• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you hack, what do you do first?

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    i always start by filling the first map with starter pokemon! it's so fun to just go out and hunt down all the starters. X3 (i also include pikachu and eevee.)

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    1) Make a region map.
    2) Then only I think a storyline
    3) Tiles
    4) OW
    5) Map
    6) Scripts.

Unfortunately, I`m stuck at step 2. No good storyline zzzz....

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Back when I used to hacked, I didn't think about anything before making a hack. I just made stuff 'at the spot'.

Inferny

Lord of Pokabu
    Years
  • I first change the intro, add in whatever extra sprites I may need, and map the first towns and such. I feel it's best to get the basics done first so you get a good layout and knows what to add next!

Tranitar

Working on Pokémon Wraith
    Years
  • I usually map first and add sprites when i get an idea for a poke to be in an area like this
    Spoiler:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
    Years
  • I do things as I feel like doing each one, like today I felt like inserting new tiles, so, I inserted new tiles. And as I post this, I feel like mapping, which is what I'm about to do..... Right..... NOW!

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • First i planned out the basic storyline first.
    Then i think what skills i can do and who/what other skills i needed.
    Then i find members who can help out wiht my hack
    Then discuss the storyline with them and plan the hack.
    Then distribute the task equally like for me do tile inserting first,sprite trainers,if have fakemon,sprite fakemons too.I will also be making the graphics stuff i needed.
    After tile inserted, then i start mapping the whole maps i need for first beta,then have the scripts done.Maybe in between,i will have my graphics stuff inserted then voila..

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I usually insert tiles first because scripting needs mapping so i can determine where all person events are and not have to edit them later and if i ever insert a new tile replacing one that had nothing to with it than that could destroy my mapping and after that sprite editting then mapping than scrpting and finally title screen editting plus specials like animations and level scripts.

hackerofdarkness

I have return
    Years
  • Oh for me would be 1.think of a storyline 2.map with default tiles 3.replace tiles to meet my needs 4. learn things i"m not good at.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • Think of what I'm going to do.
    Open my rom in A-map.
    Insert tiles.
    Map.
    Sprite.
    Insert sprites.
    Script.
    Play.
    Change things.
    Play.
    Change more things.
    Play.
    Release a beta.

Sadly I'm still not past sprite -_-

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I'm working on my first hack right now... and the first thing that I did was make new tiles. the world map is the first thing that i will insert into the ROM, however...

jota_rdk

Spanish hacker [Javi4315]
    Years
  • hey. the first that I do is make the first map or inserting tiles.
    Also, logically, before starting to working in the hack, I write story.

Greetings!

smellybellysrock

Legend Of Band Camp: You ready
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I usually:

1. Plan the story
    2. Decide theme (Spooky, happy, winter-y)
    3. Insert the overworlds. (I absolutely HATE the current overworlds Pokemon uses, so I like to take custom ones or something and play with those.)
    4. Insert a few sprites
    5. Change the professor script
    5.5. Change professor intro
    6. take some time to decide if I like it or not
    7. Make a region map
    8. Make a few simple maps like starter town, homes, etc.
    9. Really ask myself if I want to keep it.
    10. Make a thread.

Art Murder

Demi
    Years
  • I'm new to the hacking scene. I personally started by making new starters. I don't do big things all at once, so I will likely go back and forth between mapping and spriting. I'll come up with the plot before I do all that, so I guess that's where I begin?

E-114

Skylight
    Years
  • I do overworld sprites for some reason. Once you get those out of the way, you can start the fun stuff.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I don't just make hacks for fun. I envision it. The storyline, how it would look if it was an anime, and what the characters are like. Then when I hack, I first map an area, I usually redo it until it looks right, then I change the sprites and place them around equally. Then of course comes the warps and signs. After all of the exterior and interior places are done, I edit the text. When scripting is needed or there's something I need help with, I send it to my team for help and suggestions.

Back