• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Johto considered the best gen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
Years
  • Johto was tied with Sinnoh and a tad bit above Hoenn's Emerald in my opinion.
    1.The first notice was the new pokemon.That had me going ham!I actually thought catching a Sentret would be awesome until i found out it was the new Rattata(which i still dont know why they put an a at the end but its silent....)My first choice was a totodile and until i tried Cyndaqul on Silver(i bought all the GENERATION Games except Pearl because of the name....Homo...)it was a blast.And the fact that you get a free shot to catch a shiny instead of hoping for that random number $#!+ was good too.

2.The berries....Can i say an excellent addition to the game?It started the feature that is seen throughout the future games!When you didnt have a potion in your bag and your starter never hit beyond yellow, and you noticed the little balls circle in on it,you'd be like WTF ? That was awesome..
    3.and this one i loved...THE BAG SYSTEM! they divided the pockets instead of having one big @$$ list!Berries Items Pokeballs Key Items, TMs and HMs..Made life easier...

4.The Rival...best one ever....Blue and Barry were paritally the same as they both wanted to be the best trainer and was close to being one step ahead until getting knocked off by you, Dawn and May were there to be G rated Love interests and help you out a little in the game and Wally was... well.....A wimp....Kamon/Silver was a bas@$$ goth-like emo reject who didnt give a d@mn about anyone! You could have made an assumption that he was apart of team rocket but no one knew that until either HGSS came out or you read the manga that Giovanni was his dad.Then he has Character developement and a change of heart in the end that seemed to be touching....
    5.Quests...You may not realize it but they put in a secret quest system in the game.The fact that you had to climb Sprout Tower for Flash,Slowpoke well to Acess the Gym and Kurt's Pokeball System, Finding Faretch'd in the forest,Riding the bike to keep it, winning the thrid badge so you could get the squirt bottle to catch Sudowoodo, Unlocking the Unown and the secret items in the Ruins of alph..everything was just awesome and made thestory longer.This is one of the MAIN reasons why i play this game still.

6.The introduction of Steel and Dark types.To me this was definently needed to add a little more flavor.and if im not mistaken,wasnt this the same generation that introduced two type pokemon?Like Ho oh was Fire Flying and such?If not then my bad....

7.The legendaries....AWESOME STORY. To this day the only legendary dog I caught was Raikou.Could never catch Entei and Suicune never got regestered in my pokedex.Lugia and Ho Oh...the fact that you could catch one now and the otherone later was awesome and really help with the pokedex when you didnt know anyone with a cable cord.And Celebi....Cant even speak on that....Mew and mewtwo's story wasnt even great because all you read were little diary texts in one town...

8.Day/Night Feature.Helped improved the way to catch the pokemon if you could never find the one you wanted.Helped me out with the pokedex,Lullibies and a lot of other things which brings me to
    9.The Radio.And its the only thing unique to Gen II. Buena's Password is what started me getting addicted actually...i disappointed me we RSE didnt have the radio or the trip back to Johto or Kanto which dissappointed me even though the remade Kanto with some Johto/Orange Island Substitute which wasnt cool.This brings me to
    10.THE TWO REGIONS! You guys may have not noticed and if you did, awesome.Kanto was resized and made smaller so the two regions would fit.This included Cinnabar,Seafoam Islands,The Safari Zone in Fusica Mt Moon, Viridian, The part of the pokemon league with the badge gaurds, and lavender town's Radio Tower.But they hid it really well.They made me feel as if it was REALLY three years later and so much has changed.And then they bought back Snorlax.....Memories....speaking of memories, remeber this guy?

11.You! well..if you play gen I then its you....red is back(as well as blue but no one cares....He did have that Arcanine with Extreme-speed that annoyed me...)as THE FINAL POKEMON CHALLENGE AND BY FAR THE STRONGEST IN THE SERIES UP TO DATE!!! his pikachu,Charizard,Blastoise,Venasaur, and Espeon(Now Lapras) had me feeling for my life.And he had no emotions...not a word....Just ..... before and after the battle....They could have made him say SOMETHING or drop something but it was still awesome to battle myself....Speaking of Which,Remember Kal from that place in Viridian?wasnt he decent?The only time i could face myself because they hid him/her in the new games behind that one door you couldnt enter.kinda crappy but a well...

Sure theres some more stuff that i wanted to say but i have already said alot and this should be pretty sufficent and if its not...suck on it...Just kidding XD

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I think it's because it's the last set of games before Pokemon went GBA and concurrently postal, as it seems the designs of most of the 3rd gen Pokemon are highly bastardized. It also seems like 3rd gen was just so many steps back from GSC, especially when we all thought that over 100 Pokemon were missing. Then, of course, we knew the truth, but the games were no more appealing until FR/LG.

But Emerald was another let-down and we had to wait until D/P for any real "surprises", most of which were things that we either had in GSC or should hav had in RSE. So taking the release dates of the games into account, GSC was much better for its time period.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • It really depends on who grew up with the generation. My age group grew up with the 2nd and 3rd generations. I really cant stand people talks down on the 3rd and 4th generation because of pokemon designs, landmass (water), etc. Well I'm sorry to tell you but johto itself had its flaws just like every other region/generation. Johto is my 2nd favorite region, hoenn comes in first because I grew up more with the 3rd generation than the 2nd.

off topic: in anime wise the johto saga was the best, the hoenn saga comes in 2nd imo

Years
  • because it was the great step compare gen 1 and gen 2, gen 2 had so many new features and graphic improvement that made gamer impressed, all next gen could not do the thing like that

Years
  • Gold was my first Pokemon game ever. I first played it in 7th grade when I found out there were actual pokemon games. (2003)

OMG, it was incredible. Great music. I loved how my mother in the game saved my money for me. I loved the introduction. I love the music that played when my mom spoke to me. I loved having dolls in Gold's room. I love the male protagonist in this game. I loved his outfit. The backwards hat was epic win. The starters. Oh those adorable starters. All of them were magnificent. My first Pokemon was Chikorita. I noticed Ash had one in the anime, so I got one as well. I didn't have the guidebook and didn't know what the other evolutions would be. I knew about type advantages so I didn't use level 17 Bayleef against Falkner. I caught a Caterpie and used Butterfree's Confusion on Falkner's Pokemon. Sprout tower was great, Slowpoke well was great. All the Johto locations were wonderful. I loved the weekday siblings who gave you items. Youngster Joey was awesome with his Rattata. I loved going to Mr. Pokemon's house and discovering a Pokemon was stolen. It was the red haired lad who did it. I battled him, and I loved his personality instantly. Perfect for an opponent. Best Rival Ever. He called you weak, and you were determined to win. He also disliked Team Rocket as well. I love when I leave my house and the guy says "Yo, Gold. I hear prof. elm got some new Pokemon." I liked getting to call trainers on the pokegear and listening to the radio. Radio should have been in future games as well. Team Rocket was really cool. I loved Red Gyarados, and all the Pokemon Johto had to offer. I loved seeing Kanto Pokemon for the first time in a Pokemon game. You should have seen my reaction when I first caught a Magikarp. That was amazing. The gym leaders were fantastic. I loved their unique qualities. Whitney and Clair refused to give me badges, etc. I love everything about GSC. Day and Night system, Teddiursa/Phanpy, the legendary beasts, Ho-oh and Lugia. My favorite starters.

I may add more tomorrow.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Because it is.

Generation II was good because:
    • It had two regions.
    • The Pokemon designs were decent, unlike pokemon such as Probopass/bronzong etc.
    • Kanto was in it! =D
    • You could get both legendaries.
    • Quite a few challenges *cough*Miltank*cough*
    • The rival was awesome!
    • Team Rocket was in it.
    • It was basically a sequal to Red/Blue/Yellow, unlike the other games.
    • There was a good balance between baby pokemon/evolutions and new pokemon
    • The list goes on.

As for the region itself, it had many landmarks, such as a radio tower, a lighthouse and contained Mt Silver (unless it was in kanto xD). Also, it was very Japanese-like, however I bet the majority of people who liked the 2nd gen the most is because Kanto was in it. :\

Years
  • Why Johto is the best generation?
    Because the graphics and gameplay are similar enough to RBY for nostagia people, but also already developped enough to attract others.

- - -

By the way, I wonder if anyone else noticed this, I find it funny:
    Why is Johto considered the best gen?

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Some of these arguments don't make sense. First of all, you say Johto introduced so much, well Kanto introduced Pokemon itself so why isn't the best. If Hoenn introduced these things, would it be considered the best. I want people to look at the Pokemon in Johto and see that they aren't really that good compared to the rest. Okay Skarmory and Heracross are win, but Furret? What's that all about.

Omn

Moogle King
    Years
  • The reason why the first gen isn't called the best one is because of the fact that johto added all those new features to the game.Even though the first gen started the world of pokemon if you compare it to gen 2 it kinda sucks. Gen 2 had revolutionized pokemon and all those that followed kept all of the new features.

The pokemon were amazing back then with only 251 pokemon and barely any legendaries. The new types had created new fresh pokemon which stats where amazing at the time. Now they all just suck cause Nintendo has come up with new pokemon with higher stats and so on cause they have a higher demand for pokemon. And remember the fact they are old so compared to the new its not that good.One more thing is that some off the pokemon that nintendo has made are way to complex like Arceus god of pokemon(I will NEVER ACCEPT),dialga and palkia. Before legendary pokemon controlled stuff they were just elemental like zapdos articuno and moltres or Entei Raikou and Suicune. You see what i mean

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • Some of these arguments don't make sense. First of all, you say Johto introduced so much, well Kanto introduced Pokemon itself so why isn't the best. If Hoenn introduced these things, would it be considered the best. I want people to look at the Pokemon in Johto and see that they aren't really that good compared to the rest. Okay Skarmory and Heracross are win, but Furret? What's that all about.

Wow, you people convinced me.. *shakes head* NO! I don't get the hype for this lame generation with ugly Pokemon. I really should play Silver, because that's what peoples opinions are focused on with Kanto in it and all that, to see the hype. If only someone could lend me it 0:-)
    So you're attacking G/S/C even though you've never actually played them?

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Makes you wonder how many of you people even still actively play 2nd Gen games. I just purchased a Crystal version with a replaced memory battery on Ebay, got it in the mail, and am currently working on it to get pumped up for Stadium 2.

I still played 1st Gen games after FR/LG were released(Even after purchasing LeafGreen), so I don't know why I should act any differently with 2nd Gen, even though I own Japanese copies of HG/SS.

I have all these 2nd Gen games, all with working memory batteries:

-English Silver x1
    -English Crystal x2
    -Japanese Crystal x1
    -English Stadium 2 x1
    None of 2nd Gen games have died yet, but I recently purchased the Crystal with a replaced battery just in case one of them does die.

I'm currently comprehending getting a Japanese Stadium 2(Called Stadium GS in Japan) so I can battle with my Japanese Crystal Pokemon in 3D.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Oh jeez, I had no idea that anyone would have to even ask that. Johto is the best for obvious reasons, lol.

I will be another person to add to your list. Yet, I'll push it even further. I believe Sinnoh, Hoenn, Orre, and Kanto completely SUCKED next to Johto. Johto had the best music, best Pokemon, best rival, best characters, best Gym Leaders, best starters, just the best everything. You've got Red, the trainer house, awesome locations, so many things to do, so much more than the other games, and two whole regions with 2 sets of gym leaders. That's ****ing awesome as hell IMO. I have never seen a Pokemon game even come CLOSE to beating the Johto games. XD

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • The funniest thing is that I've played all the Generations except II. The reason is that I can't stand the Pokemon. I'll try though, I'll see if I can get hold of one.

SiReNzZ

I ♥ Misty.
    Years
  • I think most ppl love Johto as it was the location of the first game and hosted the first range of Pokémon .

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
  • Why?! Why?!

Well, awesome starters (<3 all of them), awesome music (<3 Dark Cave), awesome 1337 4 (<3 Lance), awesome gym leaders (<3 Clair) and awesome awesome (<3 awesome)

You see? YOU SEE?!

Years
  • ^ Don't listen to him.

Johto, like in my previous post, has the following things, and I'll explain why:

Shiny Pokemon. Shiny Pokemon came in the Gameboy Color, encouraging kids to get it so that they could get this exclusive feature that they could not on the regular Gameboy.

Gym Leaders. It makes sense that Johto would have different Gym Leaders, why? They make up for the Gym Leaders that the other region doesn't have (Kanto in this case). Think about it. They share no other Types that Gyms specialize in with Kanto.

New Types. I will never forget when Dark and Steel types came about. Dark-types could beat Ghost and not only beat Psychic types, but negate their attacks completely, whereas Steel was good for a massive defense, and Scizor, although slower then Scyther, made up in Attack and Defense.

Being able to travel between regions. This is what makes it the best Generation ever, at least to me. Being able to challenge 16 Gym Leaders and travel back to Kanto was very, very fun.

New Pokemon. The Pokemon here were more original then Kanto's (Dunsparce, Heracross, Shuckle, Kingdra, etc.) Pokemon, also some of them looked awesome.

Legendaries. The legends here are awesome. Ho-Oh, Lugia, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, and Celebi. All very, very cool. Also, they have a town (Ercuteak City) about most of them.

Female Character Choice (Crystal Only). In Crystal, Trainers got to choose their gender. Believe me, Girls where thrilled where I lived, especially my sisters. Now, in Gen IV, it doesn't have as much an impact as it did in Gen II...

Special Poke Balls. The Apricorn Balls are my favorite. They're incredible, giving us a choice of Poke Balls besides Great, Ultra and Master.

Pokemon Genders, Daycare. The Daycare helped me a lot on my journey, also Genders helped me get Pokemon my stingy friends didn't want me to have. Just go ahead and breed'em. Also, Genders helped me know what I'm catching.

Special Attack and Defense. You have no idea how much this meant to fans like me. But I think in Gen IV it made a bigger impact.

Bag. The bag got bigger, people! Now, it has 4 parts, not just some single bag. And, it was easy, easy to use.

Pokerus. Pokerus helped increase stats. Beating my friends got easier with this baby~

Pokemon can now hold items. Very helpful in battles, thank you very much.

PokeGear. The coolest thing ever. I loved my PokeGear a lot. Also, you can tell time with this, as well as use your map.

Years
  • well, let's see, there's

- the nostalgia

- the music. gen 2 had the BEST music

- the pokemon designs. the gen. 2 pokemon are very cool

- the fact that it introduced so many things after gen 1 that became must-haves for all the pokemon games (ie held items, day/night (I was VERY disappointed when gen 3 didn't have day/night), etc)

- the simplicity of it (as opposed to future generations). meaning, there wasn't as many stupid pokemon lol. I mean, there were *a few* good pokemon from the later generations but most of them had just too much worthlessness to them to be good. the gen 3 pokemon were ok (not as good as gen 2, but gen 3 did have a few good ones) but come on the gen 4 pokemon were very dumb. almost all of them. this brings me back to my 3rd point: the second gen pokemon were very cool and very awesome and they ended up being taken out of the spotlight by the newer, less awesome pokemon.

- the region was cool. just the basic layout of the map was very fun. plus the ability to go back to kanto, 3 years later, and see the changes, was VERY cool.

there are too many good things about generation 2 to name them all. it was just a better generation overall and since I lost my gold game card I have been praying for a remake like gen 3's. and the Lord answered my prayers :) the remakes were very good. they did not take the good stuff out of the games and they even added more: wifi, pokeathlon, better graphics, etc. hg/ss was a complete success :)

EDIT
    oh yeah, how can I gave forgotten to add this?? one of my favorites about the 2nd gen!
    - the pokegear. I love it. the phone is awesome, as well as the radio, and the time, and just the pokegear is awesome.
    - and oh there's just so much more to name that made gen 2 awesome...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back