to lose, it'd make more sense for Pikachu to lose to strong Gym Leaders (Hyouta, Melissa) and a rival taking advantage of a strategy that utilizes a Pokémon's ability to be as effective as possible (Shinji and Ringuma) than a beginner's Pokémon.

Of course that's all beside the point being made here, which was that DP made several callbacks to older series, same as Jouto and AG did, and is very much in line with both of them. Satoshi, Takeshi, and the Rocket trio are consistent with their characterization in AG/OS. DP doesn't pull a BW, where the series is so far removed from what came before that Satoshi suddenly loses almost all ability to battle effectively - and, in certain cases (i.e. Raimon City Gym), doesn't even act like he used to - and the Rockets become almost entirely different characters. DP isn't like XY, which has been almost entirely self-contained thus far, and makes use of continuity in the same way as Jouto/AG did.

The occasional inconsistencies still happened, of course (and this is true for OS, AG, and DP), because we're talking about an anime that by that point spanned over 600 episodes altogether going over a decade. Expecting the writers to keep 100% with what happened before just isn't realistic. But, that aside, there's never been any doubt that the events of OS and AG were meant to have happened in DP.

Actually, the original series did actually come pretty close to being "deep," considering there were plenty of fairly dark elements in there (like the St. Anne/Giant Pokémon arc, the Mewtwo Movie, Brock basically being a victim of Parental Abandonment, Ash getting "killed" by Ghost Pokémon, the Mewtwo Movie, Battle of the Badge, and all of that were definitely not really child-friendly material after all, and the Mewtwo movie in particular, at least in the Japanese version, dealt with existential themes, which ARE pretty deep, or at least heavy), and besides which, Takeshi Shudo did mention wanting it to be a series the whole family could enjoy rather than just preschoolers.
"Dark" and "deep" are not synonymous and a show doesn't have to be deep to be something a family can enjoy, so I don't understand the relevance of anything being said here.

Pocket Monsters, by which I mean the entire franchise in general (excepting the manga, because I haven't read it), has never been significantly complex or nuanced. Characters and story arcs are simple, the themes are blatantly stated and obvious, and for the most part the world is presented in a pretty black-and-white way. I might give you the Mewtwo movie, but even so the movie plays out in a way where the lesson of the whole thing is clear. And the OS wasn't the only series to play around with heavier themes. AG, DP, and even BW, did as well. DP is no shallower in its storytelling than the OS or AG were.

Honestly, most of the time fans trying to force depth into things where it never existed just sound embarrassed to be a fan in the first place. It's not important that Pocket Monsters be a deep series. What's important is that the characters are done well and that the stories are told logically and in a way that's entertaining. For the most part, DP is pretty on par with, and I would personally argue better than, both AG and OS in these areas.

The only real distinction between Dawn and May's contests is that Dawn actually does feature dress-ups of the coordinators. Other than that, there really isn't any real difference between the two, so yeah, it is indeed a rehash, not to mention cheap to replace May (and I don't even like her), especially when Masamitsu Hidaka made it pretty clear that they're replacing all the girl characters for more "eyecandy."
Well, that and the fact that Hikari is a different character than Haruka with her own personality, quirks, and relationships to Satoshi and Takeshi. And that the nature of Hikari's storyline, Pokémon teams, and character development were completely different to how Haruka's were handled. And that Hikari's rivals were different than Haruka's were. And that the Contest battles and appeals were done differently.

While I prefer the storyline of AG's Contests overall, Haruka didn't have a chunck of her story centered around losing two Contests in the appeal round and the uncertainty that come from that. Haruka didn't have the Mikuri Cup, Kasumi didn't come back to use her experiences in the OS to assist with her character development, Haruka didn't have a mother who was already a master in her field, and Haruka didn't have a disobedient Pokémon to work with. Those (expecting the last one) were all unique aspects of Hikari's journey. But no, let's ignore all of that and pretend this is what a rehash looks like.

Hidaka's words were unfortunate, but if it makes you feel any better Haruka and Hikari both were treated as a lot more than just "eye candy". They each had their goals that were actually treated as important to their respective series and build to a climax (which is more than what can be said for Kasumi). They were treated importantly enough that Haruka arguably overshadows Satoshi, the anime franchise's central character, in AG and Hikari was equal to him in DP. It's one thing to not like either of them and prefer that Kasumi remained on, but at least understand what the writers were going for.

I'm glad the writers decided to give another member of Satoshi's group considerable focus and a storyline of their own to follow. It's the main reason I put AG over OS in terms of quality, because a second quest to follow greatly helped keep AG from getting boring. An entire 190+ episode series can't be carried just by Satoshi's journey, the occasional Kasumi/Takeshi episode, and COTD-related filler the rest of the time. Even in Jouto, the writers started adding more arcs in the last third of that saga which admittedly did help it pick up near the end.

The problem with Satoshi in AG wasn't because of Haruka and Shuu. The latter didn't appear all that much, and it's a bit cheap to reduce their rivalry to a "Shoujo Love-story" when that wasn't even the main idea of it. The problem with Satoshi was that, new Pokémon and the Touki/Jindai arcs aside, the writers gave him little to do. He had no rivals to fight, personal challenges to meet, problematic Pokémon to deal with like he got in the OS (this is my problem with XY-era Satoshi, too). That's one of the many reasons I loved Shinji in DP so much, because the rivalry with him gave Satoshi all of that and, as a result, made him more fun to watch (for me, anyway). And Satoshi managed all of that even with Hikari and her Contest arc.

Who says the anime just has to be about one thing? There's a reason the games contain the amount of material that they do. Because parsing it down to just the main character and collecting badges makes for a boring story. The Contests, the evil teams, the character development, etc. makes the anime a more entertaining experience. Satoshi is not the only character in the series, he has companions and if they're there, the writers need to do something with them other than just make sure they interact with Satoshi well.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Does anyone here actually want Ash to win a leage conference and end up with a non-tsundere (no temper) love interest (like Anabel or Non-Annoyed Serena)?

I know this is off-topic, but if the anime gives us that much, it will all be worth it, since it's apparently to much trouble to give us 100+ Pokemon per gen nowadays (to maintain the actual namesake), only 1-2 seasons (like Season 1, minus Misty, Viridian City Nurse Joy, Stray Charmander Nurse Joy, and the Celadon Gym), and no filler.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Well, let's get this out of the way first, just because I see you saying it all the time: Pikachu did not "manhandle" Regice. There was a moment where Pikachu came dangerously close to losing that battle and, ultimately, it only ended up winning in the cheapest way possible.

I guess you've got a point there. But even still, it beat a Legendary, which are Pokémon that, god or not, are definitely not things that can be easily defeated.

And if we're going to judge the consistency of any series on how many times Pikachu lost to something you wouldn't expect it to, then that's a criticism you'd have to apply to AG and the OS (remember Shigeru's Eievui?) as well, not just DP. Because, like it or not, Pikachu can't be unbeatable. And since it has to lose, it'd make more sense for Pikachu to lose to strong Gym Leaders (Hyouta, Melissa) and a rival taking advantage of a strategy that utilizes a Pokémon's ability to be as effective as possible (Shinji and Ringuma) than a beginner's Pokémon.

No, it would make more sense after all of that to lose to Elite 4 members, not Gym leaders no matter how strong they are, but I will agree with you that his loss against Paul is at least better than his loss against Trip (there's just no excuse for that).

Of course that's all beside the point being made here, which was that DP made several callbacks to older series, same as Jouto and AG did, and is very much in line with both of them. Satoshi, Takeshi, and the Rocket trio are consistent with their characterization in AG/OS. DP doesn't pull a BW, where the series is so far removed from what came before that Satoshi suddenly loses almost all ability to battle effectively - and, in certain cases (i.e. Raimon City Gym), doesn't even act like he used to - and the Rockets become almost entirely different characters. DP isn't like XY, which has been almost entirely self-contained thus far, and makes use of continuity in the same way as Jouto/AG did.

BW was only the most blatant about the self-contained aspects. DP was also pretty self-contained in that, May cameo aside, there hasn't really been a single reference to AG (which is largely AG's fault for having Ash lose at the same rank as he did Johto), plus conflicting with the Battle Frontier win.

The occasional inconsistencies still happened, of course (and this is true for OS, AG, and DP), because we're talking about an anime that by that point spanned over 600 episodes altogether going over a decade. Expecting the writers to keep 100% with what happened before just isn't realistic. But, that aside, there's never been any doubt that the events of OS and AG were meant to have happened in DP.

If there wasn't any doubt, please explain why Ash and Brock seemed to treat Contests as a new thing when they already experienced it with May. Why didn't they actually tell Dawn about having had to deal with a prior coordinator on their team? Why is it that Ash's Battle Frontier win was constantly cheapened?

"Dark" and "deep" are not synonymous and a show doesn't have to be deep to be something a family can enjoy, so I don't understand the relevance of anything being said here.

A "family show" means a show geared towards kids of all ages, while what is currently going on is that the show is predicated more to preschoolers exclusively. That's what I and DBZ Fan are getting at (and for the record, based on some of Takeshi Shudo's complaints on his blog, AG started steering away from families and aiming specifically for children).

Pocket Monsters, by which I mean the entire franchise in general (excepting the manga, because I haven't read it), has never been significantly complex or nuanced. Characters and story arcs are simple, the themes are blatantly stated and obvious, and for the most part the world is presented in a pretty black-and-white way. I might give you the Mewtwo movie, but even so the movie plays out in a way where the lesson of the whole thing is clear. And the OS wasn't the only series to play around with heavier themes. AG, DP, and even BW, did as well. DP is no shallower in its storytelling than the OS or AG were.

Actually, many of them were shallower. I'll probably give you DP, but AG definitely didn't have good character interaction between the group (seriously, the only one actually remotely upset about having to leave the group was Max. The others just seemed to either not care one way or another, or worse, in the case of May, almost seemed glad to be out of Ash's reach), and BW was even worse in how rushed the entire farewell was.

I'm not saying Pokémon was deep to Metal Gear levels, and I don't think DBZ Fan was saying that as well, but it wasn't basically coddling children either, that's what I'm getting at.

Honestly, most of the time fans trying to force depth into things where it never existed just sound embarrassed to be a fan in the first place. It's not important that Pocket Monsters be a deep series. What's important is that the characters are done well and that the stories are told logically and in a way that's entertaining. For the most part, DP is pretty on par with, and I would personally argue better than, both AG and OS in these areas.

Well, be embarrassed with Takeshi Shudo, then, because he made it pretty clear that the OS was in fact deep and intended to be geared towards families, and implied that AG basically was no longer catering to that market.

Well, that and the fact that Hikari is a different character than Haruka with her own personality, quirks, and relationships to Satoshi and Takeshi. And that the nature of Hikari's storyline, Pokémon teams, and character development were completely different to how Haruka's were handled. And that Hikari's rivals were different than Haruka's were. And that the Contest battles and appeals were done differently.

Not really. Both May and Dawn had a slightly odd rival for most of the time (Dawn had a tomboy named Zoe while May had a metrosexual named Drew), both also had rivals that outright hated her and went to great lengths to humiliate her (Ursula for Dawn, Harley for May), and actually, I really didn't see any real difference between the battles and appeals. In order for them to be truly different, they need to be radically different.

While I prefer the storyline of AG's Contests overall, Haruka didn't have a chunck of her story centered around losing two Contests in the appeal round and the uncertainty that come from that. Haruka didn't have the Mikuri Cup, Kasumi didn't come back to use her experiences in the OS to assist with her character development, Haruka didn't have a mother who was already a master in her field, and Haruka didn't have a disobedient Pokémon to work with. Those (expecting the last one) were all unique aspects of Hikari's journey. But no, let's ignore all of that and pretend this is what a rehash looks like.

When they share the exact same goals, yes, by definition it's a rehash. It would be no different than if they replaced Ash with another character only to have him do the same goal as him (and BTW, the writers are completely unwilling to go that route).

Hidaka's words were unfortunate, but if it makes you feel any better Haruka and Hikari both were treated as a lot more than just "eye candy". They each had their goals that were actually treated as important to their respective series and build to a climax (which is more than what can be said for Kasumi). They were treated importantly enough that Haruka arguably overshadows Satoshi, the anime franchise's central character, in AG and Hikari was equal to him in DP. It's one thing to not like either of them and prefer that Kasumi remained on, but at least understand what the writers were going for.

When they gave them the exact characterizations as the girls from Love Hina or the Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, heck, even Maron from Dragon Ball Z (and I mean Krillin's ex-girlfriend, not his daughter, just so we're clear), it truly doesn't matter. And BTW, if they were truly "equal" with him, they wouldn't have disposed of them the second a new generation comes out. They would have kept them, like they did with Ash constantly.

I'm glad the writers decided to give another member of Satoshi's group considerable focus and a storyline of their own to follow. It's the main reason I put AG over OS in terms of quality, because a second quest to follow greatly helped keep AG from getting boring. An entire 190+ episode series can't be carried just by Satoshi's journey, the occasional Kasumi/Takeshi episode, and COTD-related filler the rest of the time. Even in Jouto, the writers started adding more arcs in the last third of that saga which admittedly did help it pick up near the end.

Honestly, I actually was disgusted with the Pokémon Contests being included as a major goal when they weren't even a major part of the games (heck, Pokémon Contests got even LESS focus in Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum). If they really wanted an important secondary goal that badly, they could have just expanded significantly on Misty's goal by, you know, actually giving her a regional league-like competition to allow her to pursue her goal in Hoenn. I could think of plenty I could give her. Sure, most of them will be anime-only, but at least it's better than placing Pokémon Contests in the forefront despite their not even being necessary to complete the games, and effectively lying to the audience. Besides, I've had a pretty bad experience trying to do Pokémon Contests, which basically led me to quit doing them.

The problem with Satoshi in AG wasn't because of Haruka and Shuu. The latter didn't appear all that much, and it's a bit cheap to reduce their rivalry to a "Shoujo Love-story" when that wasn't even the main idea of it. The problem with Satoshi was that, new Pokémon and the Touki/Jindai arcs aside, the writers gave him little to do. He had no rivals to fight, personal challenges to meet, problematic Pokémon to deal with like he got in the OS (this is my problem with XY-era Satoshi, too). That's one of the many reasons I loved Shinji in DP so much, because the rivalry with him gave Satoshi all of that and, as a result, made him more fun to watch (for me, anyway). And Satoshi managed all of that even with Hikari and her Contest arc.

I'll agree with that, though at least with XY, the Gym Leaders actually DID showcase a huge challenge to Ash, not to mention were actually given stuff that made them seem respectable. AG just made the GLs more like Team Rocket clones, especially their depiction in Ash Catches a Pokémon where they lost to an inexperienced and significantly injured Caterpie [a Caterpie, BTW, whose injuries they weren't even involved in earlier, but from a stupid mistake Ash made by sending Caterpie to fight a Pidgeotto].

Who says the anime just has to be about one thing? There's a reason the games contain the amount of material that they do. Because parsing it down to just the main character and collecting badges makes for a boring story. The Contests, the evil teams, the character development, etc. makes the anime a more entertaining experience. Satoshi is not the only character in the series, he has companions and if they're there, the writers need to do something with them other than just make sure they interact with Satoshi well.

In case you've forgotten, Misty and Brock actually DID have goals they were striving for in the OS (Misty's goal was even alluded to as early as "Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village" where she wanted to catch Oddish because she wanted to get water types [granted, Oddish isn't a water type beyond briefly drinking out of a pond, but nonetheless...].), so that's not unique to the other series. And even if you argue that Misty and Brock didn't learn anything beyond an episode, let me remind you that thanks to "level resets" starting with AG, any accomplishments Ash had ultimately meant absolutely nothing considering he just goes back to his standard form and seem to lose some sense of actually being a skilled trainer (BW was the worst in that regard), meaning yes, Ash had even less lasting accomplishments than even Misty and Brock in the Original Series did with their goals. In fact, you could even argue that Ash's goal beyond battling gyms and challenging leagues never actually got defined until DP. Misty and even Brock's goals actually got more development than Ash's. At least they actually HAD more substance than Ash's Pokémon Master goal, which, until DP revealed it involved beating the regional Championship Master at the very least, there was literally nothing indicated exactly what becoming a Pokémon Master entailed beyond going to a league (it wasn't even clear if winning a league would get the title, considering Ash won the Orange League and still had to pursue the dream despite that).

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
No, it would make more sense after all of that to lose to Elite 4 members, not Gym leaders no matter how strong they are, but I will agree with you that his loss against Paul is at least better than his loss against Trip (there's just no excuse for that).
Anything is better than the loss to Shooti. Except, maybe the loss to Kotetsu. :p

But at the same time, sorry to say, Pikachu is on the series way too much for the writers to keep it at a level where it can only lose to members of the Elite 4. You give Satoshi a Pokémon capable of ripping through every Gym Leader he comes across and you eliminate the tension and excitement of the episode for the people watching it.

For what it's worth, Shinji and each Sinnoh Gym Leader often came with a specialized strategies that threw Satoshi for a loop when he faced them. For example, Shinji's Ringuma defeated Pikachu (which, by that point, had already been suffering from a Burn status effect following its battle with Booburn) by activating its Guts ability - which explicitly powers up a Pokémon who's been burned, poisoned, or paralyzed.

But, again, we're drifting away from the point here. I'm not denying that inconsistencies existed in DP, just as they existed in the OS and AG. What I'm saying is that DP kept a sense of continuity with past series, as one can see through the past callbacks to prior series, just as AG did.

BW was only the most blatant about the self-contained aspects. DP was also pretty self-contained in that, May cameo aside, there hasn't really been a single reference to AG (which is largely AG's fault for having Ash lose at the same rank as he did Johto), plus conflicting with the Battle Frontier win.
So Haruka's multi-episode return which featured cameos from Shuu, Harley, Saori, Masato, her old Pokémon, etc. don't count as a callback to AG? The Jindai return, Satoshi explicitly telling Shinji and Reiji about how he won the Battle Frontier, and the events of DP128 in general conflict with the Battle Frontier win and don't count as a callback to the events of AG? Come on now. The end of DP001 even picks up from where AG left off, with Satoshi on the ferry to Sinnoh with Pikachu and Eipam.

DP is largely self-contained. Its arcs - Team Galactic, Shinji, Hikari and her Contests, Hunter J - begin and end within it. But it also takes place in the same continuity as OS and AG, and did bring back old faces on occasion to remind the audience of that. AG was the exact same way, which is why I don't agree when DBZ fan uses this as a reason as to why the anime started to go the wrong way at DP.

If there wasn't any doubt, please explain why Ash and Brock seemed to treat Contests as a new thing when they already experienced it with May.
They don't.

Why didn't they actually tell Dawn about having had to deal with a prior coordinator on their team?
They did. I'm pretty sure Hikari mentioned hearing about Haruka, and vice versa, in the episode where Haruka showed up sometime off-screen.

Why is it that Ash's Battle Frontier win was constantly cheapened?
See above. But, as seen in DP128, there's no question that it did happen.

A "family show" means a show geared towards kids of all ages, while what is currently going on is that the show is predicated more to preschoolers exclusively. That's what I and DBZ Fan are getting at (and for the record, based on some of Takeshi Shudo's complaints on his blog, AG started steering away from families and aiming specifically for children).
If that's what you're supposed to be getting at, then don't use the words "deep" or "depth" to describe it. Family shows aren't deep in and of themselves. And I don't care what Takeshi Shudo thought, OS wasn't a deep or complex series in any sense.

Actually, many of them were shallower. I'll probably give you DP, but AG definitely didn't have good character interaction between the group (seriously, the only one actually remotely upset about having to leave the group was Max. The others just seemed to either not care one way or another, or worse, in the case of May, almost seemed glad to be out of Ash's reach), and BW was even worse in how rushed the entire farewell was.

I'm not saying Pokémon was deep to Metal Gear levels, and I don't think DBZ Fan was saying that as well, but it wasn't basically coddling children either, that's what I'm getting at.
Again, if that's what you're getting at then calling it "deep" was the wrong way to go.

Well, be embarrassed with Takeshi Shudo, then, because he made it pretty clear that the OS was in fact deep and intended to be geared towards families, and implied that AG basically was no longer catering to that market.
I'm not embarrassed at anyone. I'm saying that I get the impression that some fans who try and add depth to a series where it never existed are really just saying that out of embarrassment of being fans in the first place. That instead of accepting that they like or used to like a really simple series aimed at children, they make it out to be something it never was to justify their enjoyment of it. I obviously can't say for certain that's what you, DBZ fan, or Famon are doing, but that's the way it reads to me.

Not really. Both May and Dawn had a slightly odd rival for most of the time (Dawn had a tomboy named Zoe while May had a metrosexual named Drew), both also had rivals that outright hated her and went to great lengths to humiliate her (Ursula for Dawn, Harley for May), and actually, I really didn't see any real difference between the battles and appeals. In order for them to be truly different, they need to be radically different.
How much of DP have you actually watched? Because Nozomi and Shuu were about as similar to each other as Shigeru and Shinji were, which is to say not very, and I can't imagine anyone could watch AG and DP and come away with the idea that you could even suggest they were the same.

Shuu started off as a jerk who looked down on Haruka's skills as a coordinator and eventually came to respect her as she showed visible improvement. The story of their rivalry is one of Haruka slowly gaining Shuu's respect and friendship, to the point where there's a visible difference in their relationship in AG187 as compared to AG033. Hikari had Nozomi's respect from the beginning, and Nozomi was always willing to assist Hikari whenever she could. Her personality was world's apart from Shuu and, unlike him, Nozomi doesn't have an arc where she begins seeing Hikari differently.

I could extend this further, since Kengo, Naoshi, Musashi, and Urara are certainly nothing like Harley was. But unless you've actually seen DP and watched how these characters act, there's no point.

When they share the exact same goals, yes, by definition it's a rehash.
From Google, the definition of a rehash:

"put (old ideas or material) into a new form without significant change or improvement."

See the bolded? That's exactly what the writers did with Hikari, and why her journey (no matter how you feel about it, quality-wise) isn't a rehash.

When they gave them the exact characterizations as the girls from Love Hina or the Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, heck, even Maron from Dragon Ball Z (and I mean Krillin's ex-girlfriend, not his daughter, just so we're clear), it truly doesn't matter.
So, in other words, you've arbitrarily decided that all the character development and focus given to Haruka and Hikari doesn't matter because you didn't like their personalities (which I'm sure are way off-base, anyway). Okay then.

And BTW, if they were truly "equal" with him, they wouldn't have disposed of them the second a new generation comes out. They would have kept them, like they did with Ash constantly.
Satoshi is the central character of the franchise, that's true, but I'm speaking on their respective series (AG and DP) not the entire anime as a whole. And this is why I used the word "arguably". It's not something I'm stating to be an objective fact. But it can't be denied they got tons of focus in their series.

Honestly, I actually was disgusted with the Pokémon Contests being included as a major goal when they weren't even a major part of the games (heck, Pokémon Contests got even LESS focus in Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum).
And why does that matter? The anime makes changes from the games all the time.

If they really wanted an important secondary goal that badly, they could have just expanded significantly on Misty's goal by, you know, actually giving her a regional league-like competition to allow her to pursue her goal in Hoenn. I could think of plenty I could give her. Sure, most of them will be anime-only, but at least it's better than placing Pokémon Contests in the forefront despite their not even being necessary to complete the games, and effectively lying to the audience.
Being a Water Pokémon Master isn't necessary to complete the games either, so what's your point? Contests are at least a thing that exist inside the games anyway, specialized leagues for Water Pokémon trainers aren't. If you're really worried about the anime lying to the audience (which makes no sense anyway, but for the sake of argument...), why would you want to replace a concept that does exist with one that doesn't? It's one thing to prefer if Kasumi stayed on, it's one thing to not like Pokémon Contests, but this is stupid.

Besides, I've had a pretty bad experience trying to do Pokémon Contests, which basically led me to quit doing them.
I'm... sorry for that? But what does that have to do with the anime?

In case you've forgotten, Misty and Brock actually DID have goals they were striving for in the OS (Misty's goal was even alluded to as early as "Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village" where she wanted to catch Oddish because she wanted to get water types [granted, Oddish isn't a water type beyond briefly drinking out of a pond, but nonetheless...].), so that's not unique to the other series.
I never said they didn't. I will say that OS didn't devote a lot of time to having them chase those goals, though, which is one of the bigger improvements AG made to the anime as a whole.

And even if you argue that Misty and Brock didn't learn anything beyond an episode, let me remind you that thanks to "level resets" starting with AG, any accomplishments Ash had ultimately meant absolutely nothing considering he just goes back to his standard form and seem to lose some sense of actually being a skilled trainer (BW was the worst in that regard), meaning yes, Ash had even less lasting accomplishments than even Misty and Brock in the Original Series did with their goals.
But I'm not arguing that, so none of this is relevant at all.

In fact, you could even argue that Ash's goal beyond battling gyms and challenging leagues never actually got defined until DP. Misty and even Brock's goals actually got more development than Ash's. At least they actually HAD more substance than Ash's Pokémon Master goal, which, until DP revealed it involved beating the regional Championship Master at the very least, there was literally nothing indicated exactly what becoming a Pokémon Master entailed beyond going to a league (it wasn't even clear if winning a league would get the title, considering Ash won the Orange League and still had to pursue the dream despite that).
And what does any of this have to do with anything I've said at all? I genuinely can't tell.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Anything is better than the loss to Shooti. Except, maybe the loss to Kotetsu. :p

But at the same time, sorry to say, Pikachu is on the series way too much for the writers to keep it at a level where it can only lose to members of the Elite 4. You give Satoshi a Pokémon capable of ripping through every Gym Leader he comes across and you eliminate the tension and excitement of the episode for the people watching it.

I'm more of a mathematics, pyramid-hierarchal kind of person, so my idea is that, boring or not, Pikachu by all accounts should only be able to lose to the Elite 4 given the experience level.

For what it's worth, Shinji and each Sinnoh Gym Leader often came with a specialized strategies that threw Satoshi for a loop when he faced them. For example, Shinji's Ringuma defeated Pikachu (which, by that point, had already been suffering from a Burn status effect following its battle with Booburn) by activating its Guts ability - which explicitly powers up a Pokémon who's been burned, poisoned, or paralyzed.

Again, that wouldn't even matter because Pikachu was still far superior to Ursaring, who was a rookie in that region. Besides, need I really remind you that Caterpie managed to cream Team Rocket's Ekans and Koffing despite being a Bug Type, being completely inexperience, and near-death? It's in fact thanks largely to that battle that not only the fans, but also the main cast felt that Team Rocket were pathetic in battling. This is exactly the same thing that happened with Pikachu against Ursaring and why I'm disgusted by the loss. Sure, it's better than his loss against Trip, but anything's better than that as you pointed out.

So Haruka's multi-episode return which featured cameos from Shuu, Harley, Saori, Masato, her old Pokémon, etc. don't count as a callback to AG? The Jindai return, Satoshi explicitly telling Shinji and Reiji about how he won the Battle Frontier, and the events of DP128 in general conflict with the Battle Frontier win and don't count as a callback to the events of AG? Come on now. The end of DP001 even picks up from where AG left off, with Satoshi on the ferry to Sinnoh with Pikachu and Eipam.

I thought I mentioned May's cameo was an exception in that prior post. I'll give you the Brandon cameo, but there's not much to go by. And as far as DP001, if you skipped AG and went there straight from Johto, you wouldn't have even gotten the sense that Ash even WENT to Hoenn. That's the main problem, especially when Ash actually still retained his Top 8 rank from Johto in AG.

They did. I'm pretty sure Hikari mentioned hearing about Haruka, and vice versa, in the episode where Haruka showed up sometime off-screen.

Has it ever occurred to you that she may have just watched May's Contests on TV before even meeting Ash and that's what she was referring to?

See above. But, as seen in DP128, there's no question that it did happen.

If there was "no question," Ash would have breezed through Sinnoh with just Pikachu, precisely BECAUSE of what happened in Battle Frontier. That's the problem.

If that's what you're supposed to be getting at, then don't use the words "deep" or "depth" to describe it. Family shows aren't deep in and of themselves. And I don't care what Takeshi Shudo thought, OS wasn't a deep or complex series in any sense.

Well, you should, because HE wrote it, so it doesn't matter what you or I think, as part of the hierarchy of the writing, fan opinions don't matter.

Again, if that's what you're getting at then calling it "deep" was the wrong way to go.

OS was definitely deeper than what we've currently got right now, though. I will agree with you that OS wasn't deep in the sense of talking nonsense like with Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear series, but it is indeed pretty deep.

I'm not embarrassed at anyone. I'm saying that I get the impression that some fans who try and add depth to a series where it never existed are really just saying that out of embarrassment of being fans in the first place. That instead of accepting that they like or used to like a really simple series aimed at children, they make it out to be something it never was to justify their enjoyment of it. I obviously can't say for certain that's what you, DBZ fan, or Famon are doing, but that's the way it reads to me.

So why did you indicate in the prior post that you were embarrassed about such posts? And BTW, you're going to have to blame Takeshi Shudo, since he made it pretty clear that OS was definitely nothing like AG (and you can't refute it because he's the guy who wrote it. Only way to refute it is if you went Starscream on him, which now you can't since he's dead).

How much of DP have you actually watched? Because Nozomi and Shuu were about as similar to each other as Shigeru and Shinji were, which is to say not very, and I can't imagine anyone could watch AG and DP and come away with the idea that you could even suggest they were the same.

I watched up to the Roarke episode, and besides which, I actually read up on episode discussions as well was Bulbapedia, not to mention looked at various characters and did deductive reasonings based on base characterizations. Now, unlike Harley, there's zero indication that Ursula is gay, but nonetheless, they are very similar in that regard, more than just being rivals, BTW (and BTW, saying that's comparable to Paul and Gary is comparing apples and oranges, because unlike with those characters, Paul and Gary have several distinct differences: Namely, Gary, while a huge braggart most of the time, actually treats his Pokémon very decently, while Paul is a huge jerk whose methods of training Pokémon are better qualified as abuse than merely a different style of training, and Gary never abandoned Pokémon that were considered weak by him at any point.).

From Google, the definition of a rehash:

"put (old ideas or material) into a new form without significant change or improvement."

See the bolded? That's exactly what the writers did with Hikari, and why her journey (no matter how you feel about it, quality-wise) isn't a rehash.

Except there WEREN'T any significant changes at all in her goal. Sure, the methods as well as maybe her overall personality were different, but the actual GOAL itself was NOT significantly altered. You want a significant alteration? Look at May's goal compared to Misty's goal, heck, Dawn's goal compared to Iris's goal. That's significant alteration right there, being radically different so that there's zero comparison between the two.

So, in other words, you've arbitrarily decided that all the character development and focus given to Haruka and Hikari doesn't matter because you didn't like their personalities (which I'm sure are way off-base, anyway). Okay then.

Dawn didn't get much character development, though. May at least went from going from being a woman who hated Pokémon (though the question remains as to why May even bothered going on a Pokémon journey if she hated Pokémon) to someone who liked Pokémon Contests. When exactly did Dawn develop beyond just mission-based objectives? And BTW, true development means having them turn out completely different from before. That means May and Dawn would not be Hina stereotypes anymore.

Satoshi is the central character of the franchise, that's true, but I'm speaking on their respective series (AG and DP) not the entire anime as a whole. And this is why I used the word "arguably". It's not something I'm stating to be an objective fact. But it can't be denied they got tons of focus in their series.

And again, if May or Dawn were even remotely important, they wouldn't have removed them at ALL, actually kept them into the new series, like they do with Ash and, until DP, Brock.

And why does that matter? The anime makes changes from the games all the time.

Ah, let's see, there's the fact that in this particular case, they gave something that doesn't even have a chance at even getting the end credits a very important goal which basically means that they are cheapening people and causing them to think that they might complete the games just by doing Pokémon Contests. This isn't the same thing as just dismissing gameplay mechanics such as levels, experience points, or stuff like that.

Being a Water Pokémon Master isn't necessary to complete the games either, so what's your point? Contests are at least a thing that exist inside the games anyway, specialized leagues for Water Pokémon trainers aren't. If you're really worried about the anime lying to the audience (which makes no sense anyway, but for the sake of argument...), why would you want to replace a concept that does exist with one that doesn't? It's one thing to prefer if Kasumi stayed on, it's one thing to not like Pokémon Contests, but this is stupid.

No, but at least it actually gets you to the end credits, so it makes it far more necessary to actually complete the games than Pokémon Contests ever were (especially when Pokémon Contests don't land you with end credits at all). And BTW, players can beat the Elite 4 and Champion with a Water-type team (or any type of team for that matter), so yes, that goal DOES indeed exist in the games (after all, if it didn't, there wouldn't even be players who actually managed to beat the Pokémon Leagues with an entirely Water-based team). Besides, just because something like Pokémon Contests exist in the games doesn't mean they need to be given main focus. So are Secret Bases, yet I don't see any of the main characters making THAT a main goal.

I'm... sorry for that? But what does that have to do with the anime?

Well, players who have a bad time with the Pokémon Contests and see little value for them in the games would not exactly appreciate the anime force-feeding them the Pokémon Contests.

I never said they didn't. I will say that OS didn't devote a lot of time to having them chase those goals, though, which is one of the bigger improvements AG made to the anime as a whole.

Misty participated in the Alto Mare race, the Whirl Cup, spent a lot of time catching or helping Water Pokémon, battling Water trainers, and others. You tell me she didn't get much focus? I'll give you Brock, though.

And what does any of this have to do with anything I've said at all? I genuinely can't tell.

You frequently infer in your past posts that anything that doesn't last long beyond a single episode is basically meaningless, like most of the stuff Misty and Brock learned. I merely pointed out that, by that logic, all the stuff Ash did meant nothing in the end since he still ended up having to continue his journey and suffering through level resets, instead of actually progressing.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
I'm going to argue this. DP was the series where Jindai returned, you had Haruka's multi-episode cameo, the League featured cameos from some of Satoshi's older Pokémon, there was the Rumika reappearance, that Raichu episode, and other, minor callbacks to things that happened before. It had about as much of a connection to past sagas as AG did, in that it tells its own stories but the characters aren't completely unaware of things that happened before nor do they act inconsistently with the personas they'd established over the previous decade or so.

I get that you might not be a fan of the DP episodes, and that's fine. But even if you prefer AG or OS, DP is very much in line with what came before. It's no more 'shallow' than either of those series were (I don't get that complaint, honestly. Pocket Monsters has never been a deep anime, in any incarnation), and I honestly thought what it did add - Satoshi vs. Shinji, Hikozaru, and Team Galactic - were the kind of interesting and well-done plots that previous sagas either never tried or just botched completely. Even Hikari's arc and character development, even though they center around Contests again, differed from Haruka's in enough ways that it's not a rehash at all.

If there's any place that this series jumps the shark, I don't believe that it'd be with DP. It's certainly not a perfect saga, and there are things that OS/AG do better, but the same could be said for both of those as well. But for the most part, Jouto-Sinnoh are pretty consistent with each other, with AG and DP both adding something new to their respective series that they can also be looked at on their own merits. And really, shouldn't that be ideal? I don't want a series that feels stale - which, and I know you don't agree, is what I felt happened with the majority of Jouto - but I also don't want BW.

References to past existed or older characters, pokemon were brought back when it was convenient for plot. Theres no denying that.

But when looking at bigger picture , pokemon anime was hardly treated like one big story with well established cast, consistent development and cogent plot slowly evolving forward and pushing new boundries?

Outside of Ash keeping somewhat his maturity and experience, everything else went down the drain due to frequent cast revamps from Johto and onwards. Such as so called strong friendships, unity and bonds created between Ash and his companions stopping to exist or mean anything in longer run due to never being maintained once main character is replace. His friends storylines, struggles, relationships and plots being left forgotten in dust with anything writes established about them before fading in oblivion. Once they get one obligatory cameo being erased from face of existence.

Compared to other anime where writers keep their characters relevant until very end with noone ending abandoned building on what they started about someone in first lace playing important role in future generations(Inazuma Eleven Go, Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, Monsuno etc come to mind).
Having direction in mind to follow and reach sooner or later and stable cast which defines those anime providing identity to it, recognizable feature about them.

Not to mention whatever started storyline and development created and established with Ash and cast in one generation never receive continuation , having pokemon with on going plot whoch lasts for more than one generation. With writers dropping everything and doing complete restart with only Ash. Pikachu and TR remaining part of universe.Making things look out of place due to no background and connections to history which would give coverage on previous growth and achievements.

Thsts why i refer to Johto as being last real generation where journey and plot was still treated relatively consistent. Having characteristics of abve mentioned long running shonen shows. In sense of having established group of characters in who people can emotionally invest opening door toward better on going plot , actual development of friendship between companions and more compact story.

Since like its case with other anime out there we would have established cast with already created groundwork going forward developing in more substantial way, experience growth of their friendship allowing for more fresh, endearing dynamic, with more continuity filled storyline allowing to transfer it to multiple regions building up on it. Along with creating loyal following among fandom .
Im in agreement how different stories, experiences, challenges are required to be implemented in story to avoid staleness, But my point is how from whatever issues anime may have suffered in past it surely wasnt from having same cast, but poor decisions and lack of experience in handling certain number of things adequately.

Plenty anime keep same cast for hundreds of episodes and anime is still fresh, enjoyable and memorable to viewers. Why?
Because they invest more in established cast taking them forward.

They change and build on interactions between their characters, have them gradually change and grow as persons shedding new, unique light on characterization adding more substance and keep things interesting with new subplots being opened in their stories to have viewer see them in different/fresh light and find out things he didn't knew about originally.
Expand on their current role by giving them new interests and quirks giving to fans something they didn't knew about him until now etc.

Hence why i disagree with statements how keeping same characters would make anime "awfully stale" with all depending on writing and how much effort and work author is wiling to invest into story.
Saying otherwise would be very limiting view on such things.

P.S. Just because i dont condone direction which writers took this show. Not being for better in longer run for story integrity(in my opinion at very least), does not mean i dislike Sinnoh.

On contrary it was era of pokemon which brought several groundbreaking changes to anime. It had well structured plots. Best handled introduction of villains(Team Galactic), gradual dive into their motives and goals attempted to reach and while albeit anticlimactic. Still fairly decent conclusion.

It had arguably best handled rivalry with Paul himself bringing new layer of complexity to Ash journey on trying to become pokemon master leaving his mark on world. Going beyond typical adversary questioning whole idea of treating pokemon as your friends and raising them through lot of patience and care.

Female companion who had most consistent and detailed development as far as advancement in goal goes with Dawn almost reaching her destination.In personality and emotional field i still think May and Misty changed more(whether for better or worse is subjective).

Along with battling being usually of high quality in Sinnoh characterized by lot of strategy,diverse techniques and exciting attempts to outmaneuver opponent .
Yes i liked DP series(more than XY, Battle FRontier, XY and first half of Johto) and when looking at each saga individualy like i covered in my first post. Each of them had its flaws and positive sides.

But thats beside the point and what problems i tried to address are present in pokemon series. When looking at all of regions simultaneously. I dont expect that others see from where im coming from though. Because its pretty controversial topic i brought up in first place.

But, again, we're drifting away from the point here. I'm not denying that inconsistencies existed in DP, just as they existed in the OS and AG. What I'm saying is that DP kept a sense of continuity with past series, as one can see through the past callbacks to prior series, just as AG did.

I still maintain belief Johto had more continuity since it was treated as direct sequel to what happened in Kanto, Orabge accompanied with lot of returning characters from there(Koga sister Aya, Ritchie, Duplica, mr. Goodshow, photographer Todd etc). Lot of flashbacks and recalling on what Ash achieved before and his friends.

And AG had arguably more references to history as well, even more so thanks to chronicles keeping ties to pretty much every major character from anime existing in universe and influencing plot in one or another way. Something which in DP was done with just select few choosed characters who made comeback.

For record i never tried to present pokemon anime as concept which had highly mature elements and lot of tangling storylines in any period of its existence.

BUT those inconsistencies and illogical things which happened in Original series you refer to were head writer for that time Takeshi Shudo attempts to turn pokemon in deeper, more substantial anime. Which has more complex characters and themes not limiting itself just to preschool kids, but teens, adults, elders etc turning it in family anime. Appealing to all age groups.

Since his ideas encountered resistance, especially with one particular person who was at higher position as staff goes. "Omae Sama" he often brought up in his later published blogs would explain why story in OS had roller coaster ride of both its higher and lower points. Not having fluid ride.

He wanted pokemon anime which has stable cast which sticks together and form part of some bigger storyline everyone try to resolve while puirsuing their dreams and ambition growing through it. Group of protagonists with complexity to their emotions, friends which depends on each other, support themselves and make them feel relevant and significant to anime with their impact on show meaning something in longer run.

Tangible storytelling which experience no resets with Ash and others maintaining previous maturity, knowledge and collected experience applying it to new situations and going through deeper, multi dimrnsionasl growth evolving as persons and trainers. With stoiry buiulding on itself and going firward with games not dictating its pace and way progression would be constructed to such visible degree like it became apparent from AG and onwards.

Most of all he wanted that Jessie, James and Meowth are treated as more than just punching bags, comic relief. Integral and influencing characters to pokemon plot which have their place and bigger role in pokemon universe.

Speaking of complexity, sure we never had deep psychological exploration of characters like Puella Madoka Magica, Naruto, FLM used to have in Pokemon. It would be outrageous to even try drawing paralel withg those.

But for pokemon standards anyway there still existed characters with nuanced and underlying depth to personality than one would expect for kid show like pokemon. Because if there wasnt any than i doubt books i posted and critic reception made about some of main protagonist like Misty would claim exact opposite( I have no intention of posting it again, given how no one reads that anyway ignoring it).
With conflicts going inside her, lot of sides to behavior which changed as time went on and rough facade developed to hide her insecurity and feelings kinda reflecting that.
You could say Dawn depression was also one of rare moments wehere we saw deeper dive in someone personality in this show.

Type master term was showed to exist in games though. E4 members are marked as type masters, dragon masters were brought up regarding Lance, his grandfather and elder clan of dragon users.

In fact E4 Siebold from XY games is labelled as water master.

I get this terms aren't as defined and explained as contests. In terms of what tests and requirements you need to achieve to reach this position, Whirl Cup was one of rare times which helped shed some light on it.

But this type of term exist even in games, while Ash pokemon master drea, doesnt exist there at all.

Your right. From Hoenn and onwards bigger emphasis on May career and future girls was step in right direction. But i cannot agree with some people perception how in case Misty stayed "nothing would be different" in AG or DP.

Especially when in second half of Johto anime became more plot based with whatever quarrels existing between staff and directors starting to calm down deciding in what direction to take character. With events like Whirl islands, more active focus, battling several trainers starting to explore on Misty water master career serving as pretty strong indicator how writers knew and had idea of how to explore on Misty dreams with there existing material to create eqiually interesting. Or potentially even better story arc and path to move someone foward than even contests were through elkemebtal competitions, desire of Misty to reach E4 level giing us insight in how they operate helping Ash as well to prepare for their eventual encounter, villains like TEam Aqua, new legendary types etc.

In case decision of Misty removal wasnt already made, because she had/has potential to deliver more.

EDIT:
However ill just say this; people have this weird tendency to judge fictional character in pokemon only on how much someone goal was developed and plots. Rather than taking in account if someone in behavior and attitude changed as well.
Which is also character development counting moments when someone evolves and changes in behavior as result of new people in their life, struggles, new experiences and knowledge he/she attained leading him somewhere.

Something Misty undeniably went through maturing and growing as person significantly(which people always miss to notice).

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I thought I mentioned May's cameo was an exception in that prior post. I'll give you the Brandon cameo, but there's not much to go by. And as far as DP001, if you skipped AG and went there straight from Johto, you wouldn't have even gotten the sense that Ash even WENT to Hoenn. That's the main problem, especially when Ash actually still retained his Top 8 rank from Johto in AG.
So how would you explain the Eipam Satoshi caught in AG that shows up in DP001?

Has it ever occurred to you that she may have just watched May's Contests on TV before even meeting Ash and that's what she was referring to?
It probably would, but I'm sure she mentioned hearing about Haruka from Satoshi and Takeshi, so...

If there was "no question," Ash would have breezed through Sinnoh with just Pikachu, precisely BECAUSE of what happened in Battle Frontier. That's the problem.
Satoshi said, in no uncertain terms, that he defeated Jindai and won the Battle Frontier. It was a pretty important moment in the episode, considering Shinji's shock at that news. Jindai also recognizes Satoshi. As far as DP was concerned, the Battle Frontier happened. End of story.

Well, you should, because HE wrote it, so it doesn't matter what you or I think, as part of the hierarchy of the writing, fan opinions don't matter.
See, the writer (especially one writer out of several) doesn't get to determine how fans take in his work. He can intend all that he wants to, but all that matters to how fans evaluate the quality of final product are the opinions of the individual fans themselves. And in the case of OS, I don't find the final product to be anything deeper than AG or DP were. More dynamic? Sure. More creative? Absolutely, so long as we're talking the Kanto/OI episodes. Deeper? Hell no.

OS was definitely deeper than what we've currently got right now, though. I will agree with you that OS wasn't deep in the sense of talking nonsense like with Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear series, but it is indeed pretty deep.
You've mentioned the depth of OS before, but you've never come up with anything to demonstrate. What you have come up with are claims that Takeshi Shudo intended the OS to be a more family friendly, or darker, product than what the anime from AG-onwards was. But none of that indicates depth on its own.

So why did you indicate in the prior post that you were embarrassed about such posts? And BTW, you're going to have to blame Takeshi Shudo, since he made it pretty clear that OS was definitely nothing like AG (and you can't refute it because he's the guy who wrote it. Only way to refute it is if you went Starscream on him, which now you can't since he's dead).
I never indicated that. My exact words were, "Honestly, most of the time fans trying to force depth into things where it never existed just sound embarrassed to be a fan in the first place." Where do you get from that that I'm personally embarrassed about anyone?

I watched up to the Roarke episode, and besides which, I actually read up on episode discussions as well was Bulbapedia, not to mention looked at various characters and did deductive reasonings based on base characterizations. Now, unlike Harley, there's zero indication that Ursula is gay, but nonetheless, they are very similar in that regard, more than just being rivals, BTW (and BTW, saying that's comparable to Paul and Gary is comparing apples and oranges, because unlike with those characters, Paul and Gary have several distinct differences: Namely, Gary, while a huge braggart most of the time, actually treats his Pokémon very decently, while Paul is a huge jerk whose methods of training Pokémon are better qualified as abuse than merely a different style of training, and Gary never abandoned Pokémon that were considered weak by him at any point.).
Then you either need to watch DP (preferably the subs, wherever they exist) or find more detailed episode descriptions, because you're way off the mark about Hikari and her rivals. I've already explained to you just how different Nozomi and Shuu are, their personalities and even their effects on Hikari and Haruka. Haruka has no rival equivalents to Naoshi or Kengo, either. But if you'd watched the show, you'd know that.

I'll refer to Hiroshi Sotomura's post, too.

And, by the way, the entire point of saying Nozomi and Shuu were about as similar to each other as Shigeru and Shinji was to precisely make the point that neither character was alike in any significant way.

Except there WEREN'T any significant changes at all in her goal. Sure, the methods as well as maybe her overall personality were different, but the actual GOAL itself was NOT significantly altered. You want a significant alteration? Look at May's goal compared to Misty's goal, heck, Dawn's goal compared to Iris's goal. That's significant alteration right there, being radically different so that there's zero comparison between the two.
Simply put, Hikari having the same goal as Haruka in the anime is no more of a rehash than every Pocket Monsters game being a rehash of the originals because the primary goals (acquire eight Gym badges, win League, defeat evil team) don't change.

Dawn didn't get much character development, though. May at least went from going from being a woman who hated Pokémon (though the question remains as to why May even bothered going on a Pokémon journey if she hated Pokémon) to someone who liked Pokémon Contests. When exactly did Dawn develop beyond just mission-based objectives? And BTW, true development means having them turn out completely different from before.
Says who? Character development comes from the lessons learned and seeing characters apply those lessons later on, which Hikari got plenty of chances to do. No one says you have to become a radically different person than when you started. Haruka had a change of perspective as AG went on, but she was still recognizably Haruka by the end and in her DP appearance. Same for Hikari.

That means May and Dawn would not be Hina stereotypes anymore.
What the hell is a Hina stereotype, anyway?

And again, if May or Dawn were even remotely important, they wouldn't have removed them at ALL, actually kept them into the new series, like they do with Ash and, until DP, Brock.
Why, because you said so? You take Hikari and her Pokémon away from DP, you take away roughly a third of that series and you even change a bit of Satoshi's storyline (e.g. no Bouysel, he still has Eipam). That's the sign of an important character.

No, but at least it actually gets you to the end credits, so it makes it far more necessary to actually complete the games than Pokémon Contests ever were (especially when Pokémon Contests don't land you with end credits at all). And BTW, players can beat the Elite 4 and Champion with a Water-type team (or any type of team for that matter), so yes, that goal DOES indeed exist in the games (after all, if it didn't, there wouldn't even be players who actually managed to beat the Pokémon Leagues with an entirely Water-based team). Besides, just because something like Pokémon Contests exist in the games doesn't mean they need to be given main focus. So are Secret Bases, yet I don't see any of the main characters making THAT a main goal.
I don't get this.

You can beat the games with an all-Water team, true, but no one's going to call you a Water Pokémon Master for it. And if status in the games doesn't matter, then why do you have a problem with how the anime treats Contests?

Let me ask you this: would you even have a problem with Pokémon Contests if Kasumi were still in the show? If AG followed a five-man team of Satoshi, Haruka, Masato, Kasumi, and Takeshi - Satoshi doing Gyms, Haruka doing Contests, Kasumi doing whatever someone wanting to become a Water Pokémon Master is supposed to do - would you have a problem with them?

Because I can't help but get the feeling you don't really care about Contests one way or the other, and this is really just another complaint about Kasumi leaving the show.

Well, players who have a bad time with the Pokémon Contests and see little value for them in the games would not exactly appreciate the anime force-feeding them the Pokémon Contests.
It's unfortunate that you had trouble with the Contests, it's even more unfortunate that you apparently took it so personally that you have a problem even seeing them in the anime (it's a simple children's game, dude), but it's your problem. That shouldn't affect what the anime does. I would hope most people have the perspective to realize that. I had difficulties with the Battle Frontier in Emerald, but I still enjoyed the anime's Battle Frontier all the same.

Misty participated in the Alto Mare race, the Whirl Cup, spent a lot of time catching or helping Water Pokémon, battling Water trainers, and others. You tell me she didn't get much focus? I'll give you Brock, though.
Certainly not as much as Haruka and Hikari did. They had special events, plenty of time catching and helping Pokémon, battling other trainers and coordinators, on top of Contest tournaments, the Grand Festival, and an ongoing storyline. But yeah, Kasumi definitely got more than Takeshi.

You frequently infer in your past posts that anything that doesn't last long beyond a single episode is basically meaningless, like most of the stuff Misty and Brock learned. I merely pointed out that, by that logic, all the stuff Ash did meant nothing in the end since he still ended up having to continue his journey and suffering through level resets, instead of actually progressing.
It's more that whatever Kasumi or Takeshi learn is rarely brought up outside the episode they learned it. And I often have this problem with Satoshi too. In case you haven't noticed, I don't exactly consider Satoshi the anime franchise's most developed character and would be perfectly happy to see him win the League and go.

But this is another reason why I love DP's handling of Satoshi, particularly his rivalry with Shinji. He's not that series most developed or nuanced character either, but there were at least attempts to have some of the things Satoshi learned actually stick past the episode where he learned them. For example - when Satoshi is crushed in his first full battle with Shinji, it forces him to flip his perspective on his rival and come to the conclusion that Shinji does have qualities as a trainer that he himself lacks, which he admits to Jun in DP163. From that point on Satoshi's dealings with Shinji are far less antagonistic and help fulfill Shirona's recurring mantra that defines their rivalry. That's the kind of development I wish Satoshi would get more of. It's the kind of storytelling I wish the anime had more of.

But when it comes to character development, I have the same problems with Satoshi (most of the time) as I do with Kasumi and Takeshi. And as I've said before: if Satoshi, especially where BW and XY are concerned, is what happens to characters who overstay their welcome, we should happy Kasumi, Haruka, and Hikari left before the same could happen to them.

Thsts why i refer to Johto as being last real generation where journey and plot was still treated relatively consistent. Having characteristics of abve mentioned long running shonen shows. In sense of having established group of characters in who people can emotionally invest opening door toward better on going plot , actual development of friendship between companions and more compact story.
I'm just going to respond to this here, because my problem with your post wasn't that you preferred Jouto or whatever. My problem was that you stated that DP was the place where the anime went downhill, when it's not really any different from AG in regards to continuity and how it uses it. If the Houen episodes weren't the anime's jump the shark moment, I don't see why it'd be DP either.

And AG had arguably more references to history as well, even more so thanks to chronicles keeping ties to pretty much every major character from anime existing in universe and influencing plot in one or another way. Something which in DP was done with just select few choosed characters who made comeback.
I guess. But then I'd argue that DP used returning characters in a far more effective way than AG did. For example, in her return episodes, not only did Haruka return but the writers took advantage of her development in AG and used it to develop Hikari. Compare that to Kasumi's two-parter, which doesn't affect anything as far as the larger storylines in that series go. Jindai's appearance, and the news that Satoshi defeated him and won the Battle Frontier, kickstarts Shinji's character development. I'd take stuff like that over meaningless cameos and callbacks that, while fun, don't do that much more than just provide fanservice.

Type master term was showed to exist in games though. E4 members are marked as type masters, dragon masters were brought up regarding Lance, his grandfather and elder clan of dragon users.

In fact E4 Siebold from XY games is labelled as water master.

I get this terms aren't as defined and explained as contests. In terms of what tests and requirements you need to achieve to reach this position, Whirl Cup was one of rare times which helped shed some light on it.

But this type of term exist even in games, while Ash pokemon master drea, doesnt exist there at all.
Which is why it's silly for someone to get upset at characters having a goal that doesn't exist in the games (Top Coordinator). I have no problem with someone wanting to be a Water Pokémon Master. I do have a problem with fans, in this case weedle_mchairybug, attempting to present it as more legitimate than Top Coordinator because of the games or whatever.

Your right. From Hoenn and onwards bigger emphasis on May career and future girls was step in right direction. But i cannot agree with some people perception how in case Misty stayed "nothing would be different" in AG or DP.
Not saying that. But since it didn't happen, then what the writers could have done with Kasumi doesn't matter so much as what they did. Famon had a problem with two characters following goals, I disagreed (and, you'll see, I even admitted that the addition of more plots in Jouto helped that part of the series) and pointed out why I thought it wasn't a bad thing at all.

I'm really not trying to start another Kasumi argument here, because I realize that it's something we're never going to agree on.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
So how would you explain the Eipam Satoshi caught in AG that shows up in DP001?

Off-screen captures among mains DO happen, you know. That could be an easy explanation there. Don't forget, we didn't exactly see James capture Victreebel before its debut episode (and unlike Ash's Tauros, that wasn't even the fault of a banned episode). Heck, James' Carnivine also wasn't exactly captured on-screen either (he just got it from a house). Heck, need I remind you that we technically never even saw Brock capture Zubat beforehand?

It probably would, but I'm sure she mentioned hearing about Haruka from Satoshi and Takeshi, so...

Yeah, well, too bad they didn't even mention it in DP001, when they actually met and Dawn first mentioned she wanted to be a Pokémon Coordinator.

Satoshi said, in no uncertain terms, that he defeated Jindai and won the Battle Frontier. It was a pretty important moment in the episode, considering Shinji's shock at that news. Jindai also recognizes Satoshi. As far as DP was concerned, the Battle Frontier happened. End of story.

Yeah, well, his loss to Paul later on (who, BTW, lost to Brandon in the episode you mentioned) cheapens that victory. If he could beat Brandon, albeit on the third try, and with Pikachu of all Pokémon, he most certainly can beat Paul with Pikachu, especially Ursaring. My idea of consistency is that if Ash beats Brandon, Paul's a pushover, or at least the rookies on Paul's team are pushovers anyways. Paul's Torterra might give Pikachu some difficulty.

See, the writer (especially one writer out of several) doesn't get to determine how fans take in his work. He can intend all that he wants to, but all that matters to how fans evaluate the quality of final product are the opinions of the individual fans themselves. And in the case of OS, I don't find the final product to be anything deeper than AG or DP were. More dynamic? Sure. More creative? Absolutely, so long as we're talking the Kanto/OI episodes. Deeper? Hell no.

No, writers views have far more input than us fans EVER will. In order for us fans to have any input, we need to revolt, overthrow the writers by murdering them, and then make the anime as we want it. That's the only way our views mean ANYTHING at all. It's like government. Beyond voting, we really don't have much real power to the lawmakers.

You've mentioned the depth of OS before, but you've never come up with anything to demonstrate. What you have come up with are claims that Takeshi Shudo intended the OS to be a more family friendly, or darker, product than what the anime from AG-onwards was. But none of that indicates depth on its own.

St. Anne arc, the bit about Damian abandoning Charmander, Island of the Giant Pokémon, Mewtwo movie, Pokémon the Movie 2000, the bit about Ninetails mistaking Brock for its former and long-since deceased owner, Brock's backstory about being abandoned and being forced to raise his siblings, plus Misty's implied backstory about her parents abandoning her and then being tormented by her sisters, Team Rocket's debut episode, Ash getting killed by Ghost Pokémon, the events of the Grimer episode, the Sabrina arc, and all of that were actually very dark, definitely moreso than the other series. Those are specific examples, and I'm willing to cite more examples, same with DBZ Fan.

I never indicated that. My exact words were, "Honestly, most of the time fans trying to force depth into things where it never existed just sound embarrassed to be a fan in the first place." Where do you get from that that I'm personally embarrassed about anyone?

Those exact words. You just answered it by giving the exact words.

Then you either need to watch DP (preferably the subs, wherever they exist) or find more detailed episode descriptions, because you're way off the mark about Hikari and her rivals. I've already explained to you just how different Nozomi and Shuu are, their personalities and even their effects on Hikari and Haruka. Haruka has no rival equivalents to Naoshi or Kengo, either. But if you'd watched the show, you'd know that.

I also referred to character biographies on Bulbapedia. And BTW, I DID watch DP, at least up to the Roark episode.

And, by the way, the entire point of saying Nozomi and Shuu were about as similar to each other as Shigeru and Shinji was to precisely make the point that neither character was alike in any significant way.

Except they were alike in several significant ways. I even cited exactly HOW they were alike in significant ways.

Simply put, Hikari having the same goal as Haruka in the anime is no more of a rehash than every Pocket Monsters game being a rehash of the originals because the primary goals (acquire eight Gym badges, win League, defeat evil team) don't change.

Yes, except BW actually changed that formula by having the evil team actually hijack the Pokémon League just as you were about to challenge it again (most evil teams' finales occur BEFORE the eighth gym at the latest).

Says who? Character development comes from the lessons learned and seeing characters apply those lessons later on, which Hikari got plenty of chances to do. No one says you have to become a radically different person than when you started. Haruka had a change of perspective as AG went on, but she was still recognizably Haruka by the end and in her DP appearance. Same for Hikari.

Ah, let's see, there's the fact that Jack Krauser in Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles used to be a fairly decent person, but then in Resident Evil 4, he became a bad guy. Oh, and Chapter 6 and 7 of the former game also showcases how he's slowly turning evil. There's also Butler from Movie 6, who used to be bad, but then turned good.

What the hell is a Hina stereotype, anyway?

It's basically a stereotype of females prevalent in anime where the women are depicted as loud, whiney, obnoxious, silly, spoiled, and throwing temper tantrums, being bimbos as well. I invented the term and it was named after both Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, the first instances of the stereotype that I've observed (in case you're wondering exactly how Princess vs. Princess ties into the name, the name of the setting in the Japanese version was O-HINA town). More specifically, they were the Fiorello Fangirls (which, BTW, Misty NOT behaving like them at all is the reason why she doesn't qualify. Jessie too) and, well, the Hinata Inn residents plus Kanako Urashima.

Why, because you said so? You take Hikari and her Pokémon away from DP, you take away roughly a third of that series and you even change a bit of Satoshi's storyline (e.g. no Bouysel, he still has Eipam). That's the sign of an important character.

Actually, not really, Buoysel would still probably be captured anyhow. The circumstances might be different, but not the overall aspect. And if taking away that third also allowed for a revisit of Johto. or even allowing for Ash to actually rise even higher into the ranks of the Pokémon League than he did in the actual DP, heck, even actually finally achieve that goal instead of having him lose to a legendary-using trainer even if he got a better rank and then being sent to Unova where he was utterly creamed, it would be worth removing that third of DP.

You can beat the games with an all-Water team, true, but no one's going to call you a Water Pokémon Master for it. And if status in the games doesn't matter, then why do you have a problem with how the anime treats Contests?

We're pretty much stuck with Pokémon Master with the Anime, which fails to give a decent explanation beyond challenging Gyms until DP anyways, so we really don't have much of an option but to tolerate any deviances anyhow (and for the record, beating a league DOES make you a Pokémon Master in the games at least. Not to mention, as DBZ Fan pointed out, the champion of Kalos is explicitly referred to as a Water Type Master, meaning despite what you claimed the title's also in the games. And need I really remind you that most of the Elite 4 members are referred to even in the games as type masters?). Pokémon Contests, however, are not even able to get you to the end credits anyhow, so placing focus on the goal is completely pointless. Like I said, players can also create their own Secret Bases if they so wanted, yet none of the main characters actually have that as a long term main goal (and let's face it, Pokémon Contests are the same), in AG or DP. And for the record, they can choose plenty of trainer classes for May to do that aren't Pokémon Contest-related, like making her a Pokémon Ranger, or a Fire-type Master, or stuff like that.

Let me ask you this: would you even have a problem with Pokémon Contests if Kasumi were still in the show? If AG followed a five-man team of Satoshi, Haruka, Masato, Kasumi, and Takeshi - Satoshi doing Gyms, Haruka doing Contests, Kasumi doing whatever someone wanting to become a Water Pokémon Master is supposed to do - would you have a problem with them?

If they were just a side goal for a few episodes and not a major goal, I wouldn't mind at all. Heck, Misty could do a few if it meant trying to get a Milotic (since at the time AG and DP were made, the only way to evolve them from Feebas is to heighten their beauty and get the right nature from them).

Because I can't help but get the feeling you don't really care about Contests one way or the other, and this is really just another complaint about Kasumi leaving the show.

Oh, trust me, even if Misty were still on the show, if they gave Contests as much focus as they did, I STILL would have hated them.

It's unfortunate that you had trouble with the Contests, it's even more unfortunate that you apparently took it so personally that you have a problem even seeing them in the anime (it's a simple children's game, dude), but it's your problem. That shouldn't affect what the anime does. I would hope most people have the perspective to realize that. I had difficulties with the Battle Frontier in Emerald, but I still enjoyed the anime's Battle Frontier all the same.

Yeah, well, if players are expecting to beat the game by just being a coordinator, they're going to be in for a huge disappointment, which is another reason why they never should have made it a major goal.

Certainly not as much as Haruka and Hikari did. They had special events, plenty of time catching and helping Pokémon, battling other trainers and coordinators, on top of Contest tournaments, the Grand Festival, and an ongoing storyline. But yeah, Kasumi definitely got more than Takeshi.

Actually, Misty got far more than them. And BTW, May basically acted cowardly in Movie 9, not exactly a good aspect for her, and what's even worse is that this was supposed to be her movie (and yes, I've watched it. Please don't tell me there was nothing she could do, because there actually was. Did you forget that she had a Squirtle, which is capable of reaching Phantom's jet ski's speed?), and yet Ash still saved the day in the end anyhow. Quantitatively and Qualitatively, Misty got far more than May and Dawn. The only reason it seemed like they got more is because May and Dawn's goals are pretty much the only ones to have a stated endpoint.

It's more that whatever Kasumi or Takeshi learn is rarely brought up outside the episode they learned it. And I often have this problem with Satoshi too. In case you haven't noticed, I don't exactly consider Satoshi the anime franchise's most developed character and would be perfectly happy to see him win the League and go.

Yeah, I noticed.

But this is another reason why I love DP's handling of Satoshi, particularly his rivalry with Shinji. He's not that series most developed or nuanced character either, but there were at least attempts to have some of the things Satoshi learned actually stick past the episode where he learned them. For example - when Satoshi is crushed in his first full battle with Shinji, it forces him to flip his perspective on his rival and come to the conclusion that Shinji does have qualities as a trainer that he himself lacks, which he admits to Jun in DP163. From that point on Satoshi's dealings with Shinji are far less antagonistic and help fulfill Shirona's recurring mantra that defines their rivalry. That's the kind of development I wish Satoshi would get more of. It's the kind of storytelling I wish the anime had more of.

To be honest, I was more or less disgusted with Paul's practices, as callously abandoning Pokémon you view as weak and pathetic is just disgusting (even if the Pokémon actually won, as shown by what happened with that Starly that Paul caught), and I'm even more sickened that the writers actually implied that it's a good thing. I thought the entire POINT of Pokémon, even in the games and especially the anime, was that Pokémon are actually supposed to be treated as decent teammates and not tools of war. They even made that clear in GSC/HGSS where Silver ended up scolded by that monk for his treatment of Pokémon, and Lance even gave him a deserved whooping later on for the rather abusive treatment of his Pokémon, which actually caused him to start seeing that maybe his views were not right after all. I would have preferred a similar method of development with Paul, NOT have Ash basically see that his training (which, BTW, is the kind of training the games and anime promotes) is the one that's flawed.

But when it comes to character development, I have the same problems with Satoshi (most of the time) as I do with Kasumi and Takeshi. And as I've said before: if Satoshi, especially where BW and XY are concerned, is what happens to characters who overstay their welcome, we should happy Kasumi, Haruka, and Hikari left before the same could happen to them.

Except Ash actually DID receive quite a bit of development in the original series. Misty and Brock as well. It wasn't until AG onwards that Ash gets shafted in terms of development, especially regarding growth as a character (they usually cheapened him by doing "level resets").

I guess. But then I'd argue that DP used returning characters in a far more effective way than AG did. For example, in her return episodes, not only did Haruka return but the writers took advantage of her development in AG and used it to develop Hikari. Compare that to Kasumi's two-parter, which doesn't affect anything as far as the larger storylines in that series go. Jindai's appearance, and the news that Satoshi defeated him and won the Battle Frontier, kickstarts Shinji's character development. I'd take stuff like that over meaningless cameos and callbacks that, while fun, don't do that much more than just provide fanservice.

Of course Misty wouldn't really affect May's goal, Misty's not even a Pokémon Coordinator. She'd have no real reason to impact May's goal in any way. In fact, I prefer it that way. At least with May and Dawn, they actually shared a common goal, so it was necessary. Misty doing that for May would come across as forced. And BTW, Misty's "cameo" (which really isn't that so much as a guest appearance as cameo implies she only appeared onscreen for a few seconds) actually DID have impact, considering she released Togepi/Togetic.

Which is why it's silly for someone to get upset at characters having a goal that doesn't exist in the games (Top Coordinator). I have no problem with someone wanting to be a Water Pokémon Master. I do have a problem with fans, in this case weedle_mchairybug, attempting to present it as more legitimate than Top Coordinator because of the games or whatever.

Actually, Water Pokémon Master DOES exist in the games. Aside from the fact that you can actually BEAT the game with an entirely Water-based team (which means you become a Pokémon Master according to the games at least, and since it's all Water-types, it also means you're a Water Pokémon Master. Sure, it's not absolutely necessary to beat it with Water Types, but at least you actually CAN beat the games and get the end credits with that option, unlike Pokémon Contests where you can't unlock the end-credits even IF you decided to do all of them), the position was even explicitly used by some Elite 4 members and in the case of Kalos, an actual Champion of the Elite 4. Top Coordinator DOESN'T, however. The best you can do with Pokémon Contests is evolve your Feebas into a Milotic to get its data into your Pokedex, maybe get a little trinket for your Secret Base. If the point of the Anime is indeed to advertise the games or be an adaptation of them, that means they need to actually focus on the things that actually has the player beat the game. No ifs, ands, or buts.

And before you mention the Battle Frontier, at least that was a post-game event for Emerald (and the only reason Ash went for the Battle Frontier was basically to advertise Emerald since that was the big thing, and even then it was only once. Don't forget that Ash never fought the Battle Frontier in Sinnoh, despite Platinum including it), and in some sense, that actually was treated as an actual goal to achieve beyond that.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
I also referred to character biographies on Bulbapedia. And BTW, I DID watch DP, at least up to the Roark episode.

I'll just leave this here:

To be clear, I don't mind a reasonable discussion, but if you're making comments that clearly aren't the case — a certain person who's merely "read" comments/plot details about episodes in DP comes to mind — you really should step back.

Yes, except BW actually changed that formula by having the evil team actually hijack the Pokémon League just as you were about to challenge it again (most evil teams' finales occur BEFORE the eighth gym at the latest).

This is relevant?

Ah, let's see, there's the fact that Jack Krauser in Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles used to be a fairly decent person, but then in Resident Evil 4, he became a bad guy. Oh, and Chapter 6 and 7 of the former game also showcases how he's slowly turning evil. There's also Butler from Movie 6, who used to be bad, but then turned good.

This is relevant? If you actually watched AG and DP, you'd see both May and Dawn keep their personalities consistent throughout the entirety of both series.

It's basically a stereotype of females prevalent in anime where the women are depicted as loud, whiney, obnoxious, silly, spoiled, and throwing temper tantrums, being bimbos as well. I invented the term and it was named after both Princess vs. Princess and Love Hina, the first instances of the stereotype that I've observed (in case you're wondering exactly how Princess vs. Princess ties into the name, the name of the setting in the Japanese version was O-HINA town). More specifically, they were the Fiorello Fangirls (which, BTW, Misty NOT behaving like them at all is the reason why she doesn't qualify. Jessie too) and, well, the Hinata Inn residents plus Kanako Urashima.

I'm not sure any pokegirl actually falls under your stereotype then... Again, if you actually watched the material...[/QUOTE]

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
So you've watched all of about 15-18 episodes of DP (which runs 191 episodes in all), then. And consulted episode guides about the rest of it. Either that, or you read the opinions of other people, which are naturally going to be biased, and go from there.

It's no wonder so many of your claims about the series are so wrong. You don't know the specifics and significance of the Jindai episode, you don't know the details of Hikari's journey, you don't know who Hikari even is as a character, you don't know much about Nozomi or that of any of Hikari's other rivals, you don't know the specifics of the Shinji-Satoshi full battle, and you don't get the message coming out of Satoshi and Shinji's rivalry or what Shinji even learns from it. If you did, you wouldn't be making the statements that you are. But, for some strange reason, you seem to think that you do.

Here's one example:

To be honest, I was more or less disgusted with Paul's practices, as callously abandoning Pokémon you view as weak and pathetic is just disgusting (even if the Pokémon actually won, as shown by what happened with that Starly that Paul caught), and I'm even more sickened that the writers actually implied that it's a good thing. I thought the entire POINT of Pokémon, even in the games and especially the anime, was that Pokémon are actually supposed to be treated as decent teammates and not tools of war. They even made that clear in GSC/HGSS where Silver ended up scolded by that monk for his treatment of Pokémon, and Lance even gave him a deserved whooping later on for the rather abusive treatment of his Pokémon, which actually caused him to start seeing that maybe his views were not right after all. I would have preferred a similar method of development with Paul, NOT have Ash basically see that his training (which, BTW, is the kind of training the games and anime promotes) is the one that's flawed.
With the exception of Hikozaru, where Shinji is unmistakably in the wrong and treated as such, it's made clear that all of the Pokémon Shinji works with respect and agree with his methods. He doesn't abuse them and, even if he's more detached and critical than Satoshi is, Shinji does care for them. If you'd watched DP100, you would have seen this when he paid to have Dodaitose groomed. Or if you'd seen DP188, you would see that his Pokémon back at Reiji's express disappointment when they learn how he'd lost to Satoshi.

Shinji isn't callous, and there's no rule out there that you can't release a Pokémon with whom it's not working out. Satoshi has released plenty of his. But Shinji battles and trains in a way entirely different from Satoshi, and Satoshi ultimately has to learn to respect that (and that does not mean accepting everything Shinji does, by the way). And that's what he does, after Shinji defeats him in their first big battle.

And, no, the writers don't explicitly side with Shinji either. As Reiji says in DP132: it's not about who is right or wrong. Both Shinji and Satoshi makes mistakes in how they look at the other. Hikozaru is proof of this. Shinji dismisses it for being weak, because his training style isn't right for Hikozaru and Shinji, unfortunately, ends up pushing it too far. He's called out for this by several characters and in the long run, it ultimately costs him the one battle against Satoshi that actually matters. In the same way Satoshi starts to see Shinji differently, Shinji's view on Satoshi changes as well, as he watches the Hikozaru he released grow into a powerful Goukazaru under Satoshi's training.

Episode guides and character bios aren't going to give you every crucial detail on what happens, they can easily miss important things like context, and are prone to leave out vital bits of information. Approximately half the things that you criticize DP for could be solved just by watching it through. I'm not talking 15-18 episodes, before a lot of the series plot arcs even kick in, let alone play out, but enough to actually know the meat of most of these stories.

All in all, I'm not sure what exactly me continuing to argue with you is going to accomplish, so I'm not going to waste my time responding to the rest of your post. There's so much wrong with it I don't even know where to begin and if this continues on, I can just see myself typing "watch the damn show" over and over again. But just know that your opinions aren't going properly informed at all unless you stop and just watch DP (and AG, for that matter) before deciding you know enough to argue about its qualities.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
So you've watched all of about 15-18 episodes of DP (which runs 191 episodes in all), then. And consulted episode guides about the rest of it. Either that, or you read the opinions of other people, which are naturally going to be biased, and go from there.

It's no wonder so many of your claims about the series are so wrong. You don't know the specifics and significance of the Jindai episode, you don't know the details of Hikari's journey, you don't know who Hikari even is as a character, you don't know much about Nozomi or that of any of Hikari's other rivals, you don't know the specifics of the Shinji-Satoshi full battle, and you don't get the message coming out of Satoshi and Shinji's rivalry or what Shinji even learns from it. If you did, you wouldn't be making the statements that you are. But, for some strange reason, you seem to think that you do.

Here's one example:

With the exception of Hikozaru, where Shinji is unmistakably in the wrong and treated as such, it's made clear that all of the Pokémon Shinji works with respect and agree with his methods. He doesn't abuse them and, even if he's more detached and critical than Satoshi is, Shinji does care for them. If you'd watched DP100, you would have seen this when he paid to have Dodaitose groomed. Or if you'd seen DP188, you would see that his Pokémon back at Reiji's express disappointment when they learn how he'd lost to Satoshi.

Shinji isn't callous, and there's no rule out there that you can't release a Pokémon with whom it's not working out. Satoshi has released plenty of his. But Shinji battles and trains in a way entirely different from Satoshi, and Satoshi ultimately has to learn to respect that (and that does not mean accepting everything Shinji does, by the way). And that's what he does, after Shinji defeats him in their first big battle.

And, no, the writers don't explicitly side with Shinji either. As Reiji says in DP132: it's not about who is right or wrong. Both Shinji and Satoshi makes mistakes in how they look at the other. Hikozaru is proof of this. Shinji dismisses it for being weak, because his training style isn't right for Hikozaru and Shinji, unfortunately, ends up pushing it too far. He's called out for this by several characters and in the long run, it ultimately costs him the one battle against Satoshi that actually matters. In the same way Satoshi starts to see Shinji differently, Shinji's view on Satoshi changes as well, as he watches the Hikozaru he released grow into a powerful Goukazaru under Satoshi's training.

Episode guides and character bios aren't going to give you every crucial detail on what happens, they can easily miss important things like context, and are prone to leave out vital bits of information. Approximately half the things that you criticize DP for could be solved just by watching it through. I'm not talking 15-18 episodes, before a lot of the series plot arcs even kick in, let alone play out, but enough to actually know the meat of most of these stories.

All in all, I'm not sure what exactly me continuing to argue with you is going to accomplish, so I'm not going to waste my time responding to the rest of your post. There's so much wrong with it I don't even know where to begin and if this continues on, I can just see myself typing "watch the damn show" over and over again. But just know that your opinions aren't going properly informed at all unless you stop and just watch DP (and AG, for that matter) before deciding you know enough to argue about its qualities.

Guys, you're arguing over nothing. DP was an EXCELLENT series, seriously (And in contrary to most of ppl, I think that BW was too as well).
But to to the main topic- Pokemon series didn't jump to the shark, it just keeps going in circles for YEARS without any significant changes ( Satoshi doesn't age, doesn't win the league etc).

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019

The anime did just fine when it was only focus on Ash's Journey ! It still had same level of popularity as Detective Conan & One Piece.
However , Pokemon popularity really started to drop from AG Series , Specially during Battle Frontier.
Ya , Your saying Ash had nothing to do during AG !
But it may be because The entire series started to focus May & her contest ! It feel every character in the series are more focus on Contest and Gym .
One point , I started to wonder If Ash any longer the main character !
If You think focusing on other character so important then Takeshi Shudo's team probably the Worst Storyboard Ever Because they barely gave a dam care about Brock & Misty.
They only pay attention toward Misty during Master quest ! Probably because she's going to leave the series ! And We barely knew What Brock actually does .
But ,The Anime more fun and Popular in their hand , Isn't it ?
Because Takeshi shodu knew what he doing !
He knew a Kids Anime like Pokemon need to have Only One Objective Or else the story will be unbalance.
The main objective of Pokemon Anime was ''Ash journey to be a Pokemon Master'' ! So Takeshi brought a nursing guy like Brock as Ash's advisore and a strict hothead girl like Misty who's Job was to straighten Ash up .
In other word , Brock & Misty's job wasn't to fulfill their own goal ! They role was simply to support Ash in his quest to be a Pokemon Master .
That why Original series was more balance because it following only One objective ,
Ya , Now there are other character doing thing from themselves ! They getting so much development.
But The Series Popularity is decreasing
Even though May & Dawn are so developed , They still couldn't close the gap the Original trio left !

Who says the anime just has to be about one thing? There's a reason the games contain the amount of material that they do. Because parsing it down to just the main character and collecting badges makes for boring story. The Contests, the evil teams, the character development, etc. makes the anime a more aentertaining experience. Satoshi is not the only character in the series, he has companions and if they're there, the writers need to do something with them other than just make sure they interact with Satoshi well.
If you looking for an Anime that focus on everyone then I suggest you start watching drama show like ''One Tree hill'' .
Because Pokemon ain't a Drama show like them ! Pokemon simply a Protagonist-centric Kids Anime.
Also Anime=/=Game
Just the Main Character & collecting Badge make Original series better then all other Pokemon series Because Original series was balanced.
A Kids anime need One objective ! If An Anime tries to focus on multiple objective then the story become unbalance.
Even When The Anime has multiple Protagonist , The main Objective is always one.
For example , Digimon has 8 protagonist but the series has one Objective which is ''Saving the world from Evil'' !
Every Character is tied to the objective.
Or ''Youkai watch'' , Do you know that none of Keita's Human friend know the existence of Youkai despite 68 episode passed ! They are nothing more them meat bag for Youkai to process.
The Entire series is about Keita & Youkai ! And currently ''Youkai watch'' taking Pokemon place in Japan .
Its possible for an Anime to focus on Multiple character with One Objective ! But its impossible and stupid to focus on Multiple Characters with Multiple Objective.
That Why AG & DP series has far developed traveling companion then Original series But those series is nowhere near the popularity & quality of Original series .
Just because you consider AG series to be good as Original series doesn't mean its True.
Other Adventure Kids Anime treat traveling companion as supporting Character , Not like a Main character.
Specially considering Ash's Traveling companion are nothing more then guest character that will be kick out at the end of the Season ! So its make them even less relevant .
The real character are Those Who stay still the End .
So the real main character of Pokemon is none other then Ash , Pikachu & Team Rocket .

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
I'm just going to respond to this here, because my problem with your post wasn't that you preferred Jouto or whatever. My problem was that you stated that DP was the place where the anime went downhill, when it's not really any different from AG in regards to continuity and how it uses it. If the Houen episodes weren't the anime's jump the shark moment, I don't see why it'd be DP either.

Its not that i preferred Johto persay , because in terms of story progression and character development it had its share of significant flaws which dragged it down(although i still think once Ecruteak city was passed and especially in Master Quest writers got their groove back doing several things right).

In fact Master Quest for its innovation, suspense builder and great dynamic coming from development Ash, Gary and Misty received, arguably TR too with their pokemon releases(like Victreebel or finding out they are in disfavor of Giovanni). is one of best seasons pokemon series had in my opinion.

Its more that i appreciated how in Johto there was still present idea of pokemon series being treated as one big story building on itself. Having stable cast and compact story to follow ewhich evolves over long period of time. Brand which stands up for some anime encouraging peopole to emotionally invest into characters and story in discovering new places,m cultures, meet new pokemon and learn about all kind of mysteries. As they evolve and go forward in getting to widen their horizons and step by steo approach desired destination.

Something which was kinda lost once whole idea of cast revamps started to take place with any previously established plots being lost during transition period..

I addressed how this started to disappear in Hoenn actually(for me anyway). Only reason why i mentioned DP was because i felt AG kept more consistent ties to past generations and found ways to keep important chatacters relevant and still of some significance to plot.

But yes it WASNT DP, but AG when this formula started regarding soft revamps which turned out to become standard for any future subsequent series.

I should had been more precise within my post, so my apologies about that.

Ill give you how Misty return didn't helped advance new characters storylines. But to be honest she wasnt supposed to.

Whole point of Togep evolution two parter was to have Misty and her pokemon be main stars there, developing through new experience. With Togepi through evolution and finding place where it belongs, while for Misty in becoming aware of its secret power and importance to alternate dimension in maintaining equilibrium. Realizing whats best for her pokemon letting it go.
Serving purpose of giving update to how much Misty changed, wrap up one of major plots in her story(Togepi)and serve as bridge to previous generations. Keeping continuity stronger because of that.

In second cameo during Pallet reunion she helped fix broken relationship between Max and May teaching him important lesson about older siblings and how vauable family is making best use out of it. Despite disagreements and different outlook on workld you may have.
Being of great help in strengthening their relationship.

And i kinda liked how Misty was center of attention in those episodes personally.
Since guest characters already have limited time to gain focus and development to begin with, its preferable for me to see them be center of spotlight during that short time gaining something from return, learning new lessons or undergoing new experiences.

Getting their 5 minutes of glory and chance to achieve something big enough pushing story forward. Instead of necessarily sharing role with current main cast who has much more time to gain such things or in Ash, TR case(all the time in tbe world never running out of it).Which was anything but case for Dawn return in Unova not having any changes, development, updates etc. Thats what to me seemed more like fanservice, than Misty cameos.

Which is straying away from point of Hoenn still in my view having more links to Kanto/Johto and throwbacks than DP. Regardless of whether those throwbacks were handed with less substance than return of older characters in Sinnoh or not(if they were, at least chronicles helped compensate for that delivering more depth and material through which characters could be explored who played central role there) .

Not saying that. But since it didn't happen, then what the writers could have done with Kasumi doesn't matter so much as what they did. Famon had a problem with two characters following goals, I disagreed (and, you'll see, I even admitted that the addition of more plots in Jouto helped that part of the series) and pointed out why I thought it wasn't a bad thing at all.
I'm really not trying to start another Kasumi argument here, because I realize that it's something we're never going to agree on.

Fair enough because i share same sentiment about this as well.

But i still maintain belief pokemon anime would be in longer run better anime if it had stable group of well established characters. Living up message of this show beiong continuous story set in same universe and continuity. Following Ash and friends explore world of pokemon, build on friendship bringing humor and fun interactions, learn new things and advance their own dreams and careers. With writers staying faithful and consistent in pokemon instead of writing of their creations forever making it seem like all those close friendships, builded relationships, hard work and struggles characters went through in attempt to achieve dreams and go forward was done in vain if we will never see build up and if they came closer toward their aims.

Granted you could argue how long stay pulls with itself danger of those same characters "overstaying their welcone". But thats largely subjective to begin with!

Someone can grow sick of one protagonist already after 5 to 10 episodes, while other completely different individual can still enjoy in that character. Living up to his/her expectations, being viewed as charming and endearing to follow and containing appeal which suit that viewer taste.

If older characters in other TV shows can remain fresh, likable and fun in future through new interests, obstacles, personality traits developed because of maturing and new twists added to their life. Throwing new exciting and deep dimension to them coming to understanding how there is whole new side of those older characters and elements in their story we had no idea to even exist wanting to see how it will unfold out.

Same could had been achieved with pokemon as well. With problem not coming from having same protagonist for over 18 years or same characters , but in writers lack of either care, motivation or willingness in maintaining story and protagonists eventful, fresh and meaningful. With cast changes over and over again not fixing this issue .never being forced to try developing plot, journey and those set in it through more innovative, profound ways. Shedding new, changing light on character profession, quirks, personality and role he/she has.

I know you disagree and i respect your stance, but this is how i feel about formula this anime utilize personally.;)

p.s. Speaking of Misty, thats fine i realized long time ago she is required taste and polarizing character who always cause lot of debates and controversy. However for all intents and purposes i feel she is greatly underrated (especially among new generations of kids which grew up with newer girls). Being often looked down upon as "useless" simply because she received less focus than May and Dawn with most people sadly evaluating someone worth through quantity, rather than quality and importance Misty what appeared to be imo strong presence brought to show. Not to mention her battle abilities are often underestimated because she specialized in one type.
Along with people overlooking character development she received changing alot in personality sense which is discarded just because goal progressionn didnt followed emotional growth.

EDIT:
To Famon:
From wherever you got impression how Misty and Brock got next to nothing in Original series that isnt really true. In Kanto both Brock and Misty while having supportiing role still had plenty of episodes or even arcs dedicated to themselves. Tournaments like Princess festival, Acapulco beauty contest, underewater ballet, challenging bike gang, saving city from Tentacrue invasion etc in Misty case. Brock interactions with various characters and discovering new ways of nurturing pokemon extracting their inner beauty on surface like Suzie who gave him Vulpix, Florina whoich run shelter for Gloom and other grass types, AJ exchanging tips on preparing poke food. Entering PK1 tournament, battle for Togepi, serving as decoy in discovering truth behind mysterious maiden which was protected by Gastly etc gave both of Ash traveling companions enough focus to stand pon their own and be explored as well Aside from helping Ash in his growth as trainer.

In Orange islands writes opushed boundries even further building on romantic feelings from Misty toward Ash, had her battling trainers like Marina, meeting her idol ever since she was smal child E4 Loreleri learning how she wants to become prestiguous and honored water expert one day herself.
Helped enamored people get together like Nidoran kids demonstrating her witty and creative side. Saved Ash and Tracey like when they got poisoned seeing different, more caring side to her.
Overshadowing Ash by playing important subplot i fight against two gym leaders(Danny and Rudy), received vital role in saving Ash life in second movie and contributing in delivering orbs to Lugia temple,.

In beginning of Johto both Brock and Misty still had balanced spotlight. Being like backbone on which Ash can rely and his mentors. But their own characters and careers also began to be fleshed out. Through Brock helping baby Stantler or insecure Sudowoodo escaping from lab building on his knowledge as breeder, heping Ash Totodile with his love problems toward Azumarill etc. Misty learning to better understand water pokemon feelings like Marill forming strong attachment, tryng to nurse baby Wooper in school driving her crazy with their mischief behavior. Starting to be revealed more what her water pokemon master career involves seeing scenes of her praying to "water godess", trying to catch Totodile,etc, Along with both of them entering rescue missions in developing plan how to stop giant Arbok mecha tank saving Togepi, Pikachu and Sentret, exposing frauds like Archnid thief, finding way out of e chanted forest or cooperating with TR when they got split as groups in "Forest Grumps!" to save themselves from enraged Ursaring herd.

Just to fade away in background with Ash sometime after GS ball was dropped not having enough involvement in episodes with story feeling like its going nowhere. Even Ash in middle of Johto was at times so little focused that characters of day overshadowed him taking all credits(episodes such as "Pokespokesman! or "Light Fantastic!" comes to mind).

Until writers grouped their heads together deciding in what way to take main cast and story forward. With Master Quest dedicating lot of focus to Misty development, but Ash as well making significant leaps as trainer there.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
@DBZFan
Practically your long essay can be summed to one complaint: you'd prefer a group-centered anime where members don't come and go, instead what Pokemon is:a single-character centered anime.
You can not be helped here, you simply should leave pokemon alone,and find an anime that fits your taste.Sailor Moon, YuGiOh, or whatever, there are tons of animes to choose from.
But could you stop blaming a determining decision of production?

Not that Pokemon had not the chance to change its protagonist. I strongly suspect Dawn was invented to replace Ash on the 10th anniversary. I can not say why this did never happen. Maybe the company instead of making a decision relied questioning the audience, like Nando rises the question which'd be better, being a trainer or a coordinator. What is totally stupid, as a crowd whospent 10 years watching the same "hero" would not ever vote for change!

On the subject @Famon rised while I think on concept-level the original Brock&Misty did fit, in practice there was little to no interaction between them and Ash, and especially during Johto you didn't even crae for Ash himself, similarly when the complain was made that May overweighted Ash. During Johto not just Ash got diminished, but each of his team and connected storylines.

Now on the subject how the change of company would effect the anime on concept-level I think you all rely too much on old habbits and prejudice.
May was during the first episodes there to be a love-interest for Ash, but that disappeared almost immediately. May was changed,and her character mainly was there to expand the seriesfrom being just a pitfight-animal curelity and give Ash more style advancing his techniques. Thus May was a much better character. She also "shared the same goal" trying to be "the very best", while not interfering Ash's advancement. That's clever.
Yes, at a point May started to diminish Ash, but that's only because pomemon has bad writers as we all know.

I hold that AG is not as popular as the OS for being a total reboot, and it hurt so much noone even remember Battle Frontier even exist! And around here AG wasn't even in the tv - because OS (especially Johto League) sucked on such a level, noone saw it'd worth continuing!
While DS right from the start just looks bad. The dub (especially Dawn) sounds bad quality, the animation is a hugh stepback from AG (especially from BF), Ash again has no pokemons...It'd had been awesome if Ash rides in with his Charizard and such, and beatthe living s*t from that arrogant Paul, skip the starter-hunting crap and straight go hunt tier3 and legendary stuff. But pokemon is written worse than you'd even imagine.

PS: "Acapulco beauty contest, underewater ballet, challenging bike gang" - who cares for those FILLERS? Those episodes did NOTHING. They neither advanced characters, lore,or storylines. They were maybe excuses to give more screentime to some recurring characters,but that's it. They were BAD. As bad as motorcycle-gangs dealing gang-business with beyblades instead of guns on highways at 200 km/h. I just can't get how those things could get ANY audience.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I won't comment much on your post Twilight, but I will mention this much: those episodes you mentioned WEREN'T fillers even by your definition, as the Acapulco beauty contest featured the first appearance of Team Rocket's Gyarados submarine, the underwater ballet was the one where Misty had to leave her Horsea and Starmie at the gym [and Horsea at the very least was pretty much hinted at early into the episode], and the challenging of the bike gang actually gave some backstory to Jessie and James (granted, that got thrown out after Training Daze, but still...). And besides, by the logic that fillers are episodes that don't advance characters, lore, or storylines, that pretty much makes AG itself filler anyhow (do I really need to remind you that AG pretty much had Ash having the same results in Hoenn that he did in Johto [which quite frankly is unacceptable], neither advancing nor even failing. Remaining stagnant, and even the Battle Frontier, the closest thing Ash actually had to an advancement, was pretty much depicted as nothing in the end, especially when Paul constantly hands Ash his butt even after the former lost to Brandon, not to mention May ended up expendable and replaced with a character who does the same goal as May anyways).

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
But yes it WASNT DP, but AG when this formula started regarding soft revamps which turned out to become standard for any future subsequent series.
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with Jouto. One thing I think it might be worth keeping in mind here is that (to my knowledge, anyway) Jouto was never marketed in Japan as its own series like AG and DP, and was just an extension of the original Pocket Monsters.

In comparison, AG, DP, BW, and XY have clearly defined starting points, new casts, and endings - with only Satoshi, Pikachu, and Team Rocket to connect them to what came before. Unlike Jouto, they're advertised as their own shows. While they have references to the past, and can occasionally use callbacks to other series as a way of either fun references for older viewers and/or as a way to move their own storylines forward, continuity on the whole is more downplayed than Jouto was as a result of that.

I don't think it'd be inaccurate to say that each of them were intended to be fairly self-contained, even if they fit inside the same continuity. And again, I don't see that as necessarily being bad thing if done right (which I think AG and DP, for the most part, were). If nothing else, it makes AG/DP/BW/XY/etc. easier to judge on their own merits.

I know you disagree and i respect your stance, but this is how i feel about formula this anime utilize personally.
Likewise. I get that we all have our preferences for what we'd have liked to see the anime do and I certainly don't want to give the impression that you're wrong for having yours, even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

I just have a problem when fandom discussion - and this isn't aimed at you at all, but towards the post that was originally responding to - turns from whatever directions we'd prefer the writers had taken and why we think it'd be more entertaining to watch, into what we think needs to happen for the good of everybody involved, if that makes sense. The former is a normal part of being a fan, but the latter just smacks of entitlement. So sorry if I came off harsh or anything.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
@DBZFan
Practically your long essay can be summed to one complaint: you'd prefer a group-centered anime where members don't come and go, instead what Pokemon is:a single-character centered anime.
You can not be helped here, you simply should leave pokemon alone,and find an anime that fits your taste.Sailor Moon, YuGiOh, or whatever, there are tons of animes to choose from.
But could you stop blaming a determining decision of production?

Your right, i would prefer to have pokemon series with stable main cast, more plot based story and strong continuity.
But just because im expressing disappointment with direction executives of this show decioded to follow after Johto and onwards, doesnt mean i hate this show.

Because im still following it and managing to enjoy in newer characters, stories, developments, conflicts and innovations implemented in journey as whole.

I only happen to be disappointed with writers strategy. Because it deprives show your delivering to audience from its identity and those which defined it in first place. It damage continuity and previous events which left impact on characters which are still around(Ash) and storyline. Along with delivering in my view pretty linear and repetitive plot which hardly breaks ground with main protagonist and direction in which series are taken.

while I think on concept-level the original Brock&Misty did fit, in practice there was little to no interaction between them and Ash, and especially during Johto you didn't even crae for Ash himself, similarly when the complain was made that May overweighted Ash. During Johto not just Ash got diminished, but each of his team and connected storylines.

I really dont know from where you draw such conclusion. But Ash and Misty/Brock interacted ALOT.
Their dynamic contained lot of banter, humor and genuine friendship evoking journy of pokemon and growth between friends in natural, amusing manner.

If there was any grouo of traveling companions which succeeded in capturing message of pokemon being about friends which are there for each other, help themselves to move forward or give backbone on which you can rely when feeling down having fun laughing, talking about their dreams and issues comforting themselves and giving motivation not to give up while arguing or being annoyed at each other flaws sometimes only stengthening on realism of relationship it were definitely Brock, Misty and Ash developing high level of understnding, care and close bond between themselves which manifested itself very distinctively over the years.

May was during the first episodes there to be a love-interest for Ash, but that disappeared almost immediately. May was changed,and her character mainly was there to expand the seriesfrom being just a pitfight-animal curelity and give Ash more style advancing his techniques. Thus May was a much better character. She also "shared the same goal" trying to be "the very best", while not interfering Ash's advancement. That's clever.
Yes, at a point May started to diminish Ash, but that's only because pomemon has bad writers as we all know.

May was my second favorite female character, but im not sure if i would classify her as "superior" to others. She may be better character for you.

But i personally think how in thought complexity, depth of characterization, backstory which was pretty sad allowing to relate yourself to character. Pokemon and variety of interests and unique goal/career someone pursued.

Misty still is overall better character imo bringing more dynamic, humor, tension and energy in pushing story and others forward(such as Ash in becoming better trainer and more humble, open minded as person).
But thats matter of taste i guess.

- because OS (especially Johto League) sucked on such a level, noone saw it'd worth continuing!

You got your facts wrong. Johto had much higher ratings than any new series coming afterwards. And last seaion was considered widely among fans as one of better ones in pokemon history.

Liking all those arcs which added more creativity to story thjrough Whirl island detour, Red Gyardos or Lugia and mother arc.
Better fleshed out gym leaders like Pryce and Clair. Conclusion to rivalry between Ash and Gary.
With Johto Silver condference being regularly viewed as one of best leagues with only DP league so far matching it among many fans. Etc, etc.

Fans who left before Master Quest did so at time GS ball was dropped nerver getting to see if anime improved. And those who quit after Johto didnt left because of league but split of original trio and Misty removal from main cast. Being shocked and angered feeling pokemon lost large part of identity and charm it used to have with such move.

Since this is obviously directed toward me:
PS: "Acapulco beauty contest, underewater ballet, challenging bike gang" - who cares for those FILLERS? Those episodes did NOTHING. They neither advanced characters, lore,or storylines. They were maybe excuses to give more screentime to some recurring characters,but that's it. They were BAD. As bad as motorcycle-gangs dealing gang-business with beyblades instead of guns on highways at 200 km/h. I just can't get how those things could get ANY audience.

Acapulco episode couldnt be filler because recurring important characters like Ash mother and professor Oak, including rival Gary appeared there. On top of that it helped Misty achieve enough big position in event helping her damsaged and deconstructed selfconfidence due to constant older sister degrading proving her worth of having talent and beauty to be just as successful or more.

Underwater ballet episode("Misty Mermaid!") served same purpose developing Misty relationship with older sisters which were one of major issues surrounding her character along with two members of her team(Starmie and Horsea being left at gym as assistance).

Episide about bike gang gave us backstory about Jessie and James earlier life helping flesh out more their characters and while arguably didnt developed anyone it allowed for Misty and her pokemon to interact(Psyduck) being start of relationship which started on ewring foot, but with time developed in protective and caring nature for her pokemon from Misty side accepting his handicap.

Along with moving journey itself since by overcoming gang Ash and co were able to advance forward.

Its not just tournaments, pokemon captures, battle vs rivals or collecting shiny trinkets which advance character , its dream, or anime itself.
Its also all those subtle changes and key elements provided in episodes.

Allowing to show more sides of personality about Misty or other characters. Going deeper in his dreams and motivations, scratching further from surface and basic traits he/she was introduced with gives more substance to character enriching his personality making someone more deep and realistic adding to his appeal.

Exploring and building on already existing traits with them is also character development allowing audience to symphatize with someone, get to know him better and develop liking if its expressions, personality, actions, reactions, flaws, virtues etc leave positive impact on viewer.

P.S.
To @Lizardo
I understand from where your criticism comes and its perfectly legit. Many of us would like that anime is tailored down to our taste, preferences , needs and expectations. But there exist line between expressing your wishes, disappointments and criticism as part of your own evaluation and thoughts formed about product were viewing.

Or just downright trying to speak in everyone other name coming of as presumptuous and disrespectful.

I never tried to do later.

I guess for me it just happens that i would be more content and satisfied with pokemon series if at least tried to follow principle other long running shows set in same time line and continuity conducts.

Having beside Ash and TR nowadays consistent group of characters through which we could connect previous series with. Act as bridge which maintains continuity and ties with past important characters, events, struggles and achieements which both helped to mold Ash and others as result of their joirney.

I always kinda preferred if pokemon series had perhaps smaller, but very well developed group of characters. Going through deeper emotional growth, explore on unknown facets of their personalities and issues from past which were tried to be forgotten not emerging on surface unless someone else ignited them making us learh new, appreciating things about those we grew to like or even dislike helping us see from where at least theyre coming from causing them to be in writers mind portrayed the way they are. Take friendship to new, more meaningful level and utilize knowledge and skills attained in past in trying to overcome more challenging tasks on road of accomplishing goals.

Because if old timer has untapped potential, unfinished things in story, if we grew attached caring for his past diverse antics and fun personalities why to be deprived of follow up?

Most of all i wanted story which is consistent emphasizing on world building, friendship and strog connections between Ash and others which are revisited, acknowledging impact and value important heroes or heroines left in this show maintaning their legacy and revisiting unfinished plots, dreams , feelings and subplots which were just dropped and forgotten about (sadly thats not the case for older ones like Misty, May, Max).

Story where previous experiences, lessons and subplots carry itself to next generation not experiencing revamp. But follow up serving as supplement and composite to help better construct future amd new scopes, adventures and tasks main star and his companion go through.
Having elements in anime which would better represent it and provide identity.

And it used to have resemblance of such type of show until massive cast changes started dropping in quality in that aspect for me.

Granted i came to accept how this is pipe dream and how in pokemon writers and directors dont have incetive, enough care and desire to put more effort and energy in this anime.

But still i cannot help but feel how if at least some of elements i mentioned were applied, this anime could be better, more accessible and eventful to follow than it is now.

Last edited:
Back