• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When getting a new Pokemon game, do you buy the guide as well?

Caelus

Gone
Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I brought the NP Emerald, FR/LG, and DP guide with whatever they were for, but with sites like Gamefaqs and IGN I don't really see a need for them anymore.

I do enjoy reading them, though.

Years
  • I kind of follow a pattern. I bought the guides for RS and DP. Basically, I buy the guide for the first two games in each new generation. I also bought that Prima Pokedex guide.

I like guides because they are easier to carry around, and easier to navigate than my PC.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I bought game guides for games in Generations I-III and for both Pokemon Stadium games. With such luxuries like Serebii and Bulbapedia, the internet provides even more information that a guidebook could provide and provides it in a quick, organized manner.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I've only gotten one. It was for crystal. I still have it, but its falling apart!!

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • When I first got Silver, my friend gave me a really battered-up guide for it, but it quickly became my favorite book after that. It was the only reason how I got past the game without epically failing.

Then, there was Emerald and its guild. I also got one for XD: Gale of Darkness. It came in handy, as Orre is totally different from the other worlds of Pokemon.

Years
  • I have always wanted to buy the Prima guides, but unfortunately the games themselves empty my wallet. ;) However in all honesty I wouldn't want the guide for the actual information - I just love the artwork. I'd treat it as more of a collectable artbook like my perfectly preserved Digimon Adventure Japanese encyclopedias. :)

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
  • All of the games I've bought, even the spin off games, have the guide included with the game or it's something like 15% off when you buy the game, so I just get the guides anyway. I find them very useful as I like knowing what's around the corner. My internet ain't very good either so I can't just look things up quickly. Having the guides is definitely helpful, I'll continue to buy them. It is disappointing though when they have errors. The FR/LG guide I have has really bad spelling. :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2010
    Hi,
    No I didn't buy the guide as one of the member has already said without guide it's more fun to play.

Ωmega

Four score and seven years ago
    Years
  • Nah. Buying the guide as a walkthrough sucks the fun out of the game. I prefer to get to places and find things on my own: way more fun that way. Also, my Pokemon end up stronger because of all the unnecessary battling I partake in. :3 However, guides are a good resource for information pertaining to stats and whatnot and critical item locations, such as PP Ups, HP Ups, Plates, Fossils (though fossils are easier to get in DPPt Underground...) and other stuff.

Sir Sterling

The Knight in Shining Silver
    Years
  • I usually don't buy the guides. If I get really stuck, I look it up online.

It also just seems to spoil the surprises in the games. When I go into a new region, I like wandering in the grass to see what will pop out at me. This is why I was like "ZOMG!!!!!" when I got jumped by a Chansey in the first half of Diamond. When you buy the guides, they tell you what Pokemon are in the regions and that makes it less fun for me.

My obsessive need to catch every Pokemon I don't have in the Pokedex, even if I never use them, made me waste all my Great Balls and some Pokeballs on that Chansey. It took over ten tries to finally catch it, and I had to run away the first time to get my Hypnosis Hoothoot out of the PC. Thus, another fifteen minutes of searching for that elusive Chansey.

When I finally did catch it I felt really successful. I checked it out in the PC and it had some pretty good moves. Then I realized I had a level 16 Pokemon with over 100 hit points and I was like LOLWUT! O_O =D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Depends on the guide. Platinum's guide was really nice so I bought that when I picked up my preorder. (Finally a pokedex AND scenario guide in one? Yes please!) Otherwise, I usually just try to get the Pokedex guide that comes out. The scenario is easy enough to figure out without a guide (and difficult maps to traverse are available online if you look hard enough) but sometimes it's nice to just have a Pokedex you can hold in your hands and flip through rather than searching multiple pages of Bulbapedia. :x

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • No, I do not.

I got this friken' 20 pound damn Platinum guide book for X-Mas. I was like "OMFG HOW BIG IS THAT THING AGAIN!?!" My mom just said "It's BIG."

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yes. I always use a guide.

It's called the Q & A section of whichever generation's game i'm using!

But with older games, i'd have loved the guides, i often read the instructions for nostalgia (although Gen.3 nostalgia doesn't exist according to tons of people), as Emerald had a massive instruction booklet.I used it to revise for a GCSE German exam.Surprisingly, i've apparently done well!!

I'd never buy it for Hg/Ss, as i've already read Serebii's articles (sadly), so i'm trying to forget them by march.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    I got the guides for generation one and two, but only because I was young and didn't have the internet.
    If I get stuck now I just go to Gamefaqs or Google.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I did for RBY and GS but then I started to realize that all the games prety much follow the same basic storyline and there isn't much deviation from that.

Back