• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is your favorite Pokémon your favorite Pokémon?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen today
    So in my time on PC, I've come to learn a lot of people's favorite Pokémon, and a lot of times when I see certain Pokémon I might even automatically associate it with certain users, either because they like them so much and/or they frequently use that Pokémon to represent themselves on the forum(sigs/avs/etc). But something that is less obvious to me sometimes and something I'm genuinely curious about is why someone likes a Pokémon - there are over 700 of them, what makes your favorite the best in your eyes? So that's what I want to ask you guys today!

Who is your favorite Pokémon, and more importantly, why do you like them so much? Is it purely from a design standpoint, or do you really enjoy battling with them competitively? If you like a particular Pokémon because of its aesthetics, do you always try to fit it in your team anyway, even if it's not particularly strong?

Years
  • My favorite Pokemon are almost exclusively my favorite from a design standpoint. I wouldn't necessarily use some of my favorites in battle (Joltik, Slowking), but I think they look really cool and that's mainly what matters to me.

On the other hand, I really like Wigglytuff because of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 lol. Guildmaster Wigglytuff is such an incredibly fun and likable character.

But I think people like choosing one or two Pokemon to represent them because, like you said, it allows them to have something that they can easily be recognized by or associated with.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Umbreon is my favorite pokemon and for Umbreon as well as other of my favorites, it's pretty much purely from a design standpoint. I don't care about how they battle in game. I don't battle competitively so I have no basis for judgement in that regard.

I always tend towards pokemon I find aesthetically beautiful/pretty. I find Umbreon just a beautiful creature and it's also pretty mysterious in my opinion which I like. I also like the yellow rings and other design intricacies.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017

He may not be the Pokemon we wanted, but he is the Pokemon we needed.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    My favorite Pokemon is Psyduck, because like Psyduck, I often get horrendous headaches. I don't get and psychic powers though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
        There are two reasons I can think of right away for Glaceon to be my favorite:
    - First, I just love the design, really cute and cool at the same time, I used to like Shaymin and Cyndaquil but Glaceon beat them of flat :)
    - I love Ice type, and in my opinion, Glaceon represent Ice type perfectly, moreover, I'm currently using it on Pokemon Showdown and it never fails me :)

Years
    • Seen today
    I like Alakazam because there are a lot of similarities between us:
    - Both yellow
    - Both weak attack/def
    - Both have 5000IQ

Yeah there's more, but I hope everyone gets the gist of it.

Years
  • My favourite Pokemon is Zorua and there's a couple of reasons as to why I love it so much. It's design is cool and cute at the same time, not only that, but its ability is one of the most unique and awesome abilities any Pokemon has and that only makes me love it even more.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Oh geez... must resist urge to type too much...

Gorebyss just has everything I want in a single pokemon.

-Perfect, sleek, tropical, adorable, design that can be either of my favorite colors, Pink and Yellow.

-Solid Water Type. Water type is just my favorite type, it always has been, probably always will.

-Gorebyss has an awesome and frightening pokedex lore, which explains it to be an under sea predator that strikes it's prey at high speeds with it's needle nose and then drains its prey of its vital fluids. It amazes me that such a beautiful and elegant pokemon could be so dangerous, it's very cool.

-Gorebyss runs with my favorite move pool of all time, "Surf", "Icebeam", "Shell Smash", "Baton Pass". This move pool does it all, it sweeps, covers weaknesses, sets up, and shares with others. It does everything I would ever want a single pokemon to be capable of doing in a battle, and it is incredibly flexible.

-Gorebyss has great stats for a final evolution that wonderfully supports the move pool I mentioned above. Above average Special Attack and Defense make this pokemon function not only as a fantastic sweeper but it is also a great physical wall in a pinch which is what often gives it breathing room to successfully round off shell smash even when in front of a threat.

-Swift Swim. Good God Swift Swim. Now I'll admit I'm a kind person, I do not run Gorebyss with Rain Dance or Drizzle, because a Gorebyss in rain is a frightening threat that most people can not handle (If I remember correctly during generation 5 Smogon banned Shellsmash Drizzle Gorebyss, because it was just plain stupid powerful and over abused). However I have fought players and NPC's who set up Rain Dance and don't realize the hell they have unleashed on themselves when I throw Gorebyss in.

Gorebyss is just my number one favorite, I don't think any pokemon will ever be able to replace it. (I wrote too much anyways didn't I... :/ )

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • My favourite Pokemon is Lilligant.

Lilligant is a very cute and adorable Pokemon and its innocent charm always makes me smile. It is a very happy Pokemon.

In battle it is also a lot of fun to use. Petal Dance is a powerful move but becomes even more so with just one Quiver Dance Boost and Giga Drain is also a very good move for Lilligant.

In every playthough I try to have a Lilligant on my team if available. :)

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Years
  • Gallade. Not only does it look dope as hell, but it's playstyle is simple, yet effective: Set up Swords Dance and sweep. Mega Gallade fixes up the only thing that really held back normal Gallade: Speed. So you have a Pokemon with monstrous Attack, above-average Speed and Special Defense, access to Swords Dance, powerful physical moves, including Close Combat, my all-time favorite move, and even a broad support movepool with tools like Thunder Wave and Trick. Seriously, Mega Gallade is every hyper-offensive player's wet dream.

Raichael

The Weeaboo Wazzock
    Years
  • I don't know too many Pokemon, but I like quite a lot of the ones I do know. But my favourite? Definitely Gengar, for some reason.

There's just something about its appearance and smile that's creepy, cheeky, and kinda cute at the same time. I like a lot of the moves it can use too (though I'm mainly biased because I just love it so much).
    Gengar is apparently Ken Sugimori's favourite Pokemon too, which is cool.

Last edited:

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • Squirtle is definitely my #1. It all goes back to when pokemania swept through the U.S. back in the 90s. Squirtle initially caught my eye as it was a blue turtle and blue is my favorite color. Combine that with Squirtle being my first pokémon card and getting the Squirtle that squirted water from its mouth as a toy in my Burger King meal pretty much setup that little guy as my favorite 'mon.

It has a fairly simple design and its far from being good in competitive battles (Which I'm still trying to get the hang of) but Squirtle will always be #1 to me. It's been my favorite since gen 1 and that's never gonna change. These days I also see Squirtle as a symbol of my childhood, back when all I cared about was pokémon and my biggest worry was having enough pokéballs and collecting as many cards as possible.

Years
  • Electivire. Why? I was looking for Pokemon to use in the Battle Tower in Diamond and I saw that with proper breeding Electivire could get a moveset that hit something like 13/17 types for Super Effective damage.

Somewhere between breeding about 50 Elekids trying to get an Adamant nature, and meticulously EV Training, the furry sparkplug grew on me. Watching him stomp scrubs in the anime only made me like him more. Now I just wait for the day Electivire becomes OU again.

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
    Years
  • Umbreon. Mostly because he's a very good defender, and he looks FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

But I could be biased, because dark-type is my favorite pokemon type. Or at least it was until Generation 6 ruined it with Fairy.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Umbreon. Mostly because he's a very good defender, and he looks FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

But I could be biased, because dark-type is my favorite pokemon type. Or at least it was until Generation 6 ruined it with Fairy.

Great choice hehe I gotta get a nice Umbreon avatar and sig!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Sableye. Before fairy types he had no weaknesses, he's both dark and ghost which are my two favorites (followed by psychic), and he's a mischievous prankster. Think I first fell in love playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, explorers of darkness. If pokemon were real, I can just imagine him climbing up on my shoulder like Pikachu and making rude gestures at passer by while doing that little laugh of his. His name is Loki, and as soon as Sword Art Online style virtual reality comes along and we get a pokemon game in there, totally making this dream real. That little prankster demon and me will rock it.

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • Monferno is my favorite, but mostly for sentimental reasons. It was my starter in Platinum, and I liked its design more compared to Infernape, and so going through the whole game with it as just a Monferno was a bit... memorable, for me. If Pokemon were real I wouldn't mind having a lil' monkey by my side, haha.
    (But I feel Bewear is a very, very close contender.)

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Flareon is my top favorite Pokemon - Ninetales closely second
    the main reason I love them is since they are based on foxes, and they are my most favorite of all animals, so any Pokemon resembling them are instant favorite of mines, no matter if they are good or bad. That's how I choose my favorites.
    Cats and Mustelids are other species of animals I love a lot, so Pokemon based on them are also high favorites of mine.

Back