• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Anti-virus?

Which Anti-virus?

• McAfee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kapersky

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Norton

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • BitDefender

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NOD32

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Avast

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials)

• Avira

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    Tried Clamwin once... it was worse than AVG, in my opinion.

So, what makes Kaspersky so good? Like, how does it top the others? I just wanna know cuz I don't want any viruses on my new PC.

It doesn't take away noticeably from the computer's performance like Norton does, but still prevents infection, and heals existing infections, like a top-tier AV suite should.

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
    i do get spyware i scan her weekly at the most i have like 20 spyware no trojans or anything also i have avg i know its crp but you gotta have something and i have malware bytes thats it i do like panda antivirus

Zet

Years
    Used to use AVG until it started failing. I use Avast! now. It's pretty good. I've been hearing good things about a "Clamwin" as well, though I haven't tried it myself.

Also, remember that merely using an Antivirus won't ensure full protection. Be sure to include some sort of anti-malware program to complement it. I recommend Spybot S&D, though there are other good ones, for example, Malware Bytes.

Also, I don't trust anything made by Microsoft, but that's just me.
    MSE is like one of the only good thing besides Windows, Microsoft has ever made.

Years
    I use Avira and recommend it, Avast, Kaspersky and Nod32. Haven't tried MSE.

And as much as I love to hate Norton, 2010 isn't too bad. I couldn't use or recommend it with a good conscience, but it's come a long way.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    So, what makes Kaspersky so good? Like, how does it top the others? I just wanna know cuz I don't want any viruses on my new PC.
    Detection rate, though NOD32 is better. NOD32 and Kaspersky have the best detection rate and the fewest false positives/false negatives. NOD32 is an especially great piece of software; it's also not very resource intensive. Problem is, both cost money. MSE is free and almost as good.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I've never used Kaspersky or NOD32. Don't know much about them.

im not encouraging any1 to do anything im saying that i dont need any of these anyways your xp doesnt last a year mine does (though luck for you) im a download addict and i dont get any virusez XD.

You do need it, and you're doing it again!
    Which Anti-virus?

Just because you think you don't need it doesn't mean you can walk around telling people to do horribly stupid things like going on a downloading spree without an antivirus.

AaronOnPokemon

"So the story continues!"
    Years
    Why isn't AVG on the poll like. In my opinion it is the best security for me anyway. It doesn't slow down your computer and it has internet security, which is really good.

Also it doesn't delete codes if it thinks it is a threat, like Norton!

Years
    Why isn't AVG on the poll like. In my opinion it is the best security for me anyway. It doesn't slow down your computer and it has internet security, which is really good.

Um... well... AVG kinda sucks compared to most of the options already up. Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, and Avast! are all free ones that are better than AVG, and Kaspersky is not nearly as system stopping as Norton yet has a more reliable detection rate as it has far fewer false positives while still being very close in total detection rate.

Years
    Um... well... AVG kinda sucks compared to most of the options already up. Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, and Avast! are all free ones that are better than AVG, and Kaspersky is not nearly as system stopping as Norton yet has a more reliable detection rate as it has far fewer false positives while still being very close in total detection rate.

It's worth mentioning that Avira is paranoid on the highest settings, and has quite a few false positives, but I know what to look out for, so it's not really an issue for me.

Zet

Years

AVG isn't up there because people who are computer illiterate could make a better anti-virus.

twocows

Years
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that you should really avoid Clamwin. It has a pathetic detection rate.
    As far as I know, Clamwin is the only anti-virus you can run without installing, which makes it extremely useful for doing support.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 22, 2013
    I'm using Avira, and I haven't gotten any viruses so I'm quite pleased. Though I never really go downloading random things, and I have all kinds of security add-ons on Firefox. xD

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
    I've used Avast for quite some time now. For a free anti-virus, it gets the job done extremely well. And there's one thing that it does that others don't, and that's self protection. Essentially all the key files for Avast are contained in the quarantine chest, meaning that the core files to Avast cannot be attacked by a virus, and Avast cannot attack itself.

I've had this problem with Norton many times, and essentially it's like your computer has gotten AIDS (anti-virus is your immune system, virus attacks your immune system, your immune system then is either killed off completely or becomes function-less).

And I agree with you Zet, MSE is one of the best things Micro$oft has ever made.

Also, the best anti-virus is yourself. Learn to periodically check your system processes for anything that seems strange or out of the ordinary (such as a considerably high memory and/or CPU usage, but that doesn't make it entirely bad. If you're unsure of what it is, don't remove it, and let someone more qualified and who would know what it is remove it. Unless of course you have tonnes of money and to you, buying a new computer is like buying a pack of gum.)

Years
    As far as I know, Clamwin is the only anti-virus you can run without installing, which makes it extremely useful for doing support.
    The pathetic detection rate makes it pointless. If you're doing support, rip it out and run the scan from another machine. That's what we do at work. Have an extremely secure computer that you can use to do cleanups.

And several companies have LiveCD scanners, but they only detect certain viruses, so it's a bit like Clamwin, lol.

twocows

Years
    The pathetic detection rate makes it pointless. If you're doing support, rip it out and run the scan from another machine. That's what we do at work. Have an extremely secure computer that you can use to do cleanups.

And several companies have LiveCD scanners, but they only detect certain viruses, so it's a bit like Clamwin, lol.
    It's easier to run a Clamwin scan first. If it doesn't find anything, then I might try what you suggested.

Last edited:
    Back