• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter for Fire red?

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    I was thinking Charmander, but then i changed my mind. Inbetween Squirtle and Bulbasaur now, I dont know what Charmander evolves into so please tell me which one you would pick because I'm having alot of trouble! Thanks in advance!!

Years
    Wh-wh-what!??
    You don't know what Charmander evolves into?
    Only the best Fire, Flying type out there.
    Definently pick Charmander it evolves into Charizard.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Well I'll tell you this, don't bother with bulbasaur. It only helps with 2 gym leaders, and will be a drag when fighting team rocket since poison beats grass. I would go with squirtle, there aren't many other good water pokemon out there in the beginning to help.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Blastoise is the weakest of the 3 Kanto Starters. It's well-rounded stats make it's downfall.

I'd pick Venusaur, as you can have this:

Venusaur
    Adamant
    Sleep Powder
    Swords Dance
    Sludge Bomb
    Earthquake

Moltres ia a far more superior as Fire/Flying Type.

IMO, you made the right choice at not wanting Charmander.

The only Gym Leaders you'll have problems with are Sabrina and Blaine.

Brock: Super-Effective Grass Attacks
    Misty: Super-Effective Grass Attacks
    Lt. Surge: Grass resists Electric
    Erika: Resists Grass x4. May have problems Dealing Damage, unless you use Normal-Type Moves
    Koga: Watch out for random Psychic Attacks from Venonat/moth, and strike with Normal.
    Sabrina: NO
    Blaine: NO
    Giovanni: Super-Effective Grass Attacks

Last edited:

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
    Ye, Dunsparce is right. If you can use Venusaur's speed against the pitiful team rocket, you can OHKO all of their pokemon wiht almost any move. Bulbasaur is the best choice.

Ash&pikachuarethebest

Houndoom trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Personally even tho I am a bulbasaur fan I would pick charamander because there aren't alot of good fire types in the game I don't think and there is loads of good water and grass types around so go for charamander just make sure you caught a mankey at the start of the game so you can take out brock and make sure you caught either a pikachu or an oddish or a paras before misty and u will be alright.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    But Dunsparce, you neglected any of Bulbasaur's STAB moves, like razor leaf. Be sure to leave at least 1 STAB move in his attack list. A better combo would be sunny day and solarbeam, and earthquake and sludgebomb, which is a good choice as bulbasaur is half poison.
    And against Giovanni, there is still the issue of Nido queen and king.

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    whatever you do, don't get squirtle. Blastoise isn't half as good as either Venusaur or Charizard. I personally like Venusaur over Charizard, especially in FireRed, cuz you can get Arcanine as a good replacement for Charizard, not to mention Moltres late in the game. FireRed actually doesn't have any really good replacements for Venusaur, Vileplume is horrible, that leaves Weezing or maybe Muk. Blastoise has several better replacements (Vaporeon, Starmie, Slowbro, Gyrados, Lapras, Dewgong and Omastar) as well as a few that are just as good (Poliwrath, Cloyster).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2008
    Why care if your just going through the game? Unless its a female and you can breed it, its pretty much useless because evs are everywhere. If you want a pokemon just to get through the game, pick bulbasaur, however, if you want to breed and get a good ev trained with a right nature, get blastoise/charizard. (squirtle/charmander). I don't see why this thread needs to be made.

Years
    I was thinking Charmander, but then i changed my mind. Inbetween Squirtle and Bulbasaur now, I dont know what Charmander evolves into so please tell me which one you would pick because I'm having alot of trouble! Thanks in advance!!

Honestly, it really only matters in terms of how challenging you want the game to be when you're just starting out. The first Gym uses Rock Pokémon, and the second uses Water Pokémon, so using Charmander presents the greatest difficulty. Squirtle would be medium, since Water resists Water, but Rock is weak to Water. Bulbasaur gives you the easiest journey, since both Water and Rock are weak to Grass. By the time you reach the third Gym, you should have enough Pokémon to tackle pretty much anything.

That said, I'd really only play any GBA Pokémon game in order to transfer Pokémon into Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum when it comes out through Pal Park.

Also, consider yourself fortunate if you get a female starter. That way you can breed it early without having to worry about Ditto.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    But Dunsparce, you neglected any of Bulbasaur's STAB moves, like razor leaf. Be sure to leave at least 1 STAB move in his attack list. A better combo would be sunny day and solarbeam, and earthquake and sludgebomb, which is a good choice as bulbasaur is half poison.
    And against Giovanni, there is still the issue of Nido queen and king.

Sludge Bomb is a STAB Move :/

It can't learn any Decent Grass attacks in Advacnce.

Sunny Day and Solarbeam on a Grass type without an abiliy to use the sun in a n00bish strategy. *Competitive Battler*

Also, The Nido's are weak against EQ.

Eartqhuake/Sludge Bomb/Swords Dance/Sleep Powder is a common 3rd Gen Strategy. Make the Opponent fall asleep, Swords Dance up, and Sweep with it's two Physical Moves.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    Thanks. And Dunsparce, you just gave me an idea about what m future moveset will be. Or not, depending on if I get it over to Diamond sooner or later when completing the Diamond game, then I'll probobly teach it Grass Knot or some other cool new TM.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Thanks. And Dunsparce, you just gave me an idea about what m future moveset will be. Or not, depending on if I get it over to Diamond sooner or later when completing the Diamond game, then I'll probobly teach it Grass Knot or some other cool new TM.

My 2 4th Gen Venusaur Sets:
    Physcial:

Sleep Powder
    Swords Dance
    Seed Bomb
    Earthquake

Special:
    Sleep Powder
    Growth/HP Fire, Ice
    Sludge Bomb
    Energy ball/Grass Knot/Leaf Storm

Physical 'saur looses Sludge Bomb but gains Seed Bomb in 4th Gen. Level up a Bublasaur to level 37 before Evolving it to get it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2008
    wtf I always start with charmander on kanto.. why so many problems just choose the one you like more when u train a pokemon it will always be a good one ( almost always ) just need to train

Saviour_Gundam

ZGMF-X23S
    Years
    • Age 36
    • CT
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    I chose a Squirtle and has forever since been on my team, He'd wreck all your Venusaurs and Charizards >_>

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I found the game easy, it doesn't really matter which starter you choose, I had the best time using Charmander though, best starter in my opinion (just go catch a Mankey and level him enough to learn a fighting move to slaughter the first gym since Charmander is not much use there, also Metal claw Charmander learns at level 9 or so is super effective to rock as well which will be good if you never acquired a Mankey.

if you want, spend some time leveling before fighting the gym in pewter, I think I had 3 level 16's by the time I got to him.

The fact is there are enough pokemon out there who can help with gyms, and Charmander evolved just makes the game that much easier, If you can beat misty (gym 2 "water") with Charmelion then your doing alright haha.

Back