• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When do you use Rare Candies?

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I usually use them when I have a pokemon that's one level away from evolving, or learning some really cool move. Unless of course the pokemon in question is already fairly close to leveling up again.

How about you guys?

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    I generally save every Rare Candy I come across in the game until just before a major battle event in the game, such as the Elite Four or Red. Then, I use all the Rare Candies on my team to bring them to the highest levels I can.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    If I need to evolve a Pokemon in a hurry. Otherwise, I don't use them often. I can usually train a Pokemon without them.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I only use rare candies when I need to evolve a Pokemon with a high happiness or if any of my Pokemons were to get to level 99 and I was too lazy to train anymore.

Other than that, I just keep it in my bag.. waiting for the right time to use it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Here are my circumstances:

- If it's a new team member and is severely lacking in levels
    - It it's a hard to level up Pokemon and needs a boost
    - Solo, duo, or trio challenges

:3c

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I save them all up so I can use them to check IVs of level 1 Pokemon without having to do anything complicated. xD Save, use all the Rare Candies, restart without saving, now I know the IVs much better than I did at level 1 and still have them all for next time!

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I use them right before the Elite Four. That way, I can make a few adjustments to my team and balance the levels out a bit.

Blazing Flare

Burning brightly
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    I only use them when a pokemon is close to evolving
    (especially an annoying one to evolve normally, like magikarp).
    Since from what I understand, Rare Candies yield no EV bonuses,
    they aren't optimal for leveling outside very specific circumstances.

That said, I agree they can be useful near the very end before the
    elite four to maximize each team member's potential in shorter order
    than it would be usually feasible.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I only use rare candies on level 99 pokemon.
    They worked hard to get to level 99, they deserve a treat! As well as it makes my life easier. ^.^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I rarely use my Rare Candies, but when I do, it's for evolving my Pokemon or getting them to learn a certain move at a certain level.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
    I save them all up so I can use them to check IVs of level 1 Pokemon without having to do anything complicated. xD Save, use all the Rare Candies, restart without saving, now I know the IVs much better than I did at level 1 and still have them all for next time!

I agree with this. I only use Rare Candies when I'm checking IV's.

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    I use Rare Candy when I'm 100% done with EV Training since the mechanics are better in black and white the stats wont get messed up

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I generally save every Rare Candy I come across in the game until just before a major battle event in the game, such as the Elite Four or Red. Then, I use all the Rare Candies on my team to bring them to the highest levels I can.
    I agree with this. I only use Rare Candies before a major battle

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I use them then soft reset when I'm checking IV's. Other than that I'll use them on my EV trained Pokemon once they get above around Lv95 or so, just to make that final push that much easier on me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Aside from making IVs that much easier to nail down on low-level Pokemon or for a quick boost before a big fight, there's another way I sometimes use Rare Candies out of battle.

Due to the way the level-up mechanic works, if you feed a Rare Candy to a fainted Pokemon, it will recover from the fainted status with the amount of HP they gained upon leveling. Then they're valid targets for any of the various potions and other curatives, and the end result is that they're stronger than when they got their butts kicked!

Back