• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Which new tools would you like to have in rom hacking?

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2014
    Good evening everyone,

I'd like to ask you which new tools you'd like to have programmed in the future. As you might know, I'm a quite good C/C++/Java coder, so even if you need some cross-platform tools, I can help out with that! In the next couple of weeks I have more free-time, because I'm on holiday! =) So don't hesitate to suggest/ask =D

Best regards, ac3s

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • With touched's new contribution to hacking here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8431419&postcount=590

It'd be nice if there was a tool that could not only repoint the tables, but allow you to customize the moves a little bit easier. This features allows an endless amount of field moves like Sweet Scent and how it attracts wild pokemon ... well now you can add other moves and have them do stuff.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2014
    I try to understand all the stuff there first, then I can code that tool x) If someone else needs that kind of tool too, just tell me. Process may go faster this way =D

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • Tool that can easily implement asm to le game. I don't really know what I'm talking about or if there's already one. But for me who sucks at that, would like one :)

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I would like to see an expanded version of the somewhat older Misc. Editor tool. One that would completely alter the hexes for evolution without adding the National Dex (stone evolutions are untouched, it's long been figured out), and put in small things like B/W repel system, unlimited TMs, and Trainer Facing Fix onto FireRed.

It isn't absolutely needed (you can implement them all with a hex editor), but it would be nice to have. Also, I second the move customizer.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Maybe a tool like A-Text but better...

What you can do with A-Text you can do with a hex editor. Just download Text Hex decoder, and look through the ROM, lol. If anything needs to be repointed, then repoint it XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2015
    Something for editing trainer designs or scripting new fate encounters would be great.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • A type editor would be cool (for Fired Red etc). Being able to edit types, add new images, add as many new types as you want, etc.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • I would love something that allows you to be able to resize the overworld tables. I cant get it to save my life and that would be super cool to have automated. And I also agree that the misc. editor should be updated, and one that can edit the world maps actual image and not just the data.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just thought of something. A Pokeball Editor would be nice if even possible.

Edit existing balls' attributes.
    Add new ones easier.
    Easily deal with throwing graphics.

Also a newer rendition of Pokecry. One that lets you use any quality file, does the directsound work, supports extended pokedexes/types, and lets you use any free offset to add cries (that can't be done). I know Sappy, Hex editors, etc. exist and all work well (works on first try actually), but it would just make it all more painless.

Last edited:

Phasesaber

Software Engineer turned Pokemon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    A type manager that could add and edit types and their strengths/weaknesses.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A Lunar Magic-type of tool would be all but impossible partially because Mario's a tiny bit less complicated in general, though "noobproof" tools for some tasks do exist. Going the split disassembly route of Sonic like what is attempting to be done is a much better future for hacking really, it offers more without a whole bunch of hacks using a template (for lack of a better term) with few hacks being actually unique.

Id love tools like advance map, advance starter, and all the other similar tools for Mac
    A-Map can be done with Wineskin, no problem. A lot of the smaller tools like A-Starter can be too, but are kind of outdated now (expanded pokedex) and the same thing can be done with XSE/a hex editor (plenty of hex editors are natively mac). Also Gen 3 Hacking Suite is cross platform.

MEH is doing just that as as A-Map's sucessor though, AFAIK it's going to be cross-platform like G3HS is.

Last edited:
    Back