• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which grass type is useful for HGSS?

Which grass type should I get in Soul Silver?

• Tangela>Tangrowth

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Oddish>Gloom>Vileplume

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Exeggcute>Exeggutor

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Bellsprout>Weepinbell>Victreebel

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Paras>Parasect

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    Which one, and if you can say so, why?

Tangela>Tangrowth
    Oddish>Gloom>Vileplume
    Exeggcute>Exeggutor
    Bellsprout>Weepinbell>Victreebel
    Paras>Parasect

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
  • I've got Parasect. Always wanted to train one, but always had something better in hand, this time I tried and I'm pretty happy with mine ^^

Anyway, why don't you consider Bellossom insted of Vileplume? Once I used one for my in-game run, and it was pretty useful as a statuser/cleric.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Not very many of them are all that great in-game. I would suggest Chikorita - it's usable, yet still challenging to train and battle with - but it's not in your poll. I'd have to go with Victreebel, as it does have rather decent stats and a good movepool, with several offensive and (especially) defensive options.

On the other hand, if you're not much of a Grass-type fan, it's not really necessary to use them. Water-types are easily taken care of with Electric-type attacks, and Rock and Ground types are easily destroyed with Surf most of the time.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Tangrowth is good with a few TMs I found, Exeggutor was very useful as a Sunny Day/Solar Beam/Psychic user once it finally got those moves but was annoying to train before then, Victreebel was pretty useful overall and Parasect was useful with Spore (and Effect Spore) as well but less so with attacking due to a lack of speed (but a Quick Claw helped every so often). Not going to comment of the Oddish line as I did not use it in my grass monotype run, but Meganium is useful, and the Hoppip line is a good annoyer with the likes of Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Leech Seed and U-turn...

BTW I'll keep this topic but more as a 'opinions on grass types in HGSS' discussion as opposed to specific team help - if you want that I suggest using the In-game Team Help section as that is where such threads ought to go.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • I like Victreebel's versatility as either a special or physical attacker. Like all other grass types, it can do things like paralyze and poison opponents but it does have a weak point and that's the fact that it doesn't learn many good attacks leveling up. Even with that said, I would still pick Victreebel.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Victreebel is pretty good if you have the TM's for it. And if you are starting over you should get Chikorita. Once its fully evolved it is a very good special tank.

PhantasyFight

Trainer Phant
    Years
  • Victreebel. Its quite useful when you have the right TM's. Also I think Chikorita is quite good but challenging at the same time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Tangela/Tangrowth are the best Grass Pokemon to use in HG/SS, IMO because Tangrowth has a better movepool compared to its fellow Grass Pokemon obtainable within the game. It even has AncientPower, Rock Slide and Earthquake to deal with Fire Pokemon.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Honestly, the only one in the poll that comes close to being liked by me is vileplume, just because it is sturdy. I've used meganium, bellossom, and jumpluff, and they work out rather well due to a useful movepool.

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    THANKS, ALL OF YOU! I think I'm going with Oddish and will decide its final form later. Again, thanks!

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    A Grass Type in Johto is more a curse then it is a blessing. Being resisted and beaten by the 1st and 2nd Gyms. They prove some worth on the 3rd Gym but then resisted on the 4th. The 5th Gym has a Water Type and most Grass Types are part Poison so thats the BEST place they shine. Then they suck again at the 6th and 7th Gym, though they can do some damage to the 6th Gym's Steelix. The 8th Gym is the neutral, being hit by Dragonair's Fire Blast isn't to welcoming BUT it does resist STAB Hydro Pump from Kindra.

Then the E4 has Bug, Flying, Poison, Fire and Pokemon with the said moves to boot. The only time the would do ANYTHING is on Slowbro and on Onix, though they could be some good fodder on Lance (regard the E4 comment if you use Jumpluff, because it trolls the E4 completely)

It gets better at Kanto resisting Lt.Surges STABs but sucks at Sabrina (if it has a Poison secondary type, if not its Neutral) Janine will make you bite the dust, Blaine to. Though it has superior typing against Misty and Brock. Erika resists you, but can't do that much to you either. Green/Blue (forgot the name) overkills you with EVERYTHING bar Rhydon.

Red has Blizzard abuse so a Grass type is only useful against Pikachu. And could be useful against his Blastoise and Lapras if you work around the Hail.

Grass types arn't usefull at all but if you WANTED to use one, use Vileplume, Jumpluff or Meganium.

Vileplume gets Grass, Poison, Fighting coverage, Jumpluff has Status abuse and Meganium is a complete wall even more so with Screen support.

Back