• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who was the best rival?

Years
    Yeah someone's probably done this already but I have always wondered who the best rival in the pokemon series was so just give your thought's.

G/S/C rival (in my opinion) was the most badass so he was alway's my favourite.
    r/b/y rival is joint second with d/p/p rival because although r/b/y ended up being the champion d/p/p reminds of me for some reason
    and I didnt like r/s/e rival because well they were way too freindly to be considered a rival.
    (Sorry if you disagree)

Reactions: .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2011
    I think Blue/Gary is the best rival easily. He journeys out with you and is powerful throughout the entire game, plus his cocky personality makes him actually seem like one of your most dreaded opponents. Silver is also good, but I don't find him to be as likeable. May/Brendan were absolutely terrible representations of rivals who gave you items and just became absolute pushovers later in the game. Pearl is an improvement for the fact that he's a bit more like Blue, but still clicks oddly to me, as he's basically just an arrogant friend rather than an actual rival imo.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Interesting question. Personally, I'd have to say GSC's because of this:

G/S/C rival (in my opinion) was the most badass

Thief who stole his starter, shoves you out of the way in the beginning, is cold to his Pokémon early on, actually seems evil, and shows character growth when he turns around and starts to realize the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP? Yes, please.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    definitely G/S/C like its been said he's the only one rival (or character in general in the games) that has any development

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Wouldn't this be better as a poll? :/

RBY's in Garry/Blue was decent IMO - cocky guy who actually seemed like a rival.

RSE's was the worst for me. They were just... bland. The constant item-giving seemed a bit overdone for me as well from htme. They didn't continue throughout the whole journey either, only last battling you at Lilycove, and then disappearing until they turn up at the end to give you 'advise' on beating the Champion. Never mind that you've beaten them with ease beforehand. And nevermind that you've just beaten the champion as well. (This occuring when you've beaten the champion for the 50th time or what-not doesn't help matters either).

Wally... was kinda 'meh' for me - only two battles really, although it was nice to seem him move from shy, un-confident kid to a developed character... to an extent. :/

DP's was better at least... mainly due to comedy relief. I find a guy who seemingly lives on coffee and runs around all the time more interesting than May/Brendan at least. Plus his theme music was pure win.

Prof. Rowan's assistant however was... meh. Didn't due much, and doing double battles with them was a bit annoying (a partner who does no/weak attacks is annoying). You don't ever battle them either.

The best rival for me though is- oh wait, a post that covers it:
    Interesting question. Personally, I'd have to say GSC's because of this:

Thief who stole his starter, shoves you out of the way in the beginning, is cold to his Pokémon early on, actually seems evil, and shows character growth when he turns around and starts to realize the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP? Yes, please.
    Yeah, hands down the best for me. Oh, and if you factor in the revelation from FR/LG that this guy is quite possibly Giovanni's SON... oh yeah.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    G/S/C rival, no contest.

Gary was awesome in R/B/Y, but there's no way to compete with a guy who steals his starter and is a complete and total snooty jerk to you the whole time. (Though the argument could be made that Gary was the same way, aside from the thievery, they just had different attitudes to me.)

As for the R/S/E and D/P/Plat. rivals, they just didn't have the same hatred factor that you got from the first two.

Years
    Gary gets the nostalgia points, since he was your first rival and pretty cool anyways. Plus him being in the anime series helped out a bit, since there were times when he actually sucked it up and helped Ash.

But I guess I would agree with what everyone is saying about the guy from GSC. It's kind of cool how he starts out being a total dick, and by the end he has a Crobat, which you can only get if it likes you, meaning he's a nice guy.

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    The First generation rival seemed the most like an actual rival and

His theme music was off-da charts awesome!!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2009
    Pokemon Red,Blue,Green does Gary oak appears when your pokemon are beat up and out of shape!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    G/S/C Definitely at 1st I hated his personality but then he changed so yeah G/S/C...

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    The only two that felt like rivals were the R/B/Y [FR/LG] rivals and G/S/C rivals.
    In the more recent games, Wally in R/S/E is probably the best because he had a really well raised team.

And I always hated the 'Smell ya later' line that Gary can't seem to drop.

GGreenBass

Previously Teh_Lemon
    Years
    • NO
    • Seen Feb 1, 2009
    Definitely felt Gary was the best. He was much more classic and memorable, and never really 'turned around' which is what lead to his downfall. While Silver was even more bad than Gary he ultimately warped and wasn't as memorable. May/Brenden were too... innocent I guess and rival just didn't seem to cut it. Wally was actually almost better because he becomes so powerful later on, but he was still annoying thought. While the D/P rival may be pretty unique (and memorable), he doesn't have the same spark Gary had, and didn't stand out enough. Dawn/Lucas I don't consider rivals because they were shown so minimally, however I think they're good simply because they served their purpose well as a sub-rival.

thatrabidfangirl

*sweatdrops*
    Years
    Rival is a bad word for them... they're kind of an aggressive aquaintance (unless they're Brendan/May). I mean, how can someone you meet once and then battle occasionally be a 'rival'? Family friend, more.
    I like Jun, in case anybody was wondering. I used to not care, but I've been corrupted.

Last edited:
    Years
    Well Gary has supposedly been your rival since you were young in RBY. I think Oak says that at the beginning of the game.

But ya, the guy from GSC is just a big meanie and decides he's going to meet up with you every now and then and talk shit.

Back