• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who else is not a big fan of eeveelutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
  • espeon isn't worth using either. poor bulk + questionable defensive typing, almost no reason to be used over other psychic-types or magic bouncers.

Most Magic Bouncers need to mega evolve first to activate it though. The only two Pokemon who acquire Magic Bounce naturally are Espeon and Xatu, and Espeon is better than Xatu which is why Xatu's NU and Espeon's UU. Espeon is definitely not high OU material though, especially with dark types getting all these boosts lately.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Most Magic Bouncers need to mega evolve first to activate it though. The only two Pokemon who acquire Magic Bounce naturally are Espeon and Xatu, and Espeon is better than Xatu which is why Xatu's NU and Espeon's UU. Espeon is definitely not high OU material though, especially with dark types getting all these boosts lately.

i'd actually argue that even xatu is better than espeon. just because the latter is in a higher tier than xatu doesn't mean it's better than it in OU. besides that, mega sableye has the natural bulk to mega evolve safely, and that's why you lead with it.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • I don't care for the plant-based one, but other than that they're fine.

Yeah i wonder how aunt Leafeon has a skeleton sctructure, if any O_o

I despise Espeon, poor girl is the only CAT of the group

Maybe also Jolteon becuase of her thunders (lol i made a pun) in spring and summer and Glaceon and her freeze ray in winter

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    They don't deserve as much love as they get.

Bit of a dramatic way of wording it.

Eeveelutions are fine, I suppose. Any more and it would be obsessive, but I don't have any strong opinions against them.

Years
  • espeon isn't worth using either. poor bulk + questionable defensive typing, almost no reason to be used over other psychic-types or magic bouncers.

As Crystal said, not many Pokemon have Magic Bounce naturally so it does at least win in that department because most Pokemon with the ability only acquire it with Mega Evolution. But as she said, Espeon's use competitively is questionable due to all the buffs to the Dark-type that 6th Gen has given.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I personally think Espeon is better than Alakazam because of access to Magic Bounce and moves like Dazzling Gleam, Dual Screens, and Yawn. Vaporeon is also better than Blastoise because of bulkier stats and Water Absorb and access to a reliable healing move like Wish, but y'know.

I'm a big fan of the Eeveelutions, some more than others, but I don't dislike any of them. They are actually really underrated (imo) in VGC and other competitive formats, with the exception of Pixilate Hyper Voice Sylveon, but as far as more casual fans they do have a pretty prominent fanbase, nothing that's exactly unwarranted though.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I personally think Espeon is better than Alakazam because of access to Magic Bounce and moves like Dazzling Gleam, Dual Screens, and Yawn. Vaporeon is also better than Blastoise because of bulkier stats and Water Absorb and access to a reliable healing move like Wish, but y'know.

I'm a big fan of the Eeveelutions, some more than others, but I don't dislike any of them. They are actually really underrated (imo) in VGC and other competitive formats, with the exception of Pixilate Hyper Voice Sylveon, but as far as more casual fans they do have a pretty prominent fanbase, nothing that's exactly unwarranted though.

Ummm... you do realize Espeon and Vaporeon don't get mega evolutions, do you?

And Alakazam gets those moves as well (bar Yawn) and has the Magic Guard ability which means it doesn't care about hazards or status either. It also has access to moves such as Focus Blast and Signal Beam which Espeon would really love to have. Mega Blastoise on the other hand has much higher sheer power and better coverage than Vappy and gets Rapid Spin (aka the main reason to use it). If I wanted to use Wish, I'd rather go with Chansey or Jirachi.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Ummm... you do realize Espeon and Vaporeon don't get mega evolutions, do you?

And Alakazam gets those moves as well (bar Yawn) and has the Magic Guard ability which means it doesn't care about hazards or status either. It also has access to moves such as Focus Blast and Signal Beam which Espeon would really love to have. Mega Blastoise on the other hand has much higher sheer power and better coverage than Vappy and gets Rapid Spin (aka the main reason to use it). If I wanted to use Wish, I'd rather go with Chansey or Jirachi.

I never said they did... lmao. The point is that they can hold their own without the use of mega evolutions unlike Alakazam and Blastoise who rely heavily on them, end up taking an item slot and can't utilize their abilities from the first turn, etc. Rapid Spin and entry hazards are also really nonexistent in VGC, as well, so.

The Eeveelutions have definitely been nerf'd as the generations have gone by, but the same can be said about many other Pokémon that were really good upon their initial release, that seriously suck now (Weavile, Gliscor, somewhat Garchomp, just to name a few from Gen IV). I would say that Eeveelution popularity has also really dropped since the mid-2000's, when the online Pokémon community really took off and was pretty prominent. There were entire sites dedicated to them back then, lol. Not so much now.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    To be honest, I really don't care for the newer ones. Obviously I love Vaporeon. It was my favorite back when Pokemon started. I do like Espeon as well. Jolteon is cool. The rest are meh. I can see why some people don't like them at all but I personally feel that Vaporeon is a legit fighter and actually can compete when playing the game. When used right, he is a tank. Slow yeah, but tough in the right aspects.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I never said they did... lmao. The point is that they can hold their own without the use of mega evolutions unlike Alakazam and Blastoise who rely heavily on them, end up taking an item slot and can't utilize their abilities from the first turn, etc. Rapid Spin and entry hazards are also really nonexistent in VGC, as well, so.

The Eeveelutions have definitely been nerf'd as the generations have gone by, but the same can be said about many other Pokémon that were really good upon their initial release, that seriously suck now (Weavile, Gliscor, somewhat Garchomp, just to name a few from Gen IV). I would say that Eeveelution popularity has also really dropped since the mid-2000's, when the online Pokémon community really took off and was pretty prominent. There were entire sites dedicated to them back then, lol. Not so much now.

Alakazam can function on its own without a Mega evo. It can use Focus Sash to survive a hit or Life Orb to hit very hard... and I was referring to the Smogon singles metagame -_-

How do Weavile, Gliscor and Garchomp suck when they are all solidly OU? Weavile is still as threatening as ever with its great 125 base speed, and its excellent coverage paired with Knock Off. Gliscor is still very annoying to take out and can destroy stall with SD, while Chomp is the most common Pokemon in OU.

Yeah, back in gen 4 (2010) I remember most people being obssesed with Eeveelutions...

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    To be honest, I really don't care for the newer ones. Obviously I love Vaporeon. It was my favorite back when Pokemon started. I do like Espeon as well. Jolteon is cool. The rest are meh. I can see why some people don't like them at all but I personally feel that Vaporeon is a legit fighter and actually can compete when playing the game. When used right, he is a tank. Slow yeah, but tough in the right aspects.

Vaporeon is bae, it's been my favorite Pokémon since I started using it competitively so many years ago, and it remains a favorite to this day. It's definitely been knocked down a few pegs in usage because of the introduction of other bulky Water-types like Jellicent, but I'm still adamant about it being great - I had a Vaporeon survive my friend's Mega Manectric's Thunder with 252 Sp. Atk EVs and a +SpAtk nature... so, yeah! Vaporeon all the way.

Alakazam can function on its own without a Mega evo. It can use Focus Sash to survive a hit or Life Orb to hit very hard... and I was referring to the Smogon singles metagame -_-

How do Weavile, Gliscor and Garchomp suck when they are all solidly OU? Weavile is still as threatening as ever with its great 125 base speed, and its excellent coverage paired with Knock Off. Gliscor is still very annoying to take out and can destroy stall with SD, while Chomp is the most common Pokemon in OU.

Yeah, back in gen 4 (2010) I remember most people being obssesed with Eeveelutions...

Smogon is a fanmade format so... VGC is my only consideration. I digress though, this thread is about Eeveelution popularity, not competitive usage.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    Vaporeon is bae, it's been my favorite Pokémon since I started using it competitively so many years ago, and it remains a favorite to this day. It's definitely been knocked down a few pegs in usage because of the introduction of other bulky Water-types like Jellicent, but I'm still adamant about it being great - I had a Vaporeon survive my friend's Mega Manectric's Thunder with 252 Sp. Atk EVs and a +SpAtk nature... so, yeah! Vaporeon all the way.

Anyone I talk to doubts its ability yet I have had it screw over teams all on its own! It is bulky and slow sure, but with the right set it can not only keep you in a match-up but provide annoying burns with scald, and a nice combo with toxic.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Anyone I talk to doubts its ability yet I have had it screw over teams all on its own! It is bulky and slow sure, but with the right set it can not only keep you in a match-up but provide annoying burns with scald, and a nice combo with toxic.

There are many other better walls than Vaporeon who can do exactly what you listed, since they either possess better bulk (Alomomola), or much higher speed in the case of Starmie.

xVaporeonx

Catwoman
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2016
    There are many other better walls than Vaporeon who can do exactly what you listed, since they either possess better bulk (Alomomola), or much higher speed in the case of Starmie.

But can they rest? >_>

I'm a fan of the first five, not the rest.

I will always be a fan for the first set (the 3) but I also like Espeon and Umbreon. I don't like the fairy, grass, or ice ones. I can't think of their names lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back