• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why doesn't anybody like Hoenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoJigglypuff

Crazy and Loving It!
Years
  • I liked Hoenn. I personally think there's nothing wrong with it. Besides, without Hoenn, there wouln't be Mudkips. Therefore, there would be no meme.

I also really enjoyed the PokeSpe R/S arc. Ruby is hysterical. XD (That doesn't really have anything to do with the games though.)

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Just Because Hoenn is my least favorite region doesn't mean I hate it outright. I like it, just not as much as the other three regions.

The only thing I can truly complain about are the overly large Water Routes that take up a lot of the Eastern part of the map. The variety of Pokemon in those routes was small, and by the time I ran into my 20th Protect Pelipper, I used my entire savings on Repels just for the water routes D:

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2012
    My favorite region is hands down kanto, thats where it all started. It didn't need good graphics, in fact part of me likes those crappy sprites better than the new ones. it was just better layed out as all types had a spot. Johto would be next because, well it had a style all its own. almost as if it was from a time before kanto, it felt older in origin. Also they both had some of my favorite pokemon, easily filling my top tens of both legendary and non legendary.

Hoenn was much different, the pokemon lost their natural charm and took on a more "neo" style. I don't mean that to sound bad its not really, there were pokemon i enjoyed greatly. as a matter of fact, I probably hate less pokemon from that region than any other, but at the same time there are only like 2 pokemon i would consider being in maybe my top 20. the region was great it varied so much but it messed up with not adding more fire pokemon. It gets the series's first volcano that you actually climb and get next to the lava flow but it introduces how many catable fire pokemon, well not enough. I understand there should be less fire pokemon than a lot of other types but there is way too few for having nearly 500 pokemon. plus i hated the regis. would have meant something if any of them had been an element i cared for

Sinnoh however was the opposite, all i ever remember was a mountain and thats about it then sometimes there was snow, but it was on the mountain. it did however have good pokemon, as well as pokemon that i hate.

With everything considered i would have to say hoenn and sinnoh are my least liked regions for certain but even then i still like them a great deal. as for the maps well i hate sinnoh completely but hoenn is still 3rd

I agree. The problem I see with RSE and DPPt are:

- repetitive Pokemon design: a lot of the new Pokemon are made redundant by their older counterpart

- bland Pokemon design: a lot of the new Pokemon are based on real living creatures; while this in itself is not a big problem, the new designers place too many restrictions upon themselves; by this I mean, we no longer have unrealistic but charming Pokemon like Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Lickitung, etc.

- not enough innovation: RSE did innovate the battling scene with Abilities, etc., but there are not enough innovations overall when compared to the leaps and bounds GSC made over RBY, why weren't the Pokemon animated in RS? What happened to the more advanced PokeGear? It's not unrealistic to expect even more out of the franchise when the hardware has improved so much (GBA from GBC).

- lack of personality in the region: some say Hoenn feels too different; I say Hoenn feels too impersonal. Kanto was the closest in style to what we live in today: we have bustling cities and quaint little towns that remind us of the suburbs; Johto revealed a dazzling historic view of the Pokemon world, which is heavily influenced by the Japanese culture, we have the Tin Tower, the shrines, the ruins, the mystery!; Hoenn feels tropical, but you still have Rustboro City which feels Western mixed in there, then there is the volcano and the lots and lots of ocean in between, the cities and towns just don't mesh well together to create an overall, coherent atmosphere. Sinnoh to me is just dull looking with lots of gray and brown buildings that are repeatedly used in most cities and towns. This is why the world in HG/SS remakes are so dazzling and unique when compared to the rather bland Sinnoh and awkward Hoenn.

- too many legendaries!! I loved how Kanto and Johto didn't place the entire emphasis of the game on legendaries. Legendaries are just that, legends. The main quest is supposed to be focused on you becoming the Champion of the Pokemon League, not stopping some evil organization from exploiting a legendary Pokemon. It's fun as a secondary quest (not necessarily as minor as a side quest, but not as major as the focus on the game!). And I loved how the Legendaries in Kanto and Johto have mystical powers, but yet are not the end-all, be-all beings that are the later legendaries in Hoenn and Sinnoh. An ancestral Pokemon, a rebirth Pokemon, a Pokemon who can travel through time is believable. But a Sky God, a Ground God, a Sea God, a Time God, a Space God, a Death God, and the God of all things in Pokemon World being captured and controlled by a 10-year old boy is just too much.

I think part of the reason why Pokemon has lost its charm and is spinning out of control is that the original creator, Satoshi Tajiri, got much less involved with the series after GSC.

Poison Master Tox

Fierce Poison Expert
    Years
  • Saphire was my first Pokémon game, at the age of 12 I think. My mother didn't let me play Pokémon, thinking they were violent (and I grew up with Zelda...).

So Hoenn was my first reigon, and I love it. I love contests, I love the Gym leaders, I love the designe of May, I love the Pokémon, I love the Battle Zone; I love about everything. To me, coming to this site where people disliked this region was strange... and I'm glad someone asked this question. To me, Hoenn is the best region. I hate Kanto, it's so... bland.

Divine~Deoxys

I agree. I started at around age as you, although for different reasons (i got into it because i got bored before school and started watching the anime, and i saw a mudkip and a lotad, and instantly found £30 for a game). I reckon Emerald's the best, but it sounds like Sapphire and Ruby are probably superior in the simplicity of their plot (1 legendary, etc. etc.)

xXI JOE IXx

This is why i disliked fire red and went back to sapphire. They could have atleast put contests in, it was a downgrade from sapphire

Divine~Deoxys

Kanto's good in that there's no emphasis on legendaries, they're only there for the adventurous rather than every 6 year old who says "mummy!mummy!i caught the god of death!!" when they catch giratina, i mean, when cynthia says it's a poke that's name shouldnnt be spoken in platinum, it's just insane.

at least the cutscene with rayquaza's good in hoenn.

iCrash

'Splash is overated'
    Years
  • I don't really like the simplicity of the Hoenn games (and the fact my ruby, sapphire and emerald all delete theirselves :S) but its not the worst region.....

Sinnoh has to be the worst by far D:
    Dissapointment with the new games really, hope the new Gold and Silver don't fall the same way.
    The older the better with pokemon games atm i think.

Divine~Deoxys

I personally reckon they didn't need to make Sinnoh. they shoulda just gone straight onto HeartGold nd SoulSilver

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I don't mind Hoenn, it had it's disadvantages I guess, but it also had a more unique feel than the other regions. The only region I strongly dislike is Sinnoh; it's basically a retard with a big rock going trough the middle of it.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Why do people hate R/S/E

Why do people hate hoenn so much...?

It had the most beautiful music peices.... The best gym leader music aswell, and littleroot towns music was also a beautiful peice....
    It introduced contest which i thought were interesting.... (my ninetales rocks in them)

I think people just hate them because of nostalgia.... or just because everyone else is...

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • I don't hate it.
    My very first pokemon game was Sapphire. :D

I'm guessing People hate Hoenn becuase it was the intersection between the good old days of Kanto & Jhoto, and the new, Sinnoh.

Now that you mention it, Hoenn music was nice and peaceful,
    but some Sinnoh music beats it in my book.
    and the Rocket theme is G/S/C?
    *Drools*

Hoenn the end of Kanto and Jhoto, and Hoenn was the beginning of new.
    Of course some people wouldn't like it.

Years
  • Hoenn is, in my opion, the best region in Pokemon. The world map was exellent, the bosses were tough(especially in emerald), the music was FANTASTIC, and the Pokemon were pretty cool too(even if a lot of them were clones of Gen. 1 Pokemon.)

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
  • I don't hate it. In fact, i think it's the best region.

I don't like Kanto much though.

Ruby was my first game.

And Emerald is my favorite. The Battle Frontier was my favorite thing in Emerald.

Divine~Deoxys

Hoenn Battle Frontier is way better than Platinum, i know that.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • Everywhere I go, youtube, school, even here sometimes people say hoenn was terrible... Why?! I absolutely loved it!

I don't get why people dislike the region either. They have amazing tropical Pokemon, even though the graphics stink and don't look tropical. If the graphics were better and there were some more beaches, Hoenn would be perrrrfect.

And Q-Bone, how dare you insult Sinnoh like that. It is my second favorite region. It is not a huge rock. It had the best graphics, though I was disappointed by the music.

Last edited:

kaminer4545

SHAYMIN LOVER
    Years
  • I loved it because it was a huge improvement from the jhoto region, i didn't like jhoto, it was weird, and its the only one i havent gotten close to beating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back