• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
Years
  • I've dont understand, most of my favorites hail from the hoenn region. In fact, its the only region I dont have trouble picking who will be on my team. They are mostly good so idk on that

Panoz

Trainer
    Years
  • when gen 3 came out,people accused the pokemon of not being pokemon,looking weird etc.Well...they certainly look more like pokemon than the B/W ones.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    I think that people dislike the 3rd generation because you get good pokemons such as feebas and bagon in a late part of the game.
    I personally love the 3rd generation, there are good pokemons such as Camerupt, Milotic, Gradevoir and Salamance.
    Cradility&Armaldo are much more useful compared to Omastar and Kabutupos.
    The contests were good idea, my numel&milotic won all the ranks of the beauty competitions.
    Latias/Latios in R/S remind me Suicune, Raiku and Entei in G/S/C.
    The only thing i hate in R/S/E is that I got a bad egg cuz I remained a feebas egg in the PC for a long time :/

Riaxik

Demented Sableye Doll
    Years
  • The Hoenn pokemon were personally my favorites. I can't help but love most of them! They seem a lot better then some of the newer pokemon.

Necrolium

Flygon Trainer
    Years
  • 3rd gen pokemon and games were my favorite of all. I never really heard anyone say they don't like 3rd gen pokemon. Only the plot is what I hear complaining about.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh my xD This thread is nice. I always thought the Hoenn pokémon were the worst, really. They simply look so odd compared to the other generations. There aren't many really cute (in my opinion, mind you) pokémon or pokémon with nice faces. I like faces on my pokémon. Zangoose is a winner and Tropius was a fun idea. But most pokémon from Hoenn are just... maybe it's the legendaries. Hoenn was where the legendaries started to look like menacing machines instead of mystical animals. I prefer the legendaries of Johto and Unova to the ones from Hoenn and Sinnoh, in looks and overall.

I just don't think the Hoenn pokémon have much feeling to them. Maybe there's also the fact that a lot of the previous pokémon were missing from Hoenn and the new ones weren't as great as the Unova pokémon for instance. (5th gen rocks) Don't get me wrong though, Ruby is probably the game I've had the most fun with and I love Hoenn as a region. But their pokémon were mostly too ugly for my taste. Especially the starters...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In my opinion, the reason is hoenn pokemon have a different art style with kanto and johto pokemon, and every people has a different taste of art, so it is potential to make people who play and like old generation to dislike it. Second, competition with rival is less sharp.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I think after G/S/C we were just expecting a bit more. G/S/C gave us two regions and an extended storyline while once you finished the Elite 4 in R/S/E that was pretty much it.

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • At First, I really disliked the Pokemon, but over time they really started to grow on me, The Map to me was still the most fun to explore since Johto (and now Unova). Dive had to be my fav TM. Legendary's were hard to find and mysterious. (seriously, Wailord on your last spot?) The Pokemon have aged well too. After D/P/PT cam out, Hoenn Pokemon started looking a whole lot better. (To this day I still dislike the Shinnoh Pokemon). I used to hate Hoenn, but the more I look at it. The better it seems to me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    +1 to that. Exactly what I was thinking. Hoenn was by far one of the best. Sinnoh only has a few Pokemon that stood out for me, one being Infernape. Not too many others. The story line for Sinnoh was fine, but I wasn't quite thrilled by Dialga or Palkia's design. Too many Legendaries. Arceus, Darkrai, Shaymin and Manaphy are the only legendaries from Sinnoh that I like. I wasn't thrilled about the lake Trio designs either. So for those who hated Hoenn, I'll never be able to figure it out when Sinnoh looks like a lot of the Pokemon were just thrown together.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I can't figure out why people hate it.. xD

It was on par with any other Pokemon game, or ahead of them at the time, in terms of graphics. The region was interesting to explore, the Pokemon grow on people just like any other gen, the plot was typical pokeymanz.. so. Idk. I loved Hoenn, personally.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • I thought Hoenn enough. I think because it started off on a bad foot as far as cutting yourself off from the rest of the pokemon world and a fresh new batch with no back tracking you know? I don't think it was Hoenn so much, more so the way they introduced it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    As most of the people say, most of the hoenn pokemons were simply rip-off'ed other series's. Not much of a better storyline, however, nonetheless a well addition to the games.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't like them to be honest.

Many of them are weird (Lileep, Cradily, Zigzagoon, Breloom, Castform, Kecleon, Chimeco, Mawile, Sableye, Ralts, Nosepass, Gulpin, Spinda, Trapinch and Bagon just to name a few), not cute at all and some are ugly as hell.
    Even the starters look like someone had like nine designs on a table and then he randomly picked three of them while having his eyes closed. They don't share any characteristics with eachother and look like they have nothing to do with each other.

Of course, there are some I like a lot (like Cacturne, Numel, Camerupt and Altaria) but 95% of them are... Nah...

I didn't like the region and I HATED the water routes (TEN?? TEN?? EIGHT OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME???) and music (Irritating. As hell. All of them). Also the storyline sucked badly. And the sprites... Awkward.
    I hated the running sprites. The player characters, especially Brendan, looked like they were having a wank while running...

I was so glad when I found out that Sinnoh didn't have as weird and ugly Pokemon as Hoenn. And less water routes and an interesting region and better storyline. And better villainous team (Team Aqua/Magma= Let's make a world without water/land!!! Really??).

I don't like Hoenn, mostly because there was too many new things (double battles, natures, abilities, EV cap), bad region and pokemon in one game. All that introduced at the same time... It felt too much for one game.

Last edited:

Manectric-Fan

Thunder-Strike Adventurer
    Years
  • I don't understand why peapole don't like them!
    They are my favorites after 1.Johto and 2.Kanto. Hoenns is one of the greatest Generations of Pokémon. Not compared to 4. and 6. Generation that i never gat used to!

XXIII

isn't really here.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2013
    People hate Hoenn Pokes because they're not the originals. People are silly.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    Why would anybody hate 3rd Gen?
    My first ever Pokémon game was Ruby, and I FRIGGIN' LOVED IT! The plot was great and, unlike most generations (namely 5th), the plot didn't drag on for five weeks to come to a ridiculous conclusion in some magical castle. Instead, you saved the world from a bunch of terrorists trying to destroy it (by rather bizarre methods, yeah, but it is Nintendo we're talking about here...) - EPIC.
    As for the Pokémon, Torchic is my favourite starter of all time and the only Pokémon I didn't really like were Claydol and those freaky fossil ones. All the others - EPIC!

The only thing I really disliked was discovering that I couldn't get to Johto or Kanto...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back