• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which trainer did you have the most trouble with?

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
Years
  • I only got the game today. But Bugsy is seriously giving me problems as I have only got a level 23 Bayleef on my team. =P

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    Yes starting with Bayleef is such a pain in my rear!! Bugsy folded me three times, even though I out leveled his Scyther by 12 levels. Oh and the demon trainers on route 47 with the Magmar & Electabuzz! Bayleef is by far the worst starter in the history of starer Pokemon!

OscarGrouch

The Worst of the Best
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2010
    For me, I'd have to say Lance (although I haven't fought Red yet :3). The one Pokemon I was prepared for the first time around was Gyrados. A clean Thunder by Ampharos, and he was finished. But the rest of the dragons, I had nothing. I had to lose and go back for Lugia, and teach it some Ice moves if I even wanted a chance to win. The rest were quite easy. As long as I had Fire and Electric Pokemon, the game was quite easy.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    The only time I ever had trouble battling was when I was fighting the Kimono girls. They were whoopin' my butt! I survived with only one Pokemon left and it was a level 42 Feraligatr (ev trained).

Lorenzo_Von_Matterhorn

Trainer of Awesome
    Years
  • No Worries Until The Battle Frontier....

Yeah, I don't see myself having any trouble taking out any of the region gym leaders or the Elite Four since I haven't even started my game yet (trying to get a shiny starter though soft-resetting)... I definitely won't have any trouble annihilating my rival although, the Battle Frontier is another issue altogether because the odds are always stacked up against me there... I pray I don't chuck my DSi at my Wii...

-Lorenzo

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I had the most trouble with Karen surprisingly. Her Umbreon was just dodging ALL of my attacks, and got 3 of my pkmn's health almost into red. I had to use 5 of my 6 pokemon to take down that ONE Umbreon, and yes all of them were like 2-4 levels above it. Finally it ran out of moves and used flail and fainted. I always hate Umbreons if I'm not the one using it ><. The rest of her team was okay, but somehow her Murkrow got a critical hit on my Ziggy (meganium) and made him faint. Boy I was pissed and from there on it was like me and my 5 other pokes became one and went super saiyan on the rest of her pokemon. This all happened like 15 minutes ago btw.

Lance was alright, his aerodactyl and gyarados gave me the run for my money though. W/ Gyarados kept getting first hits in and my frosslass was low in hp after the first 2 thunderbolts didn't kill it. But I prevailed! Surprisingly I KOed his Dragonites w/ one hit of ice beam. Man....the elite four in SS/HG seem to be a lot tougher than in DPPt. Even though in sinnoh the elite four is higher leveled, I breezed through them literally without problems.

Gamefreaked

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2010
    I remember some psychic, dont remember where or who, but he was annoying as hell. Had like two abras and a kadabra that all used flash to lower your accuracy to the bear minimum. Sucked so bad, couldn't land a hit and those confusions were killing me slowly.

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • Red -_-

Srsly the guy has all the Kanto starters, a Lapras, a Snorlax, and a Pikachu that OHKO'd my Typhlosion
    I've battled him and I have yet to beat him in the game

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I remember some psychic, dont remember where or who, but he was annoying as hell. Had like two abras and a kadabra that all used flash to lower your accuracy to the bear minimum. Sucked so bad, couldn't land a hit and those confusions were killing me slowly.
    That's be the one outside the National Park and near where Sudowoodo is, methinks. I remember that flash attack from him well from the GSC days, heh.

For me, I haven't played much (got further in my monotype rom playthroughs while waiting for the english version, heh, which gets one up to beating the third gym before the freezes really kick in), but in those challenges, the hardest for me would be Falkner and Bugsy for my Grass-type playthroughs - ended up poisoning early and then stalling desperately with Bugsy's Scyther in particular, heh. But the hardest may have been my rival's 2nd battle actually with my water-type team - someone already mentioned it, but try it with a Totodile, Wooper and Slowpoke. D= Reflect basically meant I could only do laughable damage and Synthesis was annoying. Until it ran out of PP for it at least, heh. But that was a long battle.

Nothing with my actual game yet though - trading over the Johto Starters + Larvitar helps I suppose. =P Only up to Bugsy though...

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    Children, children.. Sounds like none of you have faced Lance on the second run of the E4, after the National Dex.
    His team is scary, and twice I was creamed by a beastly Salamence. I brought down his
    evil mence with my Dragonite (it used flamethrower?! lolhax) and I used my Choice Scarfed Feraligator with Ice Punch to tear down Garchomp and a Dragonite that outleveled my entire team by at least 9 levels. The rest came naturally. But the most annoying and difficult trainer is Koga (yes, on the Post-National Dex E4.) Toxic + Black Sludge + 4 Minimizes = a ridiculous Muk that you will learn to loathe as I have.

Omg I know, Lance is sooo much harder on the second run, took me so long to take down his Garchomp.

Hardest for me is definitely Red, faced him 4 times now, spent over 90,000 on revives and full restores and etc. to defeat him, still hasn't worked. :(

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    It depended mostly, I was only defeated by Red once but I KO'ed his team in one shot the second time around.

KO'ed by most Gym Leaders, but I eventually beat them the second-fourth time around, Kanto however...I eliminated all of them in one shot. ^^

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Omg I know, Lance is sooo much harder on the second run, took me so long to take down his Garchomp.

Hardest for me is definitely Red, faced him 4 times now, spent over 90,000 on revives and full restores and etc. to defeat him, still hasn't worked. :(

What levels are your pokemon for lance and for red? For me they weren't too hard. If you are having trouble finding a good way to level your team up, go here: https://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml and reset the clock on your DS to the appropriet times and dates to get the phone numbers and time and dates to rematch the certain leader. Look around to find a leader that each individual Pokemon can defeat without any help (eg. Bellossom - Brock, Typhlosion - Erika, etc.) and they will rack in 11,000-15,000 experience (depending on the leader) each rematch. I got my whole team from level 61 to 70 in one day without spending all 24 hours playing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    Oh omg didn't realize there was a specific time to find them, just thought they were their, that would explain it. And yah, I am kinda a 1-2 pokemon at a time focuser (I crazy build up only 1-2 for most of the game, so the rest are fairly weak until I start training them after I beat the pokemon league) so I have my highest as a level 74 and a 73, second highest is a lvl 44 (huge difference lol). Ty for the help though.

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • I don't think i have had one i almost lost, i like to grind my pokemon to ridiculously high levels before i attack a leader.

I made a little rule for myself after i beat the gym my ace pokemon (Sunny/Dragonite) Has to be 10 levels higher than the last leaders ace.

And my back ups (Roller/Donphan,Ruby/Arcanine,Tidal, Feraligatr.) Have to be 5 levels higher than the last leaders ace.

Back