• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why both?

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
Years
  • I'm only getting one game; Pokémon SoulSilver. I see no point on going through the same game on both games no matter how much fun they are. And if i really want the exclusives my friends probably gonna get the game.... when he finds out about it!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I always eventually bought both games in the end, so it was never really a problem for me.

Rain

Years
  • I have SS in Japanese, so I'm going to get HG in English. =)

I need the extra storage room, since I don't have pokemon ranch.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I never get both. I can never afford it.

I'm still undecided on which one to get on here, due to version exclusives.

But, with remakes, if you got Fr, you need Ss, and if you got Lg, you need Hg, then you got all the Kanto pokes :D

On these games though, seeing as you can get most legends (Even both Lati@s), there's no reason to get both just for legends

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • Though I'll get SoulSilver first, I'll likely get a HeartGold later on too. I'm getting both because I want a copy that I can do random play-throughs of when I am bored, but also since I want a 'main' file to play through once and not restart.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i always buy both games. i have one that i never delete and the other i use when i feel like restarting. i sometimes even have more than one of each. (just bought another diamond today ^_^)
    i just like collecting them i guess, plus the figures they come with look really awesome

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I normally always purchase both versions. HeartGold and SoulSilver are no exception, but I have different reasons that just the figurines and collecting. I'm really buying both so I can capture all the Pokémon in the PokéDex, but technically the SoulSilver file will be mines, while the second file is for my sister to take care of.

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    I normally always purchase both versions. HeartGold and SoulSilver are no exception, but I have different reasons that just the figurines and collecting. I'm really buying both so I can capture all the Pokémon in the PokéDex, but technically the SoulSilver file will be mines, while the second file is for my sister to take care of.

If you wanted to get a full PokeDex, you can just trade with people. HG/SS don't have that many version exclusives that are hard to get.

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • I usually just get one game out of the Generation, and get the whole Generation for Christmas and\or my Birthday :|

Yukima

Mad Scientist
    Years
  • I like collecting all of the games. For the most part, I usually start off with one game from each generation, then go back and buy the others when they're used and cheaper. In HeartGold/SoulSilver's case, I'm buying both - HeartGold for my "main" file, and SoulSilver for experimenting and for trying out another Pokemon team.

It's also nice to have all of the games so when the time comes when they're old and obsolete and (heaven forbid) the GTS and Wi-Fi services close down, you can still complete your Pokedex!

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • I love Johto, reason why I got both is cause I would replay Johto as many times as I can.
    I got both in Japanese. and I'm getting SS in English :3

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
  • The only reason I would consider getting both is to get both figurines, but right now I can't justify spending the extra $40 for an alternate version of the same game, since I'm getting ready to graduate college. I can trade just about any unobtainable Pokemon to my future SoulSilver game from my Diamond or Platinum files, and I don't really need a Ho-oh figure when all I want is the Lugia one.

Years
  • I personally love having two different save files, that way if I want to focus on training and leveling a certain set of pokemon throughout the game, I can train a different set on the other game. Also i've been playing since the first versions came out so I'd consider myself a collector. Ooh and as an added bonus you can have two pokemon walkers going at the same time ;)

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • If you wanted to get a full PokeDex, you can just trade with people. HG/SS don't have that many version exclusives that are hard to get.

Im sorry but this is a really narrow minded point of view. Not everyone has access to trading. I live at college right now so I have ethernet internet and there are no hotspots in the area making GTS trading impossible. Plus 99.9% of college students Ive met are not Pokemon Players and the ones who are have less pokemon than me or the same version. Trading with people is a great option IF you have it availible to you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    Im sorry but this is a really narrow minded point of view. Not everyone has access to trading. I live at college right now so I have ethernet internet and there are no hotspots in the area making GTS trading impossible. Plus 99.9% of college students Ive met are not Pokemon Players and the ones who are have less pokemon than me or the same version. Trading with people is a great option IF you have it availible to you.

^^This would probablly the only reason I would get both if I was in this situation.

Back