• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

when did the anime pokemon jump the shark ?

when the pokemon anime jumped the shark?

• jhoto saga

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • advanced saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pearl and diamond saga

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • BW saga

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • when Ash leaved to charizard in charizific valley

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • when misty leaves the serie

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • when brock leaves the serie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • when tobias defeated ash

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • when cameron defeated ash

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
AG had the highest ratings of all the sagas that came after the OS. You can see the Japanese ratings here. The link works:

http://wiki.ポケモン.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧

Every series is presented there. The ratings of every saga are highest when it first starts and then goes down as it progresses. The reason the original series has such high ratings is due to the initial fad of the Pokemon franchise, and the fact that it was a brand new series at the time.

Also basing the ratings on Misty is idiotic, she just happened to be part of the show when the fad of the Pokemon anime was at its highest. If any other female were in Misty's place at the start of the show, it would be exactly the same. Had Serena been the first girl, she would have been the one with the highest ratings....or had Erika been chosen as the tagalong female Gym leader instead of Misty, it would have been the same deal.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
AG had the highest ratings of all the sagas that came after the OS. You can see the Japanese ratings here. The link works:

http://wiki.ポケモン.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧

Every series is presented there. The ratings of every saga are highest when it first starts and then goes down as it progresses. The reason the original series has such high ratings is due to the initial fad of the Pokemon franchise, and the fact that it was a brand new series at the time.

Also basing the ratings on Misty is idiotic, she just happened to be part of the show when the fad of the Pokemon anime was at its highest. If any other female were in Misty's place at the start of the show, it would be exactly the same. Had Serena been the first girl, she would have been the one with the highest ratings....or had Erika been chosen as the tagalong female Gym leader instead of Misty, it would have been the same deal.

That may have been the case for the dubs outside Japan, but it's definitely not the case for the ratings in Japan, especially when that's considered a cultural phenomenon there, not even a fad. So no, AG actually did have poor ratings. Sure, it may have been higher initially than DP, or BW, or especially XY, but that just means they did worse than AG.

And yeah, actually, Misty's removal did have a huge hand on the ratings collapsing in AG. If her removal truly didn't impact the ratings, and if anything actually helped improve the show, it would get about the kind of ratings (IN Japan, I should point out) Orange Islands got.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
So you're saying AG had poor ratings when it had the highest ratings of all the post-OS series, and its average ratings range from 6.0-9.0's? Ratings began to decline toward the end of the saga but that's the same case for every series. The ratings had another spike at the beginning of DP but then it gradually went down as DP progressed too.

Also new kids get into pokemon every generation who have never seen any of the older sagas, while older fans drift out of the anime. That's how it is.

I don't think the writers give a crap that 25-30 year old adults who grew up with Kanto nearly 20 years ago aren't watching the anime anymore. LMAO.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
So you're saying AG had poor ratings when it had the highest ratings of all the post-OS series, and its average ratings range from 6.0-9.0's? Ratings began to decline toward the end of the saga but that's the same case for every series. The ratings had another spike at the beginning of DP but then it gradually went down as DP progressed too.

I don't think the writers give a crap that 25-30 year old adults who grew up with Kanto nearly 20 years ago aren't watching the anime anymore. LMAO.

AG got better rating then other Post-OS series because it aired right after OS series.
But if you cheek the rating Properly , You will see Pokemon use to get 9.0 to 12.0 rating until The ''Battle Frontier'' ark where Pokemon rating decline to 7.0 to 8.0 !
Then it started to decline even more & more in DP Series , Then BW series and XY series.

Also new kids get into pokemon every generation who have never seen any of the older sagas, while older fans drift out of the anime. That's how it is.
Except that formula only work with anime like Doreamon !
However , Doreamon & Pokemon are in Different category ! Just like Crayon Shin-chan is in different category then both Pokemon & Doreamon.
The main reason Doreamon can afford to use this formula because none of the main character has any main Goal to achieve ! Doreamon's Goal was to change Nobita's future which he already achieved while Nobita's only dream is to marry Shizuka which he already did in Future.
Unlike Doreamon , Pokemon started with Ash having a Big Goal ! As long as Ash has a Goal , The anime can't be like Doreamon .
An Episode of Doreamon is rewritten several time ! Can you expect any Pokemon Episode to be rewritten ?
Why do you think Doreamon still retain its Old high TV Rating while Pokemon's rating drops with every series ???
Because Newer fans doesn't watch Pokemon like we older fans did ! Unlike them, we actually believed Ash will win The league , Catch Legendary pokemon and become a Pokemon Master so we were inspire to hold on this series .
However Unlike Us , Newer fans already knows that Ash never wins the league ! He just start all over again So they doesn't have the inspiration to hold on to this series and drops this series after a few episode !

As for Pikachu's Pika Pika face goes , If a cute animal is good enough to make an Anime popular then anyone could make super popular Kids Anime with cuter animal then Pikachu.

PS : Also If Newer fans that important then it much better to replace Main character in every series Because its hard to catch up with a series with a Protagonist that least for 20 year !
For example : A newer fan would hardly have any idea about Ash's old Pokemon and companion.
Trust me , I knew this when I tried to watch Detective Conan ! However this series has So Many episode that it nearly impossible to catch with the series .

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
Actually, back in Kanto, it got around 15 at the very least, 17 at most. In fact, the highest rated episode of Kanto, the Ponyta episode, actually topped off at a 17.9 or something like that. THAT'S decent ratings, not a 4. A rating of 4 is actually extremely poor. And for the record, it's not even on the top 10 anymore, and hasn't been for quite some time. And also, the Simpsons and NCIS have been getting ratings in the 20s, and those actually stream their episodes online (heck, you can even watch them on their channels' websites). It needs to be within the 10s to get remotely decent ratings. 9-6 would qualify as average, while 4 and below are actually poor ratings. And BTW, Irregular Hunter Z, a guy who actually is from Japan and actually follows the ratings constantly, noted that Pokémon was doing horribly in that thread I showed you.

And actually, Anime News Network stated twice that it was on TVAsahi, NOT TVTokyo, and that was from a few months ago. Heck, I've even got the sources, both of which Poke245 posted:

*http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-02-03/japan-animation-tv-ranking-january-19-25/.83985

*http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-17/japan-animation-tv-ranking-march-2-8/.86006

And as you can see with both Poke245 and Irregular Hunter Z's ratings postings, the Pokémon Anime is actually tanking. And based on the former's statements, even online it's doing horribly (for starters, Pokemon XY has about 163 votes and ranks 7th on most watched cartoons online. Likewise, both Naruto and One Piece actually outrank Pokemon in terms of ratings by a landslide (490 and 466, respectively, meaning it's not even a close race).

And if ratings truly were meaningless, then shows such as Heroes or West Wing would not have been cancelled due to low ratings, not to mention GCB (which actually couldn't even get past a single season before it got axed largely due to poor reception and ratings), Maureen (which only lasted two seasons), or even 30 Rock (which is probably one of the few shows that actually lasted long despite having horrible ratings, which is mostly due to the network trying to push an agenda). For a Japanese example, the Love Hina anime would not have been cancelled due to a loss of revenue or loss of ratings (and in fact, that particular example was particularly infamous for literally cutting the anime short just as it was about to start a new season). After all, since ratings are meaningless, they shouldn't be cancelled due to low ratings. In fact, we wouldn't even HAVE ratings at all. Heck, Detective Conan even now is getting ratings in the 10s, close to Johto's ratings, and that's had two more years of existence than Pokemon had for the anime overall, starting in 1996. Besides, Pokemon has aired at the same time and day since the events of the Porygon Seizure Incident, yet even in AG, where the Pike Queen Lucy episode had the lowest rated episode in AG and at the time the lowest rated episode ever, probably the closest Pokemon has to a dud show, never went this low in ratings, while Pokémon's consistently gotten a 3, maybe a 5 if they're really lucky.

Except he also indicated that removing Misty may have been a turn for the worse alongside some other factors for the show, especially when he complained about AG's quality, as well as to a lesser extent Johto's quality as well, largely because the executives are trying to make it more kiddified and more of an advertising vehicle. Oh, and for the record, DBZ Fan also noted that Misty's removal was indeed detrimental for the show ultimately, and even noted that he said this as well. Even if I didn't care for Misty or the OS series at all, heck, even if I flat out hated them, I still would say it.

Okay, AG had the gym leaders losing very easily to rookie Pokémon, similar to Jessie, James, and Meowth from Episode 3 when they lost against a Caterpie who was completely inexperienced, barely even alive, and was even at the opposing end of a type advantage (being bug type, while Ekans and Koffing were poison types). The only exceptions I can truly think of for the Hoenn gym leaders are Roxanne (since she was beaten by Pikachu, who is a confirmed veteran), and Brawley (since he actually beat Ash the first time around). DP was slightly better, in the sense that Roarke, Gardenia, and Maylene managed to beat Ash the first time around or at the very least tie with him, although ultimately, they still ended up having Ash beat them first time around later on with his rookie Pokémon. And based on what Lizardo stated, the BW Gym Leaders fared even worse than AG. Kalos is probably the only region other than the original series to actually HAVE the Gym Leaders treated as actually being competent. Half of them (one of whom is one of Ash's current traveling partners) so far have been demonstrated to be very competent and skilled, two of them even beating Ash the first time around, and even the other half managed to demonstrate their skills elsewhere (not to mention in the case of Grant had a perfectly justifiable reason for losing the first time around, since he limited himself while allowing Ash free access to his Pokémon). When seasoned pros such as Gym Leaders lose to rookie Pokémon, it reflects very badly on them. Heck, Jessie James and Meowth's loss against Caterpie in episode 3 is pretty much what gave them a reputation both among fans and in-universe as being horrible and pathetic trainers.

I don't care if it made it boring, at least it would be realistic. And besides, Ash ended up stomping through every gym leader in Hoenn with his rookies, which is even worse. And yes, I know that Pikachu had its power fluctuated in the OS. It lost to an Eevee, after all right after beating a Dragonite. However, at least the OS didn't resort to level resets, and in fact Ash actually managed to beat Falkner very easily with Charizard and Pikachu. I don't like it when veteran Pokémon are treated like trash, and having power fluctuate does qualify as trash. If you're going to actually have Pokémon be veterans, the least you can do is keep it consistent even if it's boring.

It's not an exaggeration at all. Look, Caterpie ended up wounded from an earlier battle with Pidgeotto (largely due to Ash's stupidity). It also ended up near-dead as a result, Ekans and Koffing managed to take down Pidgeotto earlier, AND they were definitely a lot more experienced than Caterpie was, since it was implied they were familiar enough with their Pokémon (and if Island of the Giant Pokémon is anything to go by, they had them for at least a year, if not more, and I'm going by Japanese dub, not the English dub, which indicated they had them for at most a year). Oh, and JJM were dangerous enough in their debut episode to actually have Ash try to flee, not to mention have their own wanted poster right in front of the police station. Meowth likely was even more experienced than them, and actually was fresher than Ekans and Koffing, and certainly far more fresh than Caterpie. They got KO'd easily, just as Pikachu did with Ursaring (who 100 episodes or not, still hasn't even entered a league yet and thus is still very much a rookie), and got injured beforehand with the guts ability being activated, and Pikachu being a veteran compared to it.

EDIT: While Lizardo is indeed correct in that I haven't watched much of DP, I have followed up on it via summaries, Bulbapedia articles, and places such as Dogasu. And BTW, just because I haven't watched DP much doesn't mean that I don't have a clue about anything that went on. The mere fact that I was able to mention who Pikachu lost to in the Paul battle shows I did know something about it. Honestly, if they really had to have Pikachu lose, they should have had him lose to Torterra, the one Pokémon actually close to his experience level, NOT to a rookie (and yes, Ursaring is a rookie as it hadn't even fought in a league yet).

The reason why the ratings are so low is because Pokemon is not a fad anymore like it used to be back in the 90s. AG is the series were Pokemon started to jump the shark and the DP series is were the show became very terrible because everything throughout that region didn't feel anything like Pokemon at all, and it doesn't help matters out that Sinnoh had way too much drama which took away all of the fun Pokemon used to have back in the Original series.

The show was already going downhill before BW/XY even made their tv debut, the Original series had very high ratings because Pokemon was a very big fad back then, nowdays that's not the case anymore because the fad has long past and people has out grown the anime over the year's, the last time the show was at it's peak was during the Orange Islands/Johto sagas.

I do believe Misty being removed from the show did cause it to decline a whole lot and Johto was supposed to be the series finale, they should have ended the show after the OS because there was no point for the show to keep going on and on..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Misty leaving was definitely not jumping the shark. You can dislike the decision all you want, but it made sense, and considering what became of Brock by the end of DP I'm glad she left. AG isn't my favourite saga, but it's not like the show went to absolute crap after Misty left (and it's not like OS was perfect either, especially Johto), and even if you did dislike AG, you'd be hard pressed to prove that it's problems were caused by a lack of Misty. Just because some long time fans were disappointed in the decision doesn't mean that it was a bad one, that the show decreased in quality, or that their opinion even matters considering they're well out of the target demographic.

I can agree how reactions over Misty departure may have been exaggerated. But in people defense she was in anime for 5 years creating on strong relationship with Ash, Brock and others leaving lot of time to form emotional link with viewers, there were many subplots introduced around character with writers doing build up but never reaching culmination and resolution with most of them. And people were secured in feeling how there wil be plenty of time to see her story and dreams play out eventually because of thinking she would be permanent female lead(especially after Brock returned pushing Tracey out of picture).

People thought Misty would be for Pokemon what Nami or Robin are for One Piece, Sakura/Hinata for Naruto, Lucy for Fairy Tail, Rukia for Bleach etc, etc.

It also didnt helped that many things including her water master goal were getting explored on more meaningful level in Whirl islands giving impression how staff learned on mistakes having idea in what direction to take her forward and how we might see stronger, more substantial development coming from this.

And to see all that build up and story go to waste never becoming water pokemon master. Reach E4 level wanting to be trained by Lorelei, meet legendary water pokemon discovering secrets and their origins ending unresolved. Pokeshippers would say feelings for Ash were left open too and theyre kinda right because hints were too damn obvious to pretend like "nothing happened" giving out impression how conflicts happening inside character leaded somewhere with way her personality changed growing alot emotionally at late Johto compared to early Kanto.

Along with writers putting her in catch 22 situation. Leaving her future completely blurred and uncleared. Not showing further progress on her masterdreams and how will situation wth sisters and Misty desire to become more than gym leader play out.

Considering how Misty based on chronicles mainly stayed at gym because of incompetent sisters implying desire to leave, not giving up from her dreams of becoming best water trainer unlike Brock or Gary.

Add to that fact how Misty was removed right before pokemon saga which had most water related plots and experts in history of this anime. Such as Hoenn. Where Misty could had be explored and receive justice to her dreams and story.

Champions like Wallace and powerful water trainers like Sootopolis gym leader Juan, villains like Team Aqua which used water pokemon for malefic purposes centered around legendary Kyogre, possible expansion from Whirl Cup entering tournaments which would advance her water master career, all kind of new pokemon like Surskit which as half bug would set up ground for strong character growth having Misty torn between her despise for bugs and love for water holding her back in becoming water master and achieving deep level of understanding for them , even 9th movie about Manaphy offered so much potential to develop Misty character more.

Its not like May couldnpt have joined even if Misty stayed and admittedly it would had been fresh and original move from writers part to have 2 main girls in cast at same time back than. With Misty taking over mentor role teaching May how to be better trainer establishing sister like relationship and warning, criticizing May not to be so gulible and naive falling for other people tricks like Harley. While concurrenty May innocent, cluelless nature could remind Misty of her younger, starting days and how she came to realization what ideals and dreams she started following in life. Delivering dimension and strength to characer relationships on more notable degree than presence of Brock there or JJM trio endless attempts to steal Pikachu did provide.

So its not surprising why this fueled up people disappointment, anger, sadness and disbelief even more when right before saga from which Misty as water trainer could benefit the most was throwed away.

And backlash was HUGE, resulting in many, many fans quitting with pokemon due to feeling how original direction this anime followed, identity and purpose within anime story was damaged. With break of continuity and disband of stable main cast.

Decreasing quaity of pokemon show for them due to stopping to have characteristics of coherent story which builds on itself using past and relatable stable characters as platform on which future is build as they walk toward ultimate destination. With soft resets or start from scratch with every new generation happening afterwards t.

You do realize how Misty departure caused huge backlash among fandom with significant portion of people quitting in protest because of that?

Something none of new femake companions leaving caused within itself.
Doing faulty generalization if you seriously believe how any of new girls being placed in Misty place would leave exact same impact or cause same reaction from fandom.
With different personalities, chemistry incited among others, backgrounds, dreams, pokemon and roles they played leaving different legacy and influence on way journey, development and relationship between characters would unfold out.

Granted you can try to ascribe drop of pokemon ratings to pokemon fad dying out and you wouldnt be wrong in claioming that. But for further loss of viewers in west was responsible Misty departure and disband of original trio. With pokemon ratings in Master Quest on average having higher ratings than Hoenn generation in reality had.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Here is a line from Takeshi shudo's blog that @Gray wind has posted --

---
And why she left the show. After the show got longer, there was a decline in ratings so they thought of changing something about the main characters and the villains.
Here is the rating of Pokemon Anime so far-

http://wiki.ポケモン.com/wiki/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%8B%E3%83%A1%E3%81%AE%E3%82%B5%E3%83%96%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4%E3%83%88%E3%83%AB%E4%B8%80%E8%A6%A7

Now Takeshi Shudo said that they had to change something about the Main Character because of a decline in Rating! So they decide to replace Misty .
Now , Let cheek the rating .
As we all can see , A ''Decline in Rating'' mean Pokemon Jotho series start getting 9.00 to 7.00 rating regularly which was still a good rating.
But it was enough for the writers to replace Misty.
However , we can see another decline in rating stated from AG081 where pokemon started to get 6.00 to 5.00 rating Regularly.
Which got even worst in DP and then BW series !
Now I'm not blaming this on Misty leaving ! However , I do point out Writer made such as decision just because Pokemon regularly started to get 9.00 to 7.00 rating during Jotho.
So Now that Pokemon face even worst decline in TV rating , Doesn't that mean Writers must change something about the Main Characters again ! Something beside Ash's sidekick since they already changed them.
That's My real question !
May be , Its not the sidekicks that needs a change !
May be, Its the entire Story-structure that needs a change .
May be , Fans had enough with Gym-leader & Battle frontier ! They want something beyond that.
Bottom line is , Pokemon XY series TV rating will decline even more then Now after Kalo League So Writers should think twice before Jumping the shark again ! They should stop listening to those idiots who claim Pokemon to be unstoppable and endless because Nothing last forever.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Obviously there is a problem with the anime. The rating is now 3.8 and under of that in Japan, and the battles are not good as they was in the past.

I think that the main problem is the years, It's been 18 years since the start of the anime in 1997. It's too much, and the writers can't find new things to write about. Rockets are boring, battles are boring, Serena is boring, Citron is pretty boring, there is no main rival. I think that the anime in Japan might end before the games one day, and I woldn't be surprised to see it happening in the 7th or 8th generation.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Obviously there is a problem with the anime. The rating is now 3.8 and under of that in Japan, and the battles are not good as they was in the past.

I think that the main problem is the years, It's been 18 years since the start of the anime in 1997. It's too much, and the writers can't find new things to write about. Rockets are boring, battles are boring, Serena is boring, Citron is pretty boring, there is no main rival. I think that the anime in Japan might end before the games one day, and I woldn't be surprised to see it happening in the 7th or 8th generation.

In order to do new thing , Writers must have the willingness for it ! But writers are so obsessed with keeping thing the way they were before that they won't try something even if the game introduce something new.
For example : The Game introduce a new concept call Megevolution ! But Writer completely against idea so Ash getting Megevolution because they think Ash will be too OP !
They rather have completely random and minor character promoting Megevolution over Ash.
Here the way I would done thing--

---1) Ash will not lose at the Unove League , It will get cancel mid-way because of N & Team Plasma.

---2) Ash will enter & win ''World Tournament Junior Cup'' which will be bigger and longer like a League ark.

---3) Alexa will make her appearance there.

---4) Ash will meet a mysterious Old Man who give a Mega ring and tell him that his charizard can reach another level if he goes to Kalo .

---5) Ash goes to Kalo with Alexa , meet Clemont & Bonnie , Frokie appear to save Pikachu from TR and Ash take him to Prof Sycamore.

---6) In Sycamore Lad , Ash meet his childhood friend Serena who remember him as the ''Trouble-maker'' from Prof Oak's Lad! She is working as Prof Sycamore's assistant

---7) My Serena has more tough personality like her Manga Counterpart ''Y'' , Unlike Anime Serena ! Ash remember her as ''The girl who always nag about everything''.

---8) Prof sycamore get surprise when he saw Ash with a Mega Ring and ask where he get it ! Prof sycamore later explain Megevolution to Ash and his Mega ring's function.

---9) Everything remain the same with except Ash & Serena constantly arguing ! Garchamp goes insane , Ash climb prism Tower to save him and Frokie joining him.

---10) Serena later join Ash's group so she can collect information about Megevolution (Since Ash has a Mega ring).

---11) Serena & Ash's 1st meeting flashback remain the same except one thing ! Serena use to live in Kento until her mother move to Kalo.

---12) Serena also hiding a secret ! She was a Former ''Kalo Queen'' and ''Sky Battle Champion'' until she quit and start working as Prof Sycamore assistant.

---13) My Ash has a more sly personality and will tease anyone whenever he get a chance specially Alain & Serena.

This way I would handle XY series !
Writers could done this as well but their obsession with keep Ash an underdog stopped them.

Last edited:
Back