• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who still catches shinies the old fashion way?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    I do not know anything about cloning nor do I want to know personally. I have seen that a lot of people clone pokemon somehow. I'm assuming these people clone shiny pokemon as we'll. This post isn't about calling out people that clone pokemon ,or talking trash about them. I believe personally what you do is you're own business, and it's not my right to judge. So with that being said who still catches shiny pokemon the honest way? The reason I made this post is because I don't see how you could love a cloned pokemon like you would one you caught in the wild. After hours of sweat and tears trying to find a shiny. I almost beileve the journey in getting a shiny is more important then actually having a shiny. I'm sure all of us will remember the first time we caught a glimpse of a shiny in the wild, and how our heart pounded as we threw a pokeball at it. Your thoughts everyone ? Please no negativity here :)

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    That's why you save the original for yourself, and trade the clone away haha. But it becomes confusing because I don't believe there's a discernible difference between a regular and a clone.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    I know you can't tell the difference in a clone from a real one. I guess my point was how it felt so much better catching one after hours of work rather then just get one because your friend cloned one in a minute lol. But I do see what you're saying as we'll haha :P

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Ofcourse I still catch my Shinies in a legit way ^_^ I don't see the point in cloning your Pokemon, and I totally agree, an obtained Shiny you worked really hard for to get, means obviously more than a cloned Pokemon... Therefore, I would be way more attached to my own Shiny Pokemon I obtained legitimately and worked really hard for than just a "rip-off" clone.

I have over 64 shinies in my Pokemon X game (and still hunting ofcourse) and they all mean much to me, I even remember catching my very first shiny in Pokemon X and my very-first Shiny ever in Pokemon Gold (Pidgey). Even now I still get that "mini-heart-attack feeling" when I encounter one, it's awesone :3
    Why is it fun to clone or rewarding? I really don't know, what I do think is people scamming everyone (come on, GTS must be crammed with cloned/Powersaves shinies by now...) by cloning or getting shinies from Powersaves is that they are just spoiled, ruin the game for themselves and are kinda pathetic for doing so because they just don't want to wait and have the patience, no offense :3

Just play the game! It's so much more fun if you worked hard for something and earned it, I also see it as a way to explore some more deeper and complex aspects of the game, that's more fun for me too as a somewhat 'older' Pokemon player (than the average kid) :)

So, I just don't want to go there, I'm a dedicated Pokemon-game-player for over 10 years now, I always did everything on my own, and it's still great fun! Just like it was when I was a kid back then when I discoverd Pokemon and the games, I don't want to loose those memories and feelings :3 ;)

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I think we have a lot of people here who understand that cloning is not really a source of obtaining shinies, and a lot of them do catch them with legit methods. I get too bored too easily to really go out and search for shinies, so I think some of the other methods like the Masuda Method are still legit. It's just faster, but it's really a better strategy.

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Well i do have lots of shinies but all of them are clones from trades cause to be honest,not once in my ENTIRE pokemon experience have i ever encountered/fished or hatched a shiny :/

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I've caught, nearly, all of my shiny Pokemon. It's so satisfying to encounter one, I wouldn't want to have tons of hacked shiny Pokemon.

I probably have 4-5 shiny Pokemon from other people that aren't "legit" (with 2 more that are - Masuda Method). Two of them are legendary Pokemon, and the others are Pokemon I got from a holiday event here on PC. The holiday Pokemon are probably legit (not counting Treecko) since their IVs are junk.

Considering that my Shiny Charm seems to be backfiring on me (and lowering my chances to encounter a shiny Pokemon, instead of improving them), I am leaning ever closer to the Dark Side.

Years
  • I still catch shinies the typical way, i've obtained a couple on my own in Gen VI between finding and an MM. But I don't mind people cloning them if they just want other people to share their enjoyment. I however haven't successfully cloned a Pokémon in Gen VI myself. MM, chaining and the like aren't anything not old fashioned, since they're legit. I'll still try for stuff using those methods if I want to.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I still find shiny the old-fashioned way. I've had my fair share of shiny encounters without even trying, tbh.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    Ofcourse I still catch my Shinies in a legit way ^_^ I don't see the point in cloning your Pokemon, and I totally agree, an obtained Shiny you worked really hard for to get, means obviously more than a cloned Pokemon... Therefore, I would be way more attached to my own Shiny Pokemon I obtained legitimately and worked really hard for than just a "rip-off" clone.

I have over 64 shinies in my Pokemon X game (and still hunting ofcourse) and they all mean much to me, I even remember catching my very first shiny in Pokemon X and my very-first Shiny ever in Pokemon Gold (Pidgey). Even now I still get that "mini-heart-attack feeling" when I encounter one, it's awesone :3
    Why is it fun to clone or rewarding? I really don't know, what I do think is people scamming everyone (come on, GTS must be crammed with cloned/Powersaves shinies by now...) by cloning or getting shinies from Powersaves is that they are just spoiled, ruin the game for themselves and are kinda pathetic for doing so because they just don't want to wait and have the patience, no offense :3

Just play the game! It's so much more fun if you worked hard for something and earned it, I also see it as a way to explore some more deeper and complex aspects of the game, that's more fun for me too as a somewhat 'older' Pokemon player (than the average kid) :)

So, I just don't want to go there, I'm a dedicated Pokemon-game-player for over 10 years now, I always did everything on my own, and it's still great fun! Just like it was when I was a kid back then when I discoverd Pokemon and the games, I don't want to loose those memories and feelings :3 ;)

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who kinda hates cloned pokemon. I'm sure we all have some from wonder trade or GTS . But all my shinies I've caught myself it's only 6 but I'm extremely proud of those 6 lol. I'm glad I made this post I love hearing everyone's stories and views! :)
    I've never been lucky to randomly find a shiny. Everytime I've caught one I was looking for it spending hours on end and many cans of Mtn Dew later. Lol

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • You say you're not calling people who clone out, but you're calling us dishonest for cloning the Pokemon instead of getting them ourselves. Me, being a Pokemon collector, I have to clone my Pokemon to keep my stock up. I didn't somehow happen to get 6 boxes of flawless Kalos bred shinies and over 10 boxes of events on Gen V not cloning/accepting cloned Pokemon. Personally, with me being a full-time college student and working 20 or so hours a week, I don't have time to sit around on Pokemon looking for shiny Pokemon.. Or even playing Pokemon much for that matter.

I don't understand why your love for a Pokemon would be any different if it's cloned, or not having your OT. Honestly I don't see why you'd love a Pokemon either way, it's just a game.

Years
  • You say you're not calling people who clone out, but you're calling us dishonest for cloning the Pokemon instead of getting them ourselves. Me, being a Pokemon collector, I have to clone my Pokemon to keep my stock up. I didn't somehow happen to get 6 boxes of flawless Kalos bred shinies and over 10 boxes of events on Gen V not cloning/accepting cloned Pokemon. Personally, with me being a full-time college student and working 20 or so hours a week, I don't have time to sit around on Pokemon looking for shiny Pokemon.. Or even playing Pokemon much for that matter.

I don't understand why your love for a Pokemon would be any different if it's cloned, or not having your OT. Honestly I don't see why you'd love a Pokemon either way, it's just a game.

It is just a game, but then why go through the trouble of either of the methods of cloning ( tbh I only know of two methods ). I have clones I got in trades... you know if your smart... someone trading you a shiny lvl100 modest tornadus... yep. Its way more fun just running into one on accident. Its probably one of the only moments in a pokemon game that will get your heart racing a little.

Years
  • Umm cloning...tsk that's a huge grey zone dude. For me, it's up to people to clone their pokes or not. The problem is when they want to give you clones instead of the "real" ones, and for people that don't clone this kinda feels like a cheap strategy or soemthing like that. I mean, I give you my hard earned shiny X that took me over 800 eggs(or 2 days of hunting, whatever) for your shiny Y that you just cloned? That's when it becomes a problem. Another issue with cloning is the fact that it can be done ad infinitum, so a clone traded can become clones and those can be cloned too and the "market" XD ends up filled with the same shiny pokeand many times OT didnt want it to become a public matter, but well those are the risks of cloning. Oh and to answer the question , I catch them in legit way (cuz chain fishing isnt old-fashioned). I still reember my very first shiny back in Gold when I didnt even know that was something special, sadly I didnt have pokeballs and it ended up faited :/.

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    You say you're not calling people who clone out, but you're calling us dishonest for cloning the Pokemon instead of getting them ourselves. Me, being a Pokemon collector, I have to clone my Pokemon to keep my stock up. I didn't somehow happen to get 6 boxes of flawless Kalos bred shinies and over 10 boxes of events on Gen V not cloning/accepting cloned Pokemon. Personally, with me being a full-time college student and working 20 or so hours a week, I don't have time to sit around on Pokemon looking for shiny Pokemon.. Or even playing Pokemon much for that matter.

No I was not calling anyone out. If you read my post you would see that I said it's not my right to judge people who do it and I don't. I could care less if you get offended. I don't do it personally and could care less if you do it. Congratulations welcome to the real world . Full time college student that works I'm sure that's half of us so don't try talk down to me make look less of a person. Take this negativity some where else. I'm sorry for the rant thank you and have a nice night.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • It's better to work towards a goal than take the work out of the whole thing imo, but I don't see what's wrong with cloning. Sure, it seems illegitimate, but it's easier and takes less work. Along with that, you have a copy to give to people instead of your original, so it takes pressure off you in a sense.

I still prefer finding them either randomly or a la Poke Radar, but cloning isn't exactly horrible.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't use any special method for catching shinies because to me they aren't important. If I find one that's great but if not oh well. Though I might see it as a bigger deal if I'd have caught/hatched more. I caught a shiny Patrat in Pokemon White and a shiny Hoothoot in HeartGold and that's it besides scripted pokemon :I

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    I have never cloned Pokemon, never have and never will. It goes against my personal mantra. A cloned/hacked Pokemon does not feel genuine or special to me.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • No I was not calling anyone out. If you read my post you would see that I said it's not my right to judge people who do it and I don't. I could care less if you get offended. I don't do it personally and could care less if you do it. Congratulations welcome to the real world . Full time college student that works I'm sure that's half of us so don't try talk down to me make look less of a person. Take this negativity some where else. I'm sorry for the rant thank you and have a nice night.

You completely ignore all the points I made explaining why cloning is a completely legit way of obtaining Pokemon and instead decide to flame me when I hadn't flamed you at all in my post. But, I guess that's the real world. When someone disagrees with you, you have to resort to trolling and flaming to try and act all hard instead of actually addressing the points they make.

@scprepschool: Why go through the trouble of cloning? So I can spread the joy of the flawless shinies I've obtained with others, in return for some of their flawless shnies. It takes me about 2-3 mins and I can easily have multiple boxes of Pokemon cloned. I am a collector, I'm not going to be able to expand my collection at all unless I clone/accept clones.

Back