• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who's Your Favourite Main Character?

Who's Your Favourite Anime Main Character?

• Total voters

Arumus

Insert user title here..
Years
  • Would you not consider Pikachu a main character? He's more famous than Ash and probably been in more episodes. Besides, out of the list for me it's Tracey. Mainly because he wasn't around long enough to eventually become stale and annoy people like Brock.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Ash, definately.

He's the only reason I still watch the show - I wan't to find out what eventually happens to him and to see if ever becomes a Pokemon master but when you see him completely forget everything, including the basics..... well it gets a bit depressing. Sounds cringeworthy but I feel like I have an emotional attachement with him, having grown up and ironically started watching the anime at the same age that Ash left for his Journey (age 10) I feel like I have to find out what happens to the guy.

I know he gets a lot of stick for becoming a noob at the start of every region but as has been established that's more due to the writers rather then his own charachter traits. Everyone's remarked on how it makes no logical sense that he should forget everything and be so weak.

Also with regards to him getting stick for releasing some of is best pokemon - It's all too easy to say that he's an idiot for releasing some of his best Pokemon especially considering the fact that the show is not real and many of us haven't been in the same situations as him. The fact of the matter is that all of the Pokemon he's had to let go (with the possible exception of Primeape) have been the morally right thing to do. I think it shows a certain strength of character that he's able to do the right thing even if it's at an overall cost to him.

He's got some great battle techniques and great improvisational skills. He often comes up with great moves to defeat the opponent midway through battle. I mean you don't win the Orange Island trophy, The Battle Frontier and come top 8 in Hoean and Johto by being a moron. Considering the fact that he's still technically a kid I think that's a terrific achievement.

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • I know he gets a lot of stick for becoming a noob at the start of every region but as has been established that's more due to the writers rather then his own charachter traits. Everyone's remarked on how it makes no logical sense that he should forget everything and be so weak.

I give him stick because he's boring. I don't hate him, or dislike him. However, he's so overrated. Of course it makes no logical sense, but still, that's a dumb reason to hate on him. "HIS WRITERS MAKE HIM ILLOGICAL SO DAMN YOU ASH!!!" Totally dumb.

He's got some great battle techniques and great improvisational skills. He often comes up with great moves to defeat the opponent midway through battle. I mean you don't win the Orange Island trophy, The Battle Frontier and come top 8 in Hoean and Johto by being a moron. Considering the fact that he's still technically a kid I think that's a terrific achievement.

Yeah, but he's illogical by no fault of his own, so that automatically makes him crap. Duh! -___- Some people, honestly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2013
    I definitely like Brock. He's a veritable font of knowledge and usually is fairly level headed unless it pertains to women.

Xino

Banned
    Years
  • Iris, Come on she is a girl but she is one with nature. It is a rare sight to see xD

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2011
    I'd have to say my absolute favorite is Gary Oak.

In my opinion, he's really the strongest trainer in the entire anime. In a world where justice reigned supreme, Gary would be the star of the anime, not Ash. I like him waaaay more than Ash for three reasons:

1. He actually matures. Unlike Ash, who does show growth as a trainer, Gary shows growth as a trainer and a person. As time went by, he actually changed. In the beginning he was stuck up, conceited, arrogant, and somewhat mean to Ash. (He was still pretty cool, though.) But as time went by in the anime, he matured, grew more humble, and a lot stronger as a trainer. He still had a bit of an arrogant streak in him though, which made him all the more appealing. Ash's character never changes or grows, which make him boring and so very same ol', same ol'. Gary's character is more realistic and interesting, as he doesn't stop maturing.

2. He's very intelligent. In the beginning before he faced the first Pokemon League in Kanto, he was smart enough to study gym leaders and their habits so he could know which pokemon to use against them. Professor Oak was extremely impressed, pleased, and proud by this. I remember his words "Excellent strategy! That's my grandson! ^^" He's a great strategist. He's quick on his feet and knows how to use what he's learned. And he learns a LOT. That's what's going to make him an awesome researcher.

3. He's powerful as a trainer. He has only lost one battle against Ash (in the Johto league), and Ash very barely won that one. In all the other battles he's had with Ash, he soundly trounced his rival with ease. Even as a researcher he's still an extremely powerful trainer. His brand new Electovire ripped Ash's Pikachu a new one. Not bad, seeing as how Pikachu is grossly overpowered and Ash's starter at that. And it was thanks to Gary Ash was able to help train his Gliscor, once again showing Gary's superior abilities as a trainer. And don't even get me started on how awesome sauce his Umbreon is. ^^

My second favorite character would have to be Paul. He's harsh and tough on his Pokemon, but he also works hard and trains harder. His mindset is one of a warrior, and I like that about him. He reminds me of Silver for a lot of reasons.

P.S.: How come Silver has never made an appearance in the anime???? :(

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years

• I give him stick because he's boring. I don't hate him, or dislike him. However, he's so overrated.

I VOTED ASH. Hahaha.
    Who's Your Favourite Main Character?

I've always liked Ash. He's such an innocent kid, he's practically got the stamina and strength of superheroes (see: Movies), he battles with his Pikachu (YES), plus he battles well (despite his lack of knowledge) and he doesn't win all the time (only in places that matter).

But that's what some people hate that about him, I know.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • Well since Jessie and James aren't in the poll (sadness) I'm going with May. I don't even know why I like her so much, I just do. I also really liked Brock and right now Cilan, but I only voted for May in the poll.

However if Jessie and James were on there, James would be my favourite character with Jessie after him.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'm loving these poll results. Ash is on top, which is what I expected, with Cilan not far behind. Loving him as much as I do, I still didn't expect him to be this popular!

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Brocks my favorite and iris is my least favorite

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    WHY ISN'T THERE SNORLAX?
    I would choose Meowth, (That's Right!) but Meowth isn't there so I picked Brock.
    I love Brock's knowledge of all the Nurse Joys in the entire Pokemon Universe and his reaction towards all kinds of woman he like. I also love his asian eyes. (I am Asian with his Asian eyes. I am serious here.)

Back