• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Pokemon considered childish?

Satoshi-Ash

Master Chris
Years
  • Pokemon, which was one of the biggest hits in America, from when the manga arrived, to when Red and Blue were released. Now it is considered childish. Why is this? Was Pokemon(the manga) originally intended to target children? Or is it now considered childish because of the influence from the anime?

What do you think?

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Pokemon, which was one of the biggest hits in America, from when the manga arrived, to when Red and Blue were released. Now it is considered childish. Why is this? Was Pokemon(the manga) originally intended to target children? Or is it now considered childish because of the influence from the anime?

What do you think?

The Videogames came first :/

Everything else is based around them, including the Manga. Now, I should also note there are about 20+ Different Pokemon Manga, More than one of which are still running.

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
  • Pokemon, which was one of the biggest hits in America, from when the manga arrived, to when Red and Blue were released. Now it is considered childish. Why is this? Was Pokemon(the manga) originally intended to target children? Or is it now considered childish because of the influence from the anime?

What do you think?

maybe because it was started when i was in kindergarden and targeted specifically to my age group so it is still considered childish

Years
  • The fact that the main character is about 10 years old... Now if the first game had a main character 20-years old. Where would this franchise be now?

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    the way ash hugs pikachu and all this friendship speech..i could see why people would call it childish without a second look

ShadowWind

Senkei Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
    Years
  • because Ash can never act mature for once and the fact that he is sometimes childish.

good point he refuses to change his clothes to >.< and whenever something he loves is in danger he must shout out to them and then take a dramatic pause to turn his hat and also is ash retarded he LOVES that hat its like an obsession does he have OCD? ever notice he almost got killed jumping off a cliff trying to catch it in one of the episodes?

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    If anything, the TV show influences most people's opinions on the franchise, as TV is the the favorite pastime of most developed countries. The TV Show is targeted at an audience younger than even the Videogames are, and as such, everyone, including fans, make genralizations about the franchise by what they see on the show (EX: Incorrectly calling Red Ash, and Green/Blue Gary, treating the Orange Islands like a real Region, ect.)

Videogame Canon = The TRUE Canon, set by gamefreak.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Some trainer classes in the first generation were depicted holding whips... I'm not sure what to think of that but it's evident from the pre-anime game generation that Pokemon was more of a teen than child thing. Shame it got buggered over, really.

They're really indepth RPGs and people recognize that.
    I never saw how Pokemon was in-depth at all.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • The fact that the main character is about 10 years old... Now if the first game had a main character 20-years old. Where would this franchise be now?
    XD down a drain? in a trash can?

anyways, I don't know its probably cause 1 person said it was lame then everyone else copied him/her

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Honestly, if you first look at Pokemon it does appear to be childish. Pikachu's appearance gives off the impression that it's a childs' series. Not to mention that the intention of creating monsters seems like it was intended towards the younger audience. Look at it from a neutral point of view though. It's basically fictional creatures (like animals) being trained by their master and sent to battle another one. It's quite childish if you look at it this way. In this case, the majority of the USA look at Pokemon this way. They can't talk, they can only say their names. But meh, not many people will be even willing to start their interest in Pokemon because of their strongly biased views on it, which is also highly influenced by what their friends think. Like Ausaudriel said, I too have a hard time taking the anime seriously nowadays.

I mean, it's a cartoon. When kids age, they'll move apart from their cartoon TV shows and stuff. It's not a show that looks serious at all. The games are however more complex, but people usually wouldn't even want to try the games, and therefore will never know how complex the games really are.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    its childish because it is.
    The games involve single handedly destroying an evil organization as a kid.
    the anime is also childish, not to mention the people who make the dubs now ruin everything.
    Not to mention the cute monsters you catch in capsules.
    it seems really childish, and its supposed to be because its not aimed at the older audience.
    Of course, it does involve strategy and thinking(in the games), so it would seem childish at first glance.
    Tsk tsk tsk, if only nintendo made pokemon hard(er).

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    It's a cartoon. Cartoons used to automatically be for children. Just about every animated movie till very recently was automatically given a G rating, regardless of content. These days you do see more PG and such animated movies, plus adult cartoons such as South Park. But Pokemon just fell into the "it's a cartoon so it's for kids" trap.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    An anime is different from a cartoon, so that's irrelevant. And I mean Pokemon in general.

Anime = Cartoon made in another country (besides the US). So no, you fail.

There is no real difference between an Anime and a cartoon other than cosmetic differences and the amount of violence that is allowed in it. If the tables were turned, would we be calling our own shows Anime? Nope.

Pokemon is probably considered childish because alot of people don't look beyond the fact that there are cute animals in the show.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Probably because of the 8+ rating on the games, people consider games cool when they're like MA 15+, but they haven't played the games.

They're just putting it into a category because they judge the games by their cases, not the gameplay.

Back