• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who thinks certain Pokemon should only be one gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Ben

Super Trainer
    Years
    Just answer what's above. I think Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir should only be female, because they look more female than male.

I also think Chansey/Blissey should only be female, unless they already are (I don't really catch them).

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    I think the only reason Ralts line may have been male in the first place is so you could pass on special moves through breeding (they still could've made it 75% F 25% M, y'know?). For the most part though, whenever you see them they're almost always associated as females, mainly fan art.

Cyclops

Lugia Master
    Years
    I would really have liked for Mr. Mime to be purely male, but in Japan it's name doesn't indicate a gender, so instead we get a Mr. Miss situation. I think Milotic should only be female, cause it just doesn't look like the type of Pok?mon you'd expect to see a male of (perhaps it's a bit sexist, but it's the truth). But that'd mean all Feebas have to be female too. However few there are...

Years
    I think that ALL pokemon should have a male and female gender, because if people are like me they only catch pokemon according to their own gender; a male only catches male pokemon and a female only catches female pokemon.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    Here's a list of the Pokemon that are always one gender.

Always male: Nidoran (m), Nidorino, Nidoking, Tyrogue, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Hitmontop, Tauros, Volbeat
    Always female: Nidoran (f), Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Chansey, Blissey, Kangaskhan, Smoochum, Jynx, Illumise, Miltank

My question is, especially to the always male line, is how did they breed before Ditto came along?

Kurai Osoro

The DarkFire Hacker
    Years
    I guess Tyrogue was adopted...

Back on topic: I think legendaries, other than Lati@s, should have genders. Here's a list of them-

Mewtwo: Male
    Mew: Female
    Celebi: Female
    Moltres: Male
    Articuno: Female
    Zapdos: 50% of both
    Entei: Male
    Suicune: Female
    Raikou: Gold/Silver-Female//Crystal-Male (It looks different in Crystal)
    Ho-oh: Male
    Lugia: Female
    Rayquaza: Male
    Jirachi: 50% of both
    Groudon: Male
    Kyogre: 50% of both

Deoxys and the Regi's should be left Unknown.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The males only could breed with Ditto, or a female version of it's type, and the baby being male. So... If a Hitmonlee mated with a Jynx, if the baby was male - it'd be Hitmonlee, but if the baby was female, it'd be Smoochum. In Gold and Silver - the Abra family were all male as well. It's weird :/

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    That's not true, in GSC the Abra family were 75% male. I was also under the impression Eevee were always male as well, but they have the same odds as a starter (1 in 8 chance) of being female.

And don't forget that if you breed, the female determines the type that comes out the egg. So, breeding a Hitmonlee with Jynx, as in your example, would just make a Smoochum. It makes you wonder where all the female Hitmons went in the first place - after all, they can have female Machamp.

James3

That better not be poo!
    Years
    I think Clefairy & family should be female only

and the geodude and onix familes should be male only

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Obviously, some of us has never seen a male spider, or a female bee... males don't necessarily to be tough looking. The male spider is puny and weak, even useless. The female bee dominates over the males completely, for bees have a society that's pretty much all female.

The gender's just fine with me... though I personally will even throw Kangaskan, Chansey family and Tyrogue evolutions into the male/female pile... it's just sexist...

For females can be tough and strong. And males can be so vulnerable at times...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Toothache said:
    And don't forget that if you breed, the female determines the type that comes out the egg. So, breeding a Hitmonlee with Jynx, as in your example, would just make a Smoochum. It makes you wonder where all the female Hitmons went in the first place - after all, they can have female Machamp.
    Err... I read that if it was like an Illumise/Volbeat breeding ting of the time. In cases where one of the parents was gender specific, it would be the gender of the child which would determine the actual Pokemon. I remember this works because I did a Hitmonlee and a Jynx to get some more Tyrogue. I got 2 Smoochums before I got my first Tyrogue. Also - how could Abra and co get eggs moves of the time? I remember my Jynx teaching Ice Punch to the newly hatched Abra when it came out. ^_^

Trainer Ben

Super Trainer
    Years
    The whole breeding thing with the Hitmon pokemon and Jynx is too confusing for me, which is why I don't raise them.

Plus, I know that males don't have to be tough looking, but it's just that some Pokemon look more like they should be female, like Bellosom or Gardevoir. I never meant for this to be sexist, but it's just a question i've been wanting to ask.

I know this is off topic, but does anyone know if there is any Pokemon that Gardevoir can breed with? I can't find anyone besides Castform.

cranium

Lv 100 Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    not sure if these have already been said but

mr mime = male
    drowzee = male
    snorlax = male
    jigglypuff = female
    chansey = female
    belossom = female

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    On the whole Bellossom female thing, that would mean that all Oddish, Gloom and Vileplume would have to be female as well. Somehow, I don't think Oddish would be best sutied to having only the one gender...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back