• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why I think HG/SS won't meet it's expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    I completely agree
    I think HGSS will not only exceed our expectations, They'll make Johto the best region yet again

But i thought Johto was already the best region, so that would make it......THE MOST SUPER-DUPER OMEGA AWESOMENESS, DOUBLE-ULTRA COOLIO REGION!!!!!:D

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    If you think HG/SS won't meet your expectations...I think you're too picky about what goes on in your games. I never heard anyone complain when they made FireRed and LeafGreen. Why should they complain now they are remaking another classic game? R/B/Y were the most simple you could get but I loved the new features in FireRed and LeafGreen. It made the game a lot easier and more fun.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    I think that the series didn't need all of these new pokemon. especially useless ones like luvdisc and bidoof, and that's why I can't wait until HG/SS.

Pokemon will go back to it's old simplicity.

Red

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I think this thread is quite pointless.
    It seems to me it's just another rant of someone who has nothing better to do but complain.
    Why all the negativity?
    Don't be childish. Think about the countless hours Gamefreak and Nintendo have spent slaving over this game. If you can't appreciate their life's work, then I say you are very stuck up and childish.

Find something to complain about that is actually bad and not something that is awesome.

Again, I will repeat what others have said. Someone called you 'Grandpa.' I think they said that rightfully so. The stereotypical grandpa sticks to old ways of doing things and never learns about new technology. I imagine there were even people who complained about having electricity and how they would prefer torches and crapping into a hole instead of light bulbs and toilets. You aren't much different. You prefer something old and clunky to something new and refreshing.

You argued that you liked the simplicity of the old games. (Well, you said 'we' trying to put words into our mouths.) Well, the older games were far more complicated and harder to play than the new ones. The current interface allows for very simple easy-to-understand game play. Heck, they even explain things in more depth so you don't have to figure it out yourself. (If you don't do massive online searches to find the minuscule details that most people don't know from just playing the game.)

In my opinion, you've got it completely backwards. The newer games are much, much simpler than the older games. It's even easier to see what is on the screen.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I think this thread is quite pointless.
    It seems to me it's just another rant of someone who has nothing better to do but complain.
    Why all the negativity?
    Don't be childish. Think about the countless hours Gamefreak and Nintendo have spent slaving over this game. If you can't appreciate their life's work, then I say you are very stuck up and childish.

Dude, I would slave over any game for the kind of money they make! They've got it made. You make it sound like they have a hard life and are struggling.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Wait a second, you're calling me "Grandpa" because I'm calling a game that was complex in it's day simple!? HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE!?

It's interesting how you've responded to one post that doesn't make 100% sense while ignoring plenty of others that were long, well-thougt out and, to be honest, ripped your arguments to shreds.

Just saying.

Red

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Dude, I would slave over any game for the kind of money they make! They've got it made. You make it sound like they have a hard life and are struggling.
    Once you've actually seen what it's like to be in their shoes, all of you will stop naïvely talking about how they only do it for the money. You have no idea who they are or what they think. It's only a stereotype that people who work in jobs that pay a lot only do it for the money. Video game developers are a special group of people who do their job when no one else can. They only get paid a lot, because there aren't many able to do what they do.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • If you think HG/SS won't meet your expectations...I think you're too picky about what goes on in your games. I never heard anyone complain when they made FireRed and LeafGreen. Why should they complain now they are remaking another classic game? R/B/Y were the most simple you could get but I loved the new features in FireRed and LeafGreen. It made the game a lot easier and more fun.

Because maybe some people can't live outside of the pass, threads like these get nowhere especially for a game that many people want to get.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    It's interesting how you've responded to one post that doesn't make 100% sense while ignoring plenty of others that were long, well-thougt out and, to be honest, ripped your arguments to shreds.

Just saying.

Funny how they can spell and make sense, too.

Again, I will repeat what others have said. Someone called you 'Grandpa.' I think they said that rightfully so. The stereotypical grandpa sticks to old ways of doing things and never learns about new technology. I imagine there were even people who complained about having electricity and how they would prefer torches and crapping into a hole instead of light bulbs and toilets. You aren't much different. You prefer something old and clunky to something new and refreshing.

You argued that you liked the simplicity of the old games. (Well, you said 'we' trying to put words into our mouths.) Well, the older games were far more complicated and harder to play than the new ones. The current interface allows for very simple easy-to-understand game play. Heck, they even explain things in more depth so you don't have to figure it out yourself. (If you don't do massive online searches to find the minuscule details that most people don't know from just playing the game.)

In my opinion, you've got it completely backwards. The newer games are much, much simpler than the older games. It's even easier to see what is on the screen.

WTF? There wasn't all the excess crap in the old games. In the first there wasn't even separate pockets.

Simple - having few parts; not complex or complicated or involved
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Everything is more complex in the new games! Not only have you got normal pokeballs, you have Premiere balls, and dark balls, and cherish balls, and all that crap, and even though those were in Johto to, there were less and they were more easily seperated. The bags in the new games have more parts, and were more complex. The old games didn't have as many excess features, so they were less complex.

Clunky - Ungainly and awkward to use
    (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clunky)

The first games used a portable system that was sort of big, but decent. The new ones use this huge, dual-screened monster. That's clunky. Constantly switching between button and stylus control schemes? That's awkward, that's clunky. Having a Gameboy with one screen to play a game that only requires one screen? That's clu.... oh, wait, it ISN'T! And neither is completing all the dang tutorials before the second city, something Platinum can't accomplish!

Last edited:
    Years
    • DC
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Meh, I just think a lot of you kids got your start playing Gen II games, and you don't want anything to screw around with that.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying something new - even if it's a rehash.

PiplupGHacker

Keeping the dream alive.
    Years
  • I agree, Nintendo is working WAY to hard on this game, trying to make it perfect, when it's not needed. The reason people, IMO, like GSC so much, is because they were the only games that never had a re-make until now. When HG/SS comes out, people will stop playing GSC, and it will die out, like the rest of the originals.

I first read your avatar and signature, thinking you would be disagreeing, but I guess I thought wrong.

I really, have NO PROBLEM with any of these new features. I often wish I had running shoes in silver when I replay it, a long with a lot of other new features I'm used to. Sure, they seem stupid now, but if we just got the game, without changing anything (remember viridian forest? viridian TREE MAZE, I should say) I mean really, you need to calm down and realize that it will be completely fine with new features, and better in places (kanto, for example)

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2014
    Looks like somebody's afraid of change. :)

Maybe this guy isn't, but I am!
    I finished Red not long after it came out, then got Silver... Then I stopped playing Pokemon games for a long time... Until Diamond came out...
    Which is why, for me, Silver's remake is like... A second chance for me to get used to there being more than 151 Pokemon [and I should be used to it after Diamond, but... I always try to keep a 1st Gen team, simply because they're familiar... like a big happy family of monsters I've been away from for a long time. lol]...

By the way, has anyone noticed that the 2nd gen Pokemon seem to be duller colours than the first one? I was looking at some pictures of second gen game pokemon as they are in the anime, and the seem to be a lot more browns, greens, etc to me...
    I dunno, could it be that Nintendo were going to become more realistic for a time?

[Also, on topic... The phone feature could be interesting with a touch screen... But that depends on how they do it. Perhaps the phone could replace the Poketch, and then it's separate from the bag, which makes sense, because who keeps their phone in their backpack whilst travelling?]

Anyhow, that be me thoughts... To the dude who started this... chill. Play the originals for a bit to cool yourself off... Let the bare necessities come to you [guess what movie's playing in my living room?... lol]

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Funny how they can spell and make sense, too.

WTF? There wasn't all the excess crap in the old games. In the first there wasn't even separate pockets.

Simple - having few parts; not complex or complicated or involved
    wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Everything is more complex in the new games! Not only have you got normal pokeballs, you have Premiere balls, and dark balls, and cherish balls, and all that crap, and even though those were in Johto to, there were less and they were more easily seperated. The bags in the new games have more parts, and were more complex. The old games didn't have as many excess features, so they were less complex.

Clunky - Ungainly and awkward to use
    (en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clunky)

The first games used a portable system that was sort of big, but decent. The new ones use this huge, dual-screened monster. That's clunky. Constantly switching between button and stylus control schemes? That's awkward, that's clunky. Having a Gameboy with one screen to play a game that only requires one screen? That's clu.... oh, wait, it ISN'T! And neither is completing all the dang tutorials before the second city, something Platinum can't accomplish!

The DS is easier to navigate, it makes game more simple, to get through

Back in the day, we only had one pocket, these days, we have more space and organization, we don't have to worry about picking up an item only to discover we can't fit it in. how is that simple? now all we have to do is grab a item, and thats the end of it. if we want to get an item out, we have convienient little pictures to show us which pocket is for what.
    its organized, therefore easier to find things

The extra Pokeballs make catching pokemon easier,
    we have dusk balls to make catching at night and in caves far EASIER than with a ultra ball,

im not sure why you mentioned cherish balls, if im not mistaken, you can't actually USE a cherish ball /facepalm

LOLWUT? the gameboy was fat and clunky as heck
    The DS is slim, not huge, and its easier to hold because its wider and more like a controller than a remote

That fat chunky piece of equipment with a tiny ass screen?
    thats awkward.
    plus, we have to replace batteries on that thing, if you don't have batteries, no soup game for you.
    and you can't tell if your low on power, so it may just turn right off on you
    the DS: Light turns red? just plug it in and continue, Plus we have a backlight.

no we don't have to "constantly switch between touch and button controls" just pick one way to control and let it be the end of it. only time you have to use the buttons in DPPT is to open the menu, and to talk

The tutorials MAKE IT SHITTING EASIER FOR NEWBIES TO PLAY
    once again YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE PLAYING, THERE ARE NEW FANS PLAYING THE GAMES, NOT JUST YOU / ewww caps rape D;

you're going to have to get used to it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2014
    ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ ʇsoן ʇsnɾ noʎ

If you were expecting a Pokemon Game of today to be simple then I dont know what world you come from.

I agree. There's too many Pokemon...
    People look at me oddly when I claim that Zapdos was the best legendary [hey, it looks and feels good to play with Zapdos...], and then they go into huge amounts of reasoning why Celebi, Luigia [I think that's what it's called...], or Dialga, since it created the world [or was it just Sinnoh? I forget.]...
    And then I simply say: It's a freaking bird that electrocutes things- what more do you want?

Another thing is the constant repetition in the games...
    Well, kinda.
    As I've said previously somewhere in these forums, I've only played Red, Silver, and Diamond... Fire red was via roms, after buying and then losing the original kart I had...
    So, after Red, I kinda was getting fed up of Rattatas and Pidgeys everywhere. Then Silver. Ookay... somewhat different with the HootHoots nearby.
    But then... Something bad happened.
    Whoever made the games should be shot for what happened in Diamond.
    Bidoof. The fat... Beavery thing Pokemon. aka: water-type Ratatta
    Starly. The Starling. aka: um... Pidgey with different sprite and natural moveset?
    I mean... they really should have changed it a bit more than that... How about next original game, Nintendo, you put realistic areas for Pokemon to be in. I mean... why would we get a Beaver outside of water? In fact, they rarely come out of water 'cept to get wood, as fas as I know...
    And how about some ecosystems? Pokemon that were designed to look like they eat each other?
    i.e. A cheetah that attacks a deer that's attacking a plant pokemon. makes sense, no?

And there's my fresh thoughts. I'm sleepy now, so good afternoon!

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Spoiler:

You know, after reading this, I think the problem isn't that Pokemon games have gotten too complicated or terrible, but you just don't have any interest in this series anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. People grow out of stuff all the time.

You say that Gen 4 is terrible compared to Gen 2(Which you've played in your childhood) to help comfort yourself with the that you don't like the franchise anymore.

HGSS remaking Gold and Silver and applying new, "confusing" things to what you enjoyed in childhood scares you, so you decided come here and post your gripes with what you're not used as a way to prove to yourself that there's nothing wrong with not loving something that you used to when you were younger so you can move on.

If that's the case, I suggest you get over your displeasure with the franchise and focus on hobbies or whatever that genuinely hold your interest, and leave people who still like Pokemon and are excited for HGSS to their own devices.

If the above isn't the case, then you're probably a troll trying to get a reaction from everyone here. Either, way no one here should bother arguing with you since your stance probably won't change.

Feel free to give an angry response to this, but I won't bother replying.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    Spoiler:

First, it's not simpler when you have to navigate through the flipping pockets just to figure out where your potion is. It's not simpler with pockets at ALL, you crazy loon, it's no longer, do I have space?, it's Where does this go? Do I have space in that pocket?, which is more complicated.

And here's a crazy idea, um, how about, maybe, making the tutorials optional???!!

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I'm freaking 15, I don't think Childhood is the right word.

There's plenty of reasons I actually don't like HG/SS, the new pokemon are either too weird or too unoriginal. It's partly I don't like the DS being so friggin big.

But who am I to say why I won't like HG/SS? It's not like I know myself, however you know every little detail pertaining to my childhood and such. [/sarcasm]

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

DUH! What was he going to say, these games suck? Even if pokemon was just two piles of crap fighting, a nintendo employee isn't gonna say "This game sucks"

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Once you've actually seen what it's like to be in their shoes, all of you will stop naïvely talking about how they only do it for the money. You have no idea who they are or what they think. It's only a stereotype that people who work in jobs that pay a lot only do it for the money. Video game developers are a special group of people who do their job when no one else can. They only get paid a lot, because there aren't many able to do what they do.

No, dude, seriously. These guys make millions. If I were in their shoes, I would mke the game as brilliant as it could be, and when it's all done, I get to have a nice peaceful holiday with my Girlfriend in our holiday home in France. Believe what you want. That's what game makers do. And who wouldn't? And no, they aren't the only people who can do this. With the right training, I could probably produce the same graphics and base the game on Gold/Silver. If they were the only people that could do it, Nintendo would also own Xbox and PS3, which they don't.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2009
    No, dude, seriously. These guys make millions. If I were in their shoes, I would mke the game as brilliant as it could be, and when it's all done, I get to have a nice peaceful holiday with my Girlfriend in our holiday home in France. Believe what you want. That's what game makers do. And who wouldn't? And no, they aren't the only people who can do this. With the right training, I could probably produce the same graphics and base the game on Gold/Silver. If they were the only people that could do it, Nintendo would also own Xbox and PS3, which they don't.
    Umm... Nintendo probably forces GameFreak to sign contracts to 1. make more games on Nintendo's demands and 2. Give most of the profit to Nintendo.

Plus, if you can make more money by changing some sprites and adding color, why not!?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Umm... Nintendo probably forces GameFreak to sign contracts to 1. make more games on Nintendo's demands and 2. Give most of the profit to Nintendo.

Plus, if you can make more money by changing some sprites and adding color, why not!?

Even if Gamefreak got like 5% of all money made from these games, they'd still be making millions. These people are not poor. They are stinking rich. And they aren't just changing colours and adding sprites. That is a serious understatement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back