• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Chain

I don't think the hatred for Hoenn lies in the Pokemon more than the region itself.
    Most people I've heard that hate Hoenn don't mind the Pokemon so much as the plot, the mass amount of water traveling, and the villains. I for one like quite a few of the Hoenn Pokemon, but have a strong dislike towards the plot of R/S and E.

The Pokemon are pretty alright but I kinda wish they had worked on the legendaries a little bit more. D:
    They just seem so... lacking for some reason..

Years
    I think that Johto is the cause for this. As ridiculosu as it sounds, Johto was very attached to Kanto and the simple concepts fit in well with the Kanto Pokemon.
    Hoenn kind of cut those ties and did it's own thing. Hoenn had a varied atmosphere, as opposed to a grassy region with a few caves and water roots, and the Pokemon were obviously
    more complex than their predecessors, but not so complex that some of the Pokemon look great, like in Sinnoh.

TehPsychicTypeMaster

"I See Greatness In You..."
    Years
    I don't hate any of the Hoenn designs, most of them were quite creative. Kanto, Johto and Hoenn had personally the best original designs. Things started to downfall when Isshu/Unova came into play.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
    When I first played Sapphire I was catching all of the weak Pokemon of Hoenn like Zigzagoon and Poochyena which led me to think that all Hoenn Pokemon were weak. I found out otherwise when I came across Pokemon like Salamence and Flygon. And I guess another reason I didn't like them was because how much Ruby and Sapphire got rid of from Gold, Silver and Crystal. I really liked the Pokegear phone and of course the day/night system and finding out that those were gone made me walk away from 3rd generation.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I don't hate Hoenn Pokemon besides some of my favorites are from Hoenn....

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    It's because some people don't like the style of digimon (me being one), and that's what they're becoming. First and second generation weren't like digimon. Third was inbetween, but fourth is what put me off almost all new pokemon

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2011
    I don't know... I personally have noticed this too but I think their ok. It's probably because of the fact that the firered pokemon were so cool that it made everything else seem bad.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    After playing Emerald I can't really understand why people hate on Hoenn in general.

The pokemon introduced were awesome. The badass Swellow with a sweet, abusable ability, The bulky fighting type Hariyama, a great pokemon with unique typing Shiftry, those offensive dragon beasts Salamence and Flygon, the oh-so annoying Milotic, and SPINDAAAAAAAAA!!

The region itself wasn't bad either. It felt so large compared to the previous games and I've always felt there was plenty of things to do as I was playing. Gen 3 as a whole is honestly quite underrated.

Years
    For me, it was a case of broken expectations. I got Sapphire expecting to have new features alongside the old ones--three regions to explore instead of two, the original 251 Pokémon plus 100 or so new ones, the Day/Night system, Team Rocket's return, etc. Instead, so much of that got taken out that I hated the games. The generation has grown on me, mostly because of FRLG and Emerald. Now I think Hoenn has some great area designs and some awesome Pokémon, but I still have issue with a lot of their Pokémon and I still find the water routes incredibly tedious (water Pokémon aficionado though I be) and the whole Team Aqua/Magma storyline stupid. Also, like others have said, outside of Emerald there is NO postgame (which was especially disappointing since I was hoping to have another region to explore afterward). I still think R/S are the worst of the main series games (aside maybe from D/P, which I haven't played often enough to give a good judgment), just because they were lackluster. Emerald is a great game, though, and I do enjoy playing FRLG.

As for the Pokémon themselves, I think there were far too many clones. I mean, Hoothoot/Noctowl and Sentret/Furret were similar in function to Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot and Rattata/Raticate, but they were different enough in design and moveset to make them stand alone. On the other hand, the Taillow line and the Zigzagoon line just seemed like blatant ripoffs of previous generations, as did the Wurmple line, the Skitty line, and the Corphish line, among others. Some of the Pokémon were pretty lackluster as well (i.e. Luvdisc, Chimecho, Wailmer, etc.), although this region does include many of my favorites.

And overall, I think there is beauty in simplicity, which is what made the first two Generations so awesome. As the generations have gotten newer, the Pokémon have come to look more and more like Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh monsters, and Hoenn was kinda a midpoint between those two extremes--they were simpler than the newest generations but still lacked the simple elegance of the older ones.

Still, Blaziken, Sharpedo, Absol, Breloom, and Milotic (among others) = win.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
    Things started to downfall when Isshu/Unova came into play.

Actually, things started to fall down when Sinnoh Pokémon came into play.
    When people see ugly Sinnoh Pokémon like Purugly (Its name suggests it), Stunky, Buneary...

8 in 10 people will vomit.

Anyways, replying to the topic, it's basically because many of the designs were either ugly or uncreative.
    Although Hoenn has many of my favorite Pokémon, for example: Milotic, Blaziken, Absol and Beautifly.

gamefan1

Mystery Trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    oufff i think hoen is the best game amon all generation :P. Moere precisly emerald.

The battle tower was a great challenge i had a hard time finishing all of them (the battle pike is the worst with this stupid kirlia)

The ne w pokemon where great IdK why peple say they suck.Just think about it.

Charizard- Fire flying Typlosion- fire Blaziken- fire figthing

3 great fire pokemon (infernape and the others are just copies of blaziken :P)

No to forget Swampert his ground/water combo make him really hard to take down (quagsire is also ground water but....)

And sceptile the dragon looking grass pokemon XD

Hoen rules :D

Pika-power

Jesus of Suburbia
    Years
    it's okay

I absolutely love every hoenn pokemon.

However, I think that the storyline was only kinda good, so I personally gave it a 3.5 out of 5.

Then, again, maybe it deserves 4 out of 5 becuase of the introduction
    of growing berries, which I love to do.=D

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    I liked Hoenn. It was my favorite region, due to it being different, and it never let you get bored. Even after beating the Elite Four, you're only halfway done. Especially in Emerald, where they added the Battle Frontier.

If people don't like it, it's probably because they weren't so ready for something with too little aspects of R/B/Y or G/S/C, and had the natural human reaction of hating on it.

Mute608

Stay Frosty
    Years
    I like the Hoenn Region a lot. It isn't as good as Kanto and Johto, but definitely a good region (probably better than Sinnoh at least).

One thing that kind of turned me off about it was the fact there isn't day and night. I really loved how they introduced that in Gold/Silver and figured they would carry it over to the future games.

Stuff like the Bug Catching Contest was more interesting than Pokemon Contests in my opinion.

But the Pokemon in Hoenn were good. I think there are a lot in that region that interest me. Sadly it is the last one because I wasn't impressed with the pokemon in the Sinnoh Region (a majority at least).

zapht

The Family Ghost
    Years
    i think alot of people dislike the 3rd gen games because alot of the original pokemon audience was getting to the age where games like that were becoming lame. although a younger child would still see those games as just as cool, the older original fans who didnt think it was cool anymore saw it as ruining the game they loved as children and grew to resent it because of that.

Years
    Well considering that some people were convinced Pokemon should've died with Gold/Silver/Crystal, it wasn't taken very well. Though it had great graphics, to be honest it was very repetitive compared to G/S/C.

But still, it had some great Pokemon, most notably Flygon, Metagross, Salamence and my all time favorite-Grovyle. Though Hoenn wasn't the best in story, in Pokemon-it was flipping awesome.

Cool Pokemon actually looked cool, even though Satoshi Tajiri stopped designing in G/S/C, whoever made Hoenn Pokemon was pretty cool. In fact, I think it was better for Tajiri to leave because of that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back