• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    In my humble opinion, Gen 3 did stand out really well, and therefore, became my most favorite in the series. I really don't get why Gen 3 got so much criticism.

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! The spoiler below this message will show many criticism about Second Generation. If you have fond memories with it and THINK it will offend you, don't read this spoiler. I'm giving the Gen 2 fanboys who BASH Gen 3 a piece of my mind.

Spoiler:

Ruby and Sapphire feels more like the original than a sequel. They got everything right with the HMs, Berry mechanics (which originated in Gold and Silver, but those look bland and unoriginal), and Trainer Rematches (that too originated in Gold and Silver, but that was bloody monotonous SINCE you have to call the trainers for the Rematch. You don't have to call the trainer in order to rematch in Ruby and Sapphire (Not sure about Emerald. Someone please enlighten me about the trainer rematch in Emerald) which saves you the headache of having to level grind/money farm). All in all, Ruby and Sapphire is my most favorite of the series (next to Red, Green, and Blue, but if it has to be the version of my own, then that proves my point since Nintendo of America screwed it up by calling it "Red and Blue" and leaving Green out.)

Generation 4 (Platinum was the only version in Gen 4 I played besides the remakes) isn't as good as Ruby and Sapphire, and Black and White almost surpassed it but didn't since that name kept my (and everyone else's) hopes up too high.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    There were some things RSE lacked like the day/night system remakes remakes remakes go, but the Pokémon were just fine to me. In fact, I think the Pokémon found in the Hoenn region are the best of all times, but that's just my opinion. :x

I don't know why most people (or so you say) dislike the Pokémon though, since as far as I know, many seem to want a remake for the games.

Years
    there were some gems like zangoose, armaldo, crawdaunt, flygon, and shiftry, but most were just empty somehow.
    there were some failures like blaziken and swampert. i say failures because the designs of marshtomp and combusken were really nice.

plus there were some flat out stupid pokemon like ludicolo and grumpig

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    Hoenn is Awesome

Thou shall never top Castform, mortal!

I mean seriously, cute and good in battle! How do you beat that? Hoenn was pure awesome, I loved diving into the ocean and going underwater. Secret bases were relatively fun, but somewhat of a letdown. The new fossils were great and I loved the climax where you stopped the fight between Kyogre and Groudon. And don't even get me started on how great the Lati's are.

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I never even heard of people not liking Hoenn Pokemon until now.

I know people hate Unova Pokemon for looking like Digimon, but I personally don't see any reason people to not like Gen 3 Pokemon.

I absolutely love Hoenn Pokemon and they're my favorite Gen Pokemon.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I agree with you here. I think the Gen 3 have some of the best looking pokemon. I do like all of the gens but 3 is one of my favorites to go and train in.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    No no no... I think what you're talking about is the Sinnoh region. Hoenn? We love them, I love them, all of them... Especially the 3 Hoenn legendaries, they're simply awesome.

Years
    The First Pokemon i played was Yellow, Pikachu was always following you.
    Then came FireRed, i said... oh man--no more Pikachu.
    Now RSE, the Pokes were weird but turns out to be cool.
    I mean, what we know that is everyone hates Sinnoh, It's a Legend Spamfest.

Rayquaza is a plain cool legendary.
    And the common Pokemon i like was Salamence--the devil obsessed Pokemon.
    Hoenn was quite cool and i like the long sea and routes.

But let's say for Sinnoh
    Sinnoh in one word: Bad

Sinnoh in more words: The Game of Legendary Fail.
    Then Ash and May lived happily ever after.

The end.

The First Pokemon i played was Yellow, Pikachu was always following you.
    Then came FireRed, i said... oh man--no more Pikachu.
    Now RSE, the Pokes were weird but turns out to be cool.
    I mean, what we know that is everyone hates Sinnoh, It's a Legend Spamfest.

Rayquaza is a plain cool legendary.
    And the common Pokemon i like was Salamence--the devil obsessed Pokemon.
    Hoenn was quite cool and i like the long sea and routes.

But let's say for Sinnoh
    Sinnoh in one word: Bad

Sinnoh in more words: The Game of Legendary Fail.
    Then Ash and May lived happily ever after.

The end.

Last edited:

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
    Hoenn and Sinnoh are my least favorite regions including the Pokemon but I don't have any particular beef with them. I just don't find them as attractive as the Kanto and Johto pokemon. They have changed from that classic feel. I do however enjoy the games, they are the ones I am playing most often nowadays.

You have to understand I think the majority of Pokemon fans grew up with the original generations and Hoenn was the first that was significantly different. Characters were replaced(Misty and everyone's Pokemon including Team Rocket's), Pokemon Contests and not one but TWO new villainous teams were introduced. People tend not to like when something they have grown used to and to love changes.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    It's just a process. People hate the new Pokemon when they come in, then they grow on people. I love the Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon now, but I'm having trouble with the Unova ones. I love the tropical theme of the Hoenn Pokemon, I think they're just awesome.

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    To be honest I don't hate Hoenn Pokémon, in fact I don't hate any Pokémon. I think that all generations of Pokémon are good, but different in their own ways. There isn't a best and a worst one. Most people get attached to the first generation they play, and then dislike the next generations because they are different to the games that they first enjoyed. This tends to mainly generation 3 because it was very different to gens 1 & 2. Most people are split into two groups: Nostalgia lovers and new gen lovers. I think that nostalgia lovers should just try and accept the fact that Pokémon is changing, and that they cannot keep playing RBY/GSC forever. New gen lovers should try to slow down and stop saying that new gens are 100 times better than old gens, because they aren't. Each generation had its ups and downs.
    Gen 1: Original but simple Pokémon designs
    Gen 2: More interesting plot but Pokémon still a bit simple
    Gen 3: More interesting Pokémon but big region with pointless towns
    Gen 4: Interesting Pokémon and character designs but extreme plot
    Gen 5: Fresh and new but over-the-top independence from other regions

Personally, I think all Pokémon are fine (except for Jynx and Trubbish, don't know what they were trying to achieve with them).

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2020
    I hate how they looked and how they did all the moves xD

I hated how the Hoenn games looked just overall!

Although it was still a great game with great music!

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    Hoenn Pokemon, truthfully are the best out of all of the games so far. They finally got the legendaries right for one, and I mean, the third times the charm right? Plus, most of the Pokemon are pretty good. Take the starters, my favorite starters out of all overall. Pure genius to have a Ground/Water typing starter XD. Also, the Fire/Fighting isnt too bad either. Well...*shrugs* I dont think people hate them, much as dont like to use them as much due to them being so awesome ^_^.

AllentheGuitarist

I don't even, sir.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Personally, I kinda like the 3rd gen (but that's because I'm hardcore 1st and 2nd) while I really don't like 4th and absolutely loathe 5th.

NTA

Where?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2012
    Because of that last battle Ash had before he started in the Hoenn region and he got beat by Blaziken xD
    Thats my theory anyways...

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    It's just a process. People hate the new Pokemon when they come in, then they grow on people. I love the Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon now, but I'm having trouble with the Unova ones. I love the tropical theme of the Hoenn Pokemon, I think they're just awesome.
    Personally I don't agree with this for the most part (Maybe it's just me), because when Gen II, and III pokes came out, I just simply LOVED them (bar few exceptions), but most Gen IV pokemon never grew in me. They were generally very ordinary without any special distinctions, and most of new evos were pointless (only made the metagame trickier and harder :(). Gen V may reflect what you are trying to say, though. I thought new pokes were joke until I bought the game somewhat reluctantly (actually weird mix of excitement and disappointment), then grew in me, though I'm still having trouble with some like you are.

NTA

Where?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2012
    I was looking forward to Emerald when I first saw the commercial
    When I forgot about it and years later saw someone playing Pokemon, I was like wtf that Pokemon moved! Another reason that I liked the Gen 3 games :P or just emerald >_>

Almost Me

WHEEEEEEEEE
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    The only Gen 3 game i've played is Emerald, and I love it. I loved the sudden influx of Dark-types, and a trio of likable starters. The gyms were pleasant to progress through, with mid to difficult puzzles. The double battle feature was cool, and the overall look and feel of the game was vastly improved compared to gen 1-2. Gen 1 may have been when pokemon was created, but gen 3 is where pokemon really began.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    3rd gen was amazing. Good set of starters, great looking Pokemon, interesting plot, I thought the Battle Frontier was mind blowing as well. Does not deserve all the hate it gets, no generation does.

Cept first. I think people like first a little TOO much -_-. (Not that it's bad).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back