• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
  • It can't be west of Johto they have already said it is far away. And just because New York doesn't have a desert doesn't mean it isn't new York. I'm sure where Hoenn is based on doesn't have a hidden City with the only entrance being under water.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    It can't be west of Johto they have already said it is far away. And just because New York doesn't have a desert doesn't mean it isn't new York. I'm sure where Hoenn is based on doesn't have a hidden City with the only entrance being under water.
    Yes it does. Sootopolis is based off a real place. It is high up, not to the degree Sootopolis, but still. It's a game and they can take liberties with degrees. If they base it off an area, then it only makes sense to, I don't know, have the final result look somewhat like what it was off of.

Would it make sense to make a region, say it was based on the Southernmost tip of Antarctica, but have the region be mountainous grassland, not resembling Antarctica at all?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Yes it does. Sootopolis is based off a real place. It is high up, not like Sootopolis, but still. It's game and they can take liberties with degrees. If they base it off an area, then it only makes sense to, I don't know, have the final result look somewhat like what it was off of.

Would it make sense to make a region, say it was based on the Southernmost tip of Antarctica, but have the region be mountainous grassland, not resembling Antarctica at all?
    You read my post wrong. There is not a place in Kyushu like Sootopolis it came from Santorini Greece. So they can just edit the New York map and slap a Desert from somewhere else and put it there.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    You read my post wrong. There is not a place in Kyushu like Sootopolis it came from Santorini Greece. So they can just edit the New York map and slap a Desert from somewhere else and put it there.
    No. Have you looked at a map of Kyushu? It's an island called Yakushima. It does exist, and it is part of Japan.

The culture may have come from Greece; the geography didn't.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • They Had to find a place to put it so it mostly came from Greece. Now they can find a place to put the desert on New York ( If it is New York) and just place it there case closed.

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    It really doesnt matter to me as long as the storyline is good and that Its not going to have to compete with 3rd Gen for the failest game.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Antarctica doesnt have a southernmost tip. its ALL south o.O

i dont think its necessary to be speculating about this, seeing as no other region is confirmed to be based an anythwhere

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    its not new york, but you guys arguing over it is entertaining
    its still in japan
    there is a good reason its not in America its because of a little event back in the 40's that japan doesn't like us all to well you may know what I'm talking about
    some of you guys are stubborn to the point of idiocy, but I do admire you dedication

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • its not new york, but you guys arguing over it is entertaining
    its still in japan
    there is a good reason its not in America its because of a little event back in the 40's that japan doesn't like us all to well you may know what I'm talking about
    some of you guys are stubborn to the point of idiocy, but I do admire you dedication
    That was like 70 years ago. And you have no proof it isn't New York and you have no proof that it is still in Japan. Like many have tried to tell you the new region is far away from the others (Which are in Japan) The new Region starts with route 1 (Which Japan already has) It is not in Japan.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • lol NO 2

ok yes in our mind set thats not a far distance chugoku to any other region, but look they released this to the people of japan and said its far away ,to America far away is much different as one of our regions(states) would equal all of japans or close to all of them. with that in mind far away to the US could be any where but the information regarding the regions whereabouts was not released to the US it was released to japan it may have features that are similar to other parts of the world such as the bridges
    features of other regions didn't come from japan either so please understand im not calling you a lair so don't be so upset over it you could be right but i doubt it im going to stick with the facts and say its Hiroshima/chugoku you stick with your opinion of where ever you think it is.

First of all... what? Also, what facts?

Um, since people who would play the game in Japan might actually live in Hiroshima or near it, they wouldn't consider their own city far away.

Now, don't take the "very far away" too seriously. That's only in the context of the Pokemon regions. That's been interpreted to mean that Isshu is based off a foreign (out of Japan) place. Considering the fact that they started over at "Route 1" and not "Route 31251235", it's more likely that Isshu is India than Hiroshima.

Yes, features of other regions didn't come from Japan, but the outlines are going to be there. Major cities and features usually make it in. Besides, foreign things that were added to regions were mostly small. Likewise, the ports in Hiun city might have come from Hiroshima, but the city is based off somewhere else, as is the region.

ChrisTom said:
    This is dumb. I'm sorry, but there is no possible, conceivable way that Isshu is based off of Manhattan. Really. Does New York have a desert? Mountains? Forests? Theme Parks? CLEAN DRINKING WATER?? No, of course not. You guys are hoping for something that isn't true. I think that Isshu is to the west of Johto, but turned at an angle of 90 degrees (Does Hoenn sound familiar?). Or it could possible be the area of Ube City, which looks strikingly like Hiun. This means that if you went down from the docks of Hiun City, and kept going long enough, you would end up near Fallarbor Town. So if we compared it to Japan, Hiun City would either by Ube City, Onoda Port, or somewhere near the world famous Kawatana Hot Springs.

More evidence that Isshu is based off of the Ube City area is that the characters are dressed in hiphop/urban styles, which is very popular there.

Anyways, I just know that it WON'T be New York. The Pokemon Games are about Satoshi Tajiri's childhood in Japan. Not about fans playing the games in New York...

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Actually, New York City does have theme parks. New York state (and New Jersey) has mountains and forests, granted they are no where near NYC.

Isshu can't be New York because of the desert? So there's a desert smack dab in the middle of Kyushu, too, huh? There isn't one near Ube, either. Besides, Isshu's three peninsulas look nothing like Chugoku, the region where Ube is located. You've contradicted yourself by saying that Hoenn is Kyushu flipped 90 degrees while Isshu looks nothing like Chugoku. No, Isshu isn't New York or Shanghai or whatever, but it can be based on either.

Hiphop/urban styles in Isshu? Where is this? Besides, urban street wear and culture is popular in most big cities.

Yeah, it could be to the west of Johto... China is pretty west, isn't it? New York even farther. The games have evolved beyond Satoshi Tajiri's childhood in Japan and become a franchise, you know. Besides, Tajiri grew up in Tokyo, not Ube, Yamaguchi.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    well just out of curiosity how many people in this thread can speak basic Japanese without a translation tool of some sort. because I barely can and it has helped me find the answer to where issue is not that you will believe me. but its not that difficult to find out i have free long distance. it took all of about ten minutes to get the information to contact them
    they will tell you a lot of things if just ask ,but hey guess you will just have to wait and find out im telling the truth as this thread is pointless and going to stop posting and it doesn't matter any way as the location DOES NOT affect game play

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • This thread isn't pointless you are. You always come in here starting crap. And it is Isshu not Issue.

Years
  • they will tell you a lot of things if just ask ,but hey guess you will just have to wait and find out im telling the truth as this thread is pointless and going to stop posting and it doesn't matter any way as the location DOES NOT affect game play
    How is this thread pointless? It's just fun little fan speculation like every other thread in the BW forum. Is this whole section of the forum pointless? We can't have theories about where the region is based off of?

And I seriously doubt that any of these theories will be proven, the orange man put it best when he stated that Isshu is technically not any of these places, just Isshu.

The Pokemon Games are about Satoshi Tajiri's childhood in Japan. Not about fans playing the games in New York...

You do realize that Tajiri hardly has even done anything since Gen 2, right? Plus, that was only the beginning concept for the original games. Pokemon is its own thing.

And lol at Isshu not being Manhattan because of the desert.

Last edited:

KingBBB12

ǝɹǝɥ pıp ı ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs noʎ
    Years
  • I wanna say it's New York, not only because of the location similarities, but also of the new female heroin.

Some of her clothing reminds me of New York, except her boots.
    Her denim shorts,her white tank top, her sleeveless vest ,and even her baseball cap. If it was a Yankee/Mets cap it would fit perfectly!

You can even see girls dress like this in the West Coast.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I have proof where Isshu is:

The POKéMON world.

So we really won't know? That's unfair :( But how do people know, for sure, fact, that the other 4 Regions are where people say they are?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Compare them to Japan. The Pokemon World has to be based on something the only freaking difference is the Pokemon instead of the animals.

shadowcharmander

Pokemon Hero
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2010
    Okay, here's a comparison:

Spoiler:

How exactly can someone say Shanghai?

Also, I had trouble just trying to find the exact area of Shanghai I even had to screenshot, because it looked nothing like Isshu. I had to look up other screenshots people posted to find the exact area to screenshot. Seriously.

It does look more like new york rather than shanghai. Plus it said that it was verry far away from the other reigions that were based on Japan.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Compare them to Japan. The Pokemon World has to be based on something the only freaking difference is the Pokemon instead of the animals.

Sorry but it's insanely ignorant to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Really this thread is just gonna be more arguing because it's something we'll never know. Maybe everyone should just let it sink and start wondering something that (a) matters and (b) can be proved correct.

To quote Bluerang1 a bit.

This is The POKéMON World. A world of Fiction created in the mind of a brilliant team of writers and designers. It's based on their imagination.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You do know that there was a region based on Arizona (and specifically a city based on Phoenix, Arizona), a state in America.

That is still no reason to call people "idiots" just because they don't hold the same opinion you do.

I personally believe that Isshu has the look of NYC and the geography of the whole United States. Once I see actual canon proof from the creators about where the region is based, that's the opinion I'll hold.

SwiftSign said:
    A world of Fiction created in the mind of a brilliant team of writers and designers. It's based on their imagination.
    That's true. But most, if not all, of the regions have some small (or even large) basing in parts of Japan. Besides, it's fun to speculate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back