• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which protagonist?

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    I usually play as the male because the girl hasn't had a good sprite since R/S. But now I'll probably get both and play as both.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well I picked the male protagonist in both versions for obvious reasons if I say so myself, that obvious reason being I'm a male myself. xD

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've always played as the male protagonist in Pokémon games. This generation is no different.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Obviously playing as Touko. Maybe in my second run, I'll play as the guy protagonist (I keep forgetting his name). But I might end up playing as Touko more since I really love her.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • I'll play the guy. Black was it? White's hair is just too freaky and i love Black's design.

The guy is Hilbert and the girl is Hilda.
    Those are the official names that Game Freak gave them.

I chose the girl because I don't like playing as a guy.
    I named her Hilda, the official name that Game Freak gave her.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • so far in my games i always use the female character tho in my english copy of black i might play as the male just because i like his design but probably not

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I chose to play as the male every time. Nothing against the female player character, but the male player character is quite possibly my favorite design out of all the player characters across the generations. So I pick him every time because I like the design. And now I also pick him every time because I can't picture playing the game as anyone else.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i like the chick, so she wins.

her hair probably adds a foot to her height...

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I'm playing as Hilda THE FEMALE PROTAGONIST. >__> I can't stand the default names in this generation as I've stated multiple times, but I love her design. :D Plus, I am a girl and it just feels awkward for me to play as a dude, so... yeah.

Last edited:

Hoohking

Warrior-Poet
    Years
  • I always play as my gender, as I find doing otherwise to be rather off-putting...
    But I definitely love the girl character this time around. Its refreshing to have a female trainer that doesn't dress like a puritan from the 17th century ;)

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I dislike the male's appearance, so I play as Touko (No, I will always refuse to acknowledge her English name.). I mean, seriously, they seem never to get the male right. What's up with that?

MeiChama

Spazztastic Fangirl~
    Years
  • I chose the male. :3 Reason being is because I wanted to name him after a character from YGO GX.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm going to play as both. I like to be mysterious. (Even though I'm a girl.)
    I don't like the protagonists English names, so I'll name myself... Akari (or Mistuki) in White. And Kohaku in Black.

Back