• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

when has it begun?

humanking

Old School Fan
Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2010
    I just remembered that the night of the 31st of january 1999, i was stuck to my gameboy all night playing my new pokemon red that i had for christmas, so i can say i've been playing those on and off for 11 years... ouch...

how long has it been for you?

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I believe it started on my seventh birthday when I received some Pokemon cards as a present(most of them were fakes though).
    And then I got Pokemon red at my next birthday, some time after Crystal's release I stopped playing for around a year.
    So that would have to be...
    Nearly 11 years (my birthday's tomorrow so it will be the anniversary of when I first started playing).

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    My 9th birthday, April 13th 2003. Remember it like it was yesterday. I got Ruby and was addicted to it. At first I had asked my mom for a Hamtaro game (lol) and somehow she must have confused that with pkmn and got me Ruby! That started my addiction to the games, but I was watching the anime since like '99.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Some time in November, 1998...It was definitely during my first year of middle school. I remember because pokemon was gaining momentum as a fad in the Spring semester of that year, and by my second year of middle school, the fad was in full force.

My younger brother got Red for his (belated) birthday and I got Blue a month later for Christmas. Because I had helped my brother get through his game, I was able to breeze through Blue in a week. I distinctly remember spending New Year's Eve fighting the E4. XD

Monochrome

[♠]♦]♣]♥]
    Years
  • Sometime in 1998, my first Pokemon game ever was Pokemon Red... When I first got it I had no idea how to read but through the power of Pokemon it slowly taught me, oh to be 4 years old and only use Blastoise to try and take out the entire Elite Four... The good old days XD

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think around about... 2000? Pokemon yellow was the first pokemon game I played on meh gameboy pocket XD... I must have been around 4 or 5? XD

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I think it was around 2002 when I played Pokemon Crystal. Then came Pokemon Ruby.
    I wanted to try it out because everyone in my school was into it XD..

Crazydusknoir

Her Crazy Awesomeness
    Years
  • I first got a Game Boy Color with Pokemon Red when I was about 5 or 6, so it was 2001 or 2002.

I nearly completed Red. My Pokedex was 147 and I only needed Zapdos, Moltres and Mewtwo but I didn't know that it was a good idea to save before battling legendaries, so I beat them. Then the game glitched up, so I started again. :(

dooxer

42 or not 42
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2013
    There used to be a group of kids (grade 2? 3?)that pretended to be the pokemon know-alls, so when I told them I had just gotten red, they laughed at me like i was some noob. That is what really got me going >:D

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • when i was in Grade 1-2 i used to be one of those Pokemon now it all's, then i stoped playing it until i was 17. it really sucked

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • Around 2000 or so was when I first started to like PKMN. I only started playing the games in June 2006 however, when I got Emerald.

agentk_b

Grass Type Trainer
    Years
    • Age 44
    • Seen Jun 15, 2010
    My pokemon fandom began in september 1998 with the anime....I first played pokemon on my friends Gameboy pocket in septmeber 1998, his red version,.. he would let me train up his pokemon in the wild or catch new pokemon in what area he was in. and thats it, but i was happy enough to do that.. but I did not officially become a trainer until 1999, i preordered pokemon yellow from best buy and got a gameboy color for christmas. I'm an older fan... I was 19 when i started my journey lol

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i think it was 1998? i got a game boy plus red, blue and yellow for my birthday. so about 12 years, if i remember right

Cloudfall

Togekisser
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    If I remember... I think it was somewhere in 1999 when I was 7, with Pokemon Red. :3

Since then, I've played Crystal, Diamond, Platinum, and SoulSilver. So I guess it's been about 11 years of my life. :O

Back