• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Johto considered the best gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Its obvious, Gen II gave us Heracross, Tyranitar, and Ampharos and Jumpluff, but mostly Jumpluff. It was before the designs started to be awful and the cities had like the whole "ye ol' Japanese" look the them, which was pretty cool. It was long, yes, but it had a radio, a day/night system, breeding, genders and so much more. It was long, but it was fun, not like DPPT which are long, and boring and tedious and filled with Bidoof/Bibarel. Most importantly, its because the pokemon looked semi-believable (I know that makes me sound like I'm 5) but I liked the pokemon that didn't look so, "neo-pet/digimon-like."

Also, the legendaries were cooler, and there werent ten legendary pokemon per game, much like there is now, it was simple 2 birds, and 3 dogs (also celebi, but that was more like a mew copy). Now we have 3 elves, 2 big dragons, 1 god of pokemon, one volcano thing, one for moons, one for night, some weird blue thing, one strange ghost/dragon that does god knows what, one Regi to rule them all (which is a waste because of its useless ability), and some stupid grass thing, that is awful. Add all those together and its: 13 Legendary pokemon in one generation. I remember when it used to be just 4-5.

/rantend.

tl;dr gen 2 is often hailed as the best generation because it was the last game before stuff went downhill (why do you think they are remaking them).

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

Also, the legendaries were cooler, and there werent ten legendary pokemon per game, much like there is now, it was simple 2 birds, and 3 dogs (also celebi, but that was more like a mew copy). Now we have 3 elves, 2 big dragons, 1 god of pokemon, one volcano thing, one for moons, one for night, some weird blue thing, one strange ghost/dragon that does god knows what, one Regi to rule them all (which is a waste because of its useless ability), and some stupid grass thing, that is awful. Add all those together and its: 13 Legendary pokemon in one generation. I remember when it used to be just 4-5.

/rantend.

Would you like me to justify the existence of each and every legendary Pokemon?

Also, since Generation 2 is all about continuity, that's technically 11 legendary Pokemon for GSC. It was not that far off base. If we only had, say, the Hoenn legends (that's 10 including Deoxys), would it be too many, especially considering you only had about half of that available, without Ninty's events? Because that's what you had in Ruby and Sapphire. Latias/Latios, Groudon/Kyogre, Rayquaza, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Jirachi and Deoxys on the side. There were 5 and Celebi catchable in GSC, so don't you even. Small disparity.

Also, one thing I disliked about GSC was that Kanto felt like limbo once you finished the gyms and stuff. Hopefully, HGSS has remedied that.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • Imo, it's because, among other things, Gold was the first Pokemon game I played. I like the actual Pokemon just as much today as I did back then. GSC remains the only generation where I encounter a Pokemon and go "that one looks so cool! I have to catch it!" the Red match, Blue's gym made of LEGOs, the Slowpoke Well incident, the Tin Tower, complaining about Whitney's Miltank, etc. The list goes on for me. Oh! and Sudowoodo. I laughed so hard when I saw him shake his butt in the Crystal animation. And an article in engrish calling Togetic "Togikachu", which is what I name every GSC Togepi I get ever from now on. And... Oh wait, I said I was done. Sorry. So yeah, maybe it's all a nostalgia trip for me.

I completely agree, every pokemon you see on G/S/C you think 'Wow that looks awesome' Where as in pearl you thing. ho-ly ****. I mean lets name a few...

Carnivine - Man The developers must of really been out of ideas on this one.

Probopass - Nuff said

Bibarel - Idiot looking, and foolish to catch. Even if it was shiny i doubt anybody would trade for it.

Also the story line on P/D/PT is a crap stain. They completely changed it from back at Generation 1.

Quoted from Gen I series 'We managed to clone this pokemon from the most powerful pokemon in the world'

'This means that this pokemon is now the most powerful pokemon ever!'

If you don't understand, its Mew and Mewtwo.

Now Arceus is?
    Couldn't they even stick to the bloody storyline?

Even in Gen II they didn't make Lugia, Ho-oh stronger...

Back to the point... I loved G/S/C because when i finished the elite 4 i moved on thinking 'Yay i completed Silver!' Then what? It turns out you can go to Kanto...

Well oh my god, what could ever beat that?

P/D/Pt were mistakes.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I do like johto, but to tell you the truth it didnt realy appeal to me much... It didnt really have much of a story line either! :\ Just the get all gym badges etc (the rocket thing came and went too fast!)

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • Warning: Wall-O-Text

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2013
    in my opinionn johto is the best gen and my favorite game is a generation 2, crystal

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
  • Imo, it's because, among other things, Gold was the first Pokemon game I played. I like the actual Pokemon just as much today as I did back then. GSC remains the only generation where I encounter a Pokemon and go "that one looks so cool! I have to catch it!" the Red match, Blue's gym made of LEGOs, the Slowpoke Well incident, the Tin Tower, complaining about Whitney's Miltank, etc. The list goes on for me. Oh! and Sudowoodo. I laughed so hard when I saw him shake his butt in the Crystal animation. And an article in engrish calling Togetic "Togikachu", which is what I name every GSC Togepi I get ever from now on. And... Oh wait, I said I was done. Sorry. So yeah, maybe it's all a nostalgia trip for me.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
    It's just a really nice nostalgia trip! <3<3<3

CT_400

Turtle Lover
    Years
  • Pretty much the same for me, though my first was Yellow. All the new features like day/night, kurt making custom pokeballs, being able to go back to Kanto and fight all the old gym leaders, and of course it has in my opinion the best rival. It had just a lot of things that the newer gens seem to lack, I thought the 4th gen did a really good job at bringing some of that feeling back though.

Yeah, same here :D

That, and the first Female Character was made.

That made me SUPER happy :DD

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    If nostalgia was the sole reason for choosing my favorite Pokemon games, then R/B/Y would be my favorites. Here's a list of reasons why I consider G/S/C to be my favorite, and the greatest, Pokemon games:

1. The new features. You're right when saying R/B introduced the most features, since they were the first games, but I would say Johto introduced some of the most important features since then. These features are the introduction of Dark and Steel types, the split of the Special stat, breeding, held items, the day/night and day of the week system, shiny Pokemon, and rematching trainers. There are many more changes, but these are the most important in my opinion. Also they were the first Pokemon games that really had color. :P

2. The Pokemon designs. Even though G/S was the generation that introduced the least amount of new Pokemon, those new Pokemon have some of my favorite designs. There's Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Furret, Sneasel, Scizor, Skarmory, Heracross, Kingdra, Ursaring, Donphan, Raikou, Espeon, Umbreon, Ampharos, Steelix, Azumarill, Hitmontop, Houndoom, Lugia, and many others.

3. The Johto region. I've always found Johto to have some of the most memorable locations: From Goldenrod with the Radio Tower and Magnet Train, to Azalea where you rescue the Slowpoke, to Ecruteak with a historic, Japanese feel, to Olivine with its towering lighthouse to Blacktorn with the Dragon's Den, to the relaxing National Park, to the cold Ice Path, to the enigmatic Ruins of Alph, to the Lake of Rage with the Red Gyarados.

4. The ability to go to Kanto. While taking much less time to complete than in R/B/Y, the ability to go to Kanto was still a very significant achievement. Considering the GameBoy's low memory, it was also a technological achievement to have so many more maps and trainers in G/S than in R/B/Y. It added significantly to the post-game content, which certainly isn't a bad thing, either. Lastly, I've always loved the idea of being able to explore the old world in the newer games and seeing what's changed and what's stayed the same over time.

5. The rival (AKA Silver). Silver is easily my favorite rival from any Pokemon game. Blue was a jerk, Brendan/May didn't seem to care about battling much, Wally seemed like a weakling until the very end, and Pearl (Barry) was a bit too much of a clown to take seriously. Silver, though, hit every note right. He did what he wanted to and never apologized for it, which made him feel like a legitimate threat. In addition, he's one of the few characters in any Pokemon game to have good character development, which isn't something you see every day.

6. The music. A lot of my favorite Pokemon music is from G/S/C. From the National Park theme, to the Ecruteak theme, to the Kanto trainer theme, to the Kanto Gym Leader theme, to the rival theme, to the Surfing teme, to the Kanto wild Pokemon theme, to the legendary beast theme, to the Champion theme etc. I can't really explain why I like a piece of music, but you can always find the G/S/C music online if you're curious about them.

7. The battle with Red. I highly doubt a future Pokemon game will ever have a final battle as amazing as the battle with Red. It was probably the biggest twist in any Pokemon game; taking the character you played as in the very first Pokemon games and then making him your final opponent in the newer ones. It shocked everyone and led to a fantastic final battle.

Note that personally, I really like all of the generations. Still, G/S/C are by far my favorite games.

Wow couldn't agree more with what you said even though I like sinnoh and kanto better

Years
  • This may help.

Johto is

The 2nd region with more Pokemon then the first, AND you can catch your old favorites as well? AND YOU CAN GO BACK TO KANTO? WUT?

Exactly. Plus, Shiny Pokemon were added. With those things and more, Johto will always be remembered.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • To save me an amount of rambling...
    If nostalgia was the sole reason for choosing my favorite Pokemon games, then R/B/Y would be my favorites. Here's a list of reasons why I consider G/S/C to be my favorite, and the greatest, Pokemon games:

1. The new features. You're right when saying R/B introduced the most features, since they were the first games, but I would say Johto introduced some of the most important features since then. These features are the introduction of Dark and Steel types, the split of the Special stat, breeding, held items, the day/night and day of the week system, shiny Pokemon, and rematching trainers. There are many more changes, but these are the most important in my opinion. Also they were the first Pokemon games that really had color. :P

2. The Pokemon designs. Even though G/S was the generation that introduced the least amount of new Pokemon, those new Pokemon have some of my favorite designs. There's Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Furret, Sneasel, Scizor, Skarmory, Heracross, Kingdra, Ursaring, Donphan, Raikou, Espeon, Umbreon, Ampharos, Steelix, Azumarill, Hitmontop, Houndoom, Lugia, and many others.

3. The Johto region. I've always found Johto to have some of the most memorable locations: From Goldenrod with the Radio Tower and Magnet Train, to Azalea where you rescue the Slowpoke, to Ecruteak with a historic, Japanese feel, to Olivine with its towering lighthouse to Blacktorn with the Dragon's Den, to the relaxing National Park, to the cold Ice Path, to the enigmatic Ruins of Alph, to the Lake of Rage with the Red Gyarados.

4. The ability to go to Kanto. While taking much less time to complete than in R/B/Y, the ability to go to Kanto was still a very significant achievement. Considering the GameBoy's low memory, it was also a technological achievement to have so many more maps and trainers in G/S than in R/B/Y. It added significantly to the post-game content, which certainly isn't a bad thing, either. Lastly, I've always loved the idea of being able to explore the old world in the newer games and seeing what's changed and what's stayed the same over time.

5. The rival (AKA Silver). Silver is easily my favorite rival from any Pokemon game. Blue was a jerk, Brendan/May didn't seem to care about battling much, Wally seemed like a weakling until the very end, and Pearl (Barry) was a bit too much of a clown to take seriously. Silver, though, hit every note right. He did what he wanted to and never apologized for it, which made him feel like a legitimate threat. In addition, he's one of the few characters in any Pokemon game to have good character development, which isn't something you see every day.

6. The music. A lot of my favorite Pokemon music is from G/S/C. From the National Park theme, to the Ecruteak theme, to the Kanto trainer theme, to the Kanto Gym Leader theme, to the rival theme, to the Surfing teme, to the Kanto wild Pokemon theme, to the legendary beast theme, to the Champion theme etc. I can't really explain why I like a piece of music, but you can always find the G/S/C music online if you're curious about them.

7. The battle with Red. I highly doubt a future Pokemon game will ever have a final battle as amazing as the battle with Red. It was probably the biggest twist in any Pokemon game; taking the character you played as in the very first Pokemon games and then making him your final opponent in the newer ones. It shocked everyone and led to a fantastic final battle.

Note that personally, I really like all of the generations. Still, G/S/C are by far my favorite games.
    This sums it up for me to a good degree. XD GSC is my favourite set of games as well (although I like the others too). Why may be down to nostalgia in part, but it's down to a variety of things besides that, like the above, for me.

Everything just seemed...right, and even the flaws that were noticeable to me back then like the smaller Kanto and so forth weren't big enough to distract. Many a gaming hour was spent doing everything I could then. And GSC did have a lot over the newer games as well in various aspects (never mind graphics - I'm of the opinion that it comes to a rather minor aspect of gameplay itself and back the nobody cared much either anyways) - such as, say, the rival (RSE's did kinda fail for me - they just...weren't interesting. One you barely saw until the end of victory road and the other gave up halfway and gave you stuff for beating them while grinning. D/P/Pt was better with Barry - at least there was some comedy relief with him, but Silver? He was the guy you loved to hate. Already something GSC had over the other games IMO. Many were also disappointed RSE had no time system anymore, or the ability to trade back and forth with the previous generation, and so forth...).

I suppose a good deal of the GSC support is the timing of it - it came out when pokemon was still very, very big, and when everyone and his/her dog played RBY. Then GSC had the other aspect - it seemed to do so much right. Going back to Kanto? Great! New Pokemon? Neat! Many new features like the Time-based system, the Pokegear, shiny pokemon, breeding and many more? Fantastic! It ticked all of the boxes. It fixed much of what was wrong with RBY like the imbalance of types and certain moves, etc as well.

Of course not everyone thinks that GSC was the bees knees - I've seen many a person say that 3rd gen was the best for them in their opinion for instance, and the same for the 4th gen. Certainly compared to the others when released considering capabilities of their times, GSC was the best IMO as well there.

Would you like me to justify the existence of each and every legendary Pokemon?

Also, since Generation 2 is all about continuity, that's technically 11 legendary Pokemon for GSC. It was not that far off base. If we only had, say, the Hoenn legends (that's 10 including Deoxys), would it be too many, especially considering you only had about half of that available, without Ninty's events? Because that's what you had in Ruby and Sapphire. Latias/Latios, Groudon/Kyogre, Rayquaza, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Jirachi and Deoxys on the side. There were 5 and Celebi catchable in GSC, so don't you even. Small disparity.

Also, one thing I disliked about GSC was that Kanto felt like limbo once you finished the gyms and stuff. Hopefully, HGSS has remedied that.
    Well, Celebi was catch-able in the Japanese versions, but not the english ones. >_< And HGSS has increased the size of Kanto - for instance there's actually a Viridian Forest!

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
  • According to the people on here you have to like everything that's new and consider it an improvement upon the past, otherwise you're biased and basing that opinion on nostalgia.

That's incredibly stupid by the way.

The reason Gold/Silver/Crystal is the best genration is because it was the last generation with actual thought and creativity put into the gameplay; from the characters, to the towns, to the Pokemon. Pokemon games after that are just generic, bland, and overly-easily to guess.

Years
  • This may help.
    Johto is
    The 2nd region with more Pokemon then the first, AND you can catch your old favorites as well? AND YOU CAN GO BACK TO KANTO? WUT?
    Exactly. Plus, Shiny Pokemon were added. With those things and more, Johto will always be remembered.

Exactly, what I think too. Very well put and in a short amount of words.
    They added so many things. Shiny Pokemon, Johto Pokemon AND Kanto Pokemon in one game, Pokemon Eggs, etc. This too is my favorite generation. Johto will always stand above the other generations.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    According to the people on here you have to like everything that's new and consider it an improvement upon the past, otherwise you're biased and basing that opinion on nostalgia.

And to be honest, it's hard to argue with that logic. Every generation of Pokemon is pretty much the same as the one that proceeded it, but with more features. Not everyone may like the new features, but for the most part the old features are left in tact (apart from in gen 3 when the day/night system was removed, though it was replaced by the weather system which was like an evolution of the day/night system). I find it difficult to understand how some people can say that the games are getting progressively worse, when each one is the same but more.

I could understand the subjectivity if Pokemon were more like Final Fantasy, where every game is vastly different. But it's not. Every new Pokemon game is a refinement of the formula.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    The 2nd Gen has something about it that continues to lure me back to it... It's not nostalgia, as if that were the case I'd be all over the 1st Gen.

I mean, I prefer the 2nd Gen over their remakes, even. Lets take a look at what made it click for me.

-The Johto Region
    I love the way the region was set-up. from the giant rectangle of routes that contained Violet City, Azalea Town, and Goldenrod City to the isolated Cianwood City.

-The Music
    Many of my most favorite tunes are found in Johto, most notably the music found within the landmarks, such as Tin Tower and Dragon's Den. It is unforunate that Slowpoke Well and Mount Moon had their music changed in HG/SS to something more generic.

-The Pokemon
    251 Pokemon, all singlehandedly designed by Ken Sugimori(Starting in 3rd Gen, he got some assistance to help design new Pokemon, although he does all the official art). Unlike Generations that follwed it, all 151 Pokemon from the previous Gen were present in one form or another, even being in the Regional Pokedex.

-The Special Features:
    -All three of the 2nd Gen Gameboy games used the infared sensor on the Gameboy Color to do Mystery gift, in which you got many exclusive items as well as decorations for your room.
    -The Japanese versions of Crystal and Stadium 2 used a Mobile Adapter that was not unlike the Wi-Fi Trading and Battling introduced in Diamond and Pearl.
    -The Pokemon Pikachu 2 was a fun diversion and a way to get the elusive Rare Candies in bulk(Altough you needed the patience of a Saint, even if you shook it)
    -Trading with 1st Gen. Unlike Generation IV, Trading between Generations was a two-way thing. One could trade things like Thunderpunch Alakzam to their 1st gen game and annilate opponents while getting in return a Submission Poliwrath.

-Crystal
    For me, Crystal version defined the 2nd Gen.
    -First playable Female Characer int he main series(The first in the entire franchise, however, goes to Mint in the Japan-Only Pokemon TCG 2 for Gameboy Color)
    -First Legendary-based subplot
    -First game with Animations(They had 5 frames as opposed to 2 frames used in Emerald onwards)
    -First Battle Tower
    -First Special Event(GS Ball Celebi, exclusive to the Japanese Version)
    -The Precursor to the Wi-Fi features in later games(Used the Mobile Phone Adapter, one could trade and battle with people within their area of Japan, also a Japan Only Feature)

-Stadium 2
    Stadium 2 had many fancy features, including its own Mystery Gift and (in Japan) a Mobile Phone Adapter feature when used with Crystal. The biggest, and most overlooked, feature is that is is the ONLY example where one could battle cross-generation(using 1st and 2nd Gen games against each other) in the entirety of the Series

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • You know, when I kept seeing the "omfg 2nd gen is teh bestest!!!1one" arguments on this forum, I scratched my head and wondered just why it is people just adore the frack out of this generation so much, and then it hit me:

Nostalgia Bias.

You know why? Because it was the first game most people ever played. I played RBY first, personally, so I'm inclined to have this same bias in this argument and say that Gen I was my favorite.

But what frustrates me about this topic is that nobody ever argues why Johto is the best. People always go with the mindset that Gen II is the best. Why are you bringing up Kanto? Kanto's not a part of Johto.

My arguments in that Johto was not the best region stem from the fact that as a standalone region, it sucked. It was more of a sequel than a standalone region, and that's part of what makes me prefer the later generations (Especially Gen IV) - Johto needed Kanto; without it, it outright sucked. Imagine not being able to travel to Kanto and get the other 8 badges, do that pointless and tedious Power Plant quest, and most importantly, partake in the epicness that is the Red battle. Would you be so inclined to sing its praises? You came all this way to fight an Elite Four who caps off at the halfway mark? Yeah, fail.

Dark and Steel were introduced solely to balance Psychic-types. IMO, Steel is an unbalanced type nowadays because most of the offensive Steel-types are incredibly difficult to take down and force Fire attacks to be used.

The Special split was necessary, though. Imagine Blissey with 155 base Special Attack...*shudder*

A lot of the introductions in Gen II were great, but IMO, Gen IV's was the best for competitive battling with the physical/special split and the necessary reordering of end-of-turn aftereffects, so that Pokemon didn't just roll over and die to Sandstorm.

Sudowoodo, Dunsparce, Wobbuffet, and a few others. There weren't many ugly Pokemon in Gen II, but the ones who were, were just horrid IMO. And besides, cool-looking or not, a lot of them couldn't battle for nothing. It took until Gen IV had the smart idea of evolving the vast majority of the terrible ones until they got marginally useful. And even then, Gliscor became the only one with real merit, and he's still not even that good (despite being my personal favorite).

And lol @ Typhlosion; have any of you seen how God-awful ugly it looks in the anime? XD

Violet = that place you go so you have 1000 directions to track the dogs in.
    Azalea = some old guy makes balls for you
    Goldenrod = gigantic and confusing, and you're here all too much.
    Ecruteak = actually a neat and generally interesting place. plus there's ho-oh. and the dogs.
    Olivine = that tedious lighthouse and that random gym leader with no flunkies that's actually really hard in gen II.
    Cianwood = you get your badge here and then never go here ever again. except in gen IV, when they fixed this.
    Mahogany = like goldenrod in that you're here for too long. stupid team rocket...
    Blackthorn = omfgdragons. the place is so boring it makes me sick. the dragon's den is sorta nice but it's still a rather dull city IMO.

What was that about an interesting region?

Oh, and the Dark Cave / Mt. Mortar; possibly the most useless dungeons EVER? Every single dungeon in Johto felt tedious, unnecessary, and boring. The only saving grace is the Ice Path, whose wild Pokemon are at least interesting.

Again, fuels the argument that Gen II is the best gen, not Johto is the best region. Going back was nice, though. My biggest problem is that the difficulty curve dips in the beginning, then just SKYROCKETS. If they went something like: 52, 55, 58, 61, 64, 67, 70, 73, 81, then I'd be a bit more ready to take on Red (since I don't just train one Pokemon, my starter, and no other Pokemon, my team's ~60 at best when I fight Red) I just hate the downright retarded difficulty curve in Kanto. That whole part about "seeing what's changed and what's stayed the same over time" is a good argument however, and I'm sure it's what got a lot of people into Gen II as a whole.

Even though Blue was a jerk, he's still better than Silver IMO because you want to put Blue in his place and shut him the hell up. Silver isn't someone you feel you need to beat, and he felt more like an obstacle than anything else. However, he probably had better character development than 90% of Pokemon characters period, and his attitude and nature did make him feel like a threat.

Still, I thought Blue (Green? XD) was the better rival overall, because he was the Champion, for God's sake! (SPOILER ALERT!)

This is something I simply can't argue. No ifs, ands and buts about it; Gen II had better music than anything before or after it. The only thing that can possibly compare is the console music, IMO, and that's because Pokemon + Guitars = epic. There are a few themes you can nitpick from the other generations, but virtually every theme in GSC is memorable.

However, RBY's Champion theme > GSC's, IMO. I don't know why everyone loves GSC's so much, and the horrible remake of it in HG/SS. Nostalgia Bias! XD

Without a doubt, Red is the biggest twist ever to be put in a Pokemon game. My problem is that, in Gen II, his team had Espeon in it, which just got all the Eeveetards to think that Ash was catching one in the anime (because half of them don't realize that the manga does indeed exist, which is a truer representation of the games than the anime, IMO). That, and as outlined earlier, with him, the difficulty curve just skyrockets a full 23 levels. And Blue was no cakewalk.

I don't want you to feel that I'm attacking you with my counter-arguments. I simply quoted your post because I felt it presented the most, and the strongest, pro-Johto arguments, and I thought it would be a good base to present counter-arguments to each of your points.

Gen IV might have had uninspired designs, but they can still kick ass. Has Heatran, a giant volcanic train Pokemon, ever fought you? It's not very fun watching your Charizard's Flamethrower turn it into a crazy-powerful killing machine. :V

On top of that, I'll end by saying, looking at GSC's competitive metagame makes me want to cry. Nothing but stall wars and CurseLax...for shame.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Umm... I liked GSC the most even before it was considered Nostalgic.

And I started with 1st Gen, like you.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • everything said above counts for me, but I would like to mention my 2 favorite video game music of all time come from jotho! The red/Lance battle and the #1 the Kanto gym leader battle.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • My arguments in that Johto was not the best region stem from the fact that as a standalone region, it sucked. It was more of a sequel than a standalone region, and that's part of what makes me prefer the later generations (Especially Gen IV) - Johto needed Kanto; without it, it outright sucked. Imagine not being able to travel to Kanto and get the other 8 badges, do that pointless and tedious Power Plant quest, and most importantly, partake in the epicness that is the Red battle. Would you be so inclined to sing its praises? You came all this way to fight an Elite Four who caps off at the halfway mark? Yeah, fail.
    The reason Johto was made shorter than other regions was to include Kanto. It's a matter of fitting everything into the GameBoy's memory. If Kanto wasn't there, I can almost guarantee that they would've made Johto larger.

You think Johto needs Kanto because Johto was made to compliment Kanto. It wasn't made to be its own isolated region like Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh were. It was meant to be part of something larger. (And technically, you do battle Red in Johto :P)

Sudowoodo, Dunsparce, Wobbuffet, and a few others. There weren't many ugly Pokemon in Gen II, but the ones who were, were just horrid IMO. And besides, cool-looking or not, a lot of them couldn't battle for nothing. It took until Gen IV had the smart idea of evolving the vast majority of the terrible ones until they got marginally useful. And even then, Gliscor became the only one with real merit, and he's still not even that good (despite being my personal favorite).
    I like Sudowoodo and Wobbuffet. :(

Even though I'm a bit into competitive battling, I don't care about how strong or weak a Pokemon is considered. If I like a Pokemon, I'll find a way to use it.

Violet = that place you go so you have 1000 directions to track the dogs in.
    Azalea = some old guy makes balls for you
    Goldenrod = gigantic and confusing, and you're here all too much.
    Ecruteak = actually a neat and generally interesting place. plus there's ho-oh. and the dogs.
    Olivine = that tedious lighthouse and that random gym leader with no flunkies that's actually really hard in gen II.
    Cianwood = you get your badge here and then never go here ever again. except in gen IV, when they fixed this.
    Mahogany = like goldenrod in that you're here for too long. stupid team rocket...
    Blackthorn = omfgdragons. the place is so boring it makes me sick. the dragon's den is sorta nice but it's still a rather dull city IMO.

What was that about an interesting region?
    Violet: I'm not really a huge fan of this city, since Sprout Tower is pretty repetitive in my opinion.
    Azalea: There's fighting off the Rockets in Slowpoke Well. It's a case of saving kidnapped Pokemon, which I don't think had ever truely been done before then.
    Goldenrod: If you think Goldenrod is large, have you ever seen some of the cities in Sinnoh?
    Ecruteak: Agreed.
    Olivine: I really enjoyed the lighthouse, as well as the whole quest to save the sick Ampharos.
    Cianwood: There was the battle with Eusine in Crystal, although you still weren't there long.
    Mahogany: I really liked the Rocket Hideout, personally. The traps were a nice feature and this was also the first time in Pokemon that the character teamed up with the champion. I also felt that the atmosphere worked.
    Blackthron: The two main features of this place are the gym and the Dragon's Den. They could've added more there, but I still feel that what they did have worked very well.

It seems that you criticize a lot of places in Johto for either not having enough to do or having too much to do. However, all regions have places like that.

Again, fuels the argument that Gen II is the best gen, not Johto is the best region. Going back was nice, though. My biggest problem is that the difficulty curve dips in the beginning, then just SKYROCKETS. If they went something like: 52, 55, 58, 61, 64, 67, 70, 73, 81, then I'd be a bit more ready to take on Red (since I don't just train one Pokemon, my starter, and no other Pokemon, my team's ~60 at best when I fight Red) I just hate the downright retarded difficulty curve in Kanto. That whole part about "seeing what's changed and what's stayed the same over time" is a good argument however, and I'm sure it's what got a lot of people into Gen II as a whole.
    I do agree that the difficulty curve is a bit odd. It does show that nobody comes close to matching Red's strength, though.

Even though Blue was a jerk, he's still better than Silver IMO because you want to put Blue in his place and shut him the hell up. Silver isn't someone you feel you need to beat, and he felt more like an obstacle than anything else. However, he probably had better character development than 90% of Pokemon characters period, and his attitude and nature did make him feel like a threat.

Still, I thought Blue (Green? XD) was the better rival overall, because he was the Champion, for God's sake! (SPOILER ALERT!)
    I can see where you're coming from here. Silver is a jerk to you, but in a different way than Blue (Loves to kick you :P).

The thing about judging is that it all comes down to opinion. There is no right or wrong answer, because it all comes down to personal taste.
    As for what you were saying about nostalgia bias in general, I'm just saying that personally, I started with R/B/Y and loved them, but I still like G/S/C more. :P

Personally, I thought the question was of why G/S/C are considered the best games, rather than why Johto is considered the best region. Even without Kanto, though, I still think that G/S/C are very well done games.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back