• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Which Gym Leaders did you hate?

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
In yellow, I can remember Sabrina being a bit of a pain. Psychic types were almost indestructible back then if you weren't thoroughly prepared with a solid team. Of course being the kid I was, I can remember getting frustrated and having to teleport my way through the gym to get to her again (which seems like it takes forever. This does not nearly compare to the the first gym leader Brock, though. It is (or was) very difficult to beat his Onix with a Flying type, bug type and a Pikachu that doesn't even listen (smh).

As for Gen 2, almost everyone seems to say Whitney was the worst. I'm not going to lie; I took her out in one attempt. I just don't see why some thought she was so hard. I guess if your starter was Cyndaquil it would be tricky. I thought the worst was either Morty or Jasmine. I'm not sure why, but I remember them worrying me that I might loose. I guess they have fairly solid pokes (no pun on Jasmine intended :P).

All of this said, there isn't a gym leader I've encountered so far that I hate... knock on wood.

Skull Kid

The One and Only
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Gen I: I had more issues with the Elite Four than the Gym Leaders, but if I had to choose the hardest for me it would be Blaine. I'm not even sure why to be honest, I just get extremely unlucky fighting him. My water types never seemed to kill, and I'd be constantly healing away his burn hax.

Gen II: Clair, her Kingdra is something else. It was usually because I would get unlucky misses from her smokescreen spam all the time. I never really had a specific pokemon that could beat it easily either. It was always a team effort that ended in failure most of the time.

Years
I have no hatred against any of the RBY Gym leaders, but in GSC, boy did I have a hatred forWhitney.. she was definitely one of the most tough gym leaders in those games, and all because of her Miltank + Rollout. I remember one time training a Pokémon to get as much as 5 levels above her Miltank, and it still fainted.

At least in HGSS, Game Freak didn't make Whitney as difficult of a trainer. I guess they got that many complaints about her. xD

Years
In Yellow, the most troublesome was actually Brock because well.. I don't think there were any types that you could catch that were supper-effective against rock types
In Silver, I've hated Whitney and Clair because they were the most annoying to defeat..
Whitney with her troll Miltank and Clair with her dragon types.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Kanto: I disliked Misty since I always had problems with her Starmie since I often used Charmander or Squirtle as my starters.

Johto: I really disliked Whitney. Her Miltank where a real pain! It was almost unbeatable.

Years
Clair not just because of her Kingdra is an Nightmare to beat, she makes you take a test before she will give a bagde.

I agree. I can't stand Clair. For those reasons, but also because she considers herself the "best dragon trainer"...I'm like, "hullo? what about Lance?"

Also because when I beat her, she says she still doesn't think I am good enough for the Elite 4...even after she said, "I can even hold my own against the Elite 4."

I really want to smack Clair. XD

Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2016
Everybody hates Whitney. She would cry just now...

I hated Morty more, his Gengar's hypnosis is a pain in the butt.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Whitney... and her Miltank, I always assumed normal type sucke dbut damn I was wrong when I got that gym

Years
To me; Falkner was a pushover with any starter, bugsy was the same, Whitney was difficult because my time usually never has a fighting type by that point, Morty easy, chuck could be difficult, jasmine easy peasy, pryce easy and Clair is always incredibly hard. So basically I can't stand Whitney or Clair and chuck is a bit meh.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
Whitney. I hate that miltank.

I also don't like Claire, because even though her fight was surprisingly easy, her entire attitude after you beat her is annoying and unprofessional.

Gogofreak

Touhou and Pokemon Fanatic
Years
I chose Chikorita for my starter in Crystal. Bugsy's Gym Killed me multiple times. I then made a new game and chose Cyndaquil instead. I managed to have an easier time with Whitney's Miltank than Bugsy's Scyther!

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
Whitney no doubt, that overpowered miltank with flinch hax stomp strategy is just so cheap. That's the only reason why my team carries a female geodude.

CJBlazer

Rogon, the Ninja Pokemon
Years
I hated Falkner, not for his battle strategy though. He has that premature Pidgeotto and I am always like "Whoa dude. Your Pidgeotto's at level 12. Its not supposed to have evolved yet."

Though when it comes to difficulty, Janine takes the cake. (If Kanto leaders count). If Johto counts, it would be Claire.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
Sabrina in Pokemon Yellow. THREE level 50 Pokemon at the fifth/sixth gym? That has never happened since because it's ridiculous.

ErikaInRainbowCity

Everyday I'm Tumblin'
Years
I actually never had a problem with Whitney's Miltank, my starter was always overleveled hehe ^_^' i think i'm the only one though.

I never liked Clair much because she made you go into that stupid cave after you beat her

Years
in b4 Whitney? I still say Whitney. Combination of stomp, attract, rollout, and milk drink... Game Freak surely nailed it on that one.

Back