• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which was the hardest gym to beat?

Hardest gym to beat?

• Total voters

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Well all gyms are pretty easy to beat but if you start with Chimchar and didn't had any other Pokemon, you'd have trouble with first gym leader.

It's nothing like unbeatable but it's going to take some time.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Screw the GYMs, the LEAGUE is the hardest challenge, all of them... With the right luck for their POKE'MON and trust me they have ****ing luck. (They'll Critical you... A LOT!) any of the four, including puny AARON will pwn you, silly.

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • In Diamond it was for sure Gardenia, since I was a noob, I chose Piplup & I didn't know there were some ponyta in field next to the town, it took like 13 times to beat her. I literally had a mental breakdown by the 7th time.

As for Platinum, I'm still playing, but I think the water one will be really hard for me, since nobody on my team so far is good against water.

Reddo

Happy!
    Years
  • The only two gyms I lost at least once were Maylene's, Fantina's and Candice's. It seems like they're a problem to us all.
    Of the two, Maylene's is harder because of Lucario. He will defeat every single pokémon you put there, in a manner as dramatic as of Cynthia's Garchomp. These two pokémon have smashing movesets... >=D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    I didn't really have that many problems at any gyms, except at Sunyshore, because my pokemon were only a few levels above his.

I had a huge problem with the fighting gym puzzle though. Most frustrating gym puzzle out of every generation that I've played.

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • One of the elite four people (I think the fire guy) was kinda hard. Well its because my highlest level and main fighter was a grass type (my starter)

giles863

Geodude Expert
    Years
  • Probably the Sunyshore Gym. My Graveler couldn't do anything because all of his Pokemon knew some kind of Steel attack. I ended up beating him with my Luxray...:pokeball:

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Gardenia for definate.
    Grottle vs. Roserade dosn't work out all that well...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Volkner. I didn't have any Ground type moves so it was hard to get an advantage at anything (Platinum).

Years
  • For me, it was Candice's Ice-type Gym. I never had a Fighting-type, or a Fire-type to deal with her, so she just used to destroy my team unless I got lucky. Once I actually taught my Staraptor Close Combat, though, it got a bit easier.

Years
  • I agree with Rooke, Candice is so hard to beat if you don't have a Fighting or Fire type (especially Infernape) the hail can cause problems and it's even worse in Platinum cos of Froslass's ability (though I never challenged it in Pt yet I saw a video by Marriland and disovered it was very hard)

Back