• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
  • I know why I hate them. I don't. Every Generation has its own unique special "cool" pokemon, and those are the ones I use. The others are indeed stupid. Like Patrat. I enjoy killing those. But Litwick? I would never dream of such a thing. I grew up with the first and second generations in my childhood, and I thought those were the collest things ever. But as the pokemon franchise "evolved", I saw new amazingness in other pokemon. Keep your mind open, padawan, and you shall find new things.

BringYourOwnKites

Seriously. These are mine.
    Years
  • I loved the third gen. Mainly because of cool Pokemon like Zangoose, Spoink, and Spinda. Not to mention Salamance and Flygon.

The only generation I dislike is the fourth gen pokemon. The starters weren't too appealing to me. The only reason I got the games was because I always do and it would ruin my collection if I didn't.

Cubaser

Cercatori d'Arte
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2011
    I don't hate the Gen III Hoenn pokemon - I liked them a lot, actually. They're my favorite generation of pokemon (after Gen I, of course). Another reason to like RSE is the plot - the plot is fleshed out a lot more, and is one of the first more plot-based games in the Pokemon universe, rather than just a 'catch em all' sort of deal where you're left to do what you want. Nothing's wrong with the latter, but I liked the plot of RSE a great deal.

blakeg

Lives to Game
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    How was ruby and sapphires plot worse than the old gens. The old gens had almost no plot. Beat rocket while getting badges than beat the champ. Than in the new one it was beat aqua/magma as the get ready to summon there legondary while getting badges. Then you catch/beat the legondary as before the last gym than beat the elite four. The legondaries tying in with the bad guys was created in these games and emerald had it even better. If this is a worse way to go than why have they re-used it in all the pokemon version games after. (spare HG/SS).

Zigzagoon was way more original than rattata or sentret.

The starters were more original.

Many just had great designs.

The only let down was a few of the sprites that were only obtainable in the game by trading with fr/lg anyway.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    How was ruby and sapphires plot worse than the old gens. The old gens had almost no plot. Beat rocket while getting badges than beat the champ. Than in the new one it was beat aqua/magma as the get ready to summon there legondary while getting badges. Then you catch/beat the legondary as before the last gym than beat the elite four. The legondaries tying in with the bad guys was created in these games and emerald had it even better. If this is a worse way to go than why have they re-used it in all the pokemon version games after. (spare HG/SS).

Zigzagoon was way more original than rattata or sentret.

The starters were more original.

Many just had great designs.

The only let down was a few of the sprites that were only obtainable in the game by trading with fr/lg anyway.

No, the designs were not great. Easily the worst of any generation. At least in my opinion.

To build on that, I think its a preference. Gen1 and Gen2 had cartoon animal designs. They were relatively straight forward Gen1, adn Gen2 basically directly built on the idea by making the same concept, but using more detail.

Now Gen3 took a bad direction (imo), they decided to use the concept, but to embed a lot of the designs with an extra dose of silliness and over the top cartoon-iness that does not work.

Come Gen4, they decided to take a more reasonable approach, with a variation of silly, over the top cartoony, with more realistic, cool looking designs.

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
  • I /adore the Hoenn Pokemon! (Well, most of them, anyway)

Hoenn is my favourite region. ^__^

Fire Walker

The Wanderer
    Years
  • I love them all! People always criticize them and I don't understand it. None of them are MAJORLY ugly, not all of them are the best but I think most of them are great!

Nilz

renegade of funk.
    Years
  • I've been a pokemon fan since I was like 5 and gen 3 is still tied for my favorite along with gen 1. I thought the pokes were really creative and well designed, especially compared to gen 2. I still don't get why gen 3 doesn't get much love.

Aurora01

Goodbye
    Years
  • I don't hate them, but... It's just maybe because I thought Gen III was a huge letdown...
    I certainly have a lot of favorite Hoenn Pokemon, it's just that I'd like to forget Gen III...
    Maybe that's how other people feel, bored?

Years
  • Hoenn is my favourite region.. :/

It's far better than Sinnoh.
    Sinnoh doesn't have a desert area (until you beat the Elite Four), and there is only one route where to can do nothing but surf (again, until you beat the elite four). And Hoenn, unlike Sinnoh, has a volcano area sort of thing. xD Which again you have to beat Cynthia first.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2011
    I've never really heard people complain about the 3rd Gen, I usually only hear positive things. And I don't have any problems with it.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • niceley said, people actually like gen 3 a lot, the pokes are somehwta original with a touch of 'progress', people usually complain from gen 4 and now gen 5 more then ever !!

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Generally I don't care about what others think about the designs, since it's all a subjective matter, but imo most of them looked very cool (sceptile, zangoose, sharpedo, etc).

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
    Years
  • Since this has become more of an argument about why Gen 3 in general sucked, I'll give my 2 cents.

--atrocious map design. Unquestionable.
    --contests. I think I speak with the majority in saying the contests and related equivalents are lame and don't add much to the game. The only one I tolerated with the Pokethalon, because it separated itself from battling but still offered rewards. (I'm looking at you, Musical)
    --lack of old Pokemon. It was just mean to leave them programmed in, but not having a chance to catch them.
    --Pokemon designs. A lot of the new Pokemon were really awkward and lame. This could be said with gens 4 and 5 as well, but this seemed to be a turning point. There were, of course, some good ones, but a lot were just weird. Fortunately, it looks like this trend has begun to reverse itself starting with Gen 5. :)
    --visual style. Not many people liked how things looked, especially the trees/other scenery. And that font. T__T This has also improved, fortunately, starting with Gen 4.

And that's just a small snippet. Gen 3 did force some much-needed change onto the series, just not as gracefully as many of us expected.

Years
  • To be competely honest with you, the hoen games are my favorite. Groudon is epic, the music to me is epic, and nobody and I mean NOBODY messes with swampert, and the other starters are pretty epic as well. Oh yeah, and I guess a femake would make it even better, but think of this
    1 you already have a budgillion games that game freak gave you
    2You could already just transfer the pokemon from R/S/E to the next gen game and bring it from the 4th to the 5th
    3I guess the only reason they would ever do it would be to enhane the story and graphics, but what do I know, I dont know anything abot buisness, lol

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
    Years
  • Well. They aren't hated. They are some of my faves, tbh.
    I hate gen 4, it is definetly the worst by far. Then its gen 5 although its not that bad. There is some real cool pokes in 5. 4 there is only 1 or 2 I like, plus all the starters are horrid. Gen 5 I like about half of them, Snivy is an awesome starter.
    Gen 1 I like about 7/10 of them, gen 2 same. Gen 3, now, I like about 9/10

The map and all the running around beetween towns is what makes gen 3 horrid,not the pokes

Ninjutsu95

Bad decisions = Good stories
    Years

I love the hoenn pokemon. the pokemon which are average is sinnoh, and most hated, lots of the unovia pokemon in B/W. so uncreative and dumb. not all of them are lame, but lots.
    but lots of B/W pokemon kick butt too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back