• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which was the hardest gym to beat?

Hardest gym to beat?

• Total voters

Elsword

I'm Not Sure About This
Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2011
    Gardenia, I guess.

She managed to kick my ass a few times even though I had a Monferno and Staravia..

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    For the gym puzzle I would say Candice's Gym. For the gym battle I would say Roark. Starting out with Chimchar wasn't good for me, going into that gym with only Chimchar, Staravia, and Shinx.

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    I always struggle the most with Fantina and Candice, regardless of what starter I pick. :/ So they'd be the most difficult for me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    On my Platinum, the only gym that I had a problem with was Volkner, and it was probably because I was a little underleveled. Not to mention that I didn't have a ground move, and two of my Pokemon were weak to Electric. Took me three tries to defeat him, and the third try was only because I had my Empoleon left (his Raichu died of poison after killing my Togekiss. Thank god for Roserade and Toxic Spikes).

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Hardest battle- Fantina, I spent too much time raising ground and normal types
    Hardest gym maze- ... I dunno! Maybe Candice's snowball smashing maze?
    Easiest gym battle- Candice and Maylene, I had a level 59 flareon and level 35 staraptor ready for those gyms- it was a piece of cake

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • As I recall in Platinum none were that hard at all due to me making my team more well rounded, but in Diamond I clearly remember always struggling on the Ghost gym, every time.

NejiForce

Kh-Fan
    Years
  • Hm DPP The Gyms where really cheap Ele ´was a joke
    (I´d nearly say that the rock at the begin was the hardest because I hadn´t any trained Poki...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I had trouble with Wake sometimes, just because I never really have Pokemon that are very effective against his. And of course Maylene and her Lucario like to cause me pain.

Andrew Ryan

Years
  • Wake gave me the most trouble, mostly because I had pokes that were really water weak. (Infernape, ect.) and my pokes were under-leveled.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I'm gonna have to say Fantina. I never really had issues with Maylene, but Fantina's stupid ghosts always gave me trouble. I just never have moves that can hit Ghosts for heavy damage at that point in the game it seems.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I've always found Gardenia tough to fight. Not so much that she's hard to beat, but with useful support moves like Reflect and Sunny Day it can become quite hard. Also taking in however fat your Pokemon can be in terms with her Roserade as well, with it's immense special attack that it comes with. D:

Back