• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Pokemon considered childish?

devilicious

dream
    Years
    First of all, the Pokémon anime is made for kids. Defend it with all your might, but you will not be able to prove that wrong. It has a childish plot and very bland characters- it's aimed at children.

The games (and by the games I mean the mainstream RPGs, not crap like Ranger and Dash) are a little different due to the great depht GameFreak has added in the form of IVs, EVs, Natures and general game mechanics.

In the end, 'Pokémon', as a franchise, is considered for kids only because the anime is aimed at them. But Nintendo and GameFreak know that adults play their games- take Pokémon 151 as an example. While it's just a clothes branding, it's a huge step forward for us, 'grown ups', who have played the games since we were children.

Charizard EX

Charizard EX
    Years
    Hehe, You must be reading all my "Pokemon Anime Being Childish" posts.

Why would you ask? It's so obvious. All those childish morals, the friendships, the speeches. And Ash doesn't catch all those legendaries when he has a perfect chance. The plot is childish.

And the BIGGEST THING that is not available in Anime............... VIOLENCE AND BLOOD. I mean, Look at Team Rocket, They get shocked by Pikachu very harshly in every episode and they fly into the air and fall with Pressure and not even a DROP of blood, just no violence, Not even a LIITLE.

BTW, Don't tell me: "It is aimed at little children", I know that anyway. I'm just telling. They are childish because they are and it's TOO MUCH obvious. And those "Goodbyes", those lessons and "We'll see you again sometime"s AND they NEVER see eacth other again rather they forget about it in the next episode.

AND Ash can't even tell That they are jessie, James and Meowth in disguise. Well, he doesn't EVEN get suspicious. He can't even see that the little one doesn't even look like a human and it's talking and it's TOO short. >.>'

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    All those childish morals, the friendships, the speeches.

And morals and friendships are only for children? As adults we can't have morals and friends? Seriously, I think sometimes returning to our roots and watching a "kiddie show" can sometimes remind us about what's important in life.

I usually just compare it to Disney. Cartoons designed with children in mind but enjoyed by people of all ages.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I'm not saying Pokemon ISN'T for children, but Charizard EX, you make no sense.

1. The speech, etc. is just the dub, the original japanese version may well be aimed at adults.

2. You don't need blood and guts to be mature, just as you don't need rude language to be mature.
    It's known the creator of Pokemon doesn't like to mock death, so why would he include such harsh themes in a cartoon based on his creations and morals?
    Are you saying the creator of Pokemon is a child?

Leaf_PKMN-Trainer

Gardevoir Fangirl
    Years
    Sadly, this is the world we live in. If something can be enjoyed by all ages, its seen as childish. Examples of this are: Pokemon, Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, etc.
    If the character has a noticably more cartoon-like appearance, they'll be mocked.

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
    I really don't know; probably because the average human is merely a simian who takes one look at something and labels it.
    Of course, it could be the first image that flashes in their minds is that accursed Pikachu squeaking at them. >=/

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    One word for you.

4KIDS

They've turned this anime into a childish, pathetic anime. I mean the first season was fine. But it started to get bad....Worse and worse with the dubbings.

"Try a jelly filled donut!" 4KIDS sure is dumb. Since when is a jelly filled donut shaped like a triangle and is made of rice -.-'

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
    One word for you.

4KIDS

They've turned this anime into a childish, pathetic anime. I mean the first season was fine. But it started to get bad....Worse and worse with the dubbings.

"Try a jelly filled donut!" 4KIDS sure is dumb. Since when is a jelly filled donut shaped like a triangle and is made of rice -.-'
    I still don't know what those are... =/

DevinRed

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    Because the anime. Its retarded and is very repetitive. But the games are cooler. Srsly, when was the last time you played a game with 10ft tall dragons who control Space & Time?

R a i n n s a n雨

デンリュウ
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    That is exactly what a girl in my class said today.

"Isn't pokémon childish?"

I am thinking... I know 20 year olds who play

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
    Years
    Because Ash cannot grow up and act like the 18-year old that he is.

Or is he older than that?

Also because of the stupid friendship talks. I mean, they are ok every once in a while, but there is one every single damn episode. It is so annoying.

I think the anime is aimed at kids and the games are aimed at teens. Because I hardly doubt a 7-year old could comprehend natures, EVs, and a good moveset.

Wow, seriously only 3 posts from 200? Where does the time go?

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    That confused me sooooo much when I was little O.o

They did the same for some other animes, they called rice balls donuts in sailor moon as well and some other animes I don't remember, I remeber tho after watching pokemon with my little sister she asks me "can we go buy some white triangle donuts" and I'm saying to her "those are rice balls, pokemon just said the wrong thing, there is no jelly inside"

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    i think its mostly just the anime. (which i like!) i can get kids my age interested in anime, but people arent willing to look into it. close minded people only like MTV (sucks), Aeropostale (sucks), and Hip-Hop (sucks)... you know, all the popular stuff. (no offence to people who like MTV, Aeropostale, and Hip-Hop)

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
    One word for you.

4KIDS

ZOMG! I just remembered that quote! Yeah... I remember that quote... haha jelly-filled rice donut.... HA!

Back