• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    There are probably a lot of people who will hate me for saying this but RSE are my personal favourites. In my opinion:
    1. It gave us some great pokemon. While playing gen IV games I carry mostly RSE Pokemon with me than any others.
    2. The gym leaders and a few other helpful NPCs had more personality than ones previous games and for me, having interesting characters is important in video games.
    3. There were some pretty cool new features. I personally liked the Dive HM, being able to explore underwater and such, the 2 bikes were pretty cool and I loved the contests.

My only real dissappointment was that there wasnt too much to do after you defeat the elite 4 unlike Gen II and IV.

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
  • Personally, I always felt like RSE were the best games in the series. I never understood why people hated the Pokemon there so much.

Yeah, Beautifly is a butterfly, like Butterfree. But they're based on two different kinds of butterflies. Even if they weren't, so what? A butterfly works as a Pokemon in the beginning of the game. Since Butterfree was excluded, they needed something to fill its niche. Besides, aren't you all complaining that Kanto and Johto had great Pokemon? If they're so great, why do you hate similar Pokemon?

I would like to say my little piece in here. First of all, have you even played the original G/S/C? Those games were far superior to R/S/E.

Second of all, the reason most Pokemon fans dislike the third generation was that the changes came too rapidly. They completely forgot about a main character, nearly kicked Brock off for the second time, and the newer Pokemon were okay. It isn't the fact that the people hate the new Pokemon, it is the fact that they hate the concepts and the stories. I am an old Pokemon fan at heart. I watch the new episodes on Youtube and on T.V, but it never gives me that nice feeling in my heart like the older ones do. And by golly, I bet a lot of Pokemon fans feel the same way that I do.

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • I find that many people who play R/S/E are disappointed in the graphics, and the storyline that they didn't pay too much attention to the Pokémon the region has.

And, like BigBlastoise said, the changes came too fast and they really didn't put much effort into the storyline, the graphics, and really the entire game itself.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I would like to say my little piece in here. First of all, have you even played the original H/S/C? Those games were far superior to R/S/E.

Second of all, the reason most Pokemon fans dislike the third generation was that the changes came too rapidly. They completely forgot about a main character, nearly kicked Brock off for the second time, and the newer Pokemon were okay. It isn't the fact that the people hate the new Pokemon, it is the fact that they hate the concepts and the stories. I am an old Pokemon fan at heart. I watch the new episodes on Youtube and on T.V, but it never gives me that nice feeling in my heart like the older ones do. And by golly, I bet a lot of Pokemon fans feel the same way that I do.

I find your opening question to be exceedingly condescending and feel quite offended by it. I have been playing Pokemon since the beginning when the original Red and Blue came out in my country. I have played every official (that is non-pirated) Pokemon game since then. I also have seen and own the anime series and read the manga (but this discussion is not about that so I'm not even going to talk about that). Its not like I'm some young kid who first played Pokemon when the advanced generation surfaced. I know what I'm talking about and all I was doing was saying why I liked RSE more than the rest of the games. I think its fine that you disagree with me but I find you certainly chose the wrong way to get your point across.

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
  • I find your opening question to be exceedingly condescending and feel quite offended by it. I have been playing Pokemon since the beginning when the original Red and Blue came out in my country. I have played every official (that is non-pirated) Pokemon game since then. I also have seen and own the anime series and read the manga (but this discussion is not about that so I'm not even going to talk about that). Its not like I'm some young kid who first played Pokemon when the advanced generation surfaced. I know what I'm talking about and all I was doing was saying why I liked RSE more than the rest of the games. I think its fine that you disagree with me but I find you certainly chose the wrong way to get your point across.

I like how you didn't flame even though I provoked you. Nice, nice, nice self-control. So, you played the original games huh? Can you explain to me what you think is better about Pokemon R/S/E than the previous, most popular, versions?

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I like how you didn't flame even though I provoked you. Nice, nice, nice self-control. So, you played the original games huh? Can you explain to me what you think is better about Pokemon R/S/E than the previous, most popular, versions?

Why flame? Its immature and gets you nowhere, I dont usually bother with forums because there are a lot of people that go out of their way to upset others for their own enjoyment. Anyway I can answer your question in 2 words, "Personal taste". Thats all there is to it. I think the first 2 sets of games are fantastic, they hold (as dramatic as it sounds) a place in my heart that only the Mother series could match, but I just got more enjoyment out of playing R/S/E for the reasons I stated in my original post. I guess I've always been very strange, liking the less-popular choices and all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    I really only like under gen 3... I dunno about you, but it seems to me that they just got lazy after that.

Years
  • I actually think GenIII was has the best design, and I still play Emerald (Currently playing it again after migrating every pokemon except a wumble to Platinum)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    As someone that has played every Pokemon game to date, and who hasn't watched the cartoon since the first year my sons got into it, I think that Emerald is still the best overall Pokemon game ever made, and what I have seen so far from BW I don't see my opinion changing at this time next year.

EVERY region has its good and bad points. EVERY region has bad Pokemon concepts. EVERY region has points in the story that make you scratch your head. From a conceptual perspective, nothing beats RBY. It laid the foundation of the property and while other games have built upon the original concepts it would take something major for a game to beat what RBY gave us. From a storyline concept, nothing comes close to GSC, and that is even including the halfassed Kanto addition that wasn't even improved upon in HGSS, which was highly disappointing and basically proved how GF has lost touch with the property. For functionality, nothing beats DPP with its Wi-Fi feature allowing someone in the US to battle against someone in Japan.

Now while RSE isn't the best at any of the aforementioned aspects, its drawbacks are also less than the drawbacks of the other games too. RBY had limited functionality (although FRLG did alleviate that somewhat), GSC really had bad conceptual designs (even though RSE tends to get a bad rap), and DPP has by far the worst storyline and even worse designs than GSC. RSE didn't have the best designs, but they certainly were innovative and provided the property with three really good starter Pokemon, along with some excellent typings. I was also quite disappointed when I found that RSE moved away from the Day/Night feature in GSC instead of expounding on it. That said, it provided us with a much better breeding and stat system, not to mention the terrific addition of natures, and the revamping of the Effort Values and held items. The storyline could have been better thought out, but the addition of Secret Bases and the Battle Frontier more than made up for it. If you didn't like Secret Bases, then you probably didn't realize the true potential of it as it pertains to breeding and competitive battling. It is by far one of the greatest additions ever to the property. I have set up over 20 different Secret Bases on my Emerald version that are filled with Pokemon that help me max out EV stats on a Pokemon in minutes rather than hours. Then the Battle Frontier AI is actually challenging when compared to the pathetically weak in-game AI. Lastly, while it doesn't have the true Wi-Fi capability that DPP has, in Emerald the addition of the wireless connector was a BIG step in that direction. Being able to trade and battle without being tied to a 3-foot tether was a great improvement.

Personally, there are A LOT more people I know that dislike the Sinnoh region Pokemon than the Hoenn region Pokemon, with myself included. I didn't like going from 7 to 10 Legendaries in Hoenn, but then you have Sinnoh that went to FOURTEEN! How many can we expect in BW? 18? 20? 30???? Still, when you compare Hoenn Pokemon to other regions, they really do hold up rather nicely and there are only a few what I would consider bad concepts.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
  • Personally I feel the way most people who hate R/S/E about gen 4 and 5(Meaning I like Emerald). Pokemon in gen 3 was still a bit fresh and unique in Hoenn. Actually most of my fovrite pokemon were first seen in Hoenn like Absol and Gardevoir. I've heard people hated it beacuse they couldnt trade their pokemon from gen's one and two to gen 3.

Edit: and yes Shanecdavis, Emerald is the best pokemon game ever made. The only thing I would change is that they need to make the E4 and regular trainers stronger, but it still owns and this error will be most likeley fixed in the remake if they make one. Seriously R/S/E is what got me to at least give Grass pokemon a chance with Sceptile and the other great Starters(lol and I dont own any other Grass Pokemon lol)

Hospikmavery

Artist
    Years
  • Some are better, some are worse
    Right now (Without B/W) there are 493 things out there
    People should see them as one big community which grows with every new generation..
    That rather then putting them in some sort of version related category..

Nothing compares with the 151 they created 10 years ago, rest are just add-ons

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Being on the at-the-time new GBA, I felt that some of the only improvements were the graphics. For one thing, RSE was pretty ugly. The overworld and map sprites, I mean, not just the Pokemon. FRLG looked good, but RSE? Ewwwww.

I also hated Dive. There was nothing much to explore after you found Sootopolis and completed the main storyline. Catch a Relicanth? It's just going to go right to my PC. I did like the erratic currents on the water routes, though. The map, overall, was just out there. You had to actually switch bikes at the shop to go up those hills? A desert in the smack dab of forest and trees?

To be honest, a desert surrounded by mountains in the smack dab middle of forest and trees isn't as bad as a palm tree infested tropical island to the northeast of a cold (enough for the PCs to get appropriate wardrobe upgrades in Platinum) region. WTH, Gamefreak?

RSE didn't even have a day and night system. It was jarring, to say the least. In some ways, RSE was a huge leap forward. In other ways, a massive step back.

The storyline with Team Aqua/Magma/Emerald (never played Emerald, don't shoot) was okay, but since they're only Pokemon game it's not like I'm going to expect anything mind blowing and earth shattering, anyway.

Now, the designs of the Pokemon themselves? I admit I never did warm up to them. I think I just got older.

It really just might be nostalgia. I mean, whenever I see someone say that RSE is their favorite generation, I automatically assume they're younger than me, which is never a good habit. I rather liked Gen 4's innovation and now I'm looking forward to Gen 5, but Gen 3? It was rather bland. Nothing was fantasically memorable, or if it was it wasn't even used to its full potential (SPACESHIP AT MOSSDEEP). Half of the pokemon I can't remember at all without looking it up, but of course the same goes for 4th gen with me. Hell, I can barely remember any Pokemon after most of Gen 2.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • I dont, i love em especialy gardevoir cuz its so cute / beutifull.

It just needs some more variation on the water routes instead of tentacool/wingull and the ocasional peliper.

Biggee30

The Oldschool Hip-Hop Fan
    Years
  • I don't get it either, The Hoenn Pokemon are easily my favorites (by count of how many of the pokemon I think are worth training), so I just don't see why everybody else seems to hate on the RSE series. I've been playing Pokemon since Blue and Red came out, but I'm open to change, hence why RSE is my favorite of the series.

Walrein = Win

Last edited:

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
  • I started playing at Yellow version and never played the metal games. But I agree I pretty much rate a game on the number of trainable pokemon it has or were added. Maybe its just me but Gen 4 had a ****load of pokemon that had ****ty movepools and one stat that was good and the rest trash.
    Or maybe I just like Hoenn pokemon i.e. Gardevoir, Absol, Flygon, Sceptile(lol the only Grass type I own), Salamence, need I go on?
    But I admit there was some things it lacked like the graphics did leave a little to be desired and some of the pokemon sprites were hideous. But I still love it all the same.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I just didn't like the way they came out.Sinnoh was way better i felt then hoeen

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • one thing i also think is that the amount of older generation pokemon is much more than the newer, not to say there arent newer ones to find. but when tentacool is 50% of what your going to find in water it doesnt give much variation.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I think I liked Hoenn better than alot of people because I started playing Pokémon from Emerald onward despite being a fan for many years (my parents weren't video game fans. I had to buy my own systems and games). Therefore I wasn't disappointed (besides criticizing some of the weirder looking Pokés: Solrock, Lunatone, Whismur family, etc) since I had no other game to compare it to. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than I have Pearl and Platinum, though Heart Gold has become my favorite. It sucked that I could never complete the 'dex, but overall I was pleased.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • i loved heonn :P
    mudkipz, salamence, flygon and metagross?
    awesomes :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back