• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Why was Pokemon Crystal not named Pokemon Bronze?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Manga bases itself off the games, not the other way around. So the characters called Gold and Silver and later Crystal came about in the manga after they decided on those names for the games (and hence protagonists), iirc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I think it is clear that PLATINUM would logically follow gold/silver, and CRYSTAL, would follow ruby/saphire.

This groups precious metals and precious rocks.

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Well however you guys may follow, Platinum is worth more than Gold, and Platinum is in the category with Bronze, Silver & Gold. Crystal is more of a Stone, rather than a metal. Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald are. That's why I was concern when Crystal first came out, why they didn't name it Platinum. It seem that they were saving it for Mr. Giratina all this time? It's whatever, it is what it is, but logically that's how it should be.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Bronze sounds worse than Gold and Silver though, since Bronze is always considered the runner up prize to those two. I think they'd want something more special for the sequel to imply that it'd be better, so really that shouldn't been platinum by generic ordering of value, and since Diamond and Pearl were gem related, they should've got Crystal :3

Huh, I've never spotted that before. It would've made more sense for Platinum to come after GS, and for Crystal to come after DP.

But I agree, "Pokémon Bronze" would've sounded a bit naff.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Because of suicine's 'horn' shaped like a crystal
    and Ho-Oh = Gold and Lugia = Silver because of their skin colour

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Because of suicine's 'horn' shaped like a crystal
    and Ho-Oh = Gold and Lugia = Silver because of their skin colour

I've never thought of it like that. At first I was thinking Ho-oh isn't gold but apparently he was in the first episode of Pokemon. Kind of makes me wonder why they didn't get Pokemon based on appearance in Pokemon Platinum or better yet, will they do that for the third game of Black and White.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Having bronze would be stupid. what else would you put with is ? tin? Bronze is made up of copper and zinc.
    so you could have copper zinc and bronze as class :p

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I never really thought there were any obscure reasons behind naming the games. I always thought (Black and White aside) that the name of the game was based on the mascot's main color. Why they chose the mascots they chose, I don't know, but they named the game the color they named it because it was the main color of the mascot.

Back