• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which characters will get the names "Black" and "White"?

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
  • As you might know, PokéSpe/Adventures always gives the first version's name to the male player character and the second version's name to the rival; Red, Gold, Ruby, and Diamond were given to the generation's male PC, while Blue, Silver, Sapphire, and Pearl were given to the generation's rival.

However, with two player characters and two (possibly three) rivals, at least one character has to be given their game name. Here are the possibilities:

1. Male PC gets black, Bel gets White, female PC gets third version, Cheren keeps game name (similar to gen II and gen IV, as well as gen I in Japan retroactively; however, gen II did not have a female PC until the third version)
    2. Male PC gets Black, female PC gets White, OC gets third version, rivals keep game names (similar to gen III)
    3. Cheren gets Black, Bel gets White, OC gets third version, PCs keep game names (highly unlikely)

Before posting on why 3 would be a conflict, note that all games to feature the unchosen PC as an NPC did NOT use the version names.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I think that the rival's are going to keep there names,and the boy is going to be Black and the girl is going to be White.
    thats just my opinion.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Cheren = Black in Bulgarian
    Bel = White in Russian

So they should keep their names. PCs get Black and White. Oh, as for the third Game name... No idea.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    I think that PC girl is Black, PC boy is White and Cheren and Bell keep their names. In Japanese folklore the yin (black) is feminine and yang (white) is masculine. Also, as far as I could tell, nintendo hasn't yet gone out of your way to tell you your rival's name.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Seeing as the male PC is wearing black and the female PC is wearing white, why can't they have Black and White respectively? Then again, Crotchram is white and he's in Black while Zekrom is black but he's in White and

FromGalifrey said:
    In Japanese folklore the yin (black) is feminine and yang (white) is masculine.

I'm hoping/assuming Cheren and Bel keep their names.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    They've stopped naming their characters after version names in 2002. Sure, we've seen screenshots where the male player's name is Black, but there were plenty of screenshots for R/S and D/P suggesting their names are Ruby, Diamond, etc., but once the games came out, we found out that none of their names in either language was a version name.

I seriously doubt that the final names of the 5th Gen characters will be Black and White, because the final names of the 3rd Gen characters weren't Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (it was Brendan, May, and Wally), and the final names of the 4th Gen characters weren't Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (it was Lucas, Dawn, and Barry). They even renamed Gold from Gen II to Ethan. Screenshots of HG/SS said that the male* player's name was Soul, but it ended up being Hibiki in Japanese.

I bolded the word male, because for some reason lots of people thought the female in HG/SS was called Soul back in 09, even though screenshots said the male's name was Souru (Soul).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • They've stopped naming their characters after version names in 2002. Sure, we've seen screenshots where the male player's name is Black, but there were plenty of screenshots for R/S and D/P suggesting their names are Ruby, Diamond, etc., but once the games came out, we found out that none of their names in either language was a version name.

I seriously doubt that the final names of the 5th Gen characters will be Black and White, because the final names of the 3rd Gen characters weren't Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald (it was Brendan, May, and Wally), and the final names of the 4th Gen characters weren't Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (it was Lucas, Dawn, and Barry). They even renamed Gold from Gen II to Ethan. Screenshots of HG/SS said that the male* player's name was Soul, but it ended up being Hibiki in Japanese.

I bolded the word male, because for some reason lots of people thought the female in HG/SS was called Soul back in 09, even though screenshots said the male's name was Souru (Soul).
    Well actually we are talking about th Pokemon Special manga names not the names of the Characters :).

Zet

Years
  • They've stopped naming their characters after version names in 2002. Sure, we've seen screenshots where the male player's name is Black, but there were plenty of screenshots for R/S and D/P suggesting their names are Ruby, Diamond, etc., but once the games came out, we found out that none of their names in either language was a version name.

Clearly someone hasn't read the pokespe manga :P

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Well, the male has a black PokeBall on his cap while the female has a white one...
    Proved already ! ~
    Anyways, I'd go for the first one, as it seems the easiest for me. Plus, I see no reason for Nintendo to complicate themselves with the names, that's one of the easiest parts in a [Pokemon] game. :\

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Judging by their hats I'd say the male is Black and the female will be White.

SuperLink

Lost focus when she dissed me!
    Years
  • In gens 1, 2 and 4, the rival got the second version, and the female got the third version.

However in Gen 3, the female got the second version. Just because the other arcs are structured in a certain way, doesn't mean all of them will be. Just think about it, Gen5 is shaking up the games as we know them quite a lot, so is it so farfetch'd that the manga might do something different too?

I personally think that we'll get:
    Male - Black
    Female - White
    Rivals: Belle and Cheren

There may be an original character like Emerald or Yellow who will take the name of the third version, or it could be the sirname of Belle/Cheren, or maybe even the real name of N.

There are tons of possibilities. However assuming the third version character will definitely be a Pokédex holder, and Belle and Cheren are both Pokédex owners in the games (which is something I doubt the manga would just ignore), then we could end up with 4 or 5 Pokédex holders in the B/W manga.

It's going to be very interesting, that's for sure.

Scorpio219

PM me for custom banners
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2013
    i'll bet that a black man gets black since there are black people now and a blond girl gets white, i see white like the diamond pearl adventures where white is rich and black from the streets gets paid to guard her then they fall in love like the interratial stareo types

Chocos0

Eclipse the Umbreon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2012
    Most people believe that the boy is Black (no racism) And the girl is White.
    And probably (Another boy? Or a twist with 2 girls in this version of the comic)
    Gray will be a girl? Probably though.

Back