• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Gym Leaders did you hate?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Morty always gave me problems in Gold. His Gengar's Hypnosis attacks hit 90% of the time it seemed, and any damage that I could give to it would just vanish from Dream Eater.
Spr_2c_094.gif

JawDane

Here for the Nostalgia
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
On Pokémon Yellow I hated Brock. Getting caterpie to level 10 for butterfree for confusion was such a chore each playthrough.

Years
In Red, I had a lot of difficulties with Misty. Sabrina was tough too.

And in Gold/Silver I had problems with Whitney, Morty, and Clair. I even forgot about my Plain Bagde (Whitney starts crying after losing) and I didn't take it until a few days after beating her. I hated Clair the most because she refused to give the badge until I found the Dragon Fang.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
Claire from Blackthorn in Jhoto.

To be the highest ranking gym leader and be the least professional.

That's not setting a good example.

Berzerk!

Hey, c'mon! Get serious!
Years
hmm... Jasmine... Urg sometimes I destroy her, othertimes she just utterly destroys me...

I could also include Whitney, not because of her Mi...ii..ltank... but her fit at the end of the battle... she's a gym leader, does she do that EVERYTIME? (yes, she does, to everyone...)

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2024
I really detest Whitney... Normal are annoying already (when based around attract as the go-to move) plus the tantrum at the end just adds to it.

Nocte Aeterna

The Evening Judge
Years
Whitney goes without saying. That Miltank is not of this universe. There's no possible way it can be anything other than such.

I've always had varying issues with Koga and Sabrina in Gen I. The rest of the leaders weren't so difficult.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Brock in Yellow, because at the age I was playing that I didn't realise I could catch a Mankey on Route 22 and make life easy for myself :/
Misty's Starmie mostly because it's a massive jump up from Brock.
Lt. Surge only because I needed a Cutter to get to him, same with Erika..
Sabrina - OMFG Stupid Psychic with no weaknesses in Gen1.

then Giovanni, merely because of the fact that after all of it, he's ridiculously easy to beat. At least GSC made it a challenge to get the 8th badge.

and need I mention Whitney's Miltank? Uber frustrating because at a young age, even with a guide book, I didn't realise I could get a Machop in Goldenrod Dept. store.........

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Get a female starter and Whitney isn't much trouble at all. Rollout + Milk Drink was still slightly annoying.

I didn't like Misty in the games.. Her Starmie can give you a hard time if you got Charmander (in FR/LG.)

Erika's personality made me want to smack her up so badly.

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
My first thought was Whitney but after thinking it over, I realized I don't hate her but just that Miltank of hers. The gym leader I hate most is Clair because she's a sore loser and makes you go on a really pointless side quest before she'll give you the badge.

Years
Blain, because once while doing the Missingno glitch way back in the day on my Red Version. While surfing on the east coast of Cinnebar, suddenly the screen goes black for a long time. I'm all, "Alright, about time you show up Missingo!" (I was little, impatient, and didn't know how to say it's name properly.) Suddenly when the screen turns back on who's there? Not Missingno, but instead it was Blain. The text read, Wild Blain wants to Battle!" Then to my surprise he sends out "sdluaygfbsldiu" or something along those lines, and what was it? It was the skeleton Kabutops found in the Pewter City Museum. It goes about using it's move titled "dgfasliugfblva" or whatever and bam! My game freezes.
Not much of a legit reason to be hating on Blain, but he's not too cool in general either.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Whitney, omg. I could never get past her Miltank. And then of course the fit she throws after. Definitely hated her :p

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
In Gen 1, Brock in Yellow because it's such a hassle to either try winning with Pikachu, train a Caterpie to Lv. 10 and spam Confusion until you win, or catch a Mankey, which I never realized I could do.

Misty's Starmie is really annoying, but she's overall not that bad, unlike a certain gym leader I haven't mentioned yet that I think we all know about.

Sabrina and Psychic types that pretty much have no weakness in Gen 1, they're really annoying.

Clair has that annoying Kingdra, but it's not as bad as Juan's in Emerald. We all know the one. Even after that, she's such a sore loser and refuses to give you a badge, but in Crystal, if you play your cards right, you can get a free Extremespeed Dratini.

Then, there's her. Whitney, the scourge of just about every Gen 2 player's childhood. Well, not Wintney as a person, but her evil cow of death, Miltank. I don't think I need to say any more since all the other posts speak for me about that demon cow.

ShinySandslash

Shiny Sandslash
Years
Picked Charmander in Pokemon Red, WORST CHOICE EVER, especially for Brock and Misty.
Picked Cyndaquil in Pokemon Gold, WHY DOES MILKTANK HAVE TO KNOW ROLLOUT???

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
RBY, I never really had trouble with any of the leaders. Always a decent amount of type-advantageous Pokémon available before the leaders, but GSC, like everyone else, I had trouble with Whitney. That damn Miltank made me throw my Game Boy more times than I could count. I can't tell you how many days I spent grinding on Route 34/35 trying to beat her...

Back