• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which saga or region of the anime did you like the best and why?

Which saga or region of the anime did you like the best and why?

• Kanto

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Johto

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Kanto Battle Frontier

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Unova

Votes: 9 6.9%

• Total voters

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
  • I voted Hoenn...

I didn't actually watch the anime until two years ago, and when I did, I marathoned the thing, right up to Season 14. Not a marathon in the strict sense, but it took only about two months to watch up to that section. (That's about ~650 episodes in ~60 days)

The first season was well made and had a very nice environment to it. It was what introduced everyone to the world of Pokemon, and Ash seemed to progress really quite well and he had a goal the entire time... It was a breath of fresh air I thought.

Season 2 was good, but not as good as the first. During the Orange Islands, new ideas were used, and the environment was new, some things seemed gimmicky but still good overall. I never really liked Tracey though

The entire Johto series (Seasons 3-6) started out fine, but then had the worst case of filler that I had ever seen, it got a bit better close to the beginning of Season 6, but then the worst arc ever happened, the Larvitar arc. It ended off strong though with a highly anticipated battle

Seasons 7 and 8 started out strong and stayed solid throughout, May was a welcome addition with her personality, the art style got better overall, and the contests were great. (Also, Drew). The biggest downside was May's annoying little brother tagging along, HI I'M MAX! Harley was also a bit creepy IMO.

Season 9 started off with the voice actor switch which really threw me for a loop, and since the voice actors were new, they were terrible, not in sync, and the first episode was a bummer as well. It was hard to keep watching, it eventually improved though and the series turned out to be merely average I thought.

Season 10 seemed like a rehash of the ideas used in Season 7-8, but they were executed differently in a different environment, it wasn't bad at all though. Paul ended up being badass.

Season 11 to 13 were more filler than 10 was, but not as bad as the Johto series ended up being, I wouldn't call them bad, merely average. The best thing about these seasons was probably Dawn and Paul.

Season 14 so far seems to have quite a few new ideas. Some of them executed well, others were ok, I can't say anything was particularly bad, but the new Pokemon are awesome. The show also appeared to have matured just a little bit during this season. Team Rocket really stepped up their game for a while, but later on, it seemed as if they fell back, but they lack their unassisted blastoffs, which I kind missed since the later getaways seemed so out of place.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I had to stop watching half way through the Orange Islands, so I voted for Kanto. I've had the urge to start watching again. The DVDs don't seem to be abundant on Amazon UK either. :(

I have only watched up to the Orange Islands and I too am now interested in re-watching the show. It's surprising how hard it is to find pokemon episodes.

To stay on topic - I have no idea. I only really watched up to Orange Islands. I am trying to watch the Best Wishes episodes but it's hard to watch when the voices have changed so much and you still have the original ones strong in your mind.

Ultimo1991

Team Ultimo/Infinity Leader
    Years
  • i had to choose the Kanto Battle Frontier because they had more action and i like the landscape there for some reason... :D

Theta Rex

Euclid
    Years
  • Gonna have to go with Kanto, simply because I found it much more enjoyable and memorable than any of the later seasons (the ones I bothered to watch anyways).

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I have to say Johto was my favorite region to watch due to Ash finally learning some strategy >.< Even at the Indigo league he's taking tips from Misty and Brock about what to do. My thoughts just were: Wow.. He can't put two and two together than Pikachu in swimming pool + Arcanine directly above + Thunderbolt = Win? >.< Also I don't remember if it's Sinnoh or Unova but Ash acts like a complete idiot in one of them.. I believe in the latter he sort of forgets how to catch a Pokemon .-.

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
    Years
  • It's really hard for me to decide which region I loved the most because they all had their own advantages to it but the ones that really stay with are Johto and Sinnoh (even though May and Max are one of my favourite protagonists).

But I voted Johto! xD

I really loved the style and Pokemon in Johto. It brought in three of my favourite starters ever. I enjoyed the character development between the three protagonists. I really did enjoy the filler arcs and the gym leaders were probably my most favourite. I just enjoyed this region thoroughly. Although, I do hope they return to the region because I felt they really didn't do it as much justice. I'd love Ash retrying the league there or something.

Most of the reason why I ended up deciding Johto was probably because it was the region when I first started watching Pokemon.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
    Years
  • I'll prefer Sinnoh because ash has cool Pokémon in Sinnoh and he was still travelling with Brock. And had his greatest battle of his life with TOBIAS!

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
    Years
  • I prefer the Isshu Region. No doubt. I admire the more anime-like features, both the Adorable/Bad*** Pokemon, and the Chill Gym Leaders, especially Dento. Satoshi even seems a bit cooler, and Pikachu actually looks cute now.

Sun Casscade

The Sun's Water
    Years
  • I think Johto, 'cause it had the Kanto originality feel, and I liked Johto pokemon best. No idea why I liked them best, but I did. I think I found their appearances cuter and more up-beat. DOn't ask, just weird.

xGunLuis

Let's Player
    Years
  • i watched 1 episode of pokemon black and white and its like they made ash a complete noob... he tried to attack a roggenrola with a tackle attack...at least in kanto he knew what type matchups were

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2012
    I like Kanto because it's the original region and Sinnoh cause of the story line, the fights, and the rivals.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I like Kanto the original region the best since it had fun plots and cool pokemon,i also like the Johto pokemon because they were really epic and so was the Johto region.Unova region have really cool pokemon and the story telling has been the best so far,the rivals are really cool.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Its almost impossible to just choose one era, for me they are all great. My vote had to be between Orange Is. and Hoenn (ended up choosing Hoenn) .... mainly many of my favorite episodes with Team Rocket fall in between those eras the most. I can't think of another reason.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Kanto/Johto were the godly days of the pokemon anime series. Hoenn was ok but it wasn't all that good anime wise. At this point during the AG series Team Rocket were becoming more of a joke and less serious as villains.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I loved Hoenn in the games, but in the anime, it felt too childish.... Same thing with the Battle Frontier. It was mostly from 4kids' onslaught of riceball censoring and making it feel more lame with bad music and voice actors. I enjoyed all of the other seasons though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I liked Hoenn. I loved May in the anime and I love most of the pokemon from this region. Not to mention th epic battle near the end of the anime between Aqua and Magma and the return of Lance.

Back