• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which R/B/G/Y Starter?

Which B/R/G/Y Starter Is Your Favorite?

• Charmander

Votes: 78 50.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Bulbasaur

Votes: 23 14.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    I personally always like Charmander and Bulbasaur. Those are perfect Pokemon Red starters.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Charmander's the one I always pick. There aren't many good fire pokémon in the old games (?what to replace Charizard with in that case?) and I sorta feel handicapped without one.
    But okej, Bulbasaur is the cutest and the smoothest one. Leech seed+poisonpowder+cute bulb, what more to say? :)

SilencedShooter

Revenga
    Years
    Charmander's the one I always pick. There aren't many good fire pokémon in the old games (?what to replace Charizard with in that case?) and I sorta feel handicapped without one.
    But okej, Bulbasaur is the cutest and the smoothest one. Leech seed+poisonpowder+cute bulb, what more to say? :)

Magmar, Rapidash, Arcanine, and Ninetails are pretty good fire pokemon.

Tony the Awesome

mi nombre es tony
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    I chose either Squirtle or Charmander.
    They the bomb.
    But sometimes,i choose Bulbasaur

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    ok heres the breakdown

charmander- hardest to start out with, charizard is weakest of the three
    squirtle- easy to start out with, my personal favorite, solid in the end
    bulbasaur- once you get him to lvl 14, its really easy to beat the first 2 gyms, venasaur is also good, but his big move solar beam is annoying to use sometime.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
    ok heres the breakdown

charmander- hardest to start out with, charizard is weakest of the three
    squirtle- easy to start out with, my personal favorite, solid in the end
    bulbasaur- once you get him to lvl 14, its really easy to beat the first 2 gyms, venasaur is also good, but his big move solar beam is annoying to use sometime.

Charizard isn't the weakest, Starting with a Charmander is harder yes, but most of us like a challenge, not something I could do in my sleep.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Magmar, Rapidash, Arcanine, and Ninetails are pretty good fire pokemon.

Well I've always thought Rapidash had strange stats, Arcanine isn't available until way into the game and I can't get Ninetales or Magmar in Yellow, which is what I played ^^ But in the long run, I guess you're right.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    You can buy a Vulpix in Yellow's Game Corner and evolve it with a Fire Stone.

Years
    i like squirtle the best water pokemon are the best by far i think anyway
    i like turtles aswell so that makes me make up my mind lol0ol

i like squirtle the best he is the best one i like turtles the most of all the animals in the world

i like squirtles the best they are the ebst one
    i like turtles the best out of all animals ever aswell so that helps me make up my mind when i am not too sure about it yknow its quite hard sometimes to make up your mind lol

i like turtles the best out of all animals ever aswell so that helps me make up my mind when i am not too sure about it yknow its quite hard sometimes to make up your mind lol

Last edited:

Yingxue

Since October 2003
    Years
    Bulbasaur is the one who takes the cake and stomps out the rest. Woot woot.

But I must say, Squirtle is cute.

i like squirtle the best water pokemon are the best by far i think anyway
    i like turtles aswell so that makes me make up my mind lol0ol

i like squirtle the best he is the best one i like turtles the most of all the animals in the world

What the heck was that supposed to be, prose?

Last edited:

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    I almost always chose Charmander, they're just awesome! lol.

Water Pokemon are my favorite but I don't know...I just didn't really like having Squirtle as my starter. I don't really like Grass Pokemon, so I almost never chose Bulbasaur.

ElliottKaito

Assassin's Creed <3
    Years
    Charamander! I like Bulbasaur- a lot, but y'know charamander is just a bit better. It's somewhat a pain to beat Brock with Charmander though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2010
    If you have Red ad Blue, ad you picked a Charmander in Red, trade a Bulbasaur from Blue for another Pokemon, and you have two starters, plus an edge against Brock. Beware, the traded starters get a little rebellious around levels 10-11.

Back