• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who else is not a big fan of eeveelutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silri

Kimono Girl
Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Them's fighting words. ;)

What is creative or original is a bit subjective, and since I don't play Pokemon competitively I don't have much of an opinion on that subject.

I don't get why people view them as feminine either, seeing as most of the eeveelutions in existence are MALE and the only one that might seem overtly feminine in appearance is Sylveon. But who says pink is only for girls?

But to be honest, I can understand how someone who likes a less 'popular' Pokemon might feel slightly resentful of all the attention the Eevee family gets. I don't think they receive an unreasonable amount of popularity, no more so than Pikachu, Lucario or some of the starters. And in a way it's understandable that they receive the popularity that they do. They are quite cute (i.e. marketable) and their gimmick is one that spans multiple Pokemon generations, keeping the evolution line relevant as time goes on.

That said, I personally happen to love the eeveelutions. I don't care if they're 'overrated'. They're adorable, varied, and deeply tied to Kimono Girl culture. I have a lot of good memories of my various eeveelution teammates.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Them's fighting words. ;)

What is creative or original is a bit subjective, and since I don't play Pokemon competitively I don't have much of an opinion on that subject.

I don't get why people view them as feminine either, seeing as most of the eeveelutions in existence are MALE and the only one that might seem overtly feminine in appearance is Sylveon. But who says pink is only for girls?

But to be honest, I can understand how someone who likes a less 'popular' Pokemon might feel slightly resentful of all the attention the Eevee family gets. I don't think they receive an unreasonable amount of popularity, no more so than Pikachu, Lucario or some of the starters. And in a way it's understandable that they receive the popularity that they do. They are quite cute (i.e. marketable) and their gimmick is one that spans multiple Pokemon generations, keeping the evolution line relevant as time goes on.

That said, I personally happen to love the eeveelutions. I don't care if they're 'overrated'. They're adorable, varied, and deeply tied to Kimono Girl culture. I have a lot of good memories of my various eeveelution teammates.

Exactly, and Sylveon has a 87.5% chance to be male as well, and it doesn't have a feminine appearence either, at least in my book.

Many Pokemon are cute and marketable. Teddiursa is cute. Shaymin is cute. Poliwag is cute. But their popularity doesn't even come close to Eevee's. They really should stop making other eeveelutions and move on. They could have kept the Tyrogue line relevant, they could have kept the Poliwag line relevant, but NOOOOOOO. They stopped making them, so they ought to stop with eeveelutions as well.

As for me, personally I like Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Garbodor and Tangrowth, which deserve just as much respect as the Eeveelutions in my opinion.

Years
  • i don't know about you, and i'm probably not gonna make any friends by posting this, but i don't see the appeal of eeveelutions, and in my opinion they don't deserve as much love as they get.

first of all, they just look like your average cookie-cutter fox/cat, there seems to be nothing special about eevee or its evolutions. eevee is cute, but it lacks any form of originality, unlike something such as ninetales, snivy or conkeldurr. its evolutions are cute, but again, no originality. this means they steal all the spotlight from pokemon that deserve more love, such as abomasnow (glaceon), alakazam (espeon), honchkrow (umbreon) or clefable (sylveon).

second, eeveelutions are decent, but they are outclassed. they have poor movepools, gamefreak seems to lazily rearrange their stats and call it a day.

You haven't ran across the right Jolteon then. Come @ my umbreons! i promise you'll have a hard time :)

Years
  • You want a battle? You're on! xD But on Showdown please.

And why would you use Jolteon over Thundurus or Mega Manectric?

Thundurus is legendary and I don't play with legendaries cus OP.

Mega magnetric has barely superior stats (in areas that would hardly make a difference) but takes up a mega slot and can't hold items.

Also Jolteon can baton pass

Years
  • lol, what are you talking about? I don't know about 6th gen, but up until 5th gen, Jolteon was the fastest OU Pokemon, without items or boosts, having a whooping 130 base-speed, which is only tied by Aerodactyl and Crobat and both share a weakness to Jolteon's Thunder(bolt). 110 SpAtk is also very good and if you have rain going, you will take some serious damage by it's Thunder. Even Thunderbolt will hurt decently and with said speed, you will have a tough time against it.
    Of course it is easily stopped by the likes of Blissey or Mamoswine. But it is still a very capable sweeper, especially if you use it wisely.

Vaporeon too is a very capable eeveelution with good defenses, immense HP (it get's you a nice 101 sub, and that's all you really need to hold out for quite some time) and access to Wish and Baton Pass. With Scald it even got a nice way to burn unsuspecting enemies that don't like the additional damage and/or the loss in physical prowess.

And the other eeveelutions have their niches as well (Glaceon can be a very nice sweeper in NU and Umbreon is the best cleric you get in UU).
    Eeveelutions are definitely far from being bad, you just have to use them wisely, but that goes for every Pokemon. Even Ubers suck extremely bad if you don't know what you are doing. No 700+ base stats will help you, when your opponent just outplays you with his UU team...

PS: Regarding Alomomola - it sucks, at least in OU, that's why it is only NU/UU/RU. You don't play that thing in OU so you don't compare it to Vaporeon. Vaporeon just outclasses it. It has better defense (altogether and especially special defense) and Alomomolas damage is pathetic at best. It can't even heal itself from status and is completely useless once taunted, since it's damage output is so low. Of course you could give it Rest, but what for? You only have 4 moves to choose and Rest won't really do you any good. Again: Once it's taunted, it can't do anything anyways, you'd have to switch it out. Amomola is no competition for Vaporeon. Please don't compare NU with OU. Every Pokémon has it's use, but they shouldn't be compared to superior choices. That would be like comparing Charmander and Charizard...

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't exactly care for Eeveelutions too much but I don't really hate them either. If I had to pick favorites it'd be Vaporeon and Sylveon.

Thundurus is legendary and I don't play with legendaries cus OP.
    I hate to break it to ya but legendary =/= OP

lol, what are you talking about? I don't know about 6th gen, but up until 5th gen, Jolteon was the fastest OU Pokemon, without items or boosts, having a whooping 130 base-speed, which is only tied by Aerodactyl and Crobat and both share a weakness to Jolteon's Thunder(bolt). 110 SpAtk is also very good and if you have rain going, you will take some serious damage by it's Thunder. Even Thunderbolt will hurt decently and with said speed, you will have a tough time against it.
    Of course it is easily stopped by the likes of Blissey or Mamoswine. But it is still a very capable sweeper, especially if you use it wisely.
    Yeeeeeeeeah stuff's changed quite a lot since 5th Gen. Jolteon's no longer the fastest one around, there's stuff like Mega Lopunny, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Mancetric that're faster than it now. The meta's gotten faster in general really. The loss of perma-weather also makes it harder to make use of Jolteon's role of a rain sweeper. And the massive increase of the overall raw power of the meta also makes Jolteon's poor overall bulk even more of an issue than it used to be.

Basically what Mega Mancetric has over Jolteon is that it's slightly faster and has greater Sp.Attack. Base 110 SpA is slightly underwhelming in today's meta for an offensive 'mon. Mega Manectric also gets Flamethrower and Overheat, meaning it can combat Grass types much better than Jolteon can with Signal Beam (since that's weak as hell on it and it still gets walled by stuff like Roserade, Venusaur, Amoonguss, etc) or Hidden Power Ice, and also snipe Excadrill outside of sand, which is useful. Intimidate is also useful in more situations than Volt Absorb is.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • lol, what are you talking about? I don't know about 6th gen, but up until 5th gen, Jolteon was the fastest OU Pokemon, without items or boosts, having a whooping 130 base-speed, which is only tied by Aerodactyl and Crobat and both share a weakness to Jolteon's Thunder(bolt). 110 SpAtk is also very good and if you have rain going, you will take some serious damage by it's Thunder. Even Thunderbolt will hurt decently and with said speed, you will have a tough time against it.

Vaporeon too is a very capable eeveelution with good defenses, immense HP (it get's you a nice 101 sub, and that's all you really need to hold out for quite some time) and access to Wish and Baton Pass. With Scald it even got a nice way to burn unsuspecting enemies that don't like the additional damage and/or the loss in physical prowess.

And the other eeveelutions have their niches as well (Glaceon can be a very nice sweeper in NU and Umbreon is the best cleric you get in UU).
    Eeveelutions are definitely far from being bad, you just have to use them wisely, but that goes for every Pokemon. Even Ubers suck extremely bad if you don't know what you are doing. No 700+ base stats will help you, when your opponent just outplays you with his UU team...

PS: Regarding Alomomola - it sucks, at least in OU, that's why it is only NU/UU/RU. You don't play that thing in OU so you don't compare it to Vaporeon. Vaporeon just outclasses it. It has better defense (altogether and especially special defense) and Alomomolas damage is pathetic at best. It can't even heal itself from status and is completely useless once taunted, since it's damage output is so low. Of course you could give it Rest, but what for? You only have 4 moves to choose and Rest won't really do you any good. Again: Once it's taunted, it can't do anything anyways, you'd have to switch it out. Amomola is no competition for Vaporeon. Please don't compare NU with OU. Every Pokémon has it's use, but they shouldn't be compared to superior choices. That would be like comparing Charmander and Charizard...

omfg no offense but this kinda shows you are talking out of your ass

Jolteon was bad even in Gen 5, like I'd rather use Agility Thundurus-T if I wanted to clean up weakened sand or weatherless teams... Jolteon really was one of the Pokemon who didn't deserve OU at all, it doesn't even hit very hard when you have monsters like Latios with its 130 SpA and Kyurem-B with mixed 170/120 stats. Aerodactyl and Crobat being weak to Thunderbolt is irrelevant, as both are even worse than Jolteon (and Aero always carries Focus Sash and can just OHKO it with EQ if we're going on this route). Sure, Jolteon has 130 base speed, but its coverage is pretty bad and needs rain to revenge kill reliably since Thunder is just so much stronger. I'd rather just use Weavile or a Choice Scarf mon.

Vaporeon also suffers of the problem of being outclassed. There are very few reasons to use it over Jellicent, who can completely wall Keldeo, has Taunt, Will-O-Wisp and the ability to check Starmie. I guess Vap has 110 Special Attack, but if you want to take full advantage of that, then it just won't tank hits reliably, unlike Choice Band Ferrothorn. I guess you can use it as a Hydration wall, which is probably its best set, but needs rain, can't do crap to Ferro and anything with a setup move just laughs at it unless it carries the very rare Roar.

The simple threat of Scald makes the special attack difference between Vaporeon and Alomomola pretty much irrelevant. Vaporeon doesn't get tools like Regenerator or Knock Off, either.

Years
  • You have just proven your ignorance to the beauty that is versatility. If everyone would think like that, the metagame would consist of just 1 team, maybe 10 Pokemon to change it up a bit.

You can say what you want, the facts are the facts. Jolteon is a decent OU Pokemon if used correctly. That is not to discuss, it is a simple fact, whether you like it or not doesn't matter.
    Of course, everyone has their own preferences and it is only fair, that you refrain from using any eeveelutions.

Jolteon actually has very good coverage, Electric itself hits pretty much everything for at least neutral. Everything else gets hit by HP [Ice] or Signal Beam. It might have a bad movepool, but it still has good type-coverage.
    Also, that there are Pokemon with more than 110 base SpAtk, does not mean, that 110 SpAtk is low. It still is very good.

You just don't like eeveelutions and try to prove them bad as hard as you can. I don't see any point in that. Eeveelutions are still viable choices. If you don't like them, that is perfectly fine. But don't make them look so bad, just because you don't like them.
    After all, it's about stats and movepools and those are not up to opinion, they are set in stone (well, the movepool choices are of course up to preference, but still).

PS: Ferrothorn too has it's counters. It's not invincible or anything. Just switch in Zapdos or Magnezone or Heatran or whatever you like, that can take some hits and has a strong fire move. Even Scizor is dangerous for a Choice Band Ferrothorn. Same goes for Jellicent of course: Celebi, Shaymin, Rotom-W, Tyranitar, etc.
    By listing counters of Eeveelutions or possible alternatives you really prove nothing, because everyone has it's counters (except for maybe Tauros in 1st gen).

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • OK let's go with multiquotes.

You have just proven your ignorance to the beauty that is versatility. If everyone would think like that, the metagame would consist of just 1 team, maybe 10 Pokemon to change it up a bit.

Versatility doesn't always mean a Pokemon is good, else Smeargle and Mew would dominate each and every single tier they are put in. Pure versatility doesn't mean jack, it has to be supported by the stats and typing a Pokemon has.

You can say what you want, the facts are the facts. Jolteon is a decent OU Pokemon if used correctly. That is not to discuss, it is a simple fact, whether you like it or not doesn't matter.
    Of course, everyone has their own preferences and it is only fair, that you refrain from using any eeveelutions.

Jolteon isn't good for reasons I already stated. Use it all you want, but that doesn't mean it's worth using on a serious team, until the day it gets Nasty Plot or something. And personally, I just don't see the ridiculous appeal of the eeveelutions. They are good for in-game and Sylveon can be used competitively to great effect, but Glaceon having higher raw usage than Normal Kyurem in OU, despite being completely and utterly outclassed, is something I just can't comprehend. There's Kyurem-B I guess but still:

| 221 | Glaceon | 0.24699% | 9871 | 0.247% | 6577 | 0.220% |
    | 302 | Kyurem | 0.10246% | 4095 | 0.102% | 2980 | 0.099% |

Jolteon actually has very good coverage, Electric itself hits pretty much everything for at least neutral. Everything else gets hit by HP [Ice] or Signal Beam. It might have a bad movepool, but it still has good type-coverage.
    Also, that there are Pokemon with more than 110 base SpAtk, does not mean, that 110 SpAtk is low. It still is very good.

Maybe if Jolteon had a very strong STAB, such as Victini with V-create or Exploud with Boomburst (which isn't worth using outside of TR), it'd probably be very strong. But let's just lay down and admit, Thunderbolt is not exactly a powerhouse. It's strong and reliable, yes. But not ridiculous. And its coverage is downright pathetic, it can't really 2HKO ground-types that aren't 4x weak to Ice. HP Ice having only 60 BP really bites Jolteon.

Actually it kinda means so. There's something called power creep... Thundurus-T has 145 SpA, Thundurus-I has 125, Mega Manectric has 135 and Raikou has 115. All of these mons also have better coverage options. Only Heliolisk has a worse SpA stat, but it has STAB Hyper Voice and insane coverage, making it useful for select teams.

You just don't like eeveelutions and try to prove them bad as hard as you can. I don't see any point in that. Eeveelutions are still viable choices. If you don't like them, that is perfectly fine. But don't make them look so bad, just because you don't like them.
    After all, it's about stats and movepools and those are not up to opinion, they are set in stone (well, the movepool choices are of course up to preference, but still).

The thing is that most eeveelutions are severely overrated. They are prime choices of most Pokemon players, and I can't stand that. Eeveelutions are great in-game, not competitively. I mean what the ****, Glaceon has more usage than Kyurem?
    Also, don't forget that Eeveelutions have severe movepool problems, especially offensively. Glaceon only has Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Water Pulse (which doesn't hit anything) and a Hidden Power of Choice. Espeon gets Grass Knot, Calm Mind and Shadow Ball? That's it?

PS: Ferrothorn too has it's counters. It's not invincible or anything. Just switch in Zapdos or Magnezone or Heatran or whatever you like, that can take some hits and has a strong fire move. Even Scizor is dangerous for a Choice Band Ferrothorn. Same goes for Jellicent of course: Celebi, Shaymin, Rotom-W, Tyranitar, etc.
    By listing counters of Eeveelutions or possible alternatives you really prove nothing, because everyone has it's counters (except for maybe Tauros in 1st gen).

Everything has its counters. Latios has its counters, just bring in Jirachi or Clefable. Also CB Ferro is supposed to catch Scizor using Bullet Punch and 3HKO it with Gyro Ball while laughing at loud. Also, most fire-types not named Heatran get 2HKOed. Tyranitar can get burned by WoW, Celebi is threatened by Shadow Ball and Shaymin is rather uncommon.

Choice Band Ferrothorn itself is pretty bad compared to defensive variants, but hey I compared it to offensive Vaporeon, a Pokemon which normally goes defensive.

Years
  • Versatility doesn't always mean a Pokemon is good, else Smeargle and Mew would dominate each and every single tier they are put in. Pure versatility doesn't mean jack, it has to be supported by the stats and typing a Pokemon has.

You are right, but still, I don't like min/maxing (meaning that you always look for the absolute best choices). I prefer to try and mix it up a bit. Even in reality the underdog oftentimes defeats the favorite. Sometimes even severly. So why not give other (still viable) Pokemon a chance instead of always taking the same over and over again?

Jolteon isn't good for reasons I already stated. Use it all you want, but that doesn't mean it's worth using on a serious team, until the day it gets Nasty Plot or something. And personally, I just don't see the ridiculous appeal of the eeveelutions. They are good for in-game and Sylveon can be used competitively to great effect, but Glaceon having higher raw usage than Normal Kyurem in OU, despite being completely and utterly outclassed, is something I just can't comprehend.

Actually, I rarely use any Eeveelutions. I mean, I have a team with one Eeveelution each (except for Espeon, so 5 different teams overall). But they are more for fun, to be honest and because I like the Pokemon in it and their strategies.
    I only stated what I did because of the reason I just mentioned (versatility). I don't like seeing the same things over and over again.

The thing is that most eeveelutions are severely overrated. They are prime choices of most Pokemon players, and I can't stand that. Eeveelutions are great in-game, not competitively. I mean what the ****, Glaceon has more usage than Kyurem?
    Also, don't forget that Eeveelutions have severe movepool problems, especially offensively. Glaceon only has Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, Water Pulse (which doesn't hit anything) and a Hidden Power of Choice. Espeon gets Grass Knot, Calm Mind and Shadow Ball? That's it?

I did not realize, that any Eeveelution got so much spotlight. I rarely encountered them in online battles.

Years
  • Ultimately it's just an opinion but I'd wager that more people respect a challenge and would rather use glaceon because it wasn't literally designed to be superior to everything of it's gen like kyrum.

Kind of like if superman and batman had to accomplish the same goal, I'd respect batman a lot more because he's just a guy who worked really hard to be quite effective where as superman was born vastly superior.

Sure u can still lose with legendaries but it should be a lot harder and a little embarrassing if you do. And if you don't.. So what.. As expected. Very unimpressive and less commendable Imo. I'd feel a lot more accomplished and deserving winning with a Jolteon than a Thundurus.

In fact I hear certain tournaments ban legendaries and some pseudo-legendaries anyway.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Ultimately it's just an opinion but I'd wager that more people respect a challenge and would rather use glaceon because it wasn't literally designed to be superior to everything of it's gen like kyrum.

Kind of like if superman and batman had to accomplish the same goal, I'd respect batman a lot more because he's just a guy who worked really hard to be quite effective where as superman was born vastly superior.

Sure u can still lose with legendaries but it should be a lot harder and a little embarrassing if you do. And if you don't.. So what.. As expected. Very unimpressive and less commendable Imo. I'd feel a lot more accomplished and deserving winning with a Jolteon than a Thundurus.

In fact I hear certain tournaments ban legendaries and some pseudo-legendaries anyway.

I wouldn't go as far as to compare this case with Batman v Superman. Batman, if you ask me, has his own "superpower" as well, and that is his brain. Of course he worked hard unlike Superman but you gotta admit there'd probably be no guy like Batman.

On the other hand all Pokemon have superpowers, including Eeveelutions and legendaries. Legendaries can be trained as well. You can use a less optimal set and feel prouder when you win.

Glaceon for example isn't even good in PU from what I hear, Kyurem is banned from RU and has decent viabilty in UU and OU. Using physical Kyurem and winning would be much crazier than using a simple Choice Specs set, because Kyurem has a ridiculously shallow physical movepool.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2016
    Naturally (see the namesake) I'm a huge eeveelutions fan :) I think that they're all very creative, balanced, and well-designed...and I think they do well to mirror the 五大 roots of Pokemon in a more expanded context. I can see where people might find them gimmicky/ repetitive though!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I know that not everyone will like the Eeveelutions.

My main reason for liking them - as I like my Pokemon based on my favorite animals - which are foxes and cats - and the Eeveelutions are a mix of the two so it's my main reason to love them. My favorite Pokemon at the moment is an Eeveelution, Flareon.
    Sylveon is a regular in my main Double Battles (it's in my signature)

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016

Eevee is 87.5% male as with starters and many others to make them "rarer," it is to make them harder to breed. Because the egg is always the species of its mother. Obviously they didn't have the 87.5% male to female ratio in mind when they made the effeminate Sylveon (of course, nothing wrong with male Sylveon.)

You've got to realize that canid-felid Pokemon, especially with larger eyes like the Eeveelutions, are going to appeal to younger kids. They are infantalized canine/felines, puppy- kittens! What kid doesn't want a puppy or kitten? There is also a simplicity in their designs (bar Sylveon,) that appeal to many. Nostalgia also contributes to their popularity for the older players; no matter what generation an eeveelution is released in, it is always sprouted from a generation 1 Pokemon.

It's nearly laughable that you clump all eeveelutions together as "outclassed." Pikachu is without a doubt the most popular Pokemon in the world, and it's certainly "outclassed," why aren't you adverse to Pikachu? By the way, most Eeveelutions have or have had competitive usefulness one way or another (gen 5 sun teams for Leafeon. 4th gen VGC for Glaceon. Jolteon was very useful competitively until X/Y. Espeon, Umbreon and Vaporeon have all had time being great competitive Pokemon, and can still be viable on certain teams today.) Sylveon is a quite a powerful Pokemon and is in no way "outclassed."

By the way, how are the Pokemon you compared to the eeveelutions to having their spotlight stolen? Everything you listed (maybe not Abomasnow) gets more usage than all eeveelutions except Sylveon. Not to mention they play different roles than what you compare them to. Glaceon is relatively useless and gets no usage, if it ever did it would probably be in a hale team under Abomasnow. Alakazam has been an incredibly popular common glass cannon since it's release, Espeon is a utility Pokemon. Honchkrow is a wallbreaker, Umbreon is a cleric. I can see some similarity in the usage of Clefable and Sylveon because their roles can overlap in a way, but they both get appropriate usage for what they can do.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I like all of the Eeveelutions with my favourite one being Sylveon.

The Eeveelutions are cute and can be used to put on Annuals, made as Plushies and so on.

The Eeveelutions are also great for showing the new versions of evolution.

Gen 1 - Stone Evolution (Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon)
    Gen 2 - Friendship Evolution/Day and Night (Espeon/Umbreon)
    Gen 4 - Area Evolutions (Leafeon, Glaceon)
    Gen 6 - Affection Evolution (Sylveon)

I can understand how fans of less spotlighted Pokemon could dislike the Eeveelutions but the same could be said of any popular Pokémon such as Lucario, Pikachu or Charizard.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years

• Eevee is 87.5% male as with starters and many others to make them "rarer," it is to make them harder to breed. Because the egg is always the species of its mother. Obviously they didn't have the 87.5% male to female ratio in mind when they made the effeminate Sylveon (of course, nothing wrong with male Sylveon.)

The point I was trying to make is that most players consider Eeveelutions as females even though they all have a 87.5% chance to be male. Only Sylveon really looks more like a girl so yeah.

You've got to realize that canid-felid Pokemon, especially with larger eyes like the Eeveelutions, are going to appeal to younger kids. They are infantalized canine/felines, puppy- kittens! What kid doesn't want a puppy or kitten? There is also a simplicity in their designs (bar Sylveon,) that appeal to many. Nostalgia also contributes to their popularity for the older players; no matter what generation an eeveelution is released in, it is always sprouted from a generation 1 Pokemon.

Pokemon such as Growlithe and Meowstic don't really seem to appeal tbh. Also personally I like large dogs/cats much more than puppies or kittens. And I know many other kids which do that. Electrode and Dugtrio aren't popular at all, so I don't see why the simplicity in their designs would be a good reason.

It's nearly laughable that you clump all eeveelutions together as "outclassed." Pikachu is without a doubt the most popular Pokemon in the world, and it's certainly "outclassed," why aren't you adverse to Pikachu?

Pikachu is popular for other reasons, it's the mascot Pokemon and even though I would like it to dissappear forever from the main cast, I'm still fine with it.

By the way, most Eeveelutions have or have had competitive usefulness one way or another (gen 5 sun teams for Leafeon. 4th gen VGC for Glaceon. Jolteon was very useful competitively until X/Y. Espeon, Umbreon and Vaporeon have all had time being great competitive Pokemon, and can still be viable on certain teams today.) Sylveon is a quite a powerful Pokemon and is in no way "outclassed."

miss-the-point2.jpg

By the way, how are the Pokemon you compared to the eeveelutions to having their spotlight stolen? Everything you listed (maybe not Abomasnow) gets more usage than all eeveelutions except Sylveon. Not to mention they play different roles than what you compare them to. Glaceon is relatively useless and gets no usage, if it ever did it would probably be in a hale team under Abomasnow. Alakazam has been an incredibly popular common glass cannon since it's release, Espeon is a utility Pokemon. Honchkrow is a wallbreaker, Umbreon is a cleric. I can see some similarity in the usage of Clefable and Sylveon because their roles can overlap in a way, but they both get appropriate usage for what they can do.

Actually, according to the Smogon unweighted usage stats (basically low ladder plays a big factor), only Alakazam has a higher usage than any eeveelution. Glaceon is indeed useless, Alakazam had lower usage than Espeon in XY (not ORAS), Honchkrow has way lower usage than Umbreon even now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2016
    The point I was trying to make is that most players consider Eeveelutions as females even though they all have a 87.5% chance to be male. Only Sylveon really looks more like a girl so yeah.

Pokemon such as Growlithe and Meowstic don't really seem to appeal tbh. Also personally I like large dogs/cats much more than puppies or kittens. And I know many other kids which do that. Electrode and Dugtrio aren't popular at all, so I don't see why the simplicity in their designs would be a good reason.

Pikachu is popular for other reasons, it's the mascot Pokemon and even though I would like it to dissappear forever from the main cast, I'm still fine with it.

miss-the-point2.jpg

Actually, according to the Smogon unweighted usage stats (basically low ladder plays a big factor), only Alakazam has a higher usage than any eeveelution. Glaceon is indeed useless, Alakazam had lower usage than Espeon in XY (not ORAS), Honchkrow has way lower usage than Umbreon even now.
    Well, I wouldn't really have statistics to prove Growlithe is a popular Pokemon among kids, but then I wouldn't for eevelutions either. I think in the very least, when ign made a poll about the most favorite Pokemon, Arcanine was like number 12? But thats incredibly subjective.

http://sweepercalc.com/stats/uu.html
    http://sweepercalc.com/stats/

Honchkrow gets more usage than Umbreon within their rightful tier. It looks like Umbreon has more usage in OU than Honchkrow, but Umbreon might be better able to respond to certain threats in OU than Honchkrow. Or perhaps because Honchkrow's role is a physically offensive bird, people don't think it's worth a slot when they have Staraptor and Talonflame available. I'm not sure. Either way, neither of them get significant use in Smogon OU (both under 3.4%)

I don't know where to find official usage stats from X/Y time, but here is a thread where someone copy and pasted usage stats from X/Y time. Presumably they didn't didn't mess around with the stats.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67726044

As you can see, Alakazam has more usage than Espeon. Howeve, the data is probably flawed because it looks like it's pre-Pokebank. But I really don't think the availability of even more solid OU Pokemon made the usage of Espeon go up (maybe the existence of Ferrothorn did, but I still really doubt that.)

As far as I can tell from data I can find, and as far as I can remember back to X/Y OU, Espeon didn't have excessive use and certainly not more than Alakazam.
    But even if it did they both fill completely different roles and should not be compared. It's true you likely wouldn't see both of them on the same team, but it's not an impossibility.

I guess I can't sit here and convince you they're not unjustly overrated or overused competitively by any other way than telling you to look at usage stats. The only Pokemon that are OU by Smogon standards are ones that have more than 3.4% usage in the OU metagame. Only one eeveelution falls into that criteria, and it deserves to be there.

Eeveelutions have an enormous non-competitive fanbase. But they don't get unfair usage in competitive battling. Sylveon is the only eeveelution that gets a notable amount of usage, and it deserves that usage. You're just going to have to get used to the fanbase, people like their designs and whether you think they are generic or unoriginal is a subjective and quite obviously not an often shared opinion.

Sorry the designs you like don't have a wider fanbase than eeveelutions. S'probably not gonna change.

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ehh, thought post time.

first of all, they just look like your average cookie-cutter fox/cat, there seems to be nothing special about eevee or its evolutions. eevee is cute, but it lacks any form of originality, unlike something such as ninetales, snivy or conkeldurr. its evolutions are cute, but again, no originality. this means they steal all the spotlight from pokemon that deserve more love, such as abomasnow (glaceon), alakazam (espeon), honchkrow (umbreon) or clefable (sylveon).
    This is kinda the point with Eevee: All the Eeveelutions are just Eevee adapting to a certain type. Would it make sense that Eevee evolves into a bird? Of course not. It's pretty clear that Vaporeon turns into a better swimmer, Jolteon adapts to the fast Electric archetype, and Espeon fits into the powerful Psychic archetype. I think having a well-implemented motif can count as creativity.

second, eeveelutions are decent, but they are outclassed. they have poor movepools, gamefreak seems to lazily rearrange their stats and call it a day. like i'd never use glaceon over weavile or kyurem, or vaporeon over blastoise. like why would i only benefit from 130 special attack and meh speed/bulk when i can get excellent speed, swords dance and dark stab (weavile) or get stab draco meteor, moves such as earth power and focus blast, and roost (kyurem)? besides sylveon, which has pixilate hyper voice, eeveelutions are ridiculously outclassed both in-game and competitively.

Competitvely:
    I like Samurott. However, Samurott is NU. So does that mean I can't like Samurott anymore? Or Archeops? Or Sandslash?
    What I'm saying is that competitive viability shouldn't affect why a Pokemon shouldn't be liked. Not everyone plays Pokemon for competitve purposes, it shouldn't affect everyone.

Ingame, though:
    You mention Alakazam. And you also say,
    (and pls give me a break with trades and crap)

That's actually a huge issue, in that in order to get an Alakazam, you have to catch an Abra, which can Teleport out of battle, somehow get it to level 16 without having a attack move (unless you want to waste precious TMs before generation 5), and get someone not only trade with you to evolve the Kadabra, but to give it back afterwards. And even Alakazam has its faults: its defenses are pretty low, and if it doesn't OHKO something, it risks being OHKOed back.

So why go to all that trouble when someone gives me a free Eevee to use?
    Up until recent generations, there would be people that would just give them to you. No going out on a goose chase, looking for that rare wild. No tossing balls endlessly. It's just sitting there, waiting to be found in RBY, GSC, FRLG, Platinum, and HGSS.

Their stats are relatively high for something that's obtained usually before the third or fourth gym. 525 is comparable to even some of the starters. And bar Glaceon, which always has some ridiculous location for evolution for some reason, Eevee is evolved relatively quick upon obtainment. Sure, you might need lots of walking/vitamins for Espeon and Umbreon, but they technically can be obtained soon after receiving it (and you don't even need friends to do it). And their stats make them worth it: in fact, Espeon has a higher BST than Alakazam.

It's also notable that many things that would otherwise outshine the Eeveelutions are available later, when they may be a pain to bring up to the rest of your team. in RBY, Vaporeon's available before the Super Rod's available. Jolteon's available before the Power Plant, before Electabuzz and Zapdos. While Flabebe's available before you can get an Eevee, the wait for a Shiny Stone for Florges (while sticking with the Inferior Floette) makes Sylveon a better option a bit earlier. Even if they arrive around the same level, they won't have as many EVs as their Eeveelution competition (even in the Floette example, as Sylveon is better battler than Floette, meaning it will likely get more experience/EVs due to experiencing more battles).

This makes the Eeveelutions very good Pokemon to pick up and place on your team. Thing is? If you replay the game, you can use Eevee again, even with a different team, because it's so darn versatile. Likewise, due to versatility, Eevee is likely to find a space on most teams where it can fulfill a specific role, so it your team needs another member, it can be an issue of "just add Eevee". This makes it a Pokemon people want to use over and play around with, which people like it.
    Basically what I'm getting at here is it's actually pretty easy to use the Eeveelutions ingame (yes, even Flareon: it had 110 special attack due to the Special stat in RBY), especially in self-induced challenges like Nuzlockes, as Eevee usually doesn't take up an area's catch.

and third, and most of all, they are EXTREMELY overrated, and most of them are considered female by fans, even though they all have a 87.5% chance to be male lol. i get eevee is marketable and all, but so is mewtwo.

I don't see why not to like them. They have their motif, which is pretty unique among Pokemon, and they are pretty cute, which means that fans will gobble up what merchandise is thrown out. That's a plus for Game Freak. Sure, Mewtwo is marketable, but probably to a slightly different audience.
    I don't really see why the gender matters. At all.

Eevee and its evolutions might be a bit overrated. But it shouldn't be hard to figure out why: it's a unique concept, it's adorable, and actually not too awful when it comes to battling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back